Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Forum Sage

CERN Update: New Boson Observed with 4.9 Sigma Accuracy!

Guardian Live Blog of the conference here:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/bl...ative#block-25
    9.44am: Rolf Heuer, Director General of CERN, offers this verdict:
    As a layman I would say: I think we have it. You agree?

Highly likey it is the Higgs-Boson, great achievement for the staff at CERN. Really happy Peter Higgs who is now 83 has lived to see this moment as well. On with the Standard Model then, it seems.

2. Likes Cyklops, Mael Duin likes this post
    Home Theater Guru
    Items Dark SoulsDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    Okay...

And that helps us how exactly?

Administrator
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    professor Hawking just lost $100

hopefully its not another error like the last time....

now, the hard part. Gravity should be a walk in the park.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Forum Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath View Post
    Okay...

And that helps us how exactly?
    Would confirm the 50 year theory of Peter Higgs on how particles have mass and how they interact with space. It helps confirm another part of our understanding of the Standard Model of Physics. It helps us understand the fundamental forces present 1 billionth of a second after the big bang.

Home Theater Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by smiggy View Post
    Would confirm the 50 year theory of Peter Higgs on how particles have mass and how they interact with space. It helps confirm another part of our understanding of the Standard Model of Physics. It helps us understand the fundamental forces present 1 billionth of a second after the big bang.
    The big bang still happens to be a theory and a theory only. No matter how hard you science guys try to explain the origin of the universe, you won't be able to. Ever.

Sorry, this just needed to be said.

Back on topic then.

7. Likes F34R likes this post
    Administrator
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    The big bang still happens to be a theory and a theory only. No matter how hard you science guys try to explain the origin of the universe, you won't be able to. Ever.

Back on topic then.
    atoms are a theory as well..... yet these are proven and accepted.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Forum Sage

Back on topic then.
    First of all, I don't think theory means what you think it means. This is a scientific theory.
    A scientific theory is "a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world, based on a body of facts that have been repeatedly confirmed through observationand experiment."
    Facts. This is not nonsense someone has pulled out of the air. We observe facts then come up with logical explanations for them. This is scientific theory.

Second his has nothing to do with the origin of the universe, only why the particles that came as a result of that had mass and others don't.

10. Likes squirrelbo1, Fijiandoce, Valefor likes this post
    Superior Member

Back on topic then.
    That whole Earth being round thing? Just a theory.

That whole gravity keeps us from floating away into space? Just a theory.

Last time I checked I will neither walk off the face of the Earth nor will I float off into space.

Back on topic then.

Finding the Higgs Boson is akin to finding the "missing link." Just goes to validate what they've been doing for the past fifty-ish years.

PS3 Trophies
    You can do a hundred things right, but it takes only one mistake to destroy everything.

12. Likes Mael Duin likes this post
    Super Elite

Back on topic then.
    Gravity's also just a theory, mate. Doesn't mean we are flying and floating in space, are we now?

Back on topic, this is an amazing time to be young people! We are literally on the cusp of a new scientific age. **** YEA SCIENCE!
    Last edited by Cyklops; 07-04-2012 at 16:09.

14. Likes Lebowski , Xelios likes this post
    Elite Member
    Science is amazing. So lemme get this straight: these Higgs bosons are the source of matter in the universe?

But you know what I love about science? Politicians and religious leaders an just people in general talk and talk and talk about nothing, but science? Science is there, and the true knowledge and advancement that comes with it is comforting, if that makes any sense.

Tapatalking from my bed. Ya mutha says hi.
    Thanks to Kwesnoth for the sig!

TheCinemaJack Movie Reviews!

Administrator
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Science is amazing. So lemme get this straight: these Higgs bosons are the source of matter in the universe?
    in a way....its more accurately described as giving mass to matter
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

17. Likes smiggy likes this post
    Elite Sage
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Back on topic then.
    Gravity is a theory.

You telling me you don't believe in gravity?

EDIT: Cyklops beat me. Well done good chap.
    I once ate a dirty sock...don't tell anyone.
    World domination has taken a momentary setback...talk amongst yourselves in the meantime.
    UK>America. its just true

19. Likes Cyklops likes this post
    Master Guru
    PSN ID
    THUGGEDOUT1
    Items LBP ColeLBP SephirothLBP KratosLBP HelgastLBP EzioLBP Cloud
    "One particle of unobtainium has a nuclear reaction with the flux capacitor - carry the '2' - changing its atomic isotoner into a radioactive spider. **** you, Science!"

"When I was 12, I milked my eel into a pot of turtle stew. I flogged the one-eyed snake, I skinned my sausage. I made the bald man cry into the turtle stew, which I believe my sister ate. At least I hope she did."

Home Theater Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by jinsoo View Post
    That whole Earth being round thing? Just a theory.

That whole gravity keeps us from floating away into space? Just a theory.

Last time I checked I will neither walk off the face of the Earth nor will I float off into space.

Back on topic then.

Finding the Higgs Boson is akin to finding the "missing link." Just goes to validate what they've been doing for the past fifty-ish years.
    That "round earth thingy" is not a theory but a fact because we can actually SEE that it's round.

