Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Abdou023

Sony has been developing PlayStation 4 since August 2010

CV of SCEA's ex-R&D director suggests work on the "next generation PlayStation" began almost two years ago.

Sony has been developing the "next generation PlayStation" since August 2010, according to the online CV of an ex-SCEA R&D director.The LinkedIn profile of Attila Vass, who served as director of research and development at Sony Computer Entertainment America between May 1998 and April 2012, claims that he began working on the graphics library and security on the "Next Generation PlayStation" in August 2010.Vass lists his work on PlayStation Vita separately, suggesting that the 'next generation PlayStation' listing may be referring to PlayStation 4."In 1998 I started as the first engineer in the Playstation US R&D," reads Vass' profile."I worked on graphics ( COLLADA, PSGL ) and a lot of network related technologies ( advertising, telemetry, PVRs ) for the Playstation2-x, PSP, Vita and Next Generation platforms. Platform security was occupying most of my time at the last years... "SCEA boss Jack Tretton recently alluded to the firm's next-generation plans, saying that "we've never been first, we've never been cheapest, it's about being the best."If you can build a better machine and it's going to come out a little bit later," he continued, "that's better than rushing something to market that's going to run out of gas for the long term."SCE UK declined to comment when contacted by VideoGamer.
    Click here for more details about the guy's work at SONY
    Sounds about right.
    Last edited by Abdou23; 07-02-2012 at 19:21.

PSN: Abdou023
    Currently Playing: GTA 5

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I just hope we're not looking at another 600 dollar console. If so then I'll just roll with the PS3 and the Vita until the price drops.

Elite Member

Items PlayStationSteam
    Sounds about right. I can tell you for certain that some devs are already screwing around with development kits.
    (IE a certain studio in San Diego that makes a certain baseball game...)

Counting Mod
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    I just hope we're not looking at another 600 dollar console. If so then I'll just roll with the PS3 and the Vita until the price drops.
    Yeah I'm right there with you. I paid 500 for my first ps3 and I just about couldn't bring myself to pay that much. No way I'm paying over 450 on launch day. I know that is still steep but I realistically think that it will be about 400-450 at launch.

Currently Playing: ​Skyrim, Far Cry 4
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ The Order:1886

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by ps3freak18 View Post
    Yeah I'm right there with you. I paid 500 for my first ps3 and I just about couldn't bring myself to pay that much. No way I'm paying over 450 on launch day. I know that is still steep but I realistically think that it will be about 400-450 at launch.
    Yeah I paid 600 at launch but I had more money than sense back then. lol

Superior Member

If the console has something that makes it worth it I will pay for it. The PS3 had a great blu-ray player along with being an awesome gaming device so to me $600 was a steal! It brought my 60" 1080p plasma to life back when it came out. Between games and movies I was in heaven. That said I don't know what kind of tech the PS4 could offer me that I would just have to have it day 1 for $600.

But who knows....with 3 PS3s a PSP I don't use since I got a Vita and over 90 games now I could always trade stuff in for it. Guess if they launch it right who knows....but a sub $500 console is sold day 1 for me.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    FonFahbre
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    They should take their time to make sure the hardware doesn't experience any failures. Good to see the console being developed(Well, I just wanted some confirmation). Now we wait to see just how powerful it's going to be.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    I'm with davin, "ahhh, I'll buy it at a high price!" if the value is there and it's packed with tech that appeals to me as a gamer. Jack mentioned in an interview that Sony have "never been first and never been cheapest.", so I suspect it wont be a €300 console. Also, Sony have proven time and again that they are extremely forward thinking and I imagine they will develop another console that, like the PS3, will still have awesome fighting legs over 5 years into it's life cycle. However, I have a feeling that I'll be chilling with ma PS3/Vita for quite some time, if games like Diablo 3 and Guild Wars 2 come to console, so the initial price isn't such a concern to me...unless the launch line up is worthy.

Ultimate Veteran
    Iam sure sony has benn working on the ps4 this long

Selected Members Council
    It would certainly give them enough time to showcase launch titles at next year's E3, assuming that's when they decide to unveil the next-gen console.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    Terminator101
    The only reason I bought one at launch was because my PS2 recently stopped reading discs properly, and I saw no need to buy a new one when PS3 had full bc back then. If my PS2 had been fine, I would have definitely waited a bit.
    Almost everyone will say: buy console that has games that you want, and those who say otherwise are ignorant.

Playstation Move for the win!

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    Lovely. And I will be there day 1 this time, no matter the cost.

Veteran
    It will still be expensive. But I doubt it will be THAT expensive.

Even though they shot themselves in the foot with a $600 launch, Sony is still going to shove in as much tech as they can like they usually do. They have no doubt taken the disappointment of 2006-2007 seriously, meaning they will be more mindful of the price point, but they are still going to have a super-advanced gaming system and they will still have to take compromises away from affordability due to high production costs. I just don't see any reason for them completely changing their business strategy in that respect.

So...while I'm not expecting USD$600 again, I'm not expecting USD$400, either. Not a whole lot of wiggle room, but I bet we'll see a launch price of somewhere inbetween for their base model (if they co-release two models).
    Last edited by Bio; 07-04-2012 at 01:21.

Quote Originally Posted by Bio
    Yep, NGP will retail at $300. We all know it's going to happen.

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Yeah I paid 600 at launch but I had more money than sense back then. lol
    You only live once, when you have money I say have fun and spend it, when you dont manage and save.
    Now the PS3 launched here for $1000 I'd probably go as high as $800.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    You only live once, when you have money I say have fun and spend it, when you dont manage and save. Now the PS3 launched here for $1000 I'd probably go as high as $800.
    Yeah thats true. I dont regret it at all actually. But I'm having to watch my dollars a little closer these days. But I guess I can always trade some stuff in.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    IIRC, Sony said they chose a price and built the Vita tech according to this price budget. They also had 1st and 3rd party input on the device as it was in development. If Sony repeat these two steps for PS4, it's gonna be a hit.

This will be intresting...very intresting indeed.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    ^^ 20% of mandatory posts before thread creation.

19. Likes DarkVincent07 likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    IIRC, Sony said they chose a price and built the Vita tech according to this price budget. They also had 1st and 3rd party input on the device as it was in development. If Sony repeat these two steps for PS4, it's gonna be a hit.
    I think PS4 is going to be awesome.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    I think PS4 is going to be awesome.
    I think so too. Things are looking ever brighter for Sony. While they have made many mistakes, I think they have learned all the lessons. I think PS4 will be tech savvy like the Vita while being affordable at the same time. The network will build upon Vita's community focus, and they will probably offer all of their previous content from the other 3 gens via the gaikai infrastructure. I can't wait to see how they apply the cloud business, and I also can't wait until all of SEN is under one account and all devices. Something big is brewing over there for sure. It makes me glad that Sony is such a big publishing brand across many mediums.

All that time will make it all the better of a system.
    I can't wait to see more hints and specs about the Sony PS4.

Thread Information