View Poll Results: Is it time to let Snake die and with it the MGS series?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

9 21.43%
  • No

19 45.24%
  • Who cares? I'll play any game Kojima throws at me

13 30.95%
  • meh.. don't think Kojima or MG are good anyway

1 2.38%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I think every series needs to die eventually... If not DIE then at least END. It seems more respectful than to keep pumping out unnecessary prequels and sequels

Editor & Moderator
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkVincent07 View Post
    I think every series needs to die eventually... If not DIE then at least END. It seems more respectful than to keep pumping out unnecessary prequels and sequels
    I agree wholeheartedly. But really, I don't think MGS is there yet. I think that point is reached when a.) they run out of feasible plot, b.) the games' quality begins to decline, or c.) nothing new is (or can be) added to justify another game.

To be honest, I only jumped on the MGS bandwagon with MGS4, so maybe I just haven't had my fair share of the series to know what's good for it. But from my perspective I think they could still make at least one more game (being MGS5).
    Read my work on Medium, my blog, and connect with me on Twitter.

3. Likes PS4freak , bigCman123, davin_g likes this post
    Superior Member

Quote Originally Posted by SchaffinOSX View Post
    I agree wholeheartedly. But really, I don't think MGS is there yet. I think that point is reached when a.) they run out of feasible plot, b.) the games' quality begins to decline, or c.) nothing new is (or can be) added to justify another game.

To be honest, I only jumped on the MGS bandwagon with MGS4, so maybe I just haven't had my fair share of the series to know what's good for it. But from my perspective I think they could still make at least one more game (being MGS5).
    And this is just yet another reason why the series shouldn't die. So many players first time playing a MGS title was MGS4 on PS3. This game series has been so good it will appeal to new players and old alike for years to come. The universe that they have created while not quite on Star Wars level but it is so gripping and wonderfully thought out...the characters so soulful....this game can continue to be made and deserves to be as long as they continue to put the heart and time and effort into keeping it authentic and evolving yet holding true to its roots. A genuine MGS game will always be well received IMO.

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    Here's thing about all MGS games, each one had something new in terms of gameplay or mechanics.

MGS1 - First 3D stealth action game

MGS2 - New character: Raiden. Highly improved visuals.

MGS3 - The best one, IMO. New camera control to look around the environment easier, the simulation of hunting animals, food in the jungle and treating your words. First stealth SURVIVAL action game.

MGS4 - Insanely amazing graphics, blend in camouflage system.

Portable Ops and Peace Walker - Took all the elements from MGS1 through MGS4, and added a strategy system to it. You can recruit soldiers, have them do missions, or use them on missions. Amazing item delivery system. Amazing online co-op mode where if you're stuck on a mission, you can host your mission online for up to 4 people to join and help you beat it. And I can't count how many annoying tank battles I had to use co-op in.

And the one thing they all have in common? Cinema-style storytelling. Kojima blends some of the Japanese culture with his personal Western influences into this game, and some of the themes and messages in this series feel realistic. Nuclear deterrance is the overall theme of the series, and then it gets into the Patriots from MGS2 to MGS4, but it gets even more philosophical then. Even Big Boss' "An Army Without Borders" is such an interesting ideal, and it makes you try to pick sides. Do you choose to side with Solid Snake, his son, who is just following orders, who doesn't want Metal Gears to be used. Or do you go with Big Boss, who believes that every solider should not be forced to swear allegiance to one nation.

It is these kinda political and social themes that make me love this game, because stuff like that can happen. Not metal gears or patriots, but eventually someone using a nuclear switch as an ultimatum for the world if demands are not met. Even with the START treaties and all. There are still active nukes in the world.

This is why the series shouldn't end anytime soon. I think Kojima has a little more up his sleeve left. I'm honestly surprised how he's not a film-maker in Hollywood as a side job. I would love to see a film from this guy.

