Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 ... LastLast
    Dat Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    If the go APU+GPU, then they probably don't need a 8xxx model GPU anyway.
    itl be an mobile gpu, they will probably have the apu gpu to do the shaders and complex effect and have a main gpu to do the brute force work
    Last edited by Chille; 01-09-2013 at 00:34.

Thank you itachi

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Chille View Post
    itl be an mobile gpu, they will probably have the apu gpu to do the shaders and complex effect and have a main gpu to the brute force work
    Really depends on how its all put together, at the end of the day, the one who makes this thing the most flexible/efficient in the way its put together, its the real winner. Look at how MS dealt with bus bottlenecks last time. Gave them a rendering win all round.

This guy, has yet to be proven wrong in his specs, even if some of th details might be a bit wrong.....

http://pastebin.com/j4jVaUv0
    Last edited by mynd; 01-09-2013 at 00:39.

Dat Guy
    Really depends on how its all put together, at the end of the day, the one who makes this thing the most flexible/efficient in the way its put together, its the real winner. Look at how MS dealt with bus bottlenecks last time. Gave them a rendering win all round.
    Yeah, its gonna be intresting to see how this all plays out, il be buying a ps4 at launch.

Thank you itachi

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    If the go APU+GPU, then they probably don't need a 8xxx model GPU anyway.
    The 88xx series GPU is mobile version for inside the APU in ps4 (speculation ofcourse) and yeah you are correct that rumours for ps4 only said 7xxx series but there is a strong chance those were 'dev kits specs' and not the target ones. for devs kits you use what you have to simulate the final version.

Again, all speculation. Fun fact AMD rebranded all 7000 series to 8000 for OEM versions
    http://www.techtree.com/content/news...hics-oems.html
    Last edited by Itachi; 01-09-2013 at 01:44.
    I wonder when a nuclear warhead goes off, does the frame rate of real life drop?

Veteran
    PSN ID
    King_Dank_Kush
    I doubt the rumor is true. The PlayStation 4 will have to support 4K resolution to even be on par with other platforms (Razer & Shield).
    Best PS3 Website - PSU.com / CollegeOwlz - Sign up now - College Notes, College Textbooks, and Events.

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinPinter View Post
    I doubt the rumor is true. The PlayStation 4 will have to support 4K resolution to even be on par with other platforms (Razer & Shield).
    ROFL, no. Just no.
    Why the hell would they support 4k resolution?
    If you think shield is on a par you have another thing coming.
    Last edited by mynd; 01-09-2013 at 07:00.

Dat Guy
    ROFL, no. Just no.
    Why the hell would they support 4k resolution?
    If you think shield is on a par you have another thing coming.
    Ps4 will support 4k resolution, but i dont think for games, only for movies

Thank you itachi

Elite Sage
    This ^^

Most PS3/XBOX games aren't even 1080p Standard .not to mention that Ultra HD isn't even Mainstream yet.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    If they do support 4K for games, it will only be for games similar to what you would see on mobile devices...don't expect Call Of Duty to show up at 4K resolutions, but Angry Bird Super Star Wars Mega Wookie Space Edition...sure, I could see that running at 4K on the next gen systems.

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

Dat Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    If they do support 4K for games, it will only be for games similar to what you would see on mobile devices...don't expect Call Of Duty to show up at 4K resolutions, but Angry Bird Super Star Wars Mega Wookie Space Edition...sure, I could see that running at 4K on the next gen systems.
    That game sounds awesome, how much?

Thank you itachi

Master Sage
    It would be a waste of power to do 4k games even if they could. They should be smart and stick with 720p 30fps/maybe 60fps.

Superior Member

PSN ID
    Foraeli
    Isn't a GPU an APU? I honestly don't get why they are calling the CPU an APU. APU just sounds like a tossed up term with no real meaning. In the end, I am sure that the Playstation will go with a standard non-OOOE from IMB as they have always.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Quote Originally Posted by Two4DaMoney View Post
    It would be a waste of power to do 4k games even if they could. They should be smart and stick with 720p 30fps/maybe 60fps.
    or 1600 x 900 resolution. Its between 1080p and 720p, but I I think it should be 1080p as standard. Every TV now is coming in 1080p, manufacturers are ceasing 720p panel production, PCs are doing 1080p for years so its time to move on.

Ofcourse you'll always have more power left with less pixels on screen
    I wonder when a nuclear warhead goes off, does the frame rate of real life drop?

Master Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by itachi73378 View Post
    or 1600 x 900 resolution. Its between 1080p and 720p, but I I think it should be 1080p as standard. Every TV now is coming in 1080p, manufacturers are ceasing 720p panel production, PCs are doing 1080p for years so its time to move on.

Ofcourse you'll always have more power left with less pixels on screen
    Of course pc's are doing it because they aren't closed off. You can upgrade them. And I know it'll be more power due to less pixels which is why I stated it. The thing is, most people aren't going to be able to tell a difference. And those that can tell a difference isn't a big enough voice to be heard. They're either going to bite the bullet and buy the system anyways or stick to pc gaming.

