Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Friendship is Carrots
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Uruguay legalizes marijuana to fight crime,

Source

Uruguay's government has opted for the "regulated and controled legalization" of marijuana in the South American country as a crime-fighting measure and pledged to lobby against the current global drug-war strategy in international forums.

The prohibition of "certain drugs" in Uruguay is creating "more problems than the drugs themselves," Defense Minister Eleuterio Fernandez Huidobro said Wednesday, noting that other similar situations in neighboring countries have had "disastrous" consequences.

The minister referred to the "dramatic situation" triggered by drug trafficking in "other Latin American countries such as Mexico, Honduras, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Colombia, Brazil, and now it's starting in Ecuador."

"We don't want the same thing to happen to us in Uruguay," the defense minister said.

The administration of President Jose Mujica, currently in Brazil for the Rio+20 environmental summit, will "fight (in) all the international forums" for the legalization of marijuana, Fernandez Huidobro said.

The defense minister announced the decision to legalize the psychoactive drug at a press conference, in which he was joined by presidential secretary Alberto Breccia, Interior Minister Eduardo Bonomi and Social Development Minister Daniel Olesker.

It will now be "Uruguayan foreign policy" to combat the "prohibition (of consumption) begun in 1971 by the erroneous decision of former U.S. President Richard Nixon, who brought about the current disaster" by "declaring a war that's been won by the narcos," Fernandez Huidobro said.

Marijuana consumption was already tolerated in Uruguay, but now Mujica's leftist Broad Front government plans to overhaul existing legislation barring its production and sale and has the necessary votes in Congress to do so.

Marijuana "will be planted by the country's farmers," the defense minister said, adding that the state-regulated system will undermine illegal drug dealers.

The government says regulation of marijuana sales would help combat consumption of cocaine paste, a drug that is more powerful and addictive and which is blamed for a rise in juvenile delinquency in the South American country.

Nearly 10 percent of the population, or 300,000 people, have consumed marijuana at some point in their lives and between 127,000 and 150,000 do so "on a regular basis," creating an illegal market valued at "$75 million a year," Fernandez Huidobro said. EFE
    This is awesome news. Hopefully more western nations take their turn as well.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

The Heisman
    its a stupid law... always has been.

its basically legal in a lot of states now too... just have to tell your doctor you have trouble sleeping
    (disclaimer- I am not a smoker)

way too many people in jail for possessing/smoking/selling a plant if you ask me.

By Theft
    I am stunned that some people appear to love their Playstation(1,2,3) or Xbox(360) more than I love the Denver Broncos.
    Trust me, it's sad

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by DayWalker View Post
    its a stupid law... always has been.

its basically legal in a lot of states now too... just have to tell your doctor you have trouble sleeping
    (disclaimer- I am not a smoker)

way too many people in jail for possessing/smoking/selling a plant if you ask me.
    Its used for cancer patients not for sleeping disorder they have bills for that I worked in pharmaceuticals before i went in Law. I don't share your amusement when it comes to medical use of it for people that need it.

This law coming into effect in America? Wishful thinking at its best! American politics smh

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

The Heisman
    Quote Originally Posted by DeviousOne View Post
    Its used for cancer patients not for sleeping disorder they have bills for that I worked in pharmaceuticals before i went in Law. I don't share your amusement when it comes to medical use of it for people that need it.

This law coming into effect in America? Wishful thinking at its best! American politics smh
    you can get a perscription for medical mj for just about anything was the point... that you missed apparently...

hence..."its basically legal in some states"
    Last edited by DayWalker; 07-11-2012 at 04:24.

By Theft
    I am stunned that some people appear to love their Playstation(1,2,3) or Xbox(360) more than I love the Denver Broncos.
    Trust me, it's sad

Elite Member
    I was expecting an article on crime-fighting cannabis.
    Thanks to Kwesnoth for the sig!

TheCinemaJack Movie Reviews!

Elite Sage
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DS
    About $#@!ing time.
    |My Playfire|My Deviantart|
    - SIG BY MY SISTER-

Master Poster
    Items LiverpoolModern Warfare 3
    It's funny, Alcohol and tobacco have killed many many many more people directly and indirectly than weed ever has and probably ever will and they're legal.

"Raise your weapon, one word and it's over"

8. Likes The Black Wolf likes this post
    Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    If they were to legalize it here in all the states, they'd need better rules and education. I just recently read a news story in which a woman's grandson or son got a hold to her weed cookies and something bad happened. They would need to educate the public about it and that children need to know that granny's cookies aren't always the best.

They'd also need warnings or a label with side effects of eating weed cookies.

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

Forum Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Danny2304 View Post
    It's funny, Alcohol and tobacco have killed many many many more people directly and indirectly than weed ever has and probably ever will and they're legal.
    You can thank tax and the big corporations for that!

