Latest PSU headlines:

Ultimate Veteran
    Items DreamcastPlayStationNintendoBullyGTA ClaudeFinal Fantasy IX
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

It is "absolutely critical" to develop new IP, says Sony boss

PlayStation CEO Andre House is a firm backer of Sony’s push for new properties.

Speaking to MCV, House stressed how important it is for Sony to introduce new IPs and ideas.

“It is absolutely critical,” he said.

“We’ve always felt that the strength of our platform has been a kind of symbiotic relationship between the platform being created and strengthened by new experiences. And then that reinforcing the strength and one hopes the longevity of the platform overall.”

House appeared unimpressed by doubts that new IP can gain traction at the end of a hardware cycle.

“I’ve heard conventional wisdom in the industry that says – and it is kind of like an American presidency – that the first two years in a lifecycle is the only chance to innovate with a new audience. We take a different view,” he added.

“It is part of the role of a platform holder to have the confidence and to make the investment where necessary to show that six years into a lifecycle, there is a significant audience that is going to actively peruse new IP. And the onus on that is to deliver on those expectations.”

Sony showed off The Last of Us and Beyond: Twin Souls during its E3 2012 press conference, both new properties expected to launch on PlayStation 3 next year.
    Source

3DS Friend Code: 1349-4916-2054

PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Sony delivers like no other in the industry, that's the reason for 16 years of my support and still going strong. Can't stand the minimalist approach...
    Click HERE to create your mercenary and get exclusive in-game items.

THE GREY CARDINAL (eWar Merc) - COVERT SUBTERFUGE (Minmatar Scout)
    CEO of PSU GHOST SYNDICATE - PSU in-game channel: PSU GHOST

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    GreatnessRD
    Items User name style
    Hope it continues. Still wish Sony would make a wrestling game!

$Greatness$ Awaits™

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    I agree. But I think once we see a new generation of consoles, they will be a clean slate in terms of install base. So companies will start taking a few more risks again.

PS4/PS3/X360/WiiU/PC/3DS/PSV

PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkVincent07 View Post
    I agree. But I think once we see a new generation of consoles, they will be a clean slate in terms of install base. So companies will start taking a few more risks again.
    I would have thought it was the opposite, companies will play it safe until the install base is up. I wonder how long 3rd party will continue to support current gen for. 120,000,000 potential consumers is more appeaing than the few million they will get in the first year of gen 8.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    I would have thought it was the opposite, companies will play it safe until the install base is up. I wonder how long 3rd party will continue to support current gen for. 120,000,000 potential consumers is more appeaing than the few million they will get in the first year of gen 8.
    I pondered this after reading ubisoft or ea (cant remember) said something about new ip and new generations.
    I thought, how does that work? Taking risks with such a small userbase , but then it really is the ideal time when you think about it. Nobody is going to blast you because you don't measure up to past games because they don't exist. Your production values can afford to be small because no one launches with a product with huge production values on a new machine.
    Most first games are little more than PC ports, your not worried about optimizing or polishing the hell out of it.

Ubisoft launched with GRAW (which was different enough to be a complete new IP) and Assassins Creed for examples
    Last edited by mynd; 06-20-2012 at 10:37.
    2play:Red Dead, GTA 4,Batman AC,Batman AO,Borderlands 2,Skyrim,Sleeping Dogs,Reckoning,Dead Island, DarkSiders 2,Dark Souls,Dead Space 2,MGS 3,MGS:PW, XCOM:EU,Hitman Absolution,Biosuck Infinite,Assassins Creed 3,Deus Ex,Castlevania, Halo Wars,Civilization,Forza Horizon,Black Ops,Black Ops 2,MW3,LA Noire,Crackdown,Dead Rising 2,Fallout 3, Fallout:NV,RE 4, Bully, Hitman HD collecton.

PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    I pondered this after reading ubisoft or ea (cant remember) said something about new ip and new generations.
    I thought, how does that work? Taking risks with such a small userbase , but then it really is the ideal time when you think about it. Nobody is going to blast you because you don't measure up to past games because they don't exist. Your production values can afford to be small because no one launches with a product with huge production values on a new machine.
    It's a tricky situation. I think I would rather stick with 7th gen with my optimised engine and large user install base than to go into gen 8 feeling that I can make a game with lesser production values because there's no comparisons. I'm very interested to see how the transition goes. This gen is a lot different to last gen, the level of graphics is very high and way more than acceptable for a lot of people. We are seeing games like Bioshock Infinite, TLOU, Beyond, Halo 4 and these are amazing looking games. Add in the Wii U and it's current gen performance, I think the transition to next gen will be a prolonged one with 7th and 8th gen living side by side for quite some time to come. Well, time will tell. Kojima reckons his Fox Engine is for current gen hardware for example.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    It's a tricky situation. I think I would rather stick with 7th gen with my optimised engine and large user install base than to go into gen 8 feeling that I can make a game with lesser production values because there's no comparisons. I'm very interested to see how the transition goes. This gen is a lot different to last gen, the level of graphics is very high and way more than acceptable for a lot of people. We are seeing games like Bioshock Infinite, TLOU, Beyond, Halo 4 and these are amazing looking games. Add in the Wii U and it's current gen performance, I think the transition to next gen will be a prolonged one with 7th and 8th gen living side by side for quite some time to come. Well, time will tell. Kojima reckons his Fox Engine is for current gen hardware for example.
    95% of third party games at launch (and with in the first 18 months likely) will be high end PC conversions.
    Its unlikely they will take any advantage of the consoles specifically, but I would still think the difference between a high end PC game now, and what we get with this gen games would be significant enough for you to notice the difference.
    Its the key role of exclusives in those first couple of years to lead the way, show whats possible and drive people to play (and buy) new consoles.
    2play:Red Dead, GTA 4,Batman AC,Batman AO,Borderlands 2,Skyrim,Sleeping Dogs,Reckoning,Dead Island, DarkSiders 2,Dark Souls,Dead Space 2,MGS 3,MGS:PW, XCOM:EU,Hitman Absolution,Biosuck Infinite,Assassins Creed 3,Deus Ex,Castlevania, Halo Wars,Civilization,Forza Horizon,Black Ops,Black Ops 2,MW3,LA Noire,Crackdown,Dead Rising 2,Fallout 3, Fallout:NV,RE 4, Bully, Hitman HD collecton.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    I'm glad they have that mindset. You can only play a series for so long before you start losing interest, which is the case for R&C this gen for most people.
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzyreactor
    Nothing more exciting than bringing home a brand new console and watching a download screen for a hour.

yay, next gen!

10. Likes Nitey wishes they had posted this first.

Thread Information