Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Master Guru
    Items User name style

EA is "going to be a 100% digital company, period" says Gibeau

I don't see them becoming 100%, unless they want to lose some of their market. Then again the people without a high speed connection probably don't play a lot of games

EA is "going to be a 100% digital company, period" says Gibeau

By James Brightman

Mon 02 Jul 2012 2:59pm GMT
    / 10:59am EDT / 7:59am PDT
    OnlinePublishing
    EA's Labels president also tells us that NPD's monthly reports are "totally irrelevant"
    Electronic Arts

www.ea.com

Electronic Arts is one of the publishers in this industry that is at the forefront of the digital transition. The company recently had its first year of digital revenues over one billion dollars, and now EA is expecting that number to jump closer to $2 billion (guidance of $1.7 billion in digital revenues this year). For EA Labels boss Frank Gibeau, the business is clearly at a tipping point. He told GamesIndustry International recently that EA clearly will be 100 percent digital in the near future.

We asked Gibeau point blank when the company will have most, if not all, revenues coming from digital products. It's not as far off as one might think.

"It's in the near future. It's coming. We have a clear line of sight on it and we're excited about it. Retail is a great channel for us. We have great relationships with our partners there. At the same time, the ultimate relationship is the connection that we have with the gamer. If the gamer wants to get the game through a digital download and that's the best way for them to get it, that's what we're going to do. It has a lot of enhancements for our business. It allows us to keep more that we make. It allows us to do some really interesting things from a service level standpoint; we can be a lot more personalized with what we're doing," Gibeau enthused.
    "We're going to be a 100% digital company, period. It's going to be there some day. It's inevitable"
    Frank Gibeau

EA isn't about to abandon retail and its valuable retail partners tomorrow, though.
    "But if customers want to buy a game at retail, they can do that too. We'll continue to deliver games in whatever media formats make sense and as one ebbs and one starts to flow, we'll go in that direction," Gibeau continued. "For us, the fastest growing segment of our business is clearly digital and clearly digital services and ultimately Electronic Arts, at some point in the future - much like your question about streaming and cloud - we're going to be a 100% digital company, period. It's going to be there some day. It's inevitable."
    The fact that more and more of the industry is going digital opens up new avenues for EA and other gaming companies.

"For us, we're focused in on the fact that the gaming market overall is broad. You have more people playing games now than ever before in the history of the industry. There are more markets available to us - Asia, Brazil, Russia - a bunch of emerging markets that are legitimate and growing fast. We have more devices that we can publish across now. We used to publish across three platforms; now we're publishing across 14 or 15," Gibeau said.
    "[NPD] an irrelevant measure on the industry. It's totally irrelevant. We don't even really look at it internally anymore"
    Frank Gibeau

"The advent of IP televisions and streaming - we'll be prepared for it. That'll be a way that we'll generate content and deliver it to customers in a high quality way. The next generation of hardware is going to come out. It's difficult to speculate what generation next would be after that, but there are opportunities in cloud and streaming that are very interesting to us and we have relationships with Gaikai and other companies where we've investigated a lot of that stuff and we clearly see our IP and our capabilities on the digital services front translating over very easily there."

Gibeau believes that some industry observers and investors are not grasping the complete picture. And part of the reason for that is the constant decline we've seen through NPD's monthly retail reports. Gibeau went so far as to say that EA all but ignores NPD's data now.

"I think one of the problems with this industry right now is that people tend to look at it like they're looking at an elephant through a straw. They only see a little parts of it and they're not looking at the total picture, right? Between Facebook, social, mobile, free to play on PC, Asia, consoles... it's a vibrant, growing, huge market. An occasional bad report from NPD, which measures a sliver of what's actually happening in gaming gives people an erroneous impression," he stressed.

Gibeau continued, "My point is it's an irrelevant measure on the industry. It's totally irrelevant. We don't even really look at it internally anymore. We're more focused on our services and how we're connected with consumers. The number of Nucleus accounts we're growing, the amount of engagement time that we have, the amount of services that we're running - those are more important metrics for us than unit sales according to NPD and North America. So your original question is about what comes next. It's growing. It's booming. It's big. Things are good. If cloud and streaming come on line at scale, we'll be in the position to do it and we're excited about it."
    Source

Huge thanks to my awesome friend Finalreaper for the sig!!

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Won't be the only ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDug13
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

PSU Technical Advisor
    Consumers better be getting some kind of benefit then. Reduced prices or something.

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    $#@! that. Then I won't buy any of their games anymore. Digital sucks, physical media is way better.

5. Likes THUGGEDOUT , Ghost , avecha, Lethal likes this post
    Elite Sage
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DS
    Well, mark my words: the day gaming goes digital is the day gaming dies. No way I'm going to support a digital only infrastructure where all the power is held by publishers and I CANNOT own the game PHYSICALLY and do with it as I PLEASE, be that SELL, LEND, BURN or RETURN.

