Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Is It Feasible That Call Of Duty Could End Up Like Guitar Hero?

EA took the jab a while back, hinting that Activision's mega-blockbuster Call of Duty franchise could follow in Guitar Hero's unfortunate footsteps.

The implication is that Activision ran the once-billion-dollar music franchise into the ground by flooding the market with not-so-new titles and spin-offs. At the time, Guitar Hero was the king of the massively popular music/rhythm genre, which also included major competition in Rock Band. But the pricey bundles and sheer number of installments with "Hero" in the title over-saturated the market and Guitar Hero went from making billions to barely hauling in a few hundred million...and that was only in the span of a couple years.

Currently, as gigantic as Call of Duty is right now, could the same thing potentially happen again? There's only one CoD entry each year and popularity shows no sign of tailing off (unless you count the fact that Modern Warfare 3 has yet to beat Black Ops in terms of lifetime sales), and there are no CoD spin-offs. Well...none yet. Sledgehammer is back on the radar with their mysterious CoD effort. That would qualify as a spin-off, right? Is that the start of multiple entries in the near future? And if so, are we once again looking at over-saturation?

Well, I'm going to say no. Thing is (and I said this at the very start of the plastic instrument craze), the music/rhythm fascination was a fad. Although it appeared to have staying power on the surface, most serious hardcore gamers weren't clamoring for every new Guitar Hero release. It was more of a casual/party experience, while Call of Duty - as much as I may not like to admit it - doesn't fall into the same category. It's a shooter and as such, has its roots in industry history; shooters have been popular since Wolfenstein and that's just the way it is. Shooters aren't a fad.

So unless Activision completely and totally mishandles the franchise, I don't see it taking a colossal nosedive like Guitar Hero. There were extenuating circumstances in the latter instance, even if it's absolutely true that CoD can't remain top dog forever...
    http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/11339.html

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    Fingers crossed over saturation happens and they make $#@! all from cod eventually....

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

3. Likes Black Beast likes this post

PSN ID
    Royals26
    Items AppleBattlefield 3Dice
    I will never understand people rooting for cod to fail. Obviously people enjoy playing it and if you don't then don't buy it. It's pretty simple.

Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Royals View Post
    I will never understand people rooting for cod to fail. Obviously people enjoy playing it and if you don't then don't buy it. It's pretty simple.
    It probably has to do more about the saturation in the genre then the game itself. Other developers will either want or be forced to cash in on the success of the game and thus you have numerous shooters out in the market to compete with the best selling game.

Superior Member
    If only it was that simple. So many games and companies are trying to be like COD to rake in money that the market is becoming over-saturated and stale with little to no innovation in each iteration of the game. Hopefully this issue corrects itself when new hardware comes out in a few short years.
    It's funny that in this day in age people can steal as long as they have a reason too. Even if that reason is created by the thieves themselves.

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    Failure usually brings change...cod has been milked to death. I've bought nearly all the cod's because i have enjoyed them but in the end, there comes a point when you think ' christ, beyond a new set of weapons and different locations is it any different to the other 98 cod games i've already played?'. You may be happy to play the same $#@! all the time but i ain't.

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    People never complain about annual sports games, COD should be no different and it might as well be considered a sport now given the way it is played.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-The-Rave View Post
    People never complain about annual sports games, COD should be no different and it might as well be considered a sport now given the way it is played.
    That isn't true. A lot of people complain that Madden hasn't evolved over the last 5+ years. Maybe you don't hear about it but it happens all the time. And a lot of these sports games do change year after year, some for the better and some for the worst. Fifa is a prime example because it's grow a lot over the past few years.
    It's funny that in this day in age people can steal as long as they have a reason too. Even if that reason is created by the thieves themselves.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    yes, it is definitive. COD will eventually cease to exist.
    its basic economics, and Activision have been lucky that the wave has lasted this long

in fact they're lucky to even have a COD. they were gunna continue with what they had last gen (WWII stuff) the series was supposed to end there. if it weren't for the brave heads at infinity ward (who got fired later) there'd be no COD.

all products follow this model - do not argue it is definitive!

