Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    young rich and tasteless
    Items ChelseaPS3 Fat
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    The problem is the psu forum section is seperate from everything else. You go to ps3 games and bam all the games stuff you need from everywhere. go to psu section. Just stuff posted by psu.
    "Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life"

Quote Originally Posted by dc89 View Post
    If this makes time travel possible I'll go forward in time voluntarily to get my hands on CoD34 and Final Fantasy Versus XIII. They come out in the same year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seahawkk View Post
    I dont think i could take a dick, 1. im not gay and 2 one time i stuck my finger in my butt to see how it felt and i wasn't very pleased with the experience

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuguy View Post
    Pretty sure that is what we are going to do. The preview was crap and broken, and the comment system on the homepage is virtually unmoddable.
    Sounds really good

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Yeah, gotta get what Tut and I explained put into place properly. Like he said, we talked about this a couple years ago at best, and it was basically ignored. The new bot was put into place instead and it doesn't jive really well with the forums.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrelbo1 View Post
    The problem is the psu forum section is seperate from everything else. You go to ps3 games and bam all the games stuff you need from everywhere. go to psu section. Just stuff posted by psu.
    I don't get how that is a "problem" so to speak.

It is a place to capture and summarize the PSU news and content all in one, OR, let it get muddled and lost in the other sections.

That is my view. Who knows, it might work out better your way, but that is up to the content team since they will be doing the posting.
    LMAO

Veteran
    Items User name styleE3PS3 Slim
    Just an fyi - we turned the bot off this morning and the writers have been instructed to post original content in their respective forums to get the community engaged.

Honestly, guys, we need you all to be PSU soldiers. This business of the homepage and forums being enemies, or completely foreign absolutely has to end today. Work with me, guys. Rob and I talk about this stuff all the time and we are genuinely trying to get this thing working. Do you want forum threads on the homepage? Do you want the homepage to serve as the hub (so to speak) for the community?

We're going to try to hide that PSU.com forum for now and get original content inside the forums where it belongs. But we need your help moving forward. Spread the word about our original content. If you noticed, we are responsive if you guys don't like something. We are experimenting to try to get this thing moving, so we're all about working with you to make your site bigger and better.

6. Likes Ixion likes this post
    young rich and tasteless
    Items ChelseaPS3 Fat
    I don't get how that is a "problem" so to speak.

It is a place to capture and summarize the PSU news and content all in one, OR, let it get muddled and lost in the other sections.

That is my view. Who knows, it might work out better your way, but that is up to the content team since they will be doing the posting.
    The thing is you need to compel me to go there. And I have no reason to. If we could choose to hide/show entire sections of the forum it would be the first one to go for me. I prefer my stuff all in one place. Yeah some things get lost but I get 99% of what i need. I get most of my gaming news from reddit now because bits pop up on my home page.

EDIT: just remembered you can minimise sections.
    Last edited by squirrelbo1; 07-13-2012 at 17:15.
    "Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life"

If this makes time travel possible I'll go forward in time voluntarily to get my hands on CoD34 and Final Fantasy Versus XIII. They come out in the same year.
    I dont think i could take a dick, 1. im not gay and 2 one time i stuck my finger in my butt to see how it felt and i wasn't very pleased with the experience

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    I am not trying to stir anything up, but I do think the home page posts news late. Many times I see the news posted by members well before it reaches the home page. Sometimes hours later, and sometimes days later.

Veteran
    Would you guys send us tips via email?

young rich and tasteless
    Items ChelseaPS3 Fat
    oh just so you know the podcast is awesome.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Quote Originally Posted by adamdolge View Post
    Would you guys send us tips via email?
    It would be nice if we had a tab like the Feedback tab where we can submit the news right away to you guys.

12. Likes RaY_210 , Ghost likes this post
    Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    It would be nice if we had a tab like the Feedback tab where we can submit the news right away to you guys.
    Cool, we can definitely work on that.

14. Likes Ghost , Lethal likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    Good idea.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    We're going to try to hide that PSU.com forum for now and get original content inside the forums where it belongs. But we need your help moving forward. Spread the word about our original content. If you noticed, we are responsive if you guys don't like something. We are experimenting to try to get this thing moving, so we're all about working with you to make your site bigger and better.
    This is a great first step. One question though. What if a member posts the same story before you guys? Will you simply post the PSU article in the thread? Should we have multiple threads? Should the staff merge the threads and put the PSU article in the OP?
    Last edited by Ixion; 07-13-2012 at 18:43.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    This is a great first step. One question though. What if a member posts the same story before you guys? Will you simply post the PSU article in the thread? Should we have multiple threads? Should the staff merge the threads and put the PSU article in the OP?
    Merging is fine, if you guys are into that. It'll probably take some time for us to get used to the process, but it would be great to have the PSU as the OP article.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    it would be great to have the PSU as the OP article.
    That's the problem though. I'm not sure how to put a new post as the OP. I'll look into it, or maybe someone can help me out.

