Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Master Guru
    Items Dark SoulsDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover

Please reconsider your news articles!

I have noticed for quite some time now that your style of presenting news has changed drastically, and unfortunately not for the better.

I think you are far too aggressive now with the way you write your articles. Some of them are borderline embarrassing or completely misleading, which really doesn't do the forums any favor.

How come you preach the site's rules in every way but come up with butt sex stories in your news articles? That is just hypocritical.

Please change back to your old habits of posting news.

Thanks.

2. Likes Fijiandoce likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I wasn't a big fan of this article from a couple weeks ago. I can understand wanting to draw more attention to the site but a lot of the feedback you did receive was negative. The aforementioned articles don't help either.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

Do you love GTA? Check out my general discussion thread here!

Master Guru
    Items Dark SoulsDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    Do staff members ever take note of these threads in the feedback forum?

Forum Guru
    Items User name style
    You guys read articles from this site? Maybe you have something to reconsider
    Vengeful is amazing<3

PSU Technical Advisor
    I too have noticed some of the recent articles being posted. Undoubtedly this is done for 'shock' appeal to get more hits to the site.

I was bit miffed with the MGO story. I rather liked that game when it first hit with MGS4.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Yeah I agree, $#@!ing bastards.

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

8. Likes Wrath likes this post
    Veteran
    LTTP? For some history, there was PS3Land that had PS3forums as the main URL. PS3Land was never a PS3 or Sony supporter either. As the founders said, they really looked on this site as a business venture, which is made more ironic by the old policy of users not advertising or even linking to ads, and now the home page is nothing but ads. It has gone through a name change, the ps3forums url has been allowed to expire, and at least two turnovers in ownership, although maintaining this "ps3centric but not ps3 fans" policy. The "reporters" are mostly volunteer individuals located in some remote places which are hardly gaming news centers so it is understandable they don't have access to the latest. Most of the "articles" are being lifted from N4G, sometimes paraphrased to appear somewhat original. Anyway, nothing much has changed in 7 years.
    Pacing in wait of Sony's imminent DOOM!...since 2006
    PS4 - The Only Hardcore Gaming Console = All Your Baserape Are Belong To Us

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by ps3isawesome View Post
    You guys read articles from this site? Maybe you have something to reconsider
    Lol.

I mainly just browse the Features section every now and then to see if they have anything worth reading. As Bligmerk pointed out, a lot of the articles are lifted from other sites, if not the forums itself.

Veteran
    Items User name styleE3PS3 Slim
    I'd be happy to respond to some of your concerns as the executive editor for the content here at PSU. First, our team of writers--mostly volunteer, yes--never, ever, ever, ever simply "lift" articles. We are a professional site and much of the content on the homepage comes from press releases. Other articles that are not "original" to PSU staff do come from interviews conducted by other sites or leaked info found by another site. We ALWAYS source the information so you know where it comes from. This is exactly what every other website does, it's just standard practice whether it's New York Times citing a Newsweek report, or IGN citing Eurogamer. So, no, PSU writers don't steal stuff from N4G -- in fact, we are being very aggressive about getting our original content on that site to bring more people to PSU, and thus build it back to where it was years ago.

As far as direction, I'd be happy to chat about that as well. The articles linked to in this thread so far are largely opinion-based. Can you be upset about someone's opinion? Sure, it's the internet, that's what people do. We are absolutely NOT the New York Times, we are a laid-back video game blogging site dedicated to the PlayStation fan community. That means we want to get readers engaged on Sony's trends in business, have fun with caption contests, and offer individual opinions on PlayStation games. You guys should all reread that MGS article, because the author's headline was pointing out that much of OUR community had said they didn't really care it was going offline.

The idea that not much has changed in 7 years is a straight up lie. You can focus on articles that piss you off, but never in PSU's history have the writers spent so much time going to events, engaging the community for opinion articles, and reaching deep into social media. I challenge you to go through our previews section and check out all the content from our writers that travel to London (thanks to our U.K. staff), San Francisco, LA, even here in DC where I live. We are beyond active trying to get YOU first-hand perspectives of the biggest games. Sure, you can go read IGN's previews or reviews, and you'll be just fine, but if you want something from YOUR community, from folks as passionate as you about PlayStation, and beyond incredibly-crazy dedicated to making PSU the place for PS fans... then this is your place.

The other issue of language... well, we are open to that debate. Cuguy and I talk all the time about this very topic, and if we can loosen word bans in comments and in the forums because I personally think it's dumb to ban specific words. That's just me, and I don't care one way or another. I am willing to make changes on this if it bothers enough of the community.

