Latest PSU headlines:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    In terms of influence I don't deny how much they've shaped music history. I'm just talking about their music in and of itself. I don't think the quality of their music justifies being one of the greatest bands ever.
    Well, you're in a minority on that one.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    PR0d1gyV2
    Quote Originally Posted by Tutankhamun View Post
    Originally Posted by TRF
    In terms of influence I don't deny how much they've shaped music history. I'm just talking about their music in and of itself. I don't think the quality of their music justifies being one of the greatest bands ever.
    Well, you're in a minority on that one.
    Yeah, I wouldn't say a minority because there are alot of people that don't like their music, but I personally think they have great music!

Special thanks to zzKurozz for the Signature and Avatar!
    Prodigy - A young one, endowed with exceptional abilities.
    Currently Playing: MoH: Warfighter / Assassin's Creed 3 / GW2
    Waiting For: CoD: Black Ops 2 / Borderlands 2

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    the_mooninites
    Items ICO
    General genres i only like

Rock/Alt: NIN, The Doors, Radiohead ( King of Limbs ftw), The Postal Service, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Queens of the stone age, silversun pickups, the smashing pumpkins...

Metal: Arch enemy, as i lay dying, black Sabbath, disturbed, in flames, dethklok, lamb of God, static x...

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    bolderdash
    METAL \m/(-_-)\m/

Favorite is Devin Townsend. SYL days and Solo career.

Somebody get me a doctor, I ain't feelin' ill ...But I ain't feelin' this at all...

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    Tip of the ice berg for me but...

Rock fave genre. Band (original lineup) guns n roses.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by jj03; 07-03-2012 at 13:58.

Master Guru
    Items Legend of ZeldaInsomniac GamesKonamiNaughty DogNintendoMetal Gear SolidFinal Fantasy XI OnlineDark Souls CoverPlayStationDoomDemons Souls Cover
    pick one you turds. Mine is Metal. and my Band is Iron Maiden

Let's be honest: You sleep with anything that walks on two legs. Sometimes, you're not even that discriminating

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    Pheonix7
    Tool

Their next album, can't even imagine. Listened to 10,000 Days sooooooo much, it really is ridiculous. Can't blame me though, their music is just pure genius.

8. Likes RaY_210 , Ixion , SynYster505 wishes they had posted this first.
    Elite Member
    Items AppleMetallicaCoD: World at War
    Quote Originally Posted by RedDragon7 View Post
    Tool

Their next album, can't even imagine. Listened to 10,000 Days sooooooo much, it really is ridiculous. Can't blame me though, their music is just pure genius.
    Tool is amazing. I just saw them live for the first time a couple weeks ago. They put on such a great show. Very excited for a new album.

But my all time favorite metal band is Metallica.

10. Likes RaY_210 wishes they had posted this first.
    Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    RaYU84
    Items Dr. DreDragon Ball Z3DSPS3 SlimNintendo 64TOOLPink FloydAC/DCFuturamaMetallica
    Listen to all types of music, but love metal. Favorite without a doubt is Metallica
    Thanks to THUGGEDOUT for the sig, The Black Wolf for the av.
    Life's too short to be sober! Drunk with power!

12. Likes SynYster505 wishes they had posted this first.
    Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    I don't know if this is considered a genre, but it has no interests. It's called "binaural audio" and it's mean to be listened to right before you fall asleep/as you fall asleep. It's meant to help with sleeping problems, help you relax and the most fun part, help induce a lucid dream.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Quote Originally Posted by RedDragon7 View Post
    Tool

Same here. Tool is the perfect band. All four members are very unique and great at what they do. Undertow is a very solid album, but it's their latest three albums that I listen to all the time, since they're more progressive. They're supposed to be recording the new album right now, so it should be out by the fall.

Basically, Progressive Metal is probably my favorite genre. Tool, Opeth, Meshuggah, Mastodon, Deftones, etc.

But I listen to a lot of different music. Here are some of the genres and a couple of my favorites from each. I still haven't delved too deeply into these genres yet though, as you can see:

Progressive Metal (Tool, Mastodon, Opeth, Meshuggah, Dream Theater, Ne Obliviscaris)
    Heavy Metal (Black Sabbath, Ghost, Iron Maiden)
    Alternative Metal (Deftones, Faith No More, Nine Inch Nails, Rage Against The Machine)
    Thrash Metal (Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Testament)
    Black Metal (Estatic Fear, Immortal, Summoning)
    Progressive Rock (Genesis, Pink Floyd, Rush)
    Alternative Rock (Coheed & Cambria, Smashing Pumpkins, Jane's Addiction, A Perfect Circle, Radiohead)
    Melodic Death Metal (In Flames, Children of Bodom, Wintersun, Dethklok, Amon Amarth)
    Metalcore (Unearth, Killswitch Engage)
    Pop Punk (Green Day, The Offspring)
    Electronic (Neon Indian, Crystal Method, Moby)
    Classic Rock (David Bowie, Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, Peter Gabriel)
    Hip Hop (Nas, Kid Cudi, Skyzoo, Gorillaz)
    Grunge (Alice In Chains, Nirvana, Mad Season)
    Indie Rock (MGMT, Broken Bells, Ratatat)

15. Likes SynYster505 wishes they had posted this first.
    Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    No love for Pearl Jam?