EA, $#@! YOU.
    |My Playfire|My Deviantart|
    - SIG BY MY SISTER-

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    The only thing that should be digital is PR0N

8. Likes Zswordsman likes this post
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by Shin Asura View Post
    I don't see them becoming 100%, unless they want to lose some of their market. Then again the people without a high speed connection probably don't play a lot of games

Source
    That isn't close to being true. I live in a rural area and tons of people out here game. It's just the damn internet providers don't want to provide internet. Until this happens it would be moronic to go completely digital. Taking money out of your own pocket. I have At&t Wireless Broadband but in no way do I get the perks of regular broadband services. That includes the 5 GB limit i get a month.

As for EA, $#@! off. I love how a company so hated does and says things that just make them even more hated. Everytime EA makes a statement Kottick actually smiles.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

10. Likes Bigdoggy likes this post
    Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    Upgrade our infrastructure to support this 100% DD, not just EA but everyone who will be changing their distribution to full digital PERIOD! then we'll talk.

12. Likes THUGGEDOUT , PS4freak likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Thy put too much into Origin for it to fail, its obvious it was going to happen digital is the future.
    USA government needs to do something so USA can not slow down progress all I see is Amercians complaining about internet speeds and limits in this thread.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by D3seeker View Post
    Upgrade our infrastructure to support this 100% DD, not just EA but everyone who will be changing their distribution to full digital PERIOD! then we'll talk.
    Agreed. As for now EA stands to lose alot of their market if they go this route.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Abdou023
    Quote Originally Posted by Shin Asura View Post
    Then again the people without a high speed connection probably don't play a lot of games
    Completely Wrong.

PSN: Abdou023
    Currently Playing: GTA 5

Superior Member
    I hope this DD model blows up in EA's face and they fail.

I would only embrace this if it meant that games would in turn be much, much cheaper.

17. Likes John25 likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Zombie View Post
    I hope this DD model blows up in EA's face and they fail. I would only embrace this if it meant that games would in turn be much, much cheaper.
    Yep there would definitely need to be a good discount in price.

Master Guru
    Have fun EA. You won't be getting a dollar from me.

I will never support full digital distribution. Once full DD hits, i'll play at a friend's house or go without. What a flawed idea.

20. Likes Ghost , Lebowski likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    Console gaming = physical distribution.
    PC gaming = digital distribution.

If you want to change this, I'll stop playing video games.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

22. Likes snooper71, Fenix likes this post
    Superior Member
    the day games go digital only is the day i stop being a gamer.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by TDbank24 View Post
    Have fun EA. You won't be getting a dollar from me.

I will never support full digital distribution. Once full DD hits, i'll play at a friend's house or go without. What a flawed idea.
    You too, huh?

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    I buy a lot of EA games, looks like that'll stop.
    I only get 80 GB bandwidth, and I dont like spending more then $10 on digital games (there is exceptions, such as walking dead and I'm waiting for Two Worlds II GOTY to be $25) but yeah

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksite View Post
    Console gaming = physical distribution.
    PC gaming = digital distribution.

If you want to change this, I'll stop playing video games.
    So true.

Sig&Av by Kuro

PS4 Preorders:
    FarCry4
    DragonAge3DWitcher3Order1886Uncharted4Batman:AKDyingLight

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    the_mooninites
    Items ICO
    I'm fine with them failing and showing all the other publishers that DD only at this point isn't a good idea

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

Veteran
    EA is about to get a real good dose of reality if they think they are going to shift to 100% digital right now.

They will lose so much money so quickly.

Friendship is Carrots
    EA will lose some of their market by doing this, but at the same time they're securing themselves in the changing digital world. If only they would change their business model as well to something better.

Also, people seem to forget that the PC platform is almost entirely digital now.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    EA are not going to start implenting digital only this year or next year or the year after, it may not happen for at 5 or more years which by then you all will have better internets and some will have fibre optic to the house and it will be dirt cheap and with no caps limits.
    Last edited by keefy; 07-03-2012 at 01:29.

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    If DD so far has taught ME anything its that digital is a no go personally. I know a lot of people like the convenience but pricing is always HORRIBLE. New release games, Spec Ops: The Line on PSN is AU$99.95, in a local JB HI FI its $69... You can't compete constant retail sales and borrowing games of friends and buying second hand games for next to nothing. EA, if you want to compete, you have to get very VERY competitive and at least MATCH what the game costs at retail. *This might just be an Australian problem I'm not sure

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    GreatnessRD
    Items User name style
    As I've stated before, once all these companies go digital-only that will be my last time as a gamer. We're currently in a gaming hell as it is. then to give them even more power with Digital-only? Haha, child please.

$Greatness$ Awaits™

Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    It's going to be inevitable. Be it next generation or the one after, Digital Only gaming will become a reality for home consoles. One thing that I ask is for games to be a lot more cheaper compared to retails and have discount sales from time to time(Kind of like what Steam is doing).

Thread Information