Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Member
    PSgamer28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    California
    PSN ID
    breakend28
    Posts
    100
    Rep Power
    0
    Points
    1,984 (0 Banked)

    Cooling system for your my PS3 any suggestions?

    I have been looking online for an hour now and there are many laptop coolers on amazon that sound and look like they would work perfectly but after reading review after review they say they are breaking after a few weeks and these have high reviews! I am just wanting to keep my PS3 running smoothly for a long time and since this is my 3rd PS3, I think because my room gets very hot throughout the day and I don't like leaving my AC on all day it might be the corporate here.

  2. #2
    Super Moderator
    Lethal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kansas City
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Age
    34
    Posts
    11,540
    Rep Power
    144
    Points
    81,716 (0 Banked)
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Is this a slim PS3?

    Best thing to do is this.

    1. Open the console and replace the thermal paste on the cpu and gpu with something like Arctic Silver 5 or better. You can find this at any Radio Shack if you are in the States.

    2. Elevate the PS3 about 1/2" with little rubber spacers on each corner. Any hardware store will have this.
    Last edited by Lethal; 06-25-2012 at 17:06.

  3. #3
    Member
    PSgamer28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    California
    PSN ID
    breakend28
    Posts
    100
    Rep Power
    0
    Points
    1,984 (0 Banked)
    Yes this one is a slim. My phat PS3 (80GB) lasted almost 4 years but than I moved it from downstairs into my room (where it should be). So you don't recommend getting a cooling system (laptop cooler)?
    Last edited by PSgamer28; 06-25-2012 at 17:29.

  4. #4
    Super Moderator
    Lethal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kansas City
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Age
    34
    Posts
    11,540
    Rep Power
    144
    Points
    81,716 (0 Banked)
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by PSgamer28 View Post
    So you don't recommend getting a cooling system (laptop cooler)?
    Nope. That thing is useless. There are no vents under the PS3 for that to even work lol

  5. #5
    Member
    PSgamer28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    California
    PSN ID
    breakend28
    Posts
    100
    Rep Power
    0
    Points
    1,984 (0 Banked)
    I don't know much about working with the CPU or GPU I don't mind doing it myself I just don't want to break anything. I did upgrade my old PS3's HDD from a 80GB to a 500GB and that was easy.

    Excellent point! Lol Thanks

    So I looked into that thermal paste and found it easily like you said it's at any radio shack. I looked at its reviews and they said there is better thermal paste out there that is cheaper and have better performance than Arctic Silver 5 but I think these are for PCs. Do you think it matters?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    Is this a slim PS3?

    Best thing to do is this.

    1. Open the console and replace the thermal paste on the cpu and gpu with something like Arctic Silver 5 or better. You can find this at any Radio Shack if you are in the States.

    2. Elevate the PS3 about 1/2" with little rubber spacers on each corner. Any hardware store will have this.
    Last edited by Lethal; 06-25-2012 at 18:25.

  6. #6
    Super Moderator
    Lethal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kansas City
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Age
    34
    Posts
    11,540
    Rep Power
    144
    Points
    81,716 (0 Banked)
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by PSgamer28 View Post
    So I looked into that thermal paste and found it easily like you said it's at any radio shack. I looked at its reviews and they said there is better thermal paste out there that is cheaper and have better performance than Arctic Silver 5 but I think these are for PCs. Do you think it matters?
    The PS3 uses PC parts. The cpu and gpu are no different than what you have in your computer.

  7. #7
    Supreme Veteran
    keefy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    The Sock Gap
    Posts
    18,032
    Rep Power
    128
    Points
    65,102 (0 Banked)
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I used Arctic silver Ceramique 2 which is half the price for twice as much.
    http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Compo...roductId=46888

    I still have loads left after reflowing my PS3 3 times and using i to reseat a new CPU heatsink for my computer.

    Reflowing is usually a temp fix any way, you may get a few weeks or a few months befor eit will fail again.
    Last edited by keefy; 06-25-2012 at 18:37.

  8. Likes Lethal likes this post

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.