Gravity is not a theory anymore either because we don't float through space but fall back on the ground when we jump.

Hell, dinosaurs are also not a theory because we found actual bones that tell us about their past.

However, the universe being created by the Big Bang can only be ASSUMED by scientists because there is no concrete evidence, even if such assumptions seem to be logical. An assumption with no actual evidence does not equal fact though. Just lots of little details pointing towards that direction.
    Last edited by Wrath; 07-04-2012 at 19:52.

Forum Sage

That "round earth thingy" is not a theory but a fact because we can actually SEE that it's round.

Gravity is not a theory anymore either because we don't float through space but fall back on the ground when we jump.

Hell, dinosaurs are also not a theory because we found actual bones that tell us about their past.

However, the universe being created by the Big Bang can only be ASSUMED by scientists, even if such assumptions seem to be logical. An assumption with no actual evidence does not equal fact though. Just lots of little details pointing towards that direction.
    Holy ****, am i reading this right?

You're saying the reason those are not theories is because of this evidence and that evidence. Then you dismiss the evidence for the big bang and claim it's all assumption?

Elite Sage

However, the universe being created by the Big Bang can only be ASSUMED by scientists because there is no concrete evidence, even if such assumptions seem to be logical. An assumption with no actual evidence does not equal fact though. Just lots of little details pointing towards that direction.
    Theory of general relativity.

THEORY of general relativity.

Seriously.

Tell me when its the LAW of general relativity.
    I once ate a dirty sock...don't tell anyone.
    World domination has taken a momentary setback...talk amongst yourselves in the meantime.
    UK>America. its just true

Ultimate Veteran
    Items DreamcastPlayStationNintendoBullyGTA ClaudeFinal Fantasy IX

Back on topic then.
    That's funny, because you've made it clear that you're not one of "the science guys". What right do you have coming into this thread questioning the importance of such discoveries? It may not help you but it helps others.
    Last edited by Black; 07-04-2012 at 20:16.

3DS Friend Code: 1349-4916-2054

25. Likes Mael Duin, Cyklops, smiggy, Xelios likes this post
    Home Theater Guru
    Oh well, I guess I'm at the wrong place here.

Indoril Nerevar
    Hurray for technology and science!

Back on topic then.
    That's not the point here. Besides, the Big Bang has overtly solid evidence for taking place. For one the Universe is observed to be expanding at a (slowing) rate, and when calculated backwards it tell us that all matter of the Universe was compressed into a single point or area roughly 20+ or so billion years ago. This is loosely coined as the 'smoking gun' observation. There are also 'shockwaves' of radiation, but I admit I'm not entirely familiar with that one yet.

Oh well, I guess I'm at the wrong place here.
    I don't understand why. Just appreciate what knowledge these scientists are, if slowly, uncovering about our universe.
    Last edited by Rapture; 07-04-2012 at 20:54.

28. Likes Fijiandoce likes this post
    Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation

Back on topic then.

Just like you religious guys will never be able to explain God and why water turned into wine. Ever.

See, two can play at this game.

Last edited by Lebowski; 07-04-2012 at 20:55.

30. Likes Cyklops, John25 likes this post
    Elite Sage
    Items AC/DCRolling StonesAtari 2600GTA CJBattlefield 3Final Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIINESSNESEvertonUser name style
    Will this make Professor Langdon a believer now that the *God Particle* has been found :P

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    Yes, we will have Angels & Demons sequel or reboot where he is the villain lol.

33. Likes John25 likes this post
    Home Theater Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    That's not the point here. Besides, the Big Bang has overtly solid evidence for taking place. For one the Universe is observed to be expanding at a (slowing) rate, and when calculated backwards it tell us that all matter of the Universe was compressed into a single point or area roughly 20+ or so billion years ago. This is loosely coined as the 'smoking gun' observation. There are also 'shockwaves' of radiation, but I admit I'm not entirely familiar with that one yet.
    But if it was all compressed into a single point, what was around that point? I mean, is there anything like "nothingness" out there?

Indoril Nerevar
    People should keep in mind that this is technically not confirmed as the higgs boson. It could be another particle with overtly similar traits of the higgs boson when under observation. However, if it is the higgs boson (it very likely is) then this will help confirm a part of the quantum field theory, which is key in undertaking how the infrastructure of reality works. As well, it may lead to scientists discovering what and how a photon works within our lifetime. For those who do not know, a photon exhibits the traits of both a particle and a wave, but it functions purely as a particle when under observation.

But if it was all compressed into a single point, what was around that point? I mean, is there anything like "nothingness" out there?
    Last I've read, there was was 'nothing' around it. Many laws of physics weren't even at play. With its sudden inflation, spacetime was born.
    Last edited by Rapture; 07-04-2012 at 21:30.

Home Theater Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    Last I've read, there was was 'nothing' around it. Many laws of physics weren't even at play. With its sudden inflation, spacetime was born.
    And how can one imagine the concept of "nothing"?

Thread Information