Latest PSU headlines:

View Poll Results: Which online service do you prefer?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Xbox Live

17 41.46%
  • Playstation Network

23 56.10%
  • Nintendo Network

1 2.44%
  • I don't play online

0 0%
Page 1 of 4 1 ... LastLast
    Soldier 95B

Cool Xbox Live vs. Playstation Network

So which service do you prefer? This isn't about which service is better, since that is an opinionated discussion. What do you like or dislike about each online network? What features would you like to see on Xbox Live that the Playstation Network has? What features would you like to have on the Playstation Network that Xbox Live has? This does not relate to the dashboard/xmb however. That is an entirely different topic.

Take the gloves off!

Xbox Live - Services/Features I enjoy:

1. Multiplayer connectivity is solid, and feature rich in almost all games this gen, taking advantage of the XBL features.
    2. Cross game/Party chat in games and movies as well as auto-party reconnect after getting disconnected when prompted to restart to download update for game.
    3. Instant messaging in game with PC/phone/tablet users
    4. Mandatory demos for all XBLA games and Indie games
    5. Seamless cloud storage that automatically syncs with every Xbox
    6. Automated achievement sync, on and offline
    7. Web access to XBL Marketplace to queue, purchase, download
    8. Truskill Ranked matchmaking for every game
    9. Universal Complaint/Reporting system
    10.Video chat (with Kinect)

Xbox Live - What needs to be improved?

1. Offer a free online access tier
    2. Change Microsoft Points to real currency
    3. Increase party chat to at least 10
    4. Open the network to more cross game compatibility and updates (such as Steam on PS3)
    5. Push out more XBL features more often, instead of annually/semi-annually.

Playstation Network - Services/Features I enjoy:

1. Free access to online multiplayer
    2. Open network allows for larger MMO style games like Dust 514
    3. PSN Connectivity shared between the PS Vita and Playstation 3
    4. Playstation Network is the home for all things Playstation Home. While I don't use Playstation Home, millions and millions do.
    5. PSN uses real money instead of points like XBL/Nintendo. This makes is much easier to calcuate at a glimpse how much something is going to set you back
    6. This can be seen as good and bad, but I think it's good. The frequency of firmware updates giving us feature updates more often, instead of waiting for once or twice a year to get a bunch of features.
    7. Playstation Network shows you when users log offline, in addition to logging online.
    8. PSN will automatically update your machine while you are away when using PSN+.
    9. PSN+ subscription gives you access to FREE FULL games (so long as you remain subscribed), as well as discounted games.
    10. PSN supports a chatroom, similar to PC

Playstation Network - What needs to be improved?

1. Cross game chat/Party Chat added
    2. Require demos for all PSN games
    3. Add trophy auto-sync for all PSN accounts, not just PSN+
    4. Change the game update size/install to be like XBL updates
    5. PSN on the web, like XBL on the web. Access to all the friends, features, store and more.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I chose the PSN because I am not a big online gamer. But I sure as hell hate spending $50+ a year on XBL Gold just to get things that the PS3 gives you without the added price. I do not even care about playing online, I just like to use the PS Store/Marketplace and download stuff without waiting. Unlike the crappy Silver membership Microsoft offers. Can you even use Netflix and Hulu without a Gold membership? It is so ****ty if they still make you pay for their Gold crap when Sony does not.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    I chose PSN because i dont play online much and its free. If I was a dedicated online player i'd have to go with Xboxlive (being honest)

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    I choose psn i play online with friends maybe on weekends sometimes weekdays I don't feel like wasting 50 dollars on Live when I won't even be gaming online much It'll be a waste

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Editor & Moderator
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX
    I chose PlayStation Network. It's a shocker, I know.

There really is nothing particular about PSN that I think is better than XBL. The reason I'm a bigger fan of PSN is because I have more invested in it, more friends who use it, and it enables me to play online for free. In fact, the reason I'm an online gamer is because of PSN. When I booted up COD4 for the first time, I had no intention of venturing to the online multiplayer portion of the game. But because I had PSN (because it is free), I decided to give it a go. Now I play games online equally as much (likely more) than I play single player games.

With PSN and PS+ I can get nearly everything offered on XBL and for less. Obviously I don't get access to Twitter integration and online games like Gears of War and Halo, but that isn't enough in my opinion to make a full transition. Chances are I'll renew my XBL subscription at some point regardless, but PSN is just more suited for me.
    Read my work on Medium, my blog, and connect with me on Twitter.

