Latest PSU headlines:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2
Results 26 to 39 of 39
  1. #26
    Nosce te ipsum
    F34R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Posts
    40,000
    Rep Power
    240
    Points
    136,127 (0 Banked)
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    This has been able to do since shortly after the 360 launched. You need Gold membership to use Microsoft services. The didn't change that. The free online play isn't supported by Microsoft.




  2. #27
    Ultimate Veteran
    mistercrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Posts
    24,668
    Rep Power
    159
    Points
    154,530 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I paid 10 bucks for 3 months and before that I paid 2 bucks for 2 months. If thats too much for you to pay for a better online service then you need a new hobby. Discounted Live is always available. Thats why I always laugh at these but you have to pay for Live comments mostly coming from those who have never used it. lol

  3. #28
    Nosce te ipsum
    F34R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Posts
    40,000
    Rep Power
    240
    Points
    136,127 (0 Banked)
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    I paid 10 bucks for 3 months and before that I paid 2 bucks for 2 months. If thats too much for you to pay for a better online service then you need a new hobby. Discounted Live is always available. Thats why I always laugh at these but you have to pay for Live comments mostly coming from those who have never used it. lol
    Yes, you have to pay for Xbox Live Gold membership. However, you don't have to pay to play online without Microsoft services. Period. People need to learn.




  4. #29
    PSU Technical Advisor
    Vulgotha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Age
    23
    Posts
    15,900
    Rep Power
    140
    Points
    74,896 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Like what? By using XBC? That's a little disingenuous, FEAR.

    While technically true in the strictest sense, this is by itself a completely different category of online gaming. It was kind of worth it back during the original Xbox with Halo 2, and was fun.

    You're gonna have to elaborate a bit.

    If that is your argument then there's not a whole lot of reason to own a console now is there? Mine as well pony up for a low tier PC that can play most of the games at the same visual quality, be small enough to be portable and still be flexible enough to all other kinds of workloads.

    I also wonder how well this would work with all the games that require you to do redeem an online pass. Can those be redeemed on the Xbox without an XBL subscription?

    And if the PC software is only a faux LAN model, then you're in bigger trouble. Many titles don't support LAN's out of the box, so there isn't much to work with in that regard. Or they have paired down features (like the first string of COD titles).
    Last edited by Vulgotha; 08-02-2012 at 22:29.
    Awesome techno and dubstep! Visit: http://Solkrieg.com
    Latest Song: Lady GaGa's Monster Dubstep!


  5. #30
    Nosce te ipsum
    F34R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Posts
    40,000
    Rep Power
    240
    Points
    136,127 (0 Banked)
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    Like what? By using XBC? That's a little disingenuous, FEAR.

    While technically true in the strictest sense, this is by itself a completely different category of online gaming. It was kind of worth it back during the original Xbox with Halo 2, and was fun.

    You're gonna have to elaborate a bit.

    If that is your argument then there's not a whole lot of reason to own a console now is there? Mine as well pony up for a low tier PC that can play most of the games at the same visual quality, be small enough to be portable and still be flexible enough to all other kinds of workloads.

    I also wonder how well this would work with all the games that require you to do redeem an online pass. Can those be redeemed on the Xbox without an XBL subscription?

    And if the PC software is only a faux LAN model, then you're in bigger trouble. Many titles don't support LAN's out of the box, so there isn't much to work with in that regard. Or they have paired down features (like the first string of COD titles).
    Correct, it's a different category... it's free. If you want the services and features you get with Xbox Live, you have to pay for it. You don't get that type of service for online play from any other console for free. Elaborate? Nah, it's easy to learn about what is available, etc.

    It's not an argument... people wanna play online for free, there's the option. If you want the features and services on the Xbox 360, then you'll need to pay for those services you don't get free anywhere else in the console market.




  6. #31
    PSU Technical Advisor
    Vulgotha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Age
    23
    Posts
    15,900
    Rep Power
    140
    Points
    74,896 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Correct, it's a different category... it's free. If you want the services and features you get with Xbox Live, you have to pay for it. You don't get that type of service for online play from any other console for free. Elaborate? Nah, it's easy to learn about what is available, etc.

    It's not an argument... people wanna play online for free, there's the option. If you want the features and services on the Xbox 360, then you'll need to pay for those services you don't get free anywhere else in the console market.
    Yea, no, bullshit.

    If you just want to play online, the way the console was meant to be played online, you have to pay. PSN lets me play online for free and for alot of gamers who don't really need all the other crap, this is just fine.