17. Likes RaY_210 wishes they had posted this first.
    Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    RaYU84
    Items Dr. DreDragon Ball Z3DSPS3 SlimNintendo 64TOOLPink FloydAC/DCFuturamaMetallica
    Quote Originally Posted by DreDayDetox View Post
    No love for Pearl Jam?
    They're not among my all time favorites, but they are great.
    Thanks to THUGGEDOUT for the sig, The Black Wolf for the av.
    Life's too short to be sober! Drunk with power!

Dedicated Member
    Memphis, TN (Home of STAX records, Sun Studios, Beale Street, Graceland, Hi Records, Ardent Studios
    Another vote for The Beatles. I like a lot of styles and bands, but these guys are my favorites.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Quote Originally Posted by DreDayDetox View Post
    No love for Pearl Jam?
    Their first album is great from what I remember, but I gravitate towards Alice In Chains because they're the heaviest one out of the Big Four.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I don't get what is so great about The Beatles. I mean they're pretty good, I'll give them that, and they've made great music, but a lot of it is just feel-good music that's pretty standard. Also, for all their good songs, they've done a tremendous amount of garbage. They're fine musicians, but legendary? Some of the greatest? I think not. Not even close.
    A lot of people don't like The Beatles' first five albums or so. As you said, it's mainly just poppy "feel good" music. But starting with Rubber Soul and especially Revolver (my favorite Beatles album), their music becomes a lot more mature, psychedelic, intricate, and meaningful. However, all three phases of The Beatles were extremely influential. Those early albums helped paved the way for rock music in general, then Revolver was really the first experimental rock album ever released, so that was obviously extremely important. And lastly, there's the political phase, which goes without explaining.

All in all though, The Beatles were just great songwriters, which is why their music is so timeless. It's the same with The Beach Boys' legendary album Pet Sounds, which was just pop rock, but pop rock written perfectly. Anywho, I think you should listen to Revolver and if you like what you hear, then listen to the proceeding albums.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    PR0d1gyV2
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    Their first album is great from what I remember, but I gravitate towards Alice In Chains because they're the heaviest one out of the Big Four.

A lot of people don't like The Beatles' first five albums or so. As you said, it's mainly just poppy "feel good" music. But starting with Rubber Soul and especially Revolver (my favorite Beatles album), their music becomes a lot more mature, psychedelic, intricate, and meaningful. However, all three phases of The Beatles were extremely influential. Those early albums helped paved the way for rock music in general, then Revolver was really the first experimental rock album ever released, so that was obviously extremely important. And lastly, there's the political phase, which goes without explaining.

All in all though, The Beatles were just great songwriters, which is why their music is so timeless. It's the same with The Beach Boys' legendary album Pet Sounds, which was just pop rock, but pop rock written perfectly. Anywho, I think you should listen to Revolver and if you like what you hear, then listen to the proceeding albums.
    Yup, the Beatles was mainly "Big" in their time and maybe a few or more years after that, they're kind of like Michael Jackson, there are the handful of people who like his music, but there are also the people who do not... Its mainly just what kind of music you like, no real true answer, just opinions.

Dedicated Member
    Memphis, TN (Home of STAX records, Sun Studios, Beale Street, Graceland, Hi Records, Ardent Studios
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilJ0k3r View Post
    Yup, the Beatles was mainly "Big" in their time and maybe a few or more years after that, they're kind of like Michael Jackson, there are the handful of people who like his music, but there are also the people who do not...
    Completely and totally wrong.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/n...=14gcgtelkrva4

"11.4 million Beatles 1 albums sold: In the first decade of the 21st century, the hits compilation Beatles 1 sold 11.4 million copies, more than any other album and one of only four to sell more than 10 million copies. In 2000, it entered the chart with 595,000 copies, sold 662,000 the next week and peaked with 1.3 million during Christmas week, spending a total of eight weeks at No. 1 in Billboard. The Beatles trailed only Eminem for total album sales for the decade, selling 30 million to his 32.2 million."

"2.3 million remastered catalog sales: In 2009, the release of The Beatles’ remastered catalog broke chart records worldwide."

Whether everyone likes them or not is a different issue, but they are still very popular. There is a reason Apple made such a huge deal about getting them on iTunes and it was not because they were popular in the 60s. No one is making this kind of promotion for Herman's Hermits.

