Latest PSU headlines:

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

PS3's gaming capabilities are only just becoming apparent to everyone, says Sony

The PlayStation 3 is in many ways only just getting going, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe president and CEO Jim Ryan has told VideoGamer.com.
    "I can only speak to what we said, and the messaging there, which was very game-centric, was very carefully thought about, and really seeks to convey the point that the PS3 in many ways is only just getting going," said Ryan at E3 earlier this month. "It's a big, complicated, powerful machine. It's taken developers - our own developers, our own studios - a little time to get to grips with it, but I think you saw the fruits of that [at the keynote]."
    Sony showed Naughty Dog's The Last of Us, Quantic Dream's Beyond: Two Souls and Sony Santa Monica's God of War: Ascension, all of which impressed.
    "Some of that stuff was really exciting, I felt personally," Ryan added. "I sat right at the back so I could judge the mood of the room, and it was apparent to me that that mood was largely shared. I think the true capabilities of the PS3 as a gaming platform are just starting to become apparent to everyone."
    But what of the next generation? Ryan says the platform holder is currently just focusing on PS3.
    "We're really just focusing on PS3 right now. We've got a target, which is a matter of public record, of 30 million units to sell this fiscal year. It's pretty demanding, but given the software that was on display we've got a pretty good crack at that. I'm given demanding, aggressive numbers to meet, and that's what I'm focussed on right now. I think [SCE Worldwide Studios president] Shuhei Yoshida's team has given me the tools to do that."
    http://www.videogamer.com/news/ps3s_...says_sony.html

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    I take this as more evidence that the PS4 won't be here before 2014. Great that there will most likely be more games coming though.

PSN ID
    breakend28
    I have been saying this for awhile the PS3 still has a lot of potential! I'm glad to hear developers are finally seeing that

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    I dunno, some of the launch titles like MotorStorm still hold up great today. Third party games have certainly improved.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Forum Sage

It's good that they are still supporting the PS3 with new IP's but to say it is only now just opening up is nothing but PR dribble.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBettaKnow View Post
    It's good that they are still supporting the PS3 with new IP's but to say it is only now just opening up is nothing but PR dribble.
    I agree with that. I think its just to soften the blow of next gen starting a little later than expected.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    I take this as more evidence that the PS4 won't be here before 2014. Great that there will most likely be more games coming though.
    I agree. Sony PR spin. Sony is just saying this because most likely the PS4 wont be launching anytime soon and will most likely launch after the next Xbox is already out. Even Jack Tretton recently said that Sony never launches first and is never the cheapest.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    I think it's more accurate to say that Sonys 1st party engines are just starting to open up. We are getting stellar looking games now in 1st and 3rd party cause we are over half a decade into this gen and engines are very optimised. I don't mind if Sony release second and more expensive. I'd rather they wait and release the best console they can than to rush it out for the sake of slightly higher market share. I don't play sales.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    I think it's more accurate to say that Sonys 1st party engines are just starting to open up. We are getting stellar looking games now in 1st and 3rd party cause we are over half a decade into this gen and engines are very optimised. I don't mind if Sony release second and more expensive. I'd rather they wait and release the best console they can than to rush it out for the sake of slightly higher market share. I don't play sales.
    lol..it sounds like PR to me. The PS3 was already getting great looking titles like Uncharted 2 and GOW3. TLOU and Beyond look great too but definitely not a huge jump in the graphics department. IMO the real reason is because the PS3 wasn't profitable as early as they wanted this gen and they wan't it to last as long as possible, which is probably a smart thing to do.

10. Likes BBK.. likes this post
    Master Guru
    Sony is right. If you were just picking up a PS3 now you'd be set for the next 5 years without a single game being released. If you've owned a PS3 for a number of years you still probably have plenty of games to play because the library is so vast. It's the best gaming lineup we've seen in the history of gaming. Bar none.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by TDbank24 View Post
    Sony is right. If you were just picking up a PS3 now you'd be set for the next 5 years without a single game being released. If you've owned a PS3 for a number of years you still probably have plenty of games to play because the library is so vast. It's the best gaming lineup we've seen in the history of gaming. Bar none.
    Indeed.. Plenty to play from now til the next PS releases.

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Just like the PS2 games will still release for the PS3 when the 4 is out.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Superior Member

I think it's safe to say that the PS3 will likely launch holiday season 2013. Thats a year and a half away. Why take sales away from your current console by talking about your future console now?
    Shinei!

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by NuSoardGraphite View Post
    I think it's safe to say that the PS3 will likely launch holiday season 2013. Thats a year and a half away. Why take sales away from your current console by talking about your future console now?
    I don't know about that. They seem to be hinting at 2014 or 2015 with their latest comments.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    They can go the whole 10 years until PS4 is released if they want, I have a huge backlog to get through + a ton of JRPGs on the way which will easily keep me occupied for the next few years.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDug13
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

Soldier 95B
    I imagine they wouldn't say otherwise. All the companies are saying this. They don't want sales to diminish this late in the game, they want them to INCREASE, and they want to INCREASE profits and revenues.

Forum Sage

I'd have a lot more respect if they came out and said.
    "Yes, The [platform of your choice] is now on the other side of the peak performance and we're at a stage of diminishing returns but we are going to continue to support it with new IP's until we decide we want to release the successor, what we have no immediate plans for, as of yet"

Honesty goes a long way, PR people must think we are idiots at times

BBK. Tapatalking.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBettaKnow View Post
    I'd have a lot more respect if they came out and said. "Yes, The [platform of your choice] is now on the other side of the peak performance and we're at a stage of diminishing returns but we are going to continue to support it with new IP's until we decide we want to release the successor, what we have no immediate plans for, as of yet" Honesty goes a long way, PR people must think we are idiots at times BBK. Tapatalking.
    Definitley. PR statements like this one are an insult to our intelligence.

Soldier 95B
    Welcome back Rad.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    Welcome back Rad.
    Thanks Soldier. Good to be back.

Elite Member
    lol Sony says this kinda crap every year or two.

"WAIT U GAIZ OUR CONSOEL CAN DO MOAR"

Yeah I think it's pretty much hit its peak at this point. I don't see why that's a bad thing either, because it's peak allows for some damn fine-looking games.

Tapatalking from my bed. Ya mutha says hi.
    Thanks to Kwesnoth for the sig!

TheCinemaJack Movie Reviews!

Ultimate Veteran
    As long as they keep the good games comeing its fine..but i hope next-generation starts sooner then later.
    Trf i typeing from my tablet so i must have done something i like your post i dont know why it went thumds down
    Last edited by coolguy; 06-29-2012 at 00:48.

Thread Information