Latest PSU headlines:

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Ultimate Veteran
    Black's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Fusion gunship
    Age
    23
    Posts
    21,377
    Rep Power
    184
    Points
    47,371 (0 Banked)
    Items DreamcastPlayStationNintendoBullyGTA ClaudeFinal Fantasy IX
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

    It is "absolutely critical" to develop new IP, says Sony boss

    PlayStation CEO Andre House is a firm backer of Sony’s push for new properties.



    Speaking to MCV, House stressed how important it is for Sony to introduce new IPs and ideas.

    “It is absolutely critical,” he said.

    “We’ve always felt that the strength of our platform has been a kind of symbiotic relationship between the platform being created and strengthened by new experiences. And then that reinforcing the strength and one hopes the longevity of the platform overall.”

    House appeared unimpressed by doubts that new IP can gain traction at the end of a hardware cycle.

    “I’ve heard conventional wisdom in the industry that says – and it is kind of like an American presidency – that the first two years in a lifecycle is the only chance to innovate with a new audience. We take a different view,” he added.

    “It is part of the role of a platform holder to have the confidence and to make the investment where necessary to show that six years into a lifecycle, there is a significant audience that is going to actively peruse new IP. And the onus on that is to deliver on those expectations.”

    Sony showed off The Last of Us and Beyond: Twin Souls during its E3 2012 press conference, both new properties expected to launch on PlayStation 3 next year.
    Source

    3DS Friend Code: 1349-4916-2054

  2. #2
    PSU Community Manager
    Ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Posts
    12,567
    Rep Power
    127
    Points
    6,104,035 (100,956 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Sony delivers like no other in the industry, that's the reason for 16 years of my support and still going strong. Can't stand the minimalist approach...
    Click HERE to create your mercenary and get exclusive in-game items.

    THE GREY CARDINAL (eWar Merc) - COVERT SUBTERFUGE (Minmatar Scout)
    CEO of PSU GHOST SYNDICATE - PSU in-game channel: PSU GHOST



  3. #3
    Forum Elder
    $Greatness$'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    PSN ID
    GreatnessRD
    Posts
    2,880
    Rep Power
    51
    Points
    24,382 (5,000 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Hope it continues. Still wish Sony would make a wrestling game!


    $Greatness$ Awaits™


  4. #4
    Trying not to break stuff...
    DarkVincent07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Age
    21
    Posts
    17,204
    Rep Power
    104
    Points
    44,725 (0 Banked)
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I agree. But I think once we see a new generation of consoles, they will be a clean slate in terms of install base. So companies will start taking a few more risks again.

    PS4/PS3/X360/WiiU/PC/3DS/PSV


  5. #5
    PSU Community Manager
    Ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Posts
    12,567
    Rep Power
    127
    Points
    6,104,035 (100,956 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkVincent07 View Post
    I agree. But I think once we see a new generation of consoles, they will be a clean slate in terms of install base. So companies will start taking a few more risks again.
    I would have thought it was the opposite, companies will play it safe until the install base is up. I wonder how long 3rd party will continue to support current gen for. 120,000,000 potential consumers is more appeaing than the few million they will get in the first year of gen 8.
    Click HERE to create your mercenary and get exclusive in-game items.

    THE GREY CARDINAL (eWar Merc) - COVERT SUBTERFUGE (Minmatar Scout)
    CEO of PSU GHOST SYNDICATE - PSU in-game channel: PSU GHOST



  6. #6
    Power Member
    mynd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    41
    Posts
    16,660
    Rep Power
    154
    Points
    99,672 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    I would have thought it was the opposite, companies will play it safe until the install base is up. I wonder how long 3rd party will continue to support current gen for. 120,000,000 potential consumers is more appeaing than the few million they will get in the first year of gen 8.
    I pondered this after reading ubisoft or ea (cant remember) said something about new ip and new generations.
    I thought, how does that work? Taking risks with such a small userbase , but then it really is the ideal time when you think about it. Nobody is going to blast you because you don't measure up to past games because they don't exist. Your production values can afford to be small because no one launches with a product with huge production values on a new machine.
    Most first games are little more than PC ports, your not worried about optimizing or polishing the hell out of it.