Are we trying to get hits? Of course! We do not want to alienate our loyal base, so we are more than willing to have these conversations. Here's the straight up truth -- what PSU was doing before was not working. We are experimenting and will continue to experiment until we find OUR groove. Personally, I want to be apart of a site that welcomes smart debate. We try very, very hard not to write crap like the 100 best boobs in video games, or just make up rumors. Here's the thing... other sites do that and it gives them crazy hits. For us to continue this, we have to compete with sites that stoop that low. This experiment is to give YOU a better site.

I am MORE than welcome to chat with any of PSU regulars. PM me and I'd gladly add you to Gchat. I chat with some of you on a regular basis already. Honestly, our goal is to push ourselves and offer the community something worth reading. If it doesn't work, we'll try something else. If that doesn't work, we'll continue working until we make this a success. But we will not go back to the "old" way--not even sure what that means--because that will essentially put us out of business.

Thanks for reading, thanks even more for your honest feedback, and always happy to chat.
    Last edited by adamdolge; 06-30-2012 at 23:26.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Good post adam, thanks. I think the articles have been good. I think this place has a good broad range when it comes to content. Reviews, rumors, previews, opinions, competitions, news etc. I think the caption event was interesting, and while it seems some people cringed, it brought a lot of people to the site. There seems to be a lot of people who only ever post on the main page, many names I never see crop up in the forum.

I want to see this place grow. I support what's been going on more or less and will get my head back into the WA do help contribute myself...

Elite Member
    I don't see too much of a problem with the articles. I guess it's more about the titles. Well, the caption contest was awful, but that ain't the writer's faults.

Tapatalking from my bed. Ya mutha says hi.
    Thanks to Kwesnoth for the sig!

TheCinemaJack Movie Reviews!

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    There seems to be a lot of people who only ever post on the main page, many names I never see crop up in the forum.
    A lot of them are just mindless trolls too because they know they're unlikely to get caught, whereas on the forum they'd be banned almost instantly.

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    A lot of them are just mindless trolls too because they know they're unlikely to get caught, whereas on the forum they'd be banned almost instantly.
    Yeah I notice that too. It actually used to be alot worse.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    Totally, but don't forget we are turning some of those new folks into members. Cuguy can give you guys better stats, but we are doing a pretty good job of retaining some of those visitors.

Again, guys, this is very much your site. We love what we do, and we are extremely enthusiastic about growing. We just can't go back to the boring old content we used to produce, but we are more than welcome to suggestions and ask that you continue to see how we grow and change through our experimentation phases.

Dedicated Member
    I have to say, get PSU is trying to make srides here and there, but I agree with OP on that Caption contest. That was a little ridiculous. The winners we're people who put captions in that immature and perverted of a manner? Where ALL the entrants THAT bad to have to settle for this? All those loser "winners" of that context shoulda just been "disqualified". From the beginning PSU should have said NO to immature dirty crap like that. Or how about next time just don't have a winner if you have to degrade yourself as a site to settle for Junior High level junk. Is this how you want to get more attention? That not embarrasing for me, but it should be for the people who run this site allowing trash like that.

And please don't try and reply with "oh we're just letting our users speak their mind". That's bull. I know u guys can't control who puts in, but thats really low. And you guys know it's low.
    Last edited by Versus; 07-02-2012 at 09:47.

Veteran
    That's one article, one post, one piece for you guys to simply ignore if it's that offensive to you. But, man, honestly, if a photo caption contest is that traumatic then I simply don't get what you guys expect or want. A lot of people took part in the contest, a lot of people laughed, a lot of people enjoyed the random break and chance to do something fun and stupid with their fellow PSU members. If you guys don't want to take part, then don't! Honestly, there is plenty of stuff on the homepage to enjoy outside of ONE silly photo contest. That's really all there is 'official' to say about. It's too bad some of you don't like it, but we aren't going to get rid of it since a lot more people liked it. I simply suggest reading another article if it annoys you all that much... just like not reading a forum thread if it doesn't seem interesting to you.

19. Likes F34R likes this post
    Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Quote Originally Posted by adamdolge View Post
    That's one article, one post, one piece for you guys to simply ignore if it's that offensive to you. But, man, honestly, if a photo caption contest is that traumatic then I simply don't get what you guys expect or want. A lot of people took part in the contest, a lot of people laughed, a lot of people enjoyed the random break and chance to do something fun and stupid with their fellow PSU members. If you guys don't want to take part, then don't! Honestly, there is plenty of stuff on the homepage to enjoy outside of ONE silly photo contest. That's really all there is 'official' to say about. It's too bad some of you don't like it, but we aren't going to get rid of it since a lot more people liked it. I simply suggest reading another article if it annoys you all that much... just like not reading a forum thread if it doesn't seem interesting to you.
    This is exactly my thought too... Rather than complain about the content that doesn't appeal to you, just pass it by. Seriously, not all content or forum posts are going to suit you all the time and it is completely unfair to bash the site for trying to appeal to a broader audience just cause you don't like it.

