Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

PSA: Metal Gear Online goes offline tomorrow, say goodbye today

Metal Gear Online, the multiplayer feature of Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, will be terminated tomorrow at 11:59 p.m. JST (10:59 a.m. EST), on the day of the service's four-year anniversary. Originally, MGO was slated to run for three years, but it was extended "out of respect for our loyal fans," Konami writes.

"Nevertheless, we have regretfully come to a point where players have experienced all that this iteration of Metal Gear Online is able to offer," Konami's announcement reads. "Therefore, it saddens us to announce that we have decided to end online service with the upcoming fourth anniversary of online service. We would like to apologize to all of the users who are currently enjoying the Online Service for this title, and kindly ask for your understanding."

If you have a few hours to kill, maybe take that phrase literally and hop on your PS3 for some Metal Gear multiplayer action tonight.
    Source

I've never really played it myself, despite owning Metal Gear Solid 4.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Not sad to see it go.
    I spent maybe 1 hour or 2 in total play time when it was new, either it was too laggy with players seemingly warping or I got disconnected/timed out for 1 reason or another couple that with the backwards 2 ID and password login system ends up beign 1 big waste of time thats is overly complicated.

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    I should be sad to see it go but I barely played this online. I also had lots of laggy matches. The thing that irratated me the most here, and I don't think I'm alone, is the Konami ID sign-up process. I must have lost my password three times because of that stupid system. The updates were a pain in the ass too.

Ahh well, I still have Peace Walker and people actually still go online in that game, and I'm sure they'll move to Peace Walker after MGO. I love the co-op in it. If you're ever stuck on a mission you can't beat, you can easily host your mission and someone will join in and help. Quite amazing.

Veteran
    I played it a bit when the game came out, didn't spend that much time on it though, MGO for PS2 was the best online multiplayer experience for me ever on PS2. Although it was a fun experience with MGO on PS3, it wasn't as good IMO. And I haven't played this one in years, but I guess it's been too many years online so that's why they need to shut it down.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Maybe when its gone peopel can use Tunngle via their PC to search for gamers?

http://www.tunngle.net/index.php?l=en

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    nye99
    although i havnt played it in a very long time, i have fond memories of it, some of the game modes were amazing, it was just a shame about the konami id stuff.

ADD ME- nye99

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    Still have the game but I really never played it online before my friends were into it.

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Soldier 95B
    Sad to see it go, but the community has obviously dwindled. It will ramp back up once MGS5 hits and we are all playing that!

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    I just hope they make the next MGO similar to Peace Walker..you can co-op. Play online, trade soldiers and send or receive equipment. Seriously, I cannot stress how amazing the system is in Peace Walker.

10. Likes bigCman123 likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by DreDayDetox View Post
    The thing that irratated me the most here, and I don't think I'm alone, is the Konami ID sign-up process. I must have lost my password three times because of that stupid system.
    I remember that, actually. That's probably why I never bothered to play it.

Dedicated Member
    MGO was my favorite multiplayer game by far. I played it all the time, and bought all the dlc. I was in many clans, added a bunch of PSN friends, etc. For a long time it was all I played. Sadly glitchers and hackers took over and people left.

It's a shame that it's getting shut down, I really hope we'll be getting another MGO game in next few years. Hell I'd even buy a stand alone MGO game (well as long as it's how I think it should be). Really I want to see some coop missions, survival type modes, more sneaking, etc.

Don't get me wrong, MGO had its flaws, but if they fixed them, and got a bunch of people to play, it would be my perfect online gaming experience.

I would love to play some MGO, but my PS3 is two hours away... So long MGO.

[EDIT]

Something really makes me want to believe there's something more to this whole ordeal. I mean it's the 25th Anniversary of the Metal Gear Solid series. They aren't just going to go "Happy Anniversary! We're shutting down MGO." Hopefully they'll be showing off something cool this month or announcing something. I mean really.

Last edited by bigCman123; 06-12-2012 at 19:51.

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Wait, when is the 25th anniversary? What month and day?

Ultimate Veteran
    I don't know what else they could be doing. But that would be some 25th anniversary if all they were doing was shutting down Metal Gear Online.

I'd like to say they're planning an announcement for Metal Gear Solid 5 but Hideo Kojima's already busy with development for Zone of the Enders 3.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DreDayDetox View Post
    Wait, when is the 25th anniversary? What month and day?
    The original Metal Gear came out July 7, 1987. So the 25th Anniversary will be next month on the seventh. Kojima has already said they will be showing off the Fox engine (part of the reason they didn't show at E3).