The first week the Beatles hit iTunes they sold 2 million songs and 450,000 albums.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    PR0d1gyV2
    Quote Originally Posted by uofmtiger View Post
    Completely and totally wrong.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/n...=14gcgtelkrva4

"11.4 million Beatles 1 albums sold: In the first decade of the 21st century, the hits compilation Beatles 1 sold 11.4 million copies, more than any other album and one of only four to sell more than 10 million copies. In 2000, it entered the chart with 595,000 copies, sold 662,000 the next week and peaked with 1.3 million during Christmas week, spending a total of eight weeks at No. 1 in Billboard. The Beatles trailed only Eminem for total album sales for the decade, selling 30 million to his 32.2 million."

"2.3 million remastered catalog sales: In 2009, the release of The Beatlesí remastered catalog broke chart records worldwide."

Whether everyone likes them or not is a different issue, but they are still very popular. There is a reason Apple made such a huge deal about getting them on iTunes and it was not because they were popular in the 60s. No one is making this kind of promotion for Herman's Hermits.

The first week the Beatles hit iTunes they sold 2 million songs and 450,000 albums.
    Its not wrong, its an opinion matter, people like the beatles, and people don't! It totally just depends on the type of music you like and listen to! I don't see how that is wrong!? Lol

Super Elite
    Do I live in a nice house with my GF or in my Moms basement? You decide!!
    I mainly listen to rap and then underground to be specific. Some artists which I listen alot to:

Necro
    Insane Clown Posse
    Twiztid
    Boondox
    Kottonmouth Kings
    Blaze
    ABK
    Psychopathic Rydas
    Ill Bill
    Mr. Hyde
    Sean Strange
    Grave Plott
    Killa C

I listen to these a little less than the above but still got a load of songs from the following:

Immortal Technique
    DGAF
    Q-Unique
    Tech N9ne
    Jedi Mind Tricks
    Klee Magor
    Esham
    Goretex
    Lord Lhus
    Liquid Assassin
    Three 6 Mafia

And I listen to the beats of imo the best beatmakers today: Snowgoons

Dedicated Member
    Its not wrong, its an opinion matter, people like the beatles, and people don't! It totally just depends on the type of music you like and listen to! I don't see how that is wrong!? Lol
    Then you have no idea how to comprehend what you wrote:

""Big" in their time and maybe a few or more years after that"

The record sales in the last decade prove this to be incorrect. You could have the opinion that the world was flat, you would just be wrong. Much like you were with your statement.

Like I said, if you don't like them, I have no issue with you saying so. I just have a problem with your (incorrect) point that they are no longer popular.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    PR0d1gyV2
    Quote Originally Posted by uofmtiger View Post
    Then you have no idea how to comprehend what you wrote:

""Big" in their time and maybe a few or more years after that"

The record sales in the last decade prove this to be incorrect. You could have the opinion that the world was flat, you would just be wrong. Much like you were with your statement.

Like I said, if you don't like them, I have no issue with you saying so. I just have a problem with your (incorrect) point that they are no longer popular.
    Its not an incorrect statement, more people liked them when they were in the "Hit" time, its common sense, that an artist is going to be big when they first start, and die down with popularity as they get older, the only reason their sales are still soo high is because of the people who like them buy there records and albums still, and there is that few select groups that still buy them also, they were bigger way back when... Just like Michael Jackson, he isn't as big as he used to be, but there is still that few select groups of people who still like him, and still buy his records, and albums.

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    Azrael666
    Items DoomPlayStationDiablo IIIBlizzardDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    Im blasting Death/Black Metal 99% of the time.

....so many bands to choose from blablabla:
    Best DM band: Grave
    Best BM band: Marduk (Panzerdivision times with Legion)

Favorite band atm Helrunar.

Guilty pleasure

Edit says: The beatles are indeed overrated, just like the stones and AC/DC if you ask me
    Last edited by Beast of Bourbon; 07-10-2012 at 12:10.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    PR0d1gyV2
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast of Bourbon View Post
    Im blasting Death/Black Metal 99% of the time.

....so many bands to choose from blablabla:
    Best DM band: Grave
    Best BM band: Marduk (Panzerdivision times with Legion)

Favorite band atm Helrunar.

Guilty pleasure

Edit says: The beatles are indeed overrated, just like the stones and AC/DC if you ask me
    Lol I loved the spoiler! Cracked me up, but thats your opinion! Totally not gonna debate with you on if they are overrated or not.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    the only reason their sales are still soo high is because of the people who like them buy there records and albums still, and there is that few select groups that still buy them also, they were bigger way back when... Just like Michael Jackson, he isn't as big as he used to be, but there is still that few select groups of people who still like him, and still buy his records, and albums.
    I wouldn't say that either. I know a lot of people my age who are into the Beatles. Hell, there was a Beatles: Rock Band game.
    Last edited by Ixion; 07-13-2012 at 14:49.

Master Poster
    Items LiverpoolModern Warfare 3
    Havent got a favourite genre but if I had to choose it would be rock I know there are lots of sub genres of rock but My favourite band would be Metallica.

"Raise your weapon, one word and it's over"

31. Likes EvilJ0k3r, RaY_210 wishes they had posted this first.

Thread Information