Like it or not, the contest drew in people, people that keep this site going just like all the other gaming sites out there. That doesn't mean our content guys are dropping their game, or lowering to a certain level, it just means we have diversified some of the way we do things.
    LMAO

Elite Sage
    There's an article part on here? (I joke I joke) This place has always been PS3Forums.com to me.

Sony think its fair for calling a site out for posting a few articles you dislike. Just don't read them

BBK. Tapatalking.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    That's the easiest thing to do... if you don't like it, just move along to something else. If the site, psu.com, is spoiled by a large amount of content someone doesn't like, then they can find another site that is better for their tastes. Period.

Dedicated Member
    You guys aren't telling me anything I didn't already know. I actually at first DID skip that caption contest. I actually skip MOST articles on here and just chat on the forums, cus I've been apart of them for so long. But when the OP linked them I thought I'd see what he was talking about and I found that I really agree with em. As a matter of fact, I just read the comments on that contest and alot of posters complained about it too.

It's not offensive or "traumatic" to anybody. It's just.... well... stupid. And TBH, it's really counterintuitive to yalls prestige as a site.

24. Likes Wrath likes this post
    Editor & Moderator
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX
    I completely agree with Adam and Cuguy on this one. I admit that at first glance at the caption contest, I was a bit surprised, but frankly, I realized I just needed to loosen up and have a good laugh. If you don't like something, just pass it on by. There are plenty of professionally written articles available for you to read on this site.

As Database Manager, I've been able to witness the kind of work these guys do. Let me tell you, it's outstanding. For a site whose content is provided mostly by volunteers, I was immensely surprised to see how dedicated all of the writers are. They're always having full-blown e-mail conversations, setting up meetings, discussing articles, etc. I've been the DM for a couple of months now and I'm still trying to catch up to the pace that these guys work. The fact that PSU has a volunteer content team whose dedication could rival that of paid writers is impressive and beyond admirable. So although not every single article they put on the front page will appeal to you, hell, some might bother you, you have to remember how hard they're working and that PSU is aiming for a large audience of people; the longstanding community members, the new ones, and all PlayStation lovers.

Edit: I can't believe some of the typos I've been making.
    Read my work on Medium, my blog, and connect with me on Twitter.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    I dont have any problems with the articles at all. Most of them are pretty good and the ones I dont care for I just skip. Overall I would have to say ya'll are doing a great job. I must have missed the caption contest though. lol

Ultimate Veteran
    I don't think anyone is saying that we shouldn't sit back and have a laugh. The winning entries for the caption contest were just a little lame. As for the article on Metal Gear Solid Online, it would have been better if it said something along the lines of "most people don't give a $#@!" as opposed to "no one gives a $#@!" because not everyone in the thread you picked the posts from shared the same opinion.

So while you retained some of those visitors, the majority of them won't bother coming back. And I don't think you guys want people signing up just to tell you to $#@! off every time you write a bad article.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 07-02-2012 at 21:18.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by adamdolge View Post
    Totally, but don't forget we are turning some of those new folks into members.
    Hopefully not the trolls. lol

Editor & Moderator
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksite View Post
    I don't think anyone is saying that we shouldn't sit back and have a laugh. The winning entries for the caption contest were just a little lame. As for the article on Metal Gear Solid Online, it would have been better if it said something along the lines of "most people don't give a $#@!" as opposed to "no one gives a $#@!" because not everyone in the thread you picked the posts from shared the same opinion.

So while you retained some of those visitors, the majority of them won't bother coming back. And I don't think you guys want people signing up just to tell you to $#@! off every time you write a bad article.
    I don't know all of the inner workings of journalism, but when it comes to writing an article title, you're allowed to make those kinds of generalizations, regardless of whether or not its an exaggeration. To title have titled the article "Metal Gear Online is No More, but most people don't give a $#@!" simply wouldn't have worked. It doesn't sound nearly as good as with the usage of "no one". I'd be surprised if anyone viewing the article actually took "no one" literally. It should be inferred that it means the majority of people are indifferent about it.

And honestly, a title like that gives more room for actual discussion. Die-hard MGO fans (do they exist?) would be prompted to join in the discussion to explain why that isn't true at all. That's the very point of an editorial altogether.

I hope I don't sound like I'm teaching you a lesson in journalism or being a condescending asshole, but I'm just trying to say that I think it's okay for generalization and exaggeration in headlines for the sake of a solid headline and a potential hook.
    Read my work on Medium, my blog, and connect with me on Twitter.

Thread Information