With that being said, I believe it has to end at some point. You can't turn this into COD, a parody of itself. But if we ever have virtual reality gaming, then I would love to experience an MGS-VR game, and I think it would be most appropriate to have a game like that since VR training is another theme of the series, and they even had a spin-off MGS game for the PS1 called the VR missions if you guys remember that. Also included in the Substance edition of MGS2.

/0.02 cents

6. Likes Nitey , keefy likes this post
    Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    doesn't bother me either way, the end for me was MGS4, I wont buy anymore MGS games anymore, the series is done for me. I personally think Kojima is throwing away a lot of potential talent by not making new IPs. He's always so stuck on MGS like Square/Enix is to Final Fantasy that to me is kind of crippling him in my opinion.

Veteran
    Items LiverpoolUser name style
    It did "end." MGS4 was the end.

We're strictly talking prequels now, which I am all for since there's a lot of the MGS timeline that remains unexplored.

9. Likes bigCman123, Mael Duin likes this post
    Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    Solid Snake still
    and even if he didn't, I would be just as happy

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by DreDayDetox View Post
    Solid Snake still
    and even if he didn't, I would be just as happy

12. Likes Mael Duin likes this post
    Veteran
    A little place called none of your **** business. United States.
    Items 360 SlimPS3 SlimNaughty Dog
    If Revengeance is an example of a "new direction" for Metal Gear, then give me more of the original MGS I have been playing since I was a kid. Revengeance looks like Bayonetta dog $#@!. Give me another MGS similar to the quality of MGS4 and I will be happy.

I don't really need a water cooler/remote control as of right now.

14. Likes Nitey , Lebowski likes this post
    Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibby View Post
    Ahh I gotcha..that would have been a cool way to go out..memorable..who knows, maybe on the 50th anniversary of it we'll get an extended cut of the ending

Veteran
    I been playing Metal Gear since I was a kid. 1986 or 87 I think is when it first came out?
    He's been apart of gaming for 25+ years now. That's longer then many of the people on these boards have been alive and you wanna just.... throw him away o_O?
    Blasphemy..........
    PCs are very much like Air Conditioners.
    They both become utterly useless once you start to open up Windows....
    ----------------------------------------------

17. Likes Lebowski , Abdou23 likes this post
    Veteran
    PSN ID
    SomaXD
    Items PhotoShopPhotoshopAssassins Creed EzioKillzone 3Guerrilla GamesNaughty DogRaidenNoctisiPhone BlackVitaDeath NoteFinal Fantasy VII
    no one likes MGS games any more... Snake should just dissapear... stick to Mario and Zelda... at least those are brand new and fresh characters...

oh, wait...
    Vanik Tetsu'ya
    PS4 500GB//PS3 MGS4 80GB//PS3 120GB Slim//360 250GB Slim//360 4GB Slim w/Kinect//Black Wii 4.3u softmod//PS Vita w/32gb card

19. Likes PS4freak likes this post
    Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by unicron7 View Post
    If Revengeance is an example of a "new direction" for Metal Gear, then give me more of the original MGS I have been playing since I was a kid. Revengeance looks like Bayonetta dog $#@!. Give me another MGS similar to the quality of MGS4 and I will be happy.
    It's just a spinoff, not a new direction for the series. Metal Gear Rising, not Metal Gear Solid. Looks pretty cool though, as long as you weren't expecting typical MGS out of it.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Quote Originally Posted by SomaXD View Post
    no one likes MGS games any more... Snake should just dissapear... stick to Mario and Zelda... at least those are brand new and fresh characters...

oh, wait...
    At first I was "WTF you on about?"

Bet then I saw what you did.

Ancient
    Poor Snake

MGS1 = (played as Solid Snake) Snake is a Bad Ass
    MGS2 = ( played as Raiden) No who is this girly boy! We want to play as Solid Snake!
    MGS3 = ( played as Big Boss) awesome we are playing as Big Boss in the 60!
    MGS4 = ( played as Solid Snake ) Oh man he is old I wanna play young snake, I don't like this he should die
    MGS5 is announced......I hope it ain't Solid Snake, he should kill him off already!

