Latest PSU headlines:

View Poll Results: Do you believe I them?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I do

10 31.25%
  • No way there's no such thing as ghost

13 40.63%
  • Maybe...

9 28.13%
Page 1 of 5 1 ... LastLast
    ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Do you believe in Ghosts?

I've had a couple of experiences before mainly when i was younger I would always hear a piano playing in the basement at night and I saw an apparition of an old lady sitting on our couch across the room when I went to go get a drink at night. Haven't seen anything weird anymore though.

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    Do farts count? Given that they're invisible and deadly.

Unbound Mercenary
    Nope. Never believed in ghosts.

But I do think farts should count.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    Quote Originally Posted by DreDayDetox View Post
    Do farts count? Given that they're invisible and deadly.
    Lmao..good point.

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    This is how it is:
    We have this universe, no one truly knows how was it created or why its here. It would be easier to accept nothingness than all the intricacy we see. In this universe things are given a thing called a life, a conscience, free will. How they are magically created is a mystery also.

It might be a shallow experience, but I am here and now in this mess and when I die that will be it, nothingness.
    I think my calling is to commit one truly noble act before I go.
    Last edited by mickice; 06-15-2012 at 22:05.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Sir_Scud
    Items Final Fantasy IVDark SoulsGuerrilla Games
    No. There is no reason to believe in them and the concept is just silly. The tv shows about hunting ghosts are great for a laugh and the sheer stupidity of their tests and all.

Master Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Scud View Post
    No. There is no reason to believe in them...
    What an utterly moronic statement to make. Some people believe in ghosts and spirits so they can assure themselves that loved ones who have died are not completely gone. Are you really going to be a $#@! and completely diminish everybody's belief in the afterlife just because YOU don't believe in it?

8. Likes Wrath likes this post
    Forum Sage

No. For I am not mental.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
    What an utterly moronic statement to make. Some people believe in ghosts and spirits so they can assure themselves that loved ones who have died are not completely gone. Are you really going to be a $#@! and completely diminish everybody's belief in the afterlife just because YOU don't believe in it?
    Then those that choose to believe that are only fooling themselves. I agree with Scud, there is zero point or gain in believing that lost spirits are walking the earth.

We live, we die, we decompose into some compost - we don't leave the grave and turn into little orbs of light that they always see on those ghost 'hunting' shows.

Same goes for mediums - they are $#@!s of the highest order. Not only the lie about being able to speak to the dead they give loved ones false hope

BBK. Tapatalking.
    Last edited by BBK..; 06-15-2012 at 22:23.

10. Likes ps3isawesome likes this post
    Dedicated Member

You call the poster moronic, yet you then say people believe simply because they need a security blanket. Desires for something to be true do not make it so. The poster is quite right to say there is no reason to believe in them, because there is insufficient evidence to support the claim that they exist. And no, anecdotal evidence is not sufficient.

Master Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Valefor
    You call him moronic, yet you then say people believe simply because they need a security blanket. Desires for something to be true do not make it so. The poster is quite right to say there is no reason to believe in them, because there is insufficient evidence to support the claim that they exist. And no, anecdotal evidence is not sufficient.
    You've clearly never lost someone you truly loved.

Dedicated Member

You've clearly never lost someone you truly loved.
    My wishes to see my past losses have no bearing on truth, unfortunately.

Master Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Valefor View Post
    My wishes to see my past losses have no bearing on truth, unfortunately.
    You and I must be on entirely different levels. I guess becoming a parent has given me a completely new sense of meaning to the term 'loved ones' and the desire to retain their memory, no matter how insane it may seem to others.

Dedicated Member

You and I must be on entirely different levels. I guess becoming a parent has given me a completely new sense of meaning to the term 'loved ones' and the desire to retain their memory, no matter how insane it may seem to others.
    It is unwise to imply other people have never lost loved ones. But, you can wish it all you like, it doesn't make it true.

Master Sage
    I never implied you hadn't lost loved ones, I was implying that you and I may have different definitions of the term.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Sir_Scud
    Items Final Fantasy IVDark SoulsGuerrilla Games
    Jaeger, I realize my opinion may come off strong, but it's how I feel. Now, I don't go around telling people what to believe or not to believe, because that's their choice. I merely came in the thread to give my 2 cents. My post was actually pretty vague and made no mention of what I think of the afterlife and other things. I simply see no reason to believe in the concept of a ghost that roams around this planet.

Now I have lost someone I truly love, and it was hard. However, I didn't take comfort in thinking they were somewhere else looking down at me. It took me a long time to realize they are dead and still affects me today. But I remember them as the person they lived through my memory. I accepted the fact that person is completely gone.

