Page 1 of 5 1 ... LastLast
    Friendship is Carrots
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Was the bombing of Japan justifed?

I want to see where you guys carry this subject.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Hiroshima and Nagasaki? This is going to cause issues lol.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    No.

thread reopened

really though, was it a decisive end to a war? yes.
    but bombing civilians is not cool. US have a somewhat double standard with civilian lives.....
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    bolderdash
    With 20/20 hindsight it is easy to say "hell no! of course not!" but at the time, it was widely believed that the Japanese were fervent and ultra-nationalists and would drag the war out to every last man possible. From our perspective, we saved more american lives dropping the bombs because it would force the Japanese to surrender faced with that kind of power. Infact, the only reason we dropped the second bomb was because we didn't think it had the desired effect of shock and horror. In reality it did, but it was so devastating they were still taking the damage in when the second dropped. There are some arguments that the war would have ended in a couple months anyway, but we did not know that at the time. Do i feel remorse over the lives lost? absolutely. war is vicious and abhorrent. but based on the information they had, it was the right thing to do so i stand by that decision. Yes it was appropriate, yes it was necessary, yes it was one of the greatest human tragedies on this planet.

Somebody get me a doctor, I ain't feelin' ill ...But I ain't feelin' this at all...

6. Likes The Black Wolf likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    I'd call it a necessary evil. How else would you expect Japan to concede defeat?
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    It does not matter if we think it was justified or not. It happened over 60yrs ago and at the time it needed to be done. Naturally we do not know what times were like then and it is easy to say that today using such tactics is not justifiable. But then again, we are not living in 1945..

Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    Like, Blacksite said it was at the time, a necessary evil. The innocent will perish from the acts of evil. The Japanese are strong believers of honor so despite their inferior technological equipment, they still posed a serious challenge to America. Okinawa was said to be the most brutal and the campaign of island hopping towards Japan made them lose more then they expected. The invasion on Japan had a projected 1 million American casualties which is staggering compared to what we lost in World War II against Germany. I'm assuming that civilian casualties as a result of an invasion would be enormous in comparison to the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings. In order to save lives you need to end lives.

Was it justified?. I can't say, I have a double standard on this stance because I will never agree to the annihilation of people regardless of race but without such aggressive actions, a greater deal of people would of perished due to the decisions of the Japanese Empire. In the end, Japan lost it's rights to an empire but received freedom as a result.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    the_mooninites
    Items ICO
    No one here can answer that. We've never lived during that time. We don't know what they knew at that time, how their mind set was and a bunch of other factors.

Knowing what we know now, it's a huge tragedy that should have never taken place.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

Unbound Mercenary
    Whether is justified or not it happened. Would it happen today under the same circumstances? I doubt Obama, or Bush for that matter would have had the balls to order it done.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.

The Heisman
    in my opinion no. Growing up in the era that I/we have... I have a hard time supporting the intentional targeting of civilians. Remember that these cities had no military value.

If it were me I would have done the deserted island demo first. But there may have been a legit reason why that would not have been effective.

That said... it ended a terrible war, saved millions of american lives, and served to cement the US as a world power with a deterrent that it was not hesitant to use against future foes.

By Theft
    I am stunned that some people appear to love their Playstation(1,2,3) or Xbox(360) more than I love the Denver Broncos.
    Trust me, it's sad

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Obviously it was a very evil decision, but I don't know if it was justifiable.
    Warheads of today can cause tens of thousands times the size of the hiroshima blasts. There is NO justification of nuclear war today. Period

Elite Sage
    There is also a theory that it wasn't nuclear bombs that ended the war, it was the Soviets who decided to attack Japan. Seeing that it was better to surrender to USA was better choice, Japan decided to do that in order to keep their culture and way of life. Believed that if it were Soviets, the culture of Japan would have been lost.
    Man who chase after bus get exhausted, man who run in front of bus get tired
    Man who masturbates in class has firm grip of subject at hand
    Woman who sink in man's arms soon have arms in man's sink

Veteran
    Items FuturamaLinuxBlizzardUser name style
    Since when does US need justification to do anything? They are always bombing $#@! and starting wars.
    2010 Lethal's FF League Champion

16. Likes Itachi likes this post
    Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    Fixed.

Nothing should ever be taken to such extremes. Put it this way, if there was a war now how would you like it if one of those was dropped on your innocent ass?
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    I agree with btbam. Yes lots of people got killed and for a while it effected Japan, but that's part of war. U.S. Troops are fighting today to protect us and they also take lives every day to defend us.