    Ubisoft launched with GRAW (which was different enough to be a complete new IP) and Assassins Creed for examples
    Last edited by mynd; 06-20-2012 at 10:37.
    2play:Red Dead, GTA 4,Batman AC,Batman AO,Borderlands 2,Skyrim,Sleeping Dogs,Reckoning,Dead Island, DarkSiders 2,Dark Souls,Dead Space 2,MGS 3,MGS:PW, XCOM:EU,Hitman Absolution,Biosuck Infinite,Assassins Creed 3,Deus Ex,Castlevania, Halo Wars,Civilization,Forza Horizon,Black Ops,Black Ops 2,MW3,LA Noire,Crackdown,Dead Rising 2,Fallout 3, Fallout:NV,RE 4, Bully, Hitman HD collecton.

  7. #7
    PSU Community Manager
    Ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Posts
    12,567
    Rep Power
    127
    Points
    6,104,035 (100,956 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    I pondered this after reading ubisoft or ea (cant remember) said something about new ip and new generations.
    I thought, how does that work? Taking risks with such a small userbase , but then it really is the ideal time when you think about it. Nobody is going to blast you because you don't measure up to past games because they don't exist. Your production values can afford to be small because no one launches with a product with huge production values on a new machine.
    It's a tricky situation. I think I would rather stick with 7th gen with my optimised engine and large user install base than to go into gen 8 feeling that I can make a game with lesser production values because there's no comparisons. I'm very interested to see how the transition goes. This gen is a lot different to last gen, the level of graphics is very high and way more than acceptable for a lot of people. We are seeing games like Bioshock Infinite, TLOU, Beyond, Halo 4 and these are amazing looking games. Add in the Wii U and it's current gen performance, I think the transition to next gen will be a prolonged one with 7th and 8th gen living side by side for quite some time to come. Well, time will tell. Kojima reckons his Fox Engine is for current gen hardware for example.
    Click HERE to create your mercenary and get exclusive in-game items.

    THE GREY CARDINAL (eWar Merc) - COVERT SUBTERFUGE (Minmatar Scout)
    CEO of PSU GHOST SYNDICATE - PSU in-game channel: PSU GHOST



  8. #8
    Power Member
    mynd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    41
    Posts
    16,660
    Rep Power
    154
    Points
    99,672 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    It's a tricky situation. I think I would rather stick with 7th gen with my optimised engine and large user install base than to go into gen 8 feeling that I can make a game with lesser production values because there's no comparisons. I'm very interested to see how the transition goes. This gen is a lot different to last gen, the level of graphics is very high and way more than acceptable for a lot of people. We are seeing games like Bioshock Infinite, TLOU, Beyond, Halo 4 and these are amazing looking games. Add in the Wii U and it's current gen performance, I think the transition to next gen will be a prolonged one with 7th and 8th gen living side by side for quite some time to come. Well, time will tell. Kojima reckons his Fox Engine is for current gen hardware for example.
    95% of third party games at launch (and with in the first 18 months likely) will be high end PC conversions.
    Its unlikely they will take any advantage of the consoles specifically, but I would still think the difference between a high end PC game now, and what we get with this gen games would be significant enough for you to notice the difference.
    Its the key role of exclusives in those first couple of years to lead the way, show whats possible and drive people to play (and buy) new consoles.
    2play:Red Dead, GTA 4,Batman AC,Batman AO,Borderlands 2,Skyrim,Sleeping Dogs,Reckoning,Dead Island, DarkSiders 2,Dark Souls,Dead Space 2,MGS 3,MGS:PW, XCOM:EU,Hitman Absolution,Biosuck Infinite,Assassins Creed 3,Deus Ex,Castlevania, Halo Wars,Civilization,Forza Horizon,Black Ops,Black Ops 2,MW3,LA Noire,Crackdown,Dead Rising 2,Fallout 3, Fallout:NV,RE 4, Bully, Hitman HD collecton.

  9. #9
    Ultimate Veteran
    AaronSOLDIER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Age
    21
    Posts
    20,418
    Rep Power
    115
    Points
    60,911 (0 Banked)
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I'm glad they have that mindset. You can only play a series for so long before you start losing interest, which is the case for R&C this gen for most people.
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzyreactor
    Nothing more exciting than bringing home a brand new console and watching a download screen for a hour.

    yay, next gen!

  10. Likes Nitey wishes they had posted this first.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

PSU

Playstation Universe

Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission of Abstract Holdings International Ltd. prohibited.
Use of this site is governed by our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.