the only question is how long until its decline. with the games industry being the way it is, the end will come next gen. i have no dislike for the game, but its publishers are another thing entirely!
    Last edited by Fijiandoce; 06-12-2012 at 14:37.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

PSN ID
    Royals26
    Items AppleBattlefield 3Dice
    Quote Originally Posted by jj03 View Post
    Failure usually brings change...cod has been milked to death. I've bought nearly all the cod's because i have enjoyed them but in the end, there comes a point when you think ' christ, beyond a new set of weapons and different locations is it any different to the other 98 cod games i've already played?'. You may be happy to play the same $#@! all the time but i ain't.

Then stop buying cod if you don't want to play the "same" game every year.

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Its only a matter of time I feel. If you annualise a game like this people will grow tired of it..

Sports games continue to sell because they mimic real life rosters and stuff, but this is just what Activision do, milk a series dry until it doesn't sell any more... tony hawk... guitar hero... next cod. They have no respect for their franchises

13. Likes Fijiandoce likes this post
    El Presidente
    Personally after playing MW3 I'm tired of the same old same old. BO2 I may play because they are trying new things and I'm interested with where the story goes. I'm tired of FPS's in general so I know that's a part of it.

Quote Originally Posted by TEJ2025 View Post
    That isn't true. A lot of people complain that Madden hasn't evolved over the last 5+ years. Maybe you don't hear about it but it happens all the time. And a lot of these sports games do change year after year, some for the better and some for the worst. Fifa is a prime example because it's grow a lot over the past few years.
    How much can a sports game change? I don't think very much realistically. Unless how the game is played in real life changes I feel any improvements are minimal. I haven't played a sports game in years but I know they've drastically improved since then.

Quote Originally Posted by Fijiandoce View Post
    yes, it is definitive. COD will eventually cease to exist.
    its basic economics, and Activision have been lucky that the wave has lasted this long

in fact they're lucky to even have a COD. they were gunna continue with what they had last gen (WWII stuff) the series was supposed to end there. if it weren't for the brave heads at infinity ward (who got fired later) there'd be no COD.

all products follow this model - do not argue it is definitive!

the only question is how long until its decline. with the games industry being the way it is, the end will come next gen. i have no dislike for the game, but its publishers are another thing entirely!
    I don't think that any series can die off completely. I feel there will be someone who is interested in a rebooting/updating. CoD may not been made for years but someone will pick it up, tinker with it and breathe new life into it. It's not true in every case but it's true in others. XCOM is a decent example and Deus Ex is a good one too. Duke Nukem would be a very bad example.

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    To me MW3 seemed to be a possible indicator of this. Honestly imo the game was a step back with all the issues that the online has. The biggest issue that I see with the series is the fact that using a dated engine they still can't work out all the kinks with it. I like COD just like the next person but eventually some people are really going to get tired of $#@!ing about and actually do what they have been threatening for years...not buying. BO2 looks like it could be a bit of change that the series needs. But the hype will die once something else comes around. It happens with everything. But if people keep $#@!ing and still buying it won't change anything. I think next gen it is going to lose its steam.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    ^^ true. I've already reached the point where i'm not buying any more cod games. Started with mw3. Been playing it a bit lately only because my grandson much prefers my black op's so i've borrowed mw3 while he hammers zombies etc.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    I'm honestly done with IW/Sledgehammer. I've played 2 installments of theirs and hated both of them. MW3 with a passion. But Treyarch's games seem to piss me off much less.

18. Likes Kuro likes this post
    ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    Quote Originally Posted by ps3freak18 View Post
    I'm honestly done with IW/Sledgehammer. I've played 2 installments of theirs and hated both of them. MW3 with a passion. But Treyarch's games seem to piss me off much less.
    I agree Treyarch's and IW games have different game speed's I much prefer blackops speed then Mw3.
    I only play mw3 because my friends keep bugging me to play with them but I enjoy blops better much less stressful than mw3.

‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Quote Originally Posted by zzKurozz View Post
    I agree Treyarch's and IW games have different game speed's I much prefer blackops speed then Mw3.
    I only play mw3 because my friends keep bugging me to play with them but I enjoy blops better much less stressful than mw3.
    Speak of the devil! My buddy just called me and asked if I wanted to play some MW3. I guess I'm going to reluctantly do so. I hate being a $#@! and not playing.

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Quote Originally Posted by ps3freak18 View Post
    Speak of the devil! My buddy just called me and asked if I wanted to play some MW3. I guess I'm going to reluctantly do so. I hate being a $#@! and not playing.
    Lmao me too man just can't say no..haha

PSN ID
    Hellsend1
    Agreed 120%. People complain WAY TO MUCH.

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    I don't know why, but I bought within the first week of release COD4, W@W, MW2, BO and MW3.. and played them all, I was addicted to COD4 online then my interest slowly declined. I still liked the series the campaigns were good but I didn't play much online as time passed.
    When I was watching Microsofts presser on Black Ops 2 I was intrigued and then as soon as he started aiming down that scope and shooting I thought "oh look, its the same thing it always is, again and again" and I think that was the breaking point for me. I'm just personally over shooting games and looking down a scope and just the general 'cod' feel. It took me 5 games but I'm over it lol

Obviously I'm just speaking for myself and giving a little personal rant, but I think that others are in the same boat as me and are just growing tired of the franchise

Master Guru
    Items Protect yourselfUser name style
    This situation reminds me of a problem we have at work. The situation is that he, the hotdog man, comes out there everyday with hotdogs and people get tired of the same thing everyday. He tries to mix it up with sloppy joes and meatball sandwhiches ,but everyone still complains. What leaves me befuddled though is that they don't have to buy the hotdogs., so why complain about it? I feel it's the same way with call of duty and it's leaves me in a state of confusion on why people wanna see a company fail. I'm happy with new guns and new maps to be honest though.

Remember that i'm going to die is the best way I know to avoid trap of thinking you have something to lose, you're already naked, there's no reason not to follow your heart.

Ultimate Veteran
    Why do I have a sudden craving for hot dogs?

Anyways, I think Activision is already anticipating this since they've mentioned something about Black Ops 2 introducing a couple new changes to the franchise. But it's only a matter of time before people get tired of playing their games with consumers moving onto the next big thing.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 06-14-2012 at 03:28.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

Do you love GTA? Check out my general discussion thread here!

Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    usually FPS games will last a good few years. Counter-strike on the PC was peaked for about 5 years, then CoD came a long now, BF is right behind them now. once CoD is done BF3 will take the spotlight. When the next Sony console hits, they will probably release planetside 2 for it. the game on PC in beta alpha stage looks amazing.

lots of games have there moment in the sun. mmorpgs and FPS for example, EQ = 6 years, WoW = 6 years, CS = 5 or so years, CoD = 5 or so years now, maybe 6 years, BF3 is starting in now and it's still peaking so once it peaks I'll give it a few more years until that wears out..

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by podsaurus View Post
    I don't think that any series can die off completely. I feel there will be someone who is interested in a rebooting/updating. CoD may not been made for years but someone will pick it up, tinker with it and breathe new life into it. It's not true in every case but it's true in others. XCOM is a decent example and Deus Ex is a good one too. Duke Nukem would be a very bad example.
    o.O i hate reboots!

the graph i gave is one i found on the interwebs (im too lazy to draw that crap up myself and annotate) a proper graph allows for such occurrences and, regardless, the new product still follows that graph. the only question is its positioning.

but do you really like reboots?? really? i cant stand them. unless you're DC comics and your IP story-lines are REALLY screwed up...
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Sir_Scud
    Items Naughty DogFinal Fantasy IVDark SoulsGuerrilla Games
    End up like Guitar Hero? No. CoD hasn't really evolved since 4, and it has been the same game since 2007. When they stop breaking record sales every $#@!ing year and when people stop buying $15 map packs maybe then they will actually make real game changes to the franchise. As of right now, they have absolutely no reason to make any changes and continue to rake in the $$$.

People got bored of Guitar Hero because it was a gimmick.

Thread Information