We still have devs that can't hit 720p this gen. Hell, tbh, devs could do 1080p now(which I'm sure you know) but that is nowhere near worth it because the graphics would suffer. Not only would the 1080p supporters be upset, everyone would. The same sort of outlook will continue next gen because it just isn't worth it shooting for yet. PS5, maybe.

Show this to the average non pc gaming console player and he won't tell you anything that's different until it's zoomed in. And that's not adding in the fact that these gamers won't have a comparison side by side like this. That's too much power to lose on a closed off system with only little to show for it.

Superior Member

PSN ID
    Foraeli
    You can't really post a compressed YouTube video to show the difference. A 720p screenshot blown up to 1080p and compared to a native 1080p screenshot would be a better comparison.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Quote Originally Posted by Foraeli View Post
    You can't really post a compressed YouTube video to show the difference. A 720p screenshot blown up to 1080p and compared to a native 1080p screenshot would be a better comparison.
    Not to mention on a large TV screen! I personally can easily tell when something is not running at 1080p, when I play something that is 1080p the image is crisp and clean on my TV, but if you pop in something that isn't (while the visuals are still nice) it is not as sharp and has a slight blur to it because of the upscaling. I hope they set 1080p as a standard, depending on the game I can deal with 30fps, but I would hope they would try to make 1080/60fps the standard for this generation...and I know there are people out there that are going to argue against me, but you have to start somewhere! How happy would you be if you bought a blu-ray movie and went home to watch it to find out they decided to only do that movie at 720p and their excuse was because they felt that nobody could tell the difference between 720p and 1080p? I would be pissed! The same thing should be with games...

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    1. Just because casuals won't notice doesn't mean we shouldn't move on
    2. If next gen doesn't do 1080p than I expect agni visuals at 720p and nothing less
    3. more important than 1080p is higher res textures and shadow resolutions. Have you seen 4k textures in games like skyrim and Mass effect? Even the most oblivious gamer can tell the difference

One needs to be blind to not see the difference. I'm tired of aliasing and flickering low res shadows and muddy textures. I expect a jump worthy a new generation. They will have to compete with PCs or steam will over take them and they know it. And from the rumoured specs, it seems we are getting very capable machines

18. Likes MonkeyClaw likes this post
    Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Quote Originally Posted by itachi73378 View Post
    1. Just because casuals won't notice doesn't mean we shouldn't move on
    2. If next gen doesn't do 1080p than I expect agni visuals at 720p and nothing less
    3. more important than 1080p is higher res textures and shadow resolutions. Have you seen 4k textures in games like skyrim and Mass effect? Even the most oblivious gamer can tell the difference

One needs to be blind to not see the difference. I'm tired of aliasing and flickering low res shadows and muddy textures. I expect a jump worthy a new generation. They will have to compete with PCs or steam will over take them and they know it. And from the rumoured specs, it seems we are getting very capable machines
    I 100% agree with you! If we go with Two4DaMoney's logic, why not just do everything at 480p and have even more visuals since most people won't be able to tell...this next gen really needs to be 1080p with the higher res textures! Although I would love to see programs like Google Earth or simplistic 2D/3D games running at 4K, stuff like that would look amazing on the new sets when they become the norm!

20. Likes Itachi likes this post
    Forum Guru

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    Thats what we have in our current gen. I dont need this crap anymore in next generation, no thanks.

Elite Guru
    I think they showed GT5 running @4k res powered by multiple PS3s not so long ago, lol. Damn

Superior Member

PSN ID
    Foraeli
    1080p also has less flickering on hair and vegetation. And details stand out better in 1080p.

Forum Guru

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    What I am really looking forward to in the next generation is 60 FPS. Smoothness.

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    BreBaz
    It would be a waste of power to do 4k games even if they could. They should be stupid and stick with 720p 30fps/maybe 60fps.
    If that happens i'd much rather buy a Wii and be glad and i'm not even talking about Wii U.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybertox View Post
    What I am really looking forward to in the next generation is 60 FPS. Smoothness.
    then next gen is not the generation you are looking for
    Devs will stick with 30fps which is plenty. Maybe racing, fighting and some fps games need 60fps reaction time but not all of them seeing as computational power is in short supply

Ultimate Veteran
    Lets put it as simple as possible for you guys.

You have X amount of power.

The formula for any dev is:

Frames Per Second=(Power/resolution)*effects

It is not set in stone, and it is not, and never will be "a standard".

Its fluid and varies from dev to dev, depending on what they are doing.

Baying for a set "1080p" may make sense to you, but it is non-nonsensical to a developer.

Generally a dev will fill in the blanks of the formula...

The one that usually varies, is screen resolution if its a constant hit, or effects if it is a sporadic (but constantly sporadic) hit.
    Or if its just an occasional hit, they will let FPS suffer.

This is a fluid thing, and generally speaking if a game is "locked" at a certain fps, then they have power to spare.

In fact with a locked FPS, you most definatley have power spare, because you actually ask the GPU to simply wait, and faff about for a while till we a ready to render again.
    Last edited by mynd; 01-09-2013 at 21:40.

Thread Information