Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Old games or new games

New GamesorOldGames?Who Wins? Jun 19th, 2012 @ 10:02 pm › Telepot ↓ Leave a comment

People have always said that the old games are the best, that the classics are better than the new games from the same franchise, well, on PS3 and Xbox 360 anyway. Call of Duty springs to mind when we think, “the old games are the best, the new ones are rubbish!” – this is not particularly due to campers now, is it?

Developers are currently developing a lot of great games, true, but most of the gaming community forever beg them to go back to their roots and develop something like what they developed back in the day, but futurized, so there are new features and such. Sure, you can argue that that is what they’ve done all along, but think back. Is it? Some games were terrible back in the day and have only just hit storm, for example last year Gran Turismo was at it’s climax of gaming history, before that however, the Gran Turismo games were, well, terrible.

This is not a graphics argument. Everyone would love to have some classic games with better graphics, especially first person shooter games. Shooter games are the most popular games at the moment, they require a lot more work however with graphics. Once graphics have been mastered the developers have a lot of models to place around and create maps, simple once they know what they are doing. All of this done they add features, and add, and add. But why? I guarantee people would buy an old game like CoD4 with remastered graphics and a bit more DLC.

Even older games such as GTA: San Andreas would also be a great game to be recreated (which may be in development in GTA5), everyone loved Gta SA, people have also said it was the best Gta. When Gta 4 was released it had a lot of graphic edits, control edits and things just didn’t feel right and were hard to get used to at first. I’m sure everyone would agree if I said we would like to see a Grand Theft Auto San Andreas 2 of some sort? Everyone is already ecstatic about the upcoming GTA 5 because it’s set in the same places as GTA SA.

What do you think? Some just want more and more updates and some just want origins. We’re not saying its Nokia 3310 vs iPhone 4s, but some people prefer oldies, what about you?
    Old games always, i prefer old to new games. Love blowing the dust of my old games and getting my mates around having a few beets and just talking,about how games use to be

Link: http://visiongaming.org/en/blog/2012...-or-old-games/
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-12-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    Quote Originally Posted by claud3 View Post
    Old games always, i prefer old to new games. Love blowing the dust of my old games and getting my mates around having a few beets and just talking,about how games use to be
    Those were good times man. Miss em.

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    So right mate, my mates and i

A few beers and a healthy argument breaks out. For what was the best old game or series. Back in the day
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    Lol I was really young but I remember my friend would bring his SNES games and we'd play em on mines games like Donkey Kong Country,old school Mario kart,Spider-man,Zombies ate my Neighbors! and some other co-op games I can't think of. Ah the nostalgia man.

‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Franchise wise the majority of games improve but overall the games of old seem to challenge us more than the games of new. Deathmatch games cease to be popular its all team based so the gamers cannot blame themselves for loosing, no its the "Noob team" they joined.
    Last edited by keefy; 06-20-2012 at 15:51.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Agreed mate. When i put a old game in to my old console, i feel a giggle and a tear happens. Because the memories are so amazing

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Lol I remember that feeling great memories indeed.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    The best of the best is the memories and having friends and family actually enjoy gaming, unlike now. Because their is selective gaming for all the family to enjoy. Its no case of pick up a game and family play

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Yeah It's pretty different nowadays you got gaming over online and all that which is cool and all..

Elite Sage

I agree with Keefy. Gone are the days of fast paced deathmatch twitch shooters. In my, humble, opinion the old school shooters, the Quake's, UT's and the CS's are no more and i believe they actually required a certain amount of skill to remain competitive. Not like todays BF3,CODS,KZs that are much slower gameplay, regen health and over powered guns.

In short, i prefer old games.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Gaming now has lost the family gathering of the gaming past. Even Nintendo has lost its roots

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Thats one way to put it they are straying out way far..

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    The Nintendo Wii was trying to bring it back. But failed when they started to late and to much in one go

Dedicated Member
    New and old. When ever I start a new game, especially a great one, I just get a rush of excitement that I generally don't feel from older games (and no I don't mean some new CoD game that's a retread of the last four games, I mean something new and interesting). At the same time, I enjoy revisiting some of my favorite games.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Me its the other way round.. just never get that long standing excitement for new games

Dedicated Member
    Also doesn't hurt that the past few years have honestly been the prime time of my gaming experience. I was too young and naive to fully enjoy the last few generations. My first console was a PS2 and I didn't even play any of the best games that were on it until after I had a PS3.

I agree with you guys on shooters though, it's a real shame that fast paced twitch shooters have been dying out.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Me the memories are of playing, double drangon, sonic, alex the kidd, mega man etc etc.... this is the memories that you have to keep

Forum Guru
    For me the worst change has been the change to highly scripted games which basically work as a tunnel run.
    It may work for some games, but it has become a norm in way too many genres.
    -------
    Couple of nice blog posts about OpenGL.
    The Truth on OpenGL Driver Quality
    Things that drive me nuts about OpenGL

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Look, we have are search for memories that keep us warm and happy. When we blow the dust away and play like we were kids again. The time when all made sense and it was so simple then

Absolutely new is rare, everything is simple change.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    Nintendo got back to its roots with the Wii.

But anything before GT5 was terrible? Wtf I loved GT4 on ps2 as well as GT3 and GT2 I don't agree with that comment in the article.

If anyone of the big 3 can bring anything NEW it would be nintendo.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Nintendo haven't been great since the SNES IMO.

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    For me, a lot of why people think "old" vs "new" being better is mostly due to nostalgia.

I find that save for a few classic titles, most games never hold up.
    Be Together - Not the same.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    The SNES to me is the greatest console of all time and also the most important for various reasons. The library of the SNES has to be tops of any console ever.

Nintendo was last great in the N64 Era when it comes to home console first party titles and came back strong in the Wii's heyday with super mario galaxy and Zelda games

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Its not about games holding up. Its about the experiences and fun, memories and the effect these games had over youre gaming life. I enjoy old games far more than new games. Yes new games better graphics, scripts etc etc... but old games are a link to the past and a time when games were hard and enjoyable. Yes their was god awful games back in the day. But they are still remembered, not many modern games will be remembered

Thread Information