Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2
    PSU Technical Advisor
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    To be real with you Wrath, half the stuff in Quantum physics is so bizarre that its difficult if not impossible to imagine.

I'll let Feynman along with Morgan Freeman & Friends explain it:

Love this song.

2. Likes Fijiandoce, Wrath likes this post
    Finally You Are Free
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrath View Post
    And how can one imagine the concept of "nothing"?
    I assume the same way one considers the concept of infinity and impossibility.

4. Likes DeRaddyoMoFo likes this post
    Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrath View Post
    And how can one imagine the concept of "nothing"?
    How can one imagine the concept of an omnipotent omniscient humanoid figure that has no origin unto itself but created an entire reality with the flick of wrist?

And to your earlier post, you are right in that there really is no argument against a round earth nor is there one against gravity which is why they were elevated from the realm of hypotheses into the realm of theories. The word theory when it pertains to science has a different definition from the word used in everyday vernacular. It becomes a theory when it becomes widely accepted as reality. Hence we know how to blow up entire cities with it yet it is still just an atomic theory.

PS3 Trophies
    You can do a hundred things right, but it takes only one mistake to destroy everything.

6. Likes Svetlana, Cyklops likes this post
    Finally You Are Free
    To clarify, a scientific theory isn't named so because it's widely accepted as fact; this isn't a specific or necessary trait. What is required is that it has legitimate grounds of claim and holds substantial evidence to it being possibly correct. The theory that the Moon was once part of the Earth, which had its mass knocked away when Theia collided with it 4.5 billion years ago, has measured evidence of this happening: The Earth's 23.5 degree tilt and that fact that the Earth's crust and the Moon's surface share near-identical amounts of elements and compounds, as well as the same types. However, it's not widely accepted that this was actually what happens. (though it one day could be)

And something everyone should keep in mind is that 'truth' and 'facts' are two very different things. Truth is what the universe, or 'reality', actually is. Facts are interpreted metaphors that we process and assign using the two pounds of water we hold within our skulls. In science, theory and facts are nearly reversed. A fact on its own is almost meaningless; it's only a deduction of the world through observation and testing. In order for a fact to mean something you need to apply it under the umbrella of a scientific theory, where it can be of use in explaining the world around us.

8. Likes Fijiandoce likes this post
    Super Elite
    For people who don't understand the Higgs Boson, this is just a short explanation a user in Reddit posted up:

Yes.
    Right now we know that mass and energy flip flop between those states in certain conditions. We know that we can take certain types of mass and "easily" convert it into energy. (See nukes). We also know that at some point in time somewhere in the universe, energy turns into matter.
    What we don't know is HOW energy goes to matter. Basically after the big bang we just had energy. A $#@! ton of energy. How did this energy turn into matter? Enter the higgs boson.
    It would help explain how matter is created from energy. Its a starting point in a chain of events we suspect create matter.
    Basically, this particle helps us understand the mechanism of how energy turns to mass. Just imagine the future applications! Turning pure energy you create, into any matter you want! Though that kind of technology borders science-fiction as of today, but when the first transistors were produced in the mind-20th century, who would have thought we would have computers in every household in less than 100 years? Technology progresses at an exponential rate nowadays, and only with major breakthroughs in science such as this, we can produce the technology. Like I mentioned earlier, this is such an exciting time to be part of the scientific society!

Next stop for the LHC and the CERN: Prove that this new boson is the Higgs Boson, and then off they go to find the Graviton!

For people who still don't understand the Higgs Boson, here's a little visual representation of it:

Peter Higgs deserves a Nobel Physics Prize more than any other person now. Hope he gets it! =D
    Last edited by Cyklops; 07-05-2012 at 12:35.

10. Likes DeRaddyoMoFo likes this post
    Finally You Are Free
    To be fair, the confirmation of the higgs boson, while important in science as it completes the scientific model, actually provides little to no real benefit to mankind overall. The reason is simply due to most scientists working in the appropriate fields having already assumed its existence and worked from that, so really nothing substantial has changed. You're right, though, in saying that this may not be the case in the future.

Edit: I thought the graviton was a split subatomic particle that was a result of the higgs boson being its own antiparticle? Due to its propagation and bending of spacetime, this is why mass directly affects gravitational pull. What the hell.
    Last edited by Nerevar; 07-05-2012 at 13:32.

12. Likes Fijiandoce likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Exciting times to be alive!!!

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Dave
    Sheldon can't even sleep right now.

Elite Sage
    Items AC/DCRolling StonesAtari 2600GTA CJBattlefield 3Final Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIINESSNESEvertonUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Sheldon can't even sleep right now.
    wow talk about a Blast from the past Welcome back Dave!!!!

Super Elite
    Too much work being put into this crap, not enough research into my flying car and medication that makes you fitter by mass gaming!
    if I am in the PS3 or 360 section I will NOT post about the competitor just to please people, if you want to know what I think about the competitor link me to a thread in the appropriate section

Elite Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Minnzy View Post
    Too much work being put into this crap, not enough research into my flying car and medication that makes you fitter by mass gaming!
    I present to you, the ugliest yet most capable personal transport vehicle in existence, the Terrafugia Transition.
    I once ate a dirty sock...don't tell anyone.
    World domination has taken a momentary setback...talk amongst yourselves in the meantime.
    UK>America. its just true

young rich and tasteless
    Items ChelseaPS3 Fat
    Quote Originally Posted by Xelios View Post
    I present to you, the ugliest yet most capable personal transport vehicle in existence, the Terrafugia Transition.
    I see your terrafugia transition and raise you a Moller sky-car
    "Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life"

Quote Originally Posted by dc89 View Post
    If this makes time travel possible I'll go forward in time voluntarily to get my hands on CoD34 and Final Fantasy Versus XIII. They come out in the same year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seahawkk View Post
    I dont think i could take a dick, 1. im not gay and 2 one time i stuck my finger in my butt to see how it felt and i wasn't very pleased with the experience

Elite Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrelbo1 View Post
    I see your terrafugia transition and raise you a Moller sky-car
    The sky car has been around for a while, but I don't think it achieved road-legal status. The Terrafugia has. Unless I'm wrong, which is generally rare.
    World domination has taken a momentary setback...talk amongst yourselves in the meantime.

young rich and tasteless
    Items ChelseaPS3 Fat
    yeah but mine looks better
    "Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life"

Quote Originally Posted by dc89 View Post
    If this makes time travel possible I'll go forward in time voluntarily to get my hands on CoD34 and Final Fantasy Versus XIII. They come out in the same year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seahawkk View Post
    I dont think i could take a dick, 1. im not gay and 2 one time i stuck my finger in my butt to see how it felt and i wasn't very pleased with the experience

Elite Sage
    Yeah well, atleast I can park mine on the street!

Thread Information