Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

New Super Mario Bros 2 Hands-on Q&A

New Super Mario Bros 2 Hands-on Q&A

Posted in Featured, Features on July 6, 2012 11:43 pm by James B

3DSTribe managed to sample Mario’s new brand of coin hunger recently as we went hands on with the three level coin rush demo last spotted at E3. Is it a Mazza revelation? An evolution of the 2D platformer? Will Nintendo offer a way to transfer our collected coins into real money? (Even if they did the Mushroom Coin to British Pound conversion rate was terrible last we checked…)
    Truth be told, New Super Mario Bros 2 is a fairly standard sequel from what we can tell. But if your game was a multi million seller then we doubt you’d rock that boat too too much either. However a number of interesting additions alongside a smart high score focus should ensure that New Super Mario Bros. 2 offers something slightly more than its predecessor.
    The Q&A below illuminates these feelings in detail, and if you’ve got any extra queries then don’t shy away from dropping them in the comments below!
    Q – Is there a large emphasis on high scores (coin scores?) per level, or are we only focusing on that 1 million coin goal?

A – Well, it depends which mode you’re playing. We were tinkering with the game’s coin rush mode so collecting the moolah was the whole point of the game there, but Nintendo are keeping the actual single player a little candid right now.
    That said recent screenshots allude to coin multipliers being apparent during the campaign so there may be a greater purpose to snaffling up coins than just building towards that distant total.

Q – How does the balance between collecting coins and speedrunning for an end-of-level coin bonus work out? Is there any incentive to do the latter?

A – Absolutely. When you finish the level a fraction of your final time (20% if our maths is correct) is converted to coins and added to your purse. So not only are you trying to collect a lot of coins, you’re trying to collect a lot of coins as fast as possible – a few seconds could make all the difference when you’re pushing a level to absolute breaking point. So should you go out of your way to collect one coin if it will take a few seconds to get to it? Should you double back if you miss a few coins in a speedy sprint? Is it worth using the Tanooki to grab the stash up there or just head straight underground for the Gold Fire Flower? Deviating from the path means you’ll lose precious seconds, precious seconds that would be cashed in for even more dollar dollar, so there’s a fun dichotomy in working out how to maximise each element to give you more coins in the overall run.
    The true appeal of the coin rush mode lies completely in finding that sweet, sweet balance between speed and capital gain. Live by the buffet fanatic’s motto – make haste with minimal waste. Delicious.
    Q – Do levels have more variety to them now – has NSMB finally reached the dizzy heights of Super Mario World?

A – We can’t definitively say yay or nay at this point but the Tanooki tail is an important addition. Verticality now plays a part in levels, with secret coin stashes and areas tucked in the clouds for inquisitive players to sniff out. The game also feels less ‘restrained’. Twisting and turning L blocks present more tricky platforming, while all the extra coin showers add an indulgent appeal to a game full of strange, new mechanisms.
    But while there’s definitely ‘more’ to New Super Mario Bros 2′s levels than its predecessor, its high score focus may end up forcing the levels to be a little more straightforward and ‘sensible’ than those of World. No pipes that launch you half way across the level, for instance. Time will tell on this one.

Q – Can we throw shells upwards yet?

A – Nope.
    Q – Is there anything that makes smart use of the 3D effect, like those into-the-screen bullet bills Shigsy hinted at over a year ago?

A – Not in our three level sample, no. The 3D effect so far seems very minimalistic, applying a slight feel of distance between the playing field and the horizon. Mutant Mudds still seems to be the poster child for fancy-pants 3D platforming.
    Q – Did you play multiplayer and if so, was it the standard game plus Luigi or jut a separate special mode?

A – Unfortunately we weren’t able to sample multiplayer, but from words uttered at E3 it sounds like you’ll be playing the same core campaign with the addition of Mr. Green.
    Q – Are there any new varieties of enemies?

