Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Help me build a PC game collection!

I need some help from everyone. I just got my PC built and I'm very excited! I've missed out on so much PC gaming over the years that I can't even compile a list of how many of the great games that I've missed over the years. I've missed some of the big AAA titles and many hidden gems. Right now I'm sitting on The Witcher, Diablo 3, Velvet Assassin, Brothers in Arm: Hell's Highway, Deus Ex:HR, and Dirt 3. The last 2 are barring I'm actually able to download via AMD promos that don't seem to work at this time.

I need everyone's help building up a collection of great PC games over the past 5 years or so. I will name a few that are on my list of games to get (mostly FPS) to help narrow it down. The genres I usually like are FPS, RPG, Action/Adventure, and some RTS. I'm not limited to these genres, I'm open to anything. Here is the list of games that are on my radar to get ATM.

Stalker: Shadows of Chernobyl
    Metro 2033
    The Witcher 2 (Once I complete The Witcher)
    Half Life 1&2
    Hellgate: London (I'm kind of looking for some feedback on this one because I was intrigued by the game when it released but I haven't seen many good comments about the game.)
    Amnesia

I know there are always great sales on Steam, so I plan to hit those up when they come up. But I need some help here because I have been disconnected from PC for quite some time now. So please help a "newbie" PC gamer get some new games with some suggestions for some great games.

Also my new PC is pretty solid spec wise so anything within the last 5 years I can play.
    Last edited by PS4freak; 06-19-2012 at 03:53.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    Portal 1 and 2
    Dark Messiah: Might and Magic
    Bastion
    Left 4 Dead 1 and 2

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Mass Effect 1,2,3
    and any Unreal powered game for that matter (this is a preferential choice, if you're gunna get an UE game for a console don't, get it for PC)
    Crysis 1,2, and 3 (when it releases).
    Total war Shogun 2/Medieval 2
    Company of heroes
    Arma 2 (probably best to wait for 3)
    Battlefield 3
    Rage
    Last edited by Fijiandoce; 06-19-2012 at 05:00.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by HellsJester View Post
    Portal 1 and 2
    Dark Messiah: Might and Magic
    Bastion
    Left 4 Dead 1 and 2
    Left 4 Dead 2 should come with the levels and characters from the original.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    The Witcher 1 and 2 Enhanced Editions

Friendship is Carrots
    Three quick things:

1) Did my response to your previous thread in this section have any affect on your choice to get/build a new PC?

2) What are your hardware specs? You're part of the group now, so it's time to fap to some silicon.

3) What is your Steam name?

If you're a fan of strategy games then you should definitely take a look at both Shogun 2 and Civilization 5. As well, you should save up about 100$ for the upcoming summer sale on Steam; prices are going to be insane. If that Promo for Human Revolutions continues to not work then you should snag the game on a sale as it's incredible. Mount and Blade: Warband is a small but fun role-playing game in an open world. You build and lead your armies in real-time battles as you siege and defend castles or fight out on fields. I think it's fun.

If you've yet to play it yet, then get Skyrim for PC. It's so much better on this platform as it runs better and has amazing community mods.
    Last edited by Nerevar; 06-19-2012 at 07:58.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Max Payne 1&2
    Hitman
    Prey

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    Three quick things:

1) Did my response to your previous thread in this section have any affect on your choice to get/build a new PC?

2) What are your hardware specs? You're part of the group now, so it's time to fap to some silicon.

3) What is your Steam name?

If you're a fan of strategy games then you should definitely take a look at both Shogun 2 and Civilization 5. As well, you should save up about 100$ for the upcoming summer sale on Steam; prices are going to be insane. If that Promo for Human Revolutions continues to not work then you should snag the game on a sale as it's incredible. Mount and Blade: Warband is a small but fun role-playing game in an open world. You build and lead your armies in real-time battles as you siege and defend castles or fight out on fields. I think it's fun.

If you've yet to play it yet, then get Skyrim for PC. It's so much better on this platform as it runs better and has amazing community mods.
    Well honestly you post gave the final push into getting a new pc.

