Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Trip advice: Mayan Riviera, Mexico.

Hey PSU, I wanted to know about this place, and I know some members on here are from Mexico. I'm not going here, my mom is. She works in photography and her latest client is getting married.

She's going there for a week or so on december 21st, 2012 of all dates. What I'm worried about is all the tourist deaths you hear about on the news. Every news article I read was from Canadian and American tourists who had their family or loves ones kidnapped for money or beheaded because of the drug lords. Now I'm sure the media is just trying hard to get more readers and scare people away, but there is some truth to that story. I doubt they're telling it for no reason...

I told my mom not to go, but she's very stubborn. She won't listen to logic. It's always her way. I wanna know about this place, so I can pass this information around to her and hell, I might even go to the police just to tell them where she's going so they can track her movement somehow in case something happens.

She told me she won't mingle with the locals or go too far off into the city and she has been to other similar, danger-areas like Honduras before (don't mistake that for me saying Honduras or Mexico are lower) and nothing happened. She's not rich so she has nothing to flaunt around in terms of jewelry or wads of cash..I'm just afraid as hell. I don't want anything to happen to her as I love her very much. So can anyone tell me some things about this place, the Mayan Rivera or even Mexico and anything else to avoid in terms of scams.

I already searched around google for this specific place, but I couldn't find anything substantial. And I even asked Yahoo Answers this same question(s). I just want as many answers as possible.

The other thing I'm worried about is the date. It's december 21st, 2012. I don't believe in the end of the world but a small or moderate amount of the global population still do. I'm scared people will start rioting and killing each other when that happens because of their belief that everything is ending. Call me paranoid, but humans are capable of turning on each other in an instant or as soon as the opportunity arises. What is the Mexican people's religious views of 2012? Is it just a calendar ending like many have said or do they believe in the Rapture? I need to take all these variables into account.

Thanks
    Last edited by Lebowski; 06-21-2012 at 05:00.

Master Genshin
    If she doesn't mingle with the locals and stays away from downtown areas she should be ok. There are some tourist parts of Mexico that are safe if you try not to stand out too much. I wouldn't worry about it and would just wish her a safe trip. Otherwise you can go with her if you want to feel better, and get to see some new scenery.

3. Likes Lebowski likes this post
    The Heisman

the majority of the violence is along the border... far from the Mayan Riviera...

I went there last year with my (ex) gf. We had a great time and the locals were very friendly. Nothing sketchy at all.
    In fact, most locals are appalled/embarrassed/angry about the border violence... as it gives a misconception of the entire country.

She'll be fine. That said... I wouldn't get wasted and go walking down any dark allies by myself.

By Theft
    I am stunned that some people appear to love their Playstation(1,2,3) or Xbox(360) more than I love the Denver Broncos.
    Trust me, it's sad

5. Likes Lebowski likes this post
    Elite Sage
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DS
    What? Like seriously, what? Tourist deaths? Really? Where? Do the news say that? Well I don't know where they happen, but surely not in Mexico my friend. I'm not saying they don't happen, but it's not like every damn tourist who visits the Mayan Riviera gets killed. She's safe to come down here. Besides, Cancun and surroundings are touristic as hell, and she's safe wherever she goes. Hell, she can even take a trip to the damn jungle and still be ok. So much fear is created by US news and that pisses me off, way too much. The Mayan Riviera is Mexico's jewel of the crown and everyone knows it, from thieves, drug lords to cops. Everything is absolutely safe since anything happening in the area would kill tourism which is the main source of income for so many families. If she can chose, tell her to stay in Playa del Carmen. It's 10 times as beautiful and 10 times quieter. If she can also chose, have her stay at a resort so she doesn't have to leave for anything else other than to do her work and that's it.

Also, dec 21? Please, the only people who believe in that $#@! are americans. Everyone is catholic down here, and the end of the world is just an advertisement stunt yet again by our stupid neighbors. What dec 21, 2012 marks is the end of an era in the Mayan calendar, much like years of different animals change in the chinese one. No riots are going to happen, and quite the opposite actually. There are going to be big events and gatherings of people near Mayan ruins to commemorate this change of eras.

So yeah, your mom should be fine. Tell her to bring a bathing suit and enjoy her vacation!
    Last edited by Thorzilla; 06-22-2012 at 15:09.
    |My Playfire|My Deviantart|
    - SIG BY MY SISTER-

7. Likes Lebowski likes this post
    Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    Well thanks for all the answers guys. Sorry, the goddamn media always reports this stuff and they make it seem like it's the worst place in the world (I beg to differ). Again, thank you all for the answers. Mods can lock thread, it's been answered.

Apprentice

Even though you have your answer I just want to reassure you. My experience was similar to DayWalker's. I went a year and a half ago with my wife, we stayed in Carmen Del Playa for 10 days and did day trips in different areas of the Yucatan. It was amazing, everyone was super cool and friendly and we never once saw a sketchy situation or felt threatened in any way. We are off the beaten path types too and did some significant exploring in some cities to find the good local food and stuff. Even in downtown areas and such it all seeemed kick back and friendly in the Riviera. Like others said, I believe the troubles are more border related as that is where drugs are moved from one country to the other. Big business with big consequences, but the Mayan Riviera is FAR from those areas.

10. Likes Lebowski likes this post

Thread Information