Elite Guru

Items Naughty DogMetal Gear SolidPlayStation
    Xbox Live because I've had the least amount of problems with it over the other services and I find it incredible value for money.

I have a feeling a thread like this isn't going to end well..

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by emmerich View Post
    Xbox Live because I've had the least amount of problems with it over the other services and I find it incredible value for money. I have a feeling a thread like this isn't going to end well..
    I chose Live for the same reason as well as cross game voice chat. And inviting friends to your game is a snap. Plus I buy most of my multiplat games on 360.

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    I chose the PSN because I am not a big online gamer. But I sure as hell hate spending $50+ a year on XBL Gold just to get things that the PS3 gives you without the added price. I do not even care about playing online, I just like to use the PS Store/Marketplace and download stuff without waiting. Unlike the crappy Silver membership Microsoft offers. Can you even use Netflix and Hulu without a Gold membership? It is so ****ty if they still make you pay for their Gold crap when Sony does not.
    Sony doesn't have the features to charge for... plain and simple.

Funny stuff though... using ps store and marketplace to download stuff without waiting... If Xbox Live Silver (aka free) members have to wait to download something, so do PSN users. It's normally given to Gold members earlier than Silver and PSN. The OP was brilliant. There are a couple of things to add.

PSN - Sony hire someone, let them update the firmware so that you don't have multiple button presses to delete a single message.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Sony doesn't have the features to charge for... plain and simple.

Funny stuff though... using ps store and marketplace to download stuff without waiting... If Xbox Live Silver (aka free) members have to wait to download something, so do PSN users. It's normally given to Gold members earlier than Silver and PSN. The OP was brilliant. There are a couple of things to add.

PSN - Sony hire someone, let them update the firmware so that you don't have multiple button presses to delete a single message.
    Sony users do not always have to wait for demos. Many times they get it the same time as Xbox, sometimes sooner.

And Sony does not force you to pay an extra fee to use apps. Microsoft does..... Really nothing to argue there.

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Sony users do not always have to wait for demos. Many times they get it the same time as Xbox, sometimes sooner.

And Sony does not force you to pay an extra fee to use apps. Microsoft does..... Really nothing to argue there.
    A. Yes, if Silver users are having to wait for a demo, then PSN will not be getting it at that time either.
    B. Microsoft doesn't force anyone to pay for anything. I guess some people don't understand the concept of the Gold membership, and the benefits. It isn't any different than PS3 members having to pay for PS+ in order to use the benefits via PSN.

PS Unchained
    Items Protect yourselfNew User TitleTitle Style
    A. Yes, if Silver users are having to wait for a demo, then PSN will not be getting it at that time either.
    B. Microsoft doesn't force anyone to pay for anything. I guess some people don't understand the concept of the Gold membership, and the benefits. It isn't any different than PS3 members having to pay for PS+ in order to use the benefits via PSN.
    But what if i want to watch netflix? Oh ho i got to be a gold member? :/ what above lovefilm! Oh sorry gold members only! *turns ps3 on and accesses instantly*

Oh and you can access psn via andriod phones also though you cant send msgs which sucks you can view your friendlist

Thank you itachi

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS

What are you talking about? PSN does get many demos the same time as gold users and sometimes sooner. I can name The Walking Dead right off the top of my head.

And PS users do not need to pay for PS+ to use apps like Netflix, Hulu, MLB, NHL, NFL channels, etc. Microsoft forces you to pay for Gold to use these services. I do not understand how you can try to argue this? This is one you will not win.

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Quote Originally Posted by Chille View Post
    But what if i want to watch netflix? Oh ho i got to be a gold member? :/ what above lovefilm! Oh sorry gold members only! *turns ps3 on and accesses instantly*

Oh and you can access psn via andriod phones also though you cant send msgs which sucks you can view your friendlist
    It's still a members benefit. Period. Ya know... Microsoft doesn't charge for Netflix. They charge for Gold membership, which includes all the features they bring to that subscription. So how much does Microsoft charge for each Gold feature? $1 per month?

What are you talking about? PSN does get many demos the same time as gold users and sometimes sooner. I can name The Walking Dead right off the top of my head.