As for the specs, it is a budget machine that I'm sure won't run groundbreaking games at high settings but it has done what I needed it to so far. Albeit not much.

Intel i3 2100+ 3.1 GHz Dual Core Processor
    XFX AMD Radeon 6870 1 GB GPU
    500 GB WD Cavair Blue HDD

GIGABYTE GA-H61MA-D3V LGA 1155 Intel H61 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

LEPA B550-SA 550W SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

G.SKILL Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBNT

Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x Top 140mm ...

Vista Ultimate 64bit

Build cost me $534. The HDD come out of my old computer. I bought the HDD last August and my buddy gave me a copy of Vista so I was able to get some good hardware for a decent price after all was said and done. I didn't really do much picking out of the hardware because I'm not very proficient with PC stuff these days. My buddy picked it all out for me to look over and I helped him build it.

As for Steam, I think BiggKyle87 is my name. I don't play much stuff on steam but I'm using a buddies account from back in the day that I put CS Source on and have been using that since. I'm about to create my own account and will update you when I do get a new name.

The Deus Ex promo was just a plus as I beat it on PS3. Most of the stuff that is available on PS3 and PC, I've played on PS3. Mostly looking at stuff that is PC/Xbox "exclusive." I really appreciate everyone's post. It is a good start and I can use many more!
    Last edited by PS4freak; 06-19-2012 at 09:46.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Amazon.com has Mass Effect 1 and 2 for $4.99 each as downloads...

CLICKY HERE

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    StarCraft 2
    Terraria
    NFS Hot Pursuit (its not pc only but whatever)
    Civilizations 5

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    • HALO - I loved this game back in 2003
    • Far Cry - looked superb back when new in 2004 and still doesnt look too bad.
    • Return to castle wolfenstein - you get to shoot Germans whats not to like?
    • Painkiller - Super fast no brains needed just quick reflexes and good aim FPS

Previous mentions

• Max Payne 1&2
    • Hitman
    • Prey - Is on Xbox 360 but the PC version is regarded as the best version

Have browse through my Steam games.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/keefy/recommended/
    Last edited by keefy; 06-19-2012 at 18:08.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    I haven't played many RTS games but I know one game that I was absolutely addicted to was Rise of Nations back in the day. Any games that are set up like that. I just liked how you started off working with primitive tools and working your way up to an empire using swords and cannons. Very neat stuff.

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    Quote Originally Posted by ps3freak18 View Post
    I haven't played many RTS games but I know one game that I was absolutely addicted to was Rise of Nations back in the day. Any games that are set up like that. I just liked how you started off working with primitive tools and working your way up to an empire using swords and cannons. Very neat stuff.
    I remember that game, it was indeed very cool. Similar to that game are Age Of Empires 3 and Civilizations 5. Age Of Empires Online is also an option as well as SC2 but its more fast paced.

Friendship is Carrots
    Civilization 5 is similar in that concept as you can start and develop a civilization of your choice from using big sticks as weapons to using ICBMs to range long-distance war. I looked up a video of it, and Rise of Nations seems to be real-time; Civilization 5 is not real-time. The player makes their move and then ends their turn, allowing the AI to make their moves. It's like a radical game of Chess. If you're more into real-time battles but still enjoy overworld strategic gameplay then Shogun 2 would possibly be more of your cup of tea, though it does not have the feature to advance your civilization over the centuries.

Civ 5 Review
    Shogun 2 Review
    Last edited by Nerevar; 06-19-2012 at 19:11.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Yeah I checked up a bit on Civ 5 and didn't really look like something that I could really get into. Like you said I'm more interested in real time. I've tried games like Civ 5 before and didn't really care for them. Strategy games in general are hit and miss for me. I can't really put my finger on what draws me into certain strategy games. I really liked Command and Conquer 3 when I played it. I'm just not very good at them and the harder more complex ones don't work well with me.

Dedicated Member

• Half-Life series
    • Mass Effect series
    • The Witcher series
    • The Elder Scrolls series - (I would start with Morrowind)
    • Dragon Age: Origins Ultimate Edition
    • Team Fortress 2 (it's free now)

Super Elite
    Splinter Cell collection.
    Sent from my computer using keyboard.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    I bought Metro 2033 and Stalker: SoC off amazon for a total of $20. I love how cheap PC games are.