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

young rich and tasteless
    Items ChelseaPS3 Fat
    Quote Originally Posted by FonFahbre View Post
    Like, Blacksite said it was at the time, a necessary evil. The innocent will perish from the acts of evil. The Japanese are strong believers of honor so despite their inferior technological equipment, they still posed a serious challenge to America. Okinawa was said to be the most brutal and the campaign of island hopping towards Japan made them lose more then they expected. The invasion on Japan had a projected 1 million American casualties which is staggering compared to what we lost in World War II against Germany. I'm assuming that civilian casualties as a result of an invasion would be enormous in comparison to the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings. In order to save lives you need to end lives.

Was it justified?. I can't say, I have a double standard on this stance because I will never agree to the annihilation of people regardless of race but without such aggressive actions, a greater deal of people would of perished due to the decisions of the Japanese Empire. In the end, Japan lost it's rights to an empire but received freedom as a result.
    The Japanese empire although a dictatorship was nit like north Korea or Egypt or libya. The people enjoyed many freedoms except they couldn't vote.

Never would have been a million. At the time and for years after it was said it would have saved 500 thousand American lives, but in truth actual military planners has the possible death toll around 70 k.

The real issue with the bomb was that they had it, and the intention had always been to use it. It was seen as any other weapon. The didn't really know its true destructive nature. Furthermore if they had of gone ahead with a land invasion, and then the news that they possessed this weapon got put, there would have been an uncontrollable public outcry back home. There was also the underlying issue of racism. An American life was worth much more than a Japanese life. Dropping the bomb made sense.

Also remember that dropping bombs on civilians was the done thing. Allied planes killed 100k people in Dresden in one night. And Japanese cities were almost bombed out anyway. Hiroshima and Nagasaki were chosen on part because they were relatively still in tact. Bombing of Japanese cities was lessened on the days prior to the bomb so there was enough stuff left to sufficiently demonstrate the bombs power.

To answer op. First one not sure, arguably yes. Second one, no. Never should have been dropped, the Japanese were going to surrender they just didn't get enough time.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by squirrelbo1; 06-26-2012 at 11:04.
    "Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life"

Quote Originally Posted by dc89 View Post
    If this makes time travel possible I'll go forward in time voluntarily to get my hands on CoD34 and Final Fantasy Versus XIII. They come out in the same year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seahawkk View Post
    I dont think i could take a dick, 1. im not gay and 2 one time i stuck my finger in my butt to see how it felt and i wasn't very pleased with the experience

Master Sage
    Simply put, yes. America needed Japan to concede and what better way to force them to do than by demonstrating the power of their atomic bombs. While it is a shame so many innocent civilians were killed, many of them families and young children, it's something that was needed in order for America to claim their victory. It does make me wonder, though, if America needed to do something similar in this day and age with the war in Iraq, would Obama actually have the balls to give the go ahead?

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    Looks like a just cause to me..

http://www.fogonazos.es/2007/02/hiro...ant-us_05.html

If anything this is exactly the reason why all atomic bombs should be destroyed worldwide. They went too far, and just the notion that there are things still out there capable of doing this its unnerving. Could you imagine, one mad man gets his hands on one of these and we could be vaporised in an instant.

They went way too far.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Master Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-The-Rave View Post
    They went way too far.
    But if America hadn't dropped the bombs, how long would it have been until Japan did something of the same magnitude? You have to remember that both USA and Japan had advanced technology (advanced for that day and age, anyway) so if America hadn't done it, Japan would've.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Japan sucker punched us, we punched back. It obviously worked and today it shows that it was the correct choice. The US and Japan have been allies ever since.
    Last edited by Lethal; 06-26-2012 at 12:19.

Super Carlton
    PSN ID
    JMEWalterblack
    Items PS3 Slim360 SlimiPhone 4 BlackGears of WarGoogle ChromeManchester UnitedUser name style
    Good to see this topic being discussed civilly thus far

Thanks to Final for the sick sig!

Veteran
    Items LiverpoolUser name style
    My face when seeing the thread title.

Seeing an educated and civil discussion was the last thing I expected lol.

My opinion:

Yes. For reasons already stated. We don't know how things would have played out had Japan's hand not been forced by way of the bombs, but you can be sure whatever that would have been wouldn't have been pretty either. It ended the war. In a war there is always collateral damage. They didn't know just how destructive it was going to be. The radiation is something they never really accounted for iirc.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Ya never know really.

Unbound Mercenary
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
    But if America hadn't dropped the bombs, how long would it have been until Japan did something of the same magnitude? You have to remember that both USA and Japan had advanced technology (advanced for that day and age, anyway) so if America hadn't done it, Japan would've.
    No, the next immediate step was a full scale marine invasion. Which could have played out for months, or even years, costing both sides innumerable losses.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.

Thread Information