Veteran
    Items LiverpoolUser name style
    Back when MGS4 first came out it was almost unplayable for me. I tried it again like 2 years ago and had a lot of fun, but the learning curve was pretty steep. I ultimately didn't get into because I didn't know anyone who played it. Has tons of potential.

Next time they do something like this they need to learn their lesson and ditch the whole Konami ID thing.
    Last edited by Shibby; 06-12-2012 at 20:45.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Other_
    Hey everyone, I wrote a feature about this. I totally agree with most of your points, as Metal Gear Online was a massive disappointment for me.

I'm not really sad to see it go, and I don't think anyone even cares. That's what inspired me write about it, so check out the feature and let me know what you think

P.S. I mention some of you in it.

Follow me on Twitter @DonOther

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    The thing is I probably would've still been playing this today if they just let us use our PSN IDs !!
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

19. Likes bigCman123 likes this post
    Dat Guy
    Items Protect yourselfNew User TitleTitle Style
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Oliveira View Post
    Hey everyone, I wrote a feature about this. I totally agree with most of your points, as Metal Gear Online was a massive disappointment for me.

I'm not really sad to see it go, and I don't think anyone even cares. That's what inspired me write about it, so check out the feature and let me know what you think

P.S. I mention some of you in it.
    I couldnt even read it, the title alone was offensive enough to me, mgo was one of the most breakthrough online experiences this gen, beats nearly every other out there. Its a huge lose.

Thank you itachi

21. Likes bigCman123 likes this post
    Elite Guru
    The premise behind MGO was a tactical online shooter.
    The actual gameplay was anything but, simply because of the abuse of camera/ mechanics. It became nothing more than a run & gun shooter. Such a rotten way to treat a game that had so many tactical elements.

It could have been great......it could have been the game to keep me playing online shooters to this day.
    But instead, it was one of the games that knocked the final nail in the coffin of online shooters for me this gen.

Now I find myself sitting here & watching what becomes of a Kickstarter game like Takedown.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Video games dont Affect Kids.
    If Pacman had affected us as Kids,
    We'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching Magic pills
    and Listening to repetitive, Electronic music

PSU Technical Advisor
    I enjoyed the game alot, even had a clan for it that was international along with a buddy here at PSU. It was definitely flawed, but it was a unique experience that was enjoyable.

I'd liken the gameplay, actually, to Ghost Recon: Future Soldier. Very similar in alot of ways.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Other_
    I didn't want to sound like an ass, but let's be honest: no one other than a hardcore community of Metal Gear lovers (such as myself and you guys) are really affected by this.

I agree with some of you that Metal Gear Online was great. I must have played Subsistence online way more though, which sucks because I was so hyped for MGS4. When I found out that Metal Gear Online would be bundled with Metal Gear Solid 4, I nearly exploded.

The gameplay was super, super smart. Having a team work together like that is just something you don't see enough in today's online shooter. The problem was that the game was handled by developers who didn't really know how to work with networks.

It's sad, yeah, but this is 4 years old now. It doesn't suck that Metal Gear Online is gone, it sucks that it never reached its true potential. If it did, it wouldn't be going offline.

Follow me on Twitter @DonOther

25. Likes bigCman123, Sir_Scud likes this post
    Apprentice

I waited years to be able to play games online, I had beaten mgs3 literally over 70 times but never had a chance at mgo...

then came mgs4, by then I had an online ps3 and I couldn't wait... It had it's moments but the lag, disconecctions and the match making process was painful.... then there was that stupid konami sign in rubbish...

Eventually left it for uncharted 2, which made mgs4 in comparison feel stiff.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Sir_Scud
    Items Naughty DogFinal Fantasy IVDark SoulsGuerrilla Games
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Oliveira View Post
    It's sad, yeah, but this is 4 years old now. It doesn't suck that Metal Gear Online is gone, it sucks that it never reached its true potential. If it did, it wouldn't be going offline.
    So true. It was so mishandled by people who did not know multiplayer in pretty much ANY of the aspects of an online game. Everytime I played MGO I thought about what it could have been.

Dedicated Member
    It was great to play that summer after it's release. But after that it became an occasional thing. The konami ID was definitely annoying to anyone with a ton of passwords stored in the brain. I truly believe Ghost Recon resembles MGO in soo many ways and its a better game so.. if you're really crazy about that style gameplay Ghost Recon is a great substitute.
    It seems as if every other Spartan in the Halo universe is cooler and more interesting than Master Chief, yet they all died at the beginning of Halo 1.

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Peace Walker is also a good substitute for a similar experience. And the co-op is amazing. It's incredible how many good people there are out there who will help you out.

Thread Information