Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Dead Space 3 changes are about "opening up to a larger audience"

EA: "We definitely do not want to piss off our fans."

New features in Dead Space 3 are designed to open the game up "to a larger audience", EA has said.

But the publisher is aware that changes to the series must not come at the cost of alienating the original fanbase, EA exec Frank Gibeau told CVG.

"We tried to open up the accessibility of the IP a little bit by adding a little bit more action, but not undermining the horror. We can't not be a horror game because that's what Dead Space is," Gibeau explained.

"So with the addition of co-op and taking it to a planet and mostly away from space... we're pushing it in areas such as environment, co-op and at the same time we definitely do not want to piss off our fans by taking it too far from horror."

These changes are necessary, Gibeau reasoned, to turn the Dead Space series into a "more broadly appealing franchise".

"Ultimately you need to get to audience sizes of around five million to really continue to invest in an IP like Dead Space. Anything less than that and it becomes quite difficult financially given how expensive it is to make games and market them.

"We feel good about that growth but we have to be very paranoid about making sure we don't change the experience so much that we lose the fanbase."

EA boss John Riccitiello stated last year that the original Dead Space "didn't hit expectations at retail", and that it would "probably take Dead Space 3 before we get into that five million unit cadence versus say three, four."
    Source
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

PSN ID
    Quinny
    Hope they don't over do the action, still really looking forward to this.

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Damn right they had better feel paranoid about making too many changes.

Sure franchises have to evolve but there is a fine line between trying to make more money and sell more copies and keeping the fans you have already. I think Dead Space (1) will be forever my favourite. But I'm still gonna play the $#@! out of DS3. First by myself and then I'll play the co-op with a mate. See how it goes/changes the game

Superior Member
    Title should actually be: Dead Space 3 changes are about "making more money."

PSN ID
    jack1982cp
    EA's got more than enough shooters already without taking the the last real horror franchise still in existence and turning it into a shooter as well. But they do anyway.

I'm not even remotely interested in buying a next gen console, and stuff like this is exactly why. If you're not a fan of shooters and/or perpetual sequels to way-past-their-prime franchises, there's no reason to even think about getting one.

I'm actually more inclined to hook my PS2 up to the HDTV and check out all those great last-gen horror titles I missed out on.

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    Never found the series to be scary at all. You want scary? Play Silent Hill at night alone.

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by DreDayDetox View Post
    Never found the series to be scary at all. You want scary? Play Silent Hill at night alone.
    Exactly. It always killed me when people claimed Dead Space was more scary than Silent Hill. It simply isn't. The jump moments are more than predictable.

With that said i still love the Dead Space franchise and can't wait to play DS3. Changes or not.

8. Likes Lebowski likes this post
    Personally I don't feel skeptical in the least. I cant wait to get DS3, and the expectations are high

10. Likes bigCman123 likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Zombie View Post
    Title should actually be: Dead Space 3 changes are about "making more money."
    If they don't make money then they can't make games... We see video game developers dropping like flies at times.

As long as they keep Dead Space feeling like Dead Space then do what ever to keep everything going strong. I always felt like Dead Space was the Uncharted of horror (especially with 2).

[EDIT]

People should realize that Dead Space isn't just about horror. The art direction and aesthetics are really cool, the story is interesting, the gameplay is fun, and the action/set peices are viceral. The general high quality of Dead Space is what makes it stand out to me.
    Last edited by bigCman123; 06-18-2012 at 02:21.

Elite Guru

$#@! action game gets $#@!tier trying to appeal to as many as possible, crazy stuff. The executives sitting around a table trying to make games appeals to as many as possible are the ones in the end killing the franchises, they lose all identity all trying to become the same game.

Well can't wait for this franchise to be done, will be soon enough.
    Calculating Infinity

Thread Information