Latest PSU headlines:

Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

How to lose your head in Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD multiplayer

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD is a remake of two classic games, rebuilt by Robomodo in Unreal Engine with excellent accuracy. It brings back several classic modes for multiplayer (now supporting four players, online only) but adds a new throwback to the earlier days of gaming.

After skaters enter the level in Big Head Elimination mode, their heads start to expand. The rate of expansion increases for as long as the round lasts, and the only way to counter the bloat is to do tricks and bust mad flips, as the kids say.

There is one caveat, though. If you hit 100 percent inflation, even while you're in the middle of a massive line, your head will explode. It's a tough balance, knowing when to bank your tricks to prevent your head's steadily expanding affliction and when to keep going. But, hey, if you fail first, you can spend the rest of the match tormenting others as a headless skater.

Graffiti and Time Attack are two returning modes, fondly remembered by anyone around to play the first two Tony Hawk's Pro Skater games on the PSOne. Graffiti unleashes skaters into an environment for an allotted amount of time, with the goal being to trick off different objects littered throughout. The player with the highest score on a ramp, rail, etc. "tags" it as their own and moves on. At the end of the round, the skater with the most domain wins.

Time Attack is a bit more self-explanatory, dropping skaters into locales and tasking them with amassing the most points to win the round before the timer runs out. On the smaller levels this is a more harrowing prospect, as skaters can run into each other and kill each other's lines with relative ease.

Rounding out the rest of the multiplayer suite in Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD is Free Skate, a less hectic multiplayer mode where everyone just chills out and skates around a single map like best buds – at least, that's how we imagine it'd be if gravity didn't totally conquer our social circle so many moons ago.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD launches on Xbox Live Arcade on July 18 for 1200 MS Points ($15).
    Source

It'll be released on the PlayStation Network as well.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD is a remake of two classic games, rebuilt by Robomodo in Unreal Engine...
    stopped reading. UE is a crutch!
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Fijiandoce View Post
    stopped reading. UE is a crutch!
    That's fine. I was expecting people who read the entire article to comment.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksite View Post
    That's fine. I was expecting people who read the entire article to comment.
    i intended to read the article. but the words "remake" and "Unreal Engine" totally depressed me. i can barely stand the two of them used on their own.....but in the same sentence? its death to me.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Fijiandoce View Post
    i intended to read the article. but the words "remake" and "Unreal Engine" totally depressed me. i can barely stand the two of them used on their own.....but in the same sentence? its death to me.
    And I can barely stand the hypocrisy of hate geared towards the Unreal Engine. People openly criticize it for being an archaic engine that hasn't aged well and yet games that actually utilize it, like Batman: Arkham City or Mirror's Edge, continue to receive praise and recommendations from gamers all over. Besides, it's the gameplay that should matter.
    Last edited by Black; 07-04-2012 at 20:32.

6. Likes RaY_210 , Zswordsman, Nerevar likes this post
    Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    Oh right, this is a timed exclusive to XBOX for a while and then it comes to PSN later. I am sick and $#@!ing tired of their bull$#@! at this point. $#@! you, Microsoft.

8. Likes RaY_210 likes this post
    Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksite View Post
    And I can barely stand the hypocrisy of hate geared towards the Unreal Engine. People openly criticize it for being an archaic engine that hasn't aged well and yet games that actually utilize it, like Batman: Arkham City or Mirror's Edge, continue to receive praise and recommendations from gamers all over. Besides, it's the gameplay that should matter.
    oh no this isn't why i dislike the Unreal Engine. i apologise if i alluded so. i dislike it for the reason you ended on, gameplay. im not a fan of this engines depressing animation system. especially when Cryengine and Killzones proprietary engine have major animation systems.
    but like i said above, some studios use it as a crutch, they see it as an easy way to develop a game. and this is what stopped me finishing the article: the impression of them taking the easy way out....remakes included.
    as you can see, Mirrors edge is in my sig as one of my top 5 games ever. so i have no hate for quality games made with the engine in mind.
    Last edited by Fijiandoce; 07-04-2012 at 21:01.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    Blame the developers instead. It's really how the dev utilizes it. Is he lazy with it or will he/she create some original way to introduce a new gameplay mechanic in the game?