18. Likes BBK.. likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    There is no cohesive evidence of what lies beyond. From my experience with death I can tell you its dark and lifeless.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Dedicated Member

I never implied you hadn't lost loved ones, I was implying that you and I may have different definitions of the term.
    It doesn't take much to see you were hinting at how your loved ones mean more to you than mine meant to me. You should be careful with what you presume about others.

Master Guru
    Items Dark SoulsDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    Man, it's threads like these where I despise that general bias towards science that is exhibited by the majority of posters here. You people seem to only believe in what's been written on paper by others in the past, yet none of you have any explanation on how large the universe is, where it ends, what comes after it, etc.

Hence, only because ghosts do not scientifically exist doesn't mean they don't exist at all.

Have some faith people.
    Last edited by Wrath; 06-15-2012 at 22:50.

Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath View Post
    Man, it's threads like these where I despise that general bias towards science of the majority of posters here. You people seem to only believe in what's been written on paper by others in the past, yet none of you have any explanation on how large the universe is, where it ends, what comes after it, etc.

Hence, only because ghosts do not scientifically exist doesn't mean they don't exist at all.
    A gap in knowledge is just that, a gap. We don't need to fill it with stories and say they are true just because we don't yet know all the answers.

23. Likes Sir_Scud likes this post
    Master Guru
    A gap in knowledge is just that, a gap. We don't need to fill it with stories and say they are true just because we don't yet know all the answers.
    Did you ever think about the psychological effects those 'stories' might have? It comforts people and since no one can prove or disprove certain belief people seem to hold on to them.

Why would you intentionally want to put yourself down?
    Last edited by Wrath; 06-16-2012 at 00:14.

Dedicated Member

Did you ever think about the psychological effects those 'stories' might have? It comforts people and since no one can prove or disprove certain believes people seem to hold on to them.
    Yes, it may comfort people. But comfort does not mean truth, and we are talking about the truth of the claim. If I had a serious illness and was going to die in 3 months, it might comfort me if the doctor told me I was perfectly fine. But, I'd still have the illness and I would still be dead in 3 months, regardless of the comfort the doctor's story would give me.
    Last edited by Valefor; 06-15-2012 at 23:01.

Master Guru
    Yes, it may comfort people. But comfort does not mean truth, and we are talking about the truth of the claim. If I had a serious illness and was going to die in 3 months, it might comfort me if the doctor told me I was perfectly fine. But, I'd still have the illness and I would still be dead in 3 months, regardless of the comfort the doctor's story would give me.
    You're mixing things up.

What you describe with the doctor example assumes the patient to be willfully ignorant because you can actually narrow it down to being ill or not. Ghosts on the other hand cannot be categorized as reality or fiction because people cannot and will not be able to ever prove either side.

Ultimate Veteran
    Are you sure it didn't just inflate your ego?

28. Likes Vulgotha likes this post
    Dedicated Member

You're mixing things up.

What you describe with the doctor example assumes the patient to be willfully ignorant because you can actually narrow it down to being ill or not. Ghosts on the other hand cannot be categorized as reality or fiction because people cannot and will not be able to ever prove either side.
    You suggested that it may comfort people to think that ghosts exist. I am agreeing with you on that part, but being comforted by an idea does not make the idea true.

We can use many examples. If you don't like the example of the doctor, how about an example of Zeus. In ancient Greece, some believed lightning came from Zeus' hands. When lightning did not strike, it comforted people because they thought they were appeasing the gods. Were they correct to say lightning came from Zeus? No, and their feelings had no bearing on the truth.

The same applies to ghosts. We can wish they exist because it may bring us comfort, and it may seem to 'explain' things we do not yet understand, but it doesn't mean they exist.
    Last edited by Valefor; 06-15-2012 at 23:18.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    There is no cohesive evidence of what lies beyond. From my experience with death I can tell you its dark and lifeless.
    So you have experienced death?
    Oh and science works SO much differently right
    They say force carriers like gravitons (carriers of the gravitational force) are completely invisible and their existence cannot be proven, yet the scientific community treats them as an actual 'thing'.

Science is built around first filling the gaps by stories and then testing it. Sometimes they don't understand it so they accept it as it is, like many mysteries surrounding quantum mechanics.

On topic, I do certainly believe there is a unseen/invisible race of creation called jinn however do they qualify as ghosts, I don't know. And I've never had any paranormal experience but my relatives have.
    Last edited by Itachi; 06-15-2012 at 23:28.

Thread Information