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    I bought Metro 2033 and Stalker: SoC off amazon for a total of $20. I love how cheap PC games are.
    Steam is cheaper during sales.
    I got Metro for $5 and Stalker series for $5

Dedicated Member
    Steam is awesome! Its always good to pick up the games from there when theyre on sale.

Heres what I recommend.
    indie games from the humble bundles.. they offer them every once and a while and you pay what you want for a couple of games

RTS (Strategy and/or resource management) :

Empire: Dawn of the Modern World
    Lord of the Rings: Battle for middle earth 1&2
    War of the Ring is fun too
    Company of Heros
    World in Conflict
    Totally War series. You cant go wrong with any of them. Id start at napoleon and end with shogun 2. From worst to best haha
    Age of Empires are fun games
    Civilization 4&5 are really fun too
    Men of War (Just bought this off Steam havent played it yet but I hear its hard.
    Stronghold series. I loved Stronghold 2 I like resource gathering and building an army. Gunna play 3 when my computer is built.
    Command and Conquer series is fun as well. (generals and zero hour) AND definitely Red Alert!
    War game European escalation
    And StarCraft 1&2

Other genres:
    Crysis and farcry series
    Alan Wake
    Thief 2
    Max payne and Hitman series
    Sims games (The sims3, Simcity, RollerCoaster Etc)
    Elder of Scrolls games as well
    Prey
    The Witcher 1&2
    Anno series is really interesting too

Free to play Tribes Ascend is pretty cool too.

Also minecraft and terraria similar games but a lot of people are into these right now

But check out older games that you wouldnt mind replaying on pc. The added graphical power makes the games feel fresh and new again Emulator fun is sweet too! Playing old NES, N64 and Super Nintendo titles. Such a blast from the past!

Ps Steams summer sales are just about to begin too! Great value there as well!! WOO
    Last edited by PS3!!!!!; 06-25-2012 at 00:54.
    Six Years With PSU!~ Favourite Games of all Time~ Smash Bros, Spyro, GTA series and Elder Scrolls Series
    Add me on PSN FOXY007 OR Steam psn_foxy007
    My Hardware~ Sony Bravia 240hz 3D 40".. Ps3 Slim250gig and Sony Bravia Surround Sound 5.1
    PC- i7 3930k|gtx670|8g ram|2T HDD|Bluray disc drive

21. Likes PS4freak , F34R likes this post
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    I know freak has already played Deus Ex Human revolution, but its $7.49 on steam now (75% off)
    16 hours left. I so wanna buy it but my laptop will probably get like 15-20fps

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by itachi73378 View Post
    I know freak has already played Deus Ex Human revolution, but its $7.49 on steam now (75% off)
    16 hours left. I so wanna buy it but my laptop will probably get like 15-20fps
    Its temping but I already have it on ps3 and never beat it
    Six Years With PSU!~ Favourite Games of all Time~ Smash Bros, Spyro, GTA series and Elder Scrolls Series
    Add me on PSN FOXY007 OR Steam psn_foxy007
    My Hardware~ Sony Bravia 240hz 3D 40".. Ps3 Slim250gig and Sony Bravia Surround Sound 5.1
    PC- i7 3930k|gtx670|8g ram|2T HDD|Bluray disc drive

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Quote Originally Posted by HellsJester View Post
    Steam is cheaper during sales.
    I got Metro for $5 and Stalker series for $5
    Yeah I'm holding off on games until more Steam sales. Want to make sure I get the most bang for my buck

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by PS3!!!!! View Post
    Its temping but I already have it on ps3 and never beat it
    Yeah steam makes me do that. I buy games because of sales and then never play them
    Last edited by Itachi; 06-25-2012 at 07:40.

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    Yeah I'm holding off on games until more Steam sales. Want to make sure I get the most bang for my buck
    Give us your new steam id and i will consider buying you a game.

Thread Information