So I'm guessing we would just have to edit the OP and put the PSU article in there, as well as making a new post and letting everyone know the PSU article has been added.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    We cannot insert a post before others. Each post, like each thread, has a numerical designation. We can't override that. Best we can do is make a new thread with the PSU stuff as OP, then copy the other posts into that thread with a merge.

Or if a PSU one already exists, do a merge with the PSU one as the parent forum
    LMAO

Elite Sage
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DS
    What about adding tags to your articles and make those news post automatically in the forums? That way, we don't have to find a way to share other news from other sites and post them here.

Say, you tag an article with the Vita tag and that article is automatically posted in the Vita section. Is that even feasible?
    |My Playfire|My Deviantart|
    - SIG BY MY SISTER-

PSU Editor-in-chief
    PSN ID
    geist226
    Items User name styleFull Metal AlchemistYunaGuerrilla GamesNaughty DogDaft PunkDeus Ex HR AdamAtlusFinal Fantasy X
    From my experience as PSU.com's newest writer, we absolutely work our asses off bringing you guys coverage as early and as exclusive as possible.

Take my Borderlands 2 coverage that went live this morning. Acquiring that information was an exhausting three day trip that left me up running on fumes at 4 AM typing my impressions and news posts.

For all that work, much of which is brand-new "scoop" information that went live as soon as the embargo lifted, we're getting s*** for hits on aggregate sites like N4G, and even on our own page. It's depressing at best, and disheartening at worst.

I'm not gonna go back and link to all of them, but I can say from firsthand experience that a great deal of my news posts in the last few weeks have been the first of their kind from a site our size.

The problem with visibility, networking, and mutual support is why we're coming to you, the community, for help. We want to build the best possible site for you, but if current trends continue, that may well become very very difficult.

My immense thanks goes out to forum members and PSU readers who already do a great deal to support our work and share it with others. You know who you are, and your readership is more of a blessing than you know.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Best we can do is make a new thread with the PSU stuff as OP, then copy the other posts into that thread with a merge.
    While the title would change to what we want, the OP will still be the member's OP. So I guess we'll just have to live with the PSU article not being in the OP for those cases.

Unless the staff edits it in, which would be a little messy, but it's the only solution I can think of.

Ultimate Veteran
    Macrumors let's the original person posting about the subject keep the thread but it's moved to their news section in the forum. Their article on the subject is then posted in the thread. Most of the time, obviously, they are first to post about it and the bot create the thread though. If somebody makes a thread on that news after the news thread has been designated they merge them more often than not. This is ideal in my world.
    Other opinions are available.

Veteran
    So not to make things too completely messy... but we're even toying with the idea of making this whole process work in reverse. What i mean here is forum posts that are popular, tagged, or something along those lines (still figuring it out) will also get posted to the homepage as an article. That means if we have a really great debate going on in the forums, it will be on the homepage, or even those of you that like posting breaking news can get that info on the homepage.

The way I see it, and please speak up if this puts you off, the homepage should almost serve as the "hub" for PSU--forums and content. Picture coming to PSU.com, landing on the homepage, seeing the absolute newest news on the web, the most popular user discussions of the day, the most popular games of the day featured with latest screens and videos, and the most popular/newest user-generated and staff-created content all in one accessible place.

I know right now this sounds complicated, and it definitely is, but I think this is likely the direction we should take the homepage.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    berts08
    Items User name styleManchester United
Gift received at 11-19-2011 from Cuguy
Message: couldn't find a reason the shop would deny you the purchase, so here ya go
    Get more writers from each part of the world who is willing to do it, its not rocket science. I know you cant pay for them but you will find a few suckers to do it, also take tuts advice for gods sake and stop ignoring it.

“Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” Arthur C. Clarke

PSN ID: berts08

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    1. I never read the front page I go directly to the forum
    2. In the past the forum post in the news section that "links" to the article is always incomplete
    3. It never directly links to the article
    4. Using the comments sction to discuss is counter productive its why there exists a discussion forum
    5. Logging into the forum doesnt log in to the front page and passwords are not remembered
    Last edited by keefy; 07-13-2012 at 23:24.

Friendship is Carrots
    Why do I get the impression that the community is being placed at fault for this disparage?
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    I've always thought of this place as place to chill and talk about games and all. Most of the head news I see in the forums side I didn't find interesting because it was automated and showed half of the article. I admit I'm part of the people who post threads and link em to other sites because you didn't report on it or you posted it late. Just my 2 cents in this

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Thread Information