11. Likes Zswordsman likes this post
    Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    its actually the publishers, but im trying hard to turn a blind eye
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Superior Member

The lack of split-screen is what stops this remake from being potentially brilliant

Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    the hate towards UE is nothing more then people hating on it just for the sake of hating on it, like sheep. unless you develop games and know everything about this engine, there isn't a good enough reason to hate it, you at least need some experience with it and so far lots of developers out there really don't have anything bad to say about it for those that use it. when they released Batman which used this engine, you couldn't even tell it was the unreal engine, if you say you could tell, you are lying. the engine itself is for ease of use for other developers. people tend to completely "muck" the fact that the engine is not only extremely versatile but you can add anything you want to it and build even more upon the engine itself. UE is a very good engine and from what I've heard from other developers that use it, it's easy and costs a lot less for a good outcome you can get from making a video game with.

as for this title, I may just pick it up if it's cheap enough. sounds pretty good.
    Last edited by Bigdoggy; 07-04-2012 at 23:02.

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    Huh...that's cool.

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Quote Originally Posted by DreDayDetox View Post
    Oh right, this is a timed exclusive to XBOX for a while and then it comes to PSN later. I am sick and $#@!ing tired of their bull$#@! at this point. $#@! you, Microsoft.
    Yeah I might wait for a sale anyway, doubt we'll even get ingame XMB music which this game begs for.
    Quote Originally Posted by KHlover
    Yoshida:"We won't produce any AAA games for Vita, buy Indie games or fuck off"

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdoggy View Post
    the hate towards UE is nothing more then people hating on it just for the sake of hating on it, like sheep.
    i feel im being targeted by this >_>
    as im somewhat at fault i'll say this. no, im not "just hating on it", as i said above, my hate lies in the animation system, which is why im very interested in the UE4, as they outlined this system being done proper.

when they released Batman which used this engine, you couldn't even tell it was the unreal engine, if you say you could tell, you are lying.
    then i guess im lying....really, any UE game can be seen a mile away.
    the exceptions would be Mirrors edge and Borderlands the latter of which only came into question when i snarkily commented on its major texture pop-in, and compared it to that of the UE3. wherin i had a moment of realisation.

the engine itself is for ease of use for other developers. people tend to completely "muck" the fact that the engine is not only extremely versatile but you can add anything you want to it and build even more upon the engine itself.
    this is one of the things that helped mirrors edge. the lighting system is completely DICE. as i said above, mirrors edge was made with the UE in mind, what they implemented was a lighting system that reflected the object colour which added to its artistic vision. this particular game[in the OP] is not and has no artistic vision, or any vision really, as its a remake....

I've heard from other developers that use it, it's easy and costs a lot less for a good outcome you can get from making a video game with.
    this is where i started in this thread. easy being the key word. the whole premise is EASY. im not saying i expect Uncharted level sophistication from the get go but come on....a remake on top of the UE? these guys aren't even trying to be original.

if im not being clear yet i'll flat out say it. i have no problem with the way UE works, looks, or runs.
    my dislike lies in its clunky animation system. it also lies in how devs use this software......which is why i feel this dev is getting the short end of the stick.
    Last edited by Fijiandoce; 07-04-2012 at 23:52.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    ?NEw modes soudns good the Original 3 Tony games are great fun to this day.

Not a fan of Unreal engine 3 most games made with it tend to have aweful mouse acceleration or FOV/Aspect ratio problems or both, even Epic's own Unreal Tournament 3 suffered those problems back in 2007 yet here we are in 2012 and the same $#@! with different developers of varying Epicness.

But a game like this I will be using a controller on a console if mine worked.
    Last edited by keefy; 07-05-2012 at 01:40.

This is a local shop for local people you have no business here!

Ancient
    Batman reeked of UE3, But was still good
    ME is look great but in general, UE3 is a very ugly engine

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Dedicated Member
    Looking forward to this. The first two Tony Hawk's were the best. 3 wasn't bad either. Now we need a Dave Mirra or Matt Hoffman BMX remake or sequel.

Common sense isn't all that common.

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Quote Originally Posted by Pestilence View Post
    Looking forward to this. The first two Tony Hawk's were the best. 3 wasn't bad either. Now we need a Dave Mirra or Matt Hoffman BMX remake or sequel.
    Dave Mirra Freestyle is great its slightly more technical than Mat Hoffman much like Thrasher is against Tony Hawk games.
    Last edited by keefy; 07-06-2012 at 21:30.

This is a local shop for local people you have no business here!

Thread Information