A – Every enemy seems to have a ‘pimp’ mode that will spew coins in some capacity. New Super Mario Bros. 2 also continues Nintendo’s recent fascination with the zombification of the mushroom kingdom – Dry Goombas and Dry Phirahna Plants were spotted. However all the foes on display were familiar faces sporting the new clothes, no genuinely new adversaries were spotted.

Q – Did any of the levels serve up some new “wow” moments or was it mostly recycled ideas?

A – Using the Gold Flower is particularly satisfying. A rare experiment in unrestrained destruction as you turn anything and everything around you into pure sparkling sterling. The actual levels themselves? Fairly standard Mario fare. Good stuff then, but nothing outstanding.
    Q – Any particularly challenging moments?

A – In our demo? No. We get the feeling that the bulk of New Super Mario Bros 2′s challenge will come from wringing out a super high score from its levels, the cin rush mode seems incredibly compelling.
    Q – Scott Varnham ‏@Scottv1
    @3DSTribe Is NSMB2 worse or better than the first one?

A – Better. From the slightly stranger level elements to the empowering items and hidden secret Tanooki areas, New Super Mario Bros. 2 feels like a more well rounded, more kooky Mario game. And it’s all the more appealing with it.

Q – Brock Butterballs ‏@BrokButterballs
    @3dstribe First impressions?

A – High Score classic in the making. Easily superior to New Super Mario Bros. but whether or not it can take the 2D Mario crown is less of a certainty.
    ————————————-
    And so ends our brief Q&A session. New Super Mario Bros. 2 is releasing in the UK on August 17th, and the US on August 19th. Of course if you have any other questions drop them in the comments below!
    Link: http://3dstribe.com/features/new-sup...2-hands-on-qa/
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I've never really been a "high score" player. I just enjoy the games for their experiences they bring out. So, here's my money Ninty!

3. Likes RaY_210 , Kwes likes this post
    Unbound Mercenary
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    I've never really been a "high score" player. I just enjoy the games for their experiences they bring out. So, here's my money Ninty!
    Same here man.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.

5. Likes RaY_210 likes this post
    ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    I like to compete with friends on high scores for fun lol nothing wrong with that.

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    RaYU84
    Items Iron Maiden3DSBaby ChocoboDr. DreDragon Ball Z3DSPS3 SlimNintendo 64TOOLPink FloydAC/DCFuturama
    Quote Originally Posted by -Kwesnoth- View Post
    Same here man.
    Thirded. Until someone starts talking smack. Then it's on! Lol
    Thanks to THUGGEDOUT for the sig, The Black Wolf for the av.
    Life's too short to be sober! Drunk with power!

Elite Member
    Items BowserDoom
    I wish these were on the Wii, they would be day 1 for me.
    Thou shall not question my lame sig
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    RaYU84
    Items Iron Maiden3DSBaby ChocoboDr. DreDragon Ball Z3DSPS3 SlimNintendo 64TOOLPink FloydAC/DCFuturama
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeghtmare View Post
    I wish these were on the Wii, they would be day 1 for me.
    Wow. This must be a first! Someone on PSU actually wishing a Wii game

Elite Member
    Items BowserDoom
    Quote Originally Posted by RaY_210 View Post
    Wow. This must be a first! Someone on PSU actually wishing a Wii game
    That's because I don't have a 3DS and I'm not planning to buy one.
    Of course I'd prefer if Nintendo stepped out of the HW business and started making mario games for the PS3, but since that's not gonna happen at least I'd like to have it on the Wii so I don't have to buy another Nintendo console/device (which I won't for a couple of years)
    Thou shall not question my lame sig
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    RaYU84
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeghtmare View Post
    That's because I don't have a 3DS and I'm not planning to buy one.
    Of course I'd prefer if Nintendo stepped out of the HW business and started making mario games for the PS3, but since that's not gonna happen at least I'd like to have it on the Wii so I don't have to buy another Nintendo console/device (which I won't for a couple of years)
    Yeah I understand that. It's just that besides Black Wolf, F34R, and a handful of others, he majority of the time, I seem to hear: why is this on the Wii, etc. Mostly bashing on the Wii and now, the Wii U as well

Thread Information