    I get messenging, I get a friends list, I can play online, I get achievements\trophies (this isn't even important to me personally). I don't pay a cent. STEAM is all this, more, and a bag of chips of course.

    So saying "Well, can always just do XBC and play for free!11" is just a little bit touched in the head.

    "Well if you want to play with other people online, you can always do LAN parties! Even though every other competitor out there offers online for free (Wii, STEAM\PC, PSN), we're not going to. BUT YOU STILL HAVE THE OPTION OF USING A THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE TO SIMULATE A "LAN" TO PLAY ONLINE MAYBE IF THERE IS A POPULATION FOR YOUR TITLE + IT HAS LAN FEATURES OUT OF THE BOX!"

    C'mon.
    Awesome techno and dubstep! Visit: http://Solkrieg.com
    Latest Song: Lady GaGa's Monster Dubstep!


  7. #32
    Nosce te ipsum
    F34R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Posts
    40,000
    Rep Power
    240
    Points
    136,127 (0 Banked)
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Either play only for free without the features, or pay for them. Simple.




  8. #33
    PSU Technical Advisor
    Vulgotha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Age
    23
    Posts
    15,900
    Rep Power
    140
    Points
    74,896 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Either play only for free without the features, or pay for them. Simple.
    Yes.

    And for this reason I place XBL in dead last of the three. I can't be bothered to try and conjure up some fanciful arguments as to why its a great deal.
    Awesome techno and dubstep! Visit: http://Solkrieg.com
    Latest Song: Lady GaGa's Monster Dubstep!


  9. #34
    Nosce te ipsum
    F34R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Posts
    40,000
    Rep Power
    240
    Points
    136,127 (0 Banked)
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    Yes.

    And for this reason I place XBL in dead last of the three. I can't be bothered to try and conjure up some fanciful arguments as to why its a great deal.
    I don't see anyone conjuring up any arguments. Just facts. You either are fine with having less features, but no cost involved; or you pay for the features you won't get on any other consoles. If Sony implemented the online gaming features that are present with having a Gold membership, I'd pay for it too.




  10. #35
    Apprentice
    Georges's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Lebanon
    PSN ID
    Georges_2251
    Age
    16
    Posts
    227
    Rep Power
    17
    Points
    1,397 (0 Banked)
    Items Final Fantasy Tactics
    With PSN Plus though, Sony takes it a step farther. Members of the Plus service get all sorts of discounts on games (generally more games than Gold members as well), but they also get to download free games each month.
    This alone seals the deal for me

  11. #36
    Nosce te ipsum
    F34R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Posts
    40,000
    Rep Power
    240
    Points
    136,127 (0 Banked)
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Georges View Post
    This alone seals the deal for me
    It seals it this year so far for me. Last year, not so much. PS+ (there isn't an PSN Plus) has been better than Gold content.




  12. #37
    Apprentice
    Georges's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Lebanon
    PSN ID
    Georges_2251
    Age
    16
    Posts
    227
    Rep Power
    17
    Points
    1,397 (0 Banked)
    Items Final Fantasy Tactics
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    It seals it this year so far for me. Last year, not so much. PS+ (there isn't an PSN Plus) has been better than Gold content.
    I am sure of that. The main reason for this is that games cost 60-80 bucks regardless of content over here, and the games seem pretty good so that's a plus.
    Also, if you have noticed my avatar you might see i'm an inFAMOUS fan, and the sequel isn't available here so the ability to legally download the sequel of my favorite game for free is amazing .

  13. #38
    PSU Live Streamer
    YoungMullah88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Charlotte
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Posts
    13,732
    Rep Power
    107
    Points
    24,745 (1,800 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Ok, maybe I should help explain this... buying a game on the 360, and wanting to play online free, CAN BE DONE!! Gold membership is not a requirement to play online. Gold membership is required to use Microsoft services.

    So, everyone that has a 360, and games they wanna play online for free... do a little research, play the games for free. So there you go. You don't have to pay more cash to use it.
    huh? i dont need gold to play games online on the 360? when did this happen?

  14. #39
    Nosce te ipsum
    F34R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Posts
    40,000
    Rep Power
    240
    Points
    136,127 (0 Banked)
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungMullah88 View Post
    huh? i dont need gold to play games online on the 360? when did this happen?
    A long time ago. You only need to Gold to use Microsoft services for the online play, apps, etc.




Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

PSU

Playstation Universe

Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission of Abstract Holdings International Ltd. prohibited.
Use of this site is governed by our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.