Paper, oil, cotton, tobacco and alcohol industries would suffer a massive hit as soon as cannabis becomes legal and more and more companies use hemp for everything it can be used for. Glad countries are finally waking up to see how harmful cannabis really is. A government scientist got fired in UK for coming out and saying Alcohol is worse for you than Cannabis and MDMA. The government needs to stop taking moral high ground on my behalf.

They need to legalise all drugs, put out correct information (read: not scare tactics) so people can get clued up and decide for themselves if they want to do it or not.

What I really have a problem with is all of these legal highs coming out. They are far worse than most of the drugs that have been out for years.

BBK. Tapatalking.

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    bout $#@!in time..it's this sort of forward thinking attitude that needs to be adopted worldwide...legalize, and tax. governments earn money..

Super Elite

Good. It's already legal here, but I think it should be legal pretty much everywhere. Alcohol for example is much more damaging than weed, yet that's legal and weed isn't. Also afaik there isn't a lethal dosis of weed, unless maybe you smoke 24 hours straight for like a week or some weird $#@! like that lol..

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    you can get a perscription for medical mj for just about anything was the point... that you missed apparently...

I think I lost you somewhere you CAN NOT get medical MJ for just about anything. Its used to treat cancer patients so unless you have cancer your not getting medical MJ.

So its not "basically" legal because only what 2 or 3 states on the west coast you can obtain medical MJ anyways. So thats 6% of the country wouldn't be "basically legal" that means the other 94% have to take C2 medications.

Fun fact it will never be fully legal because if it is in America drug manufacturing companies that spend 200 million dollars to bring a drug to the market and make billions producing these drugs would lose so much money because MJ is so cheap to produce and could be used as an alternative to some of these c2 medications on the market. Its politic and money related at the end of the day

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Quote Originally Posted by XMW View Post
    Good. It's already legal here, but I think it should be legal pretty much everywhere. Alcohol for example is much more damaging than weed, yet that's legal and weed isn't. Also afaik there isn't a lethal dosis of weed, unless maybe you smoke 24 hours straight for like a week or some weird $#@! like that lol..
    Alcohol can be controlled and taxed not everyone can make alcohol it cost money but weed? Its very easy to grow and cheap to produce. I agree alcohol does cause more damage but like i previously said its money and politics

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Forum Guru

I was with you (and chuckled).

The crazy thing in the US (mostly for the non-US members): while states can make possession and sales legal, it’s still in violation of Federal laws. So _technically_ that legal marijuana shop (legal at the state level) can still be raided and have Federal charges brought against it.

There was a distributor in California, that was even given the key to the city by the Mayor, that was later brought up on Federal charges (the Feds spent months sending in undercover buyers with bogus documents to attempt to purchase).

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Wolf View Post
    If they were to legalize it here in all the states, they'd need better rules and education. I just recently read a news story in which a woman's grandson or son got a hold to her weed cookies and something bad happened. They would need to educate the public about it and that children need to know that granny's cookies aren't always the best.

They'd also need warnings or a label with side effects of eating weed cookies.
    Link to article? What bad things happened? Not that I would dare advocate children consuming marijuana, but this sounds like an anti-marijuana boogyman story.

That being said, I agree 110% that it would have to be carefully regulated, laws put into place to control consumption (advocates, please don’t suggest your vehicle operation is improved with weed, that’s not doing your cause +any+ favors), better testing science to mirror alcohol checks, etc.
    "Remember, you're young only once but you can be immature forever."

16. Likes DeviousOne likes this post
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Quote Originally Posted by [DT] View Post
    I was with you (and chuckled).

The crazy thing in the US (mostly for the non-US members): while states can make possession and sales legal, it’s still in violation of Federal laws. So _technically_ that legal marijuana shop (legal at the state level) can still be raided and have Federal charges brought against it.

There was a distributor in California, that was even given the key to the city by the Mayor, that was later brought up on Federal charges (the Feds spent months sending in undercover buyers with bogus documents to attempt to purchase).

Link to article? What bad things happened? Not that I would dare advocate children consuming marijuana, but this sounds like an anti-marijuana boogyman story.

That being said, I agree 110% that it would have to be carefully regulated, laws put into place to control consumption (advocates, please don’t suggest your vehicle operation is improved with weed, that’s not doing your cause +any+ favors), better testing science to mirror alcohol checks, etc.
    While i agree that makes sense, You live in south florida so you may be familiar with the Oxycontin fiasco we had going on recently and now in south fl its almost impossible to obtain the Oxycontin or the generic forms because of the abuse and prescription shoppers that ruined it for people that actually NEED the medication.

To ad to your point i think its more of a monetary issue for drug companies than anything.

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

The Heisman
    I think I lost you somewhere you CAN NOT get medical MJ for just about anything. Its used to treat cancer patients so unless you have cancer your not getting medical MJ.