And PS users do not need to pay for PS+ to use apps like Netflix, Hulu, MLB, NHL, NFL channels, etc. Microsoft forces you to pay for Gold to use these services. I do not understand how you can try to argue this? This is one you will not win.
    Silver gets the demo the same time PSN does. I'm not arguing whether you pay for Xbox Live Gold. However, the price isn't increased every time they add a feature to that subscription. You already know all this though.

PS Unchained
    It's still a members benefit. Period. Ya know... Microsoft doesn't charge for Netflix. They charge for Gold membership, which includes all the features they bring to that subscription. So how much does Microsoft charge for each Gold feature? $1 per month?

Silver gets the demo the same time PSN does. I'm not arguing whether you pay for Xbox Live Gold. However, the price isn't increased every time they add a feature to that subscription. You already know all this though.
    Outside of america there arent that many features plus they need to make tiers for people who dont give a **** about most of them, i wont ever touch the sport aps, and cross game chat.

Thank you itachi

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Ummmm, not always. As I already said once or twice, the PSN does get demos before Xbox silver and gold. You are not stating facts at all there.

And yes I do know that Microsoft forces you to pay to use services the Sony lets you use without paying them more money. And yes, Microsoft has changed their Gold price twice already. And they sure as hell did not lower the price lol.

PS Unchained
    Ummmm, not always. As I already said once or twice, the PSN does get demos before Xbox silver and gold. You are not stating facts at all there.

And yes I do know that Microsoft forces you to pay to use services the Sony lets you use without paying them more money. And yes, Microsoft has changed their Gold price twice already. And they sure as hell did not lower the price lol.
    I was expectıng a price increase from sony after the free game announcement lol

Thank you itachi

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    I was expectıng a price increase from sony after the free game announcement lol
    What was the last free retail game Microsoft gave out? Fable 2? lol Hell, I would think Microsoft would be handing out free games as well. Stingy bastards!!!!!

PS Unchained
    What was the last free retail game Microsoft gave out? Fable 2? lol Hell, I would think Microsoft would be handing out free games as well. Stingy bastards!!!!!
    They are sort of right now i think with this scratch card thing but its random if you win or not and you can do it once per real life day.

Thank you itachi

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Outside of america there arent that many features plus they need to make tiers for people who dont give a **** about most of them, i wont ever touch the sport aps, and cross game chat.
    If you won't benefit from using the Gold membership, then don't subscribe to it.

Ugh... If it gets a demo before Xbox Live does, that doesn't have anything to do with Gold or Silver lol. My comment was about you placing PSN usage over Xbox Live because you have to wait for demos on Xbox Live. We might have gone off track here.
    Second... Xbox Live price has only increased once as far as Gold membership goes. August 2010 this was announced. Took place November 2010.

Elite Sage
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DS
    All things said: Live seems to be a better service. However, I chose PSN because it's the only one I've ever used and I can't speak out of experience.
    |My Playfire|My Deviantart|
    - SIG BY MY SISTER-

PS Unchained
    If you won't benefit from using the Gold membership, then don't subscribe to it.

Ugh... If it gets a demo before Xbox Live does, that doesn't have anything to do with Gold or Silver lol. My comment was about you placing PSN usage over Xbox Live because you have to wait for demos on Xbox Live. We might have gone off track here.
    Second... Xbox Live price has only increased once as far as Gold membership goes. August 2010 this was announced. Took place November 2010.
    You cant play online without it.

Thank you itachi

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    We might have gone off track here.

First, I have no problem smacking the hell out of an injured man!

Second, I am on track. I never left the track. I live on the track!!!!!!

PS Unchained
    First, I have no problem smacking the hell out of an injured man!

Second, I am on track. I never left the track. I live on the track!!!!!!

Im confused what is this track people talk off? Is this it?

Thank you itachi

Soldier 95B
    If you pay for PSN+, how is it that the games are free? You pay for the service, and you lose the game after you discontinue the service. That isn't free games. That is renting. I never got a one of the rental games when I had PSN+, but I assume the game doesn't work if you are offline?

PS Unchained
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    If you pay for PSN+, how is it that the games are free? You pay for the service, and you lose the game after you discontinue the service. That isn't free games. That is renting. I never got a one of the rental games when I had PSN+, but I assume the game doesn't work if you are offline?
    The games work fine offline as long as its on the account with plus.

Thank you itachi

Thread Information