Solid Snake:I'm the hero of this game.

Not really Snake, in the MGS series you've only been in two games as the main character & nobody wants you anymore lol

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

23. Likes bigCman123 likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TGO View Post
    Poor Snake

MGS1 = (played as Solid Snake) Snake is a Bad Ass
    MGS2 = ( played as Raiden) No who is this girly boy! We want to play as Solid Snake!
    MGS3 = ( played as Big Boss) awesome we are playing as Big Boss in the 60!
    MGS4 = ( played as Solid Snake ) Oh man he is old I wanna play young snake, I don't like this he should die
    MGS5 is announced......I hope it ain't Solid Snake, he should kill him off already!

Solid Snake:I'm the hero of this game.

Not really Snake, in the MGS series you've only been in two games as the main character & nobody wants you anymore lol
    This is so true. Despite this I 100% have believed that MGS5 will have Big Boss (and maybe others) as the main character ever since I played Peace Walker. There is a huge section of untold stories that exist between Peace Walker and Metal Gear 1 and that is the best time to set a new MGS.

Also:

Why the hell was anyone surprised when Kojima mentioned they were working on MGS5. Also why would anyone suspect the main character isn't Big Boss in MGS5? Have you seen these drawings?

25. Likes Lebowski likes this post
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    I love Snake. I hope he never dies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Equinoqs
    Items Big BossFinal Fantasy XIILBP NarikoDemons Souls Cover
    As much as I'm sure I would LOVE another MGS-Snake game, I think MGS4 is a fine cap to his story. Any future MGS games have enough non-Snake/Big Boss/whoever characters to continue in spirit (i.e. Revengeance). I already know how well Kojima can do stealth action, I'm curious to see something different from him. Even a new ZoE would be a good change of pace.

Shut up and play games

Apprentice
    The last MGS should be 5, I'll always like the games but I'm at a point where I would rather see more time invested in New IP's. Keep going with novels, comics, movies or whatever, but let's go somewhere new with games.

PSN ID
    jack1982cp
    I've never cared for the Metal Gear Solid games - it's like a grade school kid tried to write a Tom Clancy novel. And the gameplay has way more than its share of problems as well. Playing MGS2 I had to toss the controller on the bed and just sit there laughing at how unbelievable awful parts of it were.

I really don't care what that guy does. He seems like he's off in his own little comic book world or something.

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Mods, hold me back before I unleash the wrath.

31. Likes Nitey likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Equinoqs
    Items Big BossFinal Fantasy XIILBP NarikoDemons Souls Cover
    The Dude abides, Dre...The Dude abides.

Shut up and play games

Elite Guru
    As I've been saying for a long time now....

I think that Metalgear has taken this specific story of Solid Snake as far as it can go....as it is at any rate.
    What I think can & should happen is for the "FoxHound" unit to take over & become a tactical shooter in its own right...still under the MetalGear franchise (MetalGear: FoxHound).
    It has all the elements already in MGS4 for that tactical shooter. By no means should it be a see & shoot game only. It can also use stealth or espionage.

I would howver suggest that (a)Konami deal with this server stuff & (b) Ensure that the game elements cannot be abused which change the game into something it shouldn't be....i.e. the camera abuse in 3rd person.

So...in part the MGS franchise should still give us more, but I think Solid as a lead character should take a back-seat or retire. Once you create a story that has him age to the point of near-death, I think its impossible to reverse in any acceptable way. Lets move on to new things.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Video games dont Affect Kids.
    If Pacman had affected us as Kids,
    We'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching Magic pills
    and Listening to repetitive, Electronic music

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Sherlock Holmes was killed off but Sir Arthur Conan Doyle brought him back due to fan pressure.

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Equinoqs View Post
    The Dude abides, Dre...The Dude abides.
    He's a nihilist dude.

Thread Information