So its not "basically" legal because only what 2 or 3 states on the west coast you can obtain medical MJ anyways. So thats 6% of the country wouldn't be "basically legal" that means the other 94% have to take C2 medications.

Fun fact it will never be fully legal because if it is in America drug manufacturing companies that spend 200 million dollars to bring a drug to the market and make billions producing these drugs would lose so much money because MJ is so cheap to produce and could be used as an alternative to some of these c2 medications on the market. Its politic and money related at the end of the day
    Your reading comprehension is astounding... "Some states" ... Said it in BOTH posts... Smh

By Theft
    Trust me, it's sad

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Instead of actually fighting crime just make it legal. Makes them sound lazy.

Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by [DT] View Post

Here's a link to the story about the boy eating grandma's cookies:
    http://www.nowpublic.com/strange/3-y...l-2953272.html

It is the granny's fault, BUT what they could do is put weed cookies and other weed items in bottles or containers that are hard for children to open. You know, like they do some medicines.

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Yea you only need a couple of cookies and if a toddler of 3 even less and I bet he chomped most if not all of them.

Elite Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Instead of actually fighting crime just make it legal. Makes them sound lazy.
    You can't win this fight. There will always be organizations that will bring marijuana to the streets. When you legalize it, these criminal organizations will lose a $#@!ing lot of money. It's not smart business anymore then.
    Man who chase after bus get exhausted, man who run in front of bus get tired
    Man who masturbates in class has firm grip of subject at hand
    Woman who sink in man's arms soon have arms in man's sink

Forum Guru
    On June 30, 2012, A Three-Year-Old in Murrieta, California Was Sent To Hospital After Eating Marijuana Cookies

This has been a bad week for weed in the news. First, we learned the Miami face-eating zombie only had marijuana in his system at the time of his face-eating attack. Now we learn about a three-year-old boy who was sent to the hospital after eating pot cookies made by his grandmother who is a cancer patient.

A boy from Murrieta, California got a hold of a batch of his grandmother's "space cookies" which were made of medical marijuana given to her to treat symptoms related to her condition.

The grandmother allegedly uses the marijuana cookies to help her sleep.

The child managed to get into the refrigerator and eat some space cookies. He was later sent to hospital and was later released.

Police are investigating the matter and may consider pressing child endangerment charges.
    I see is an attempt to connect marijuana to the actions of a severely mentally ill individual in Miami (“look, a man attacked another man and he only had ingested marijuana, imagine what that does to a three year old”). That’s pretty sensational, but it’s “news” right?

After you posted the location I was able to find a few other articles, apparently he slept for like 16 hours, and the family were the ones who actually determined he had eaten the cookies and informed the hospital. It’s not unlike a child eating a handful of any kind of meds, ingesting toxic cleaning solutions, etc., I agree the major issue was it being a cookie (so way more enticing to a three year old).

Though kids were apparently eating those balls you put in your washing machine too, because the colors looked like candy, and kids drinking bottles of cough syrup because it’s sweet like Koolaid.

If nothing else, I think this just speaks to responsible [grand]parenting vs. the “dangers of marijuana”!
    "Remember, you're young only once but you can be immature forever."

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    the_mooninites
    Items ICO
    Marijuana is a good first step. Now let's move on to the good stuff. Hookers, heroin and doing heroin off hookers.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

Elite Sage
    Items AC/DCRolling StonesAtari 2600GTA CJBattlefield 3Final Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIINESSNESEvertonUser name style
    Alcohol can be controlled and taxed not everyone can make alcohol it cost money but weed? Its very easy to grow and cheap to produce. I agree alcohol does cause more damage but like i previously said its money and politics
    lol what Alcohol is very easy & cheap to make with home brewing kits, & weed also costs to grow with the heat lamps & incubators which tax the hell out of Electricity meters etc.

Forum Sage

Weed is a lot cheaper to grow than you'd think. If you want, and have the weather, you can grow outside for free. Or you can use cfl bulbs wont don't cost much to run.

I do think the government wont legalize it due to the ease to grow it. Why buy the governments weed when you can easily grow your own. I don't think i could brew my own alcohol that tastes as good as Stella

Elite Sage
    Items AC/DCRolling StonesAtari 2600GTA CJBattlefield 3Final Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIINESSNESEvertonUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBettaKnow View Post
    Weed is a lot cheaper to grow than you'd think. If you want, and have the weather, you can grow outside for free. Or you can use cfl bulbs wont don't cost much to run.

I do think the government wont legalize it due to the ease to grow it. Why buy the governments weed when you can easily grow your own. I don't think i could brew my own alcohol that tastes as good as Stella
    lol I don't think anyone would want to brew their Alcohol to taste like a wife beater :P

Thread Information