Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 ... LastLast
    Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    Why do I get the impression that the community is being placed at fault for this disparage?
    it's not. We just want to know why there is such a disconnect between the forum community and their support of the content?

However, we must mention that in order for a site to really make advancements, it is not entirely the responsibility of the staff. Members must make good posts, repost our news and information ,spread word of mouth, etc.. and right now it isn't happening. We are also seeing, as the writer above said, minimalhits on our own site, meaning not even our own members are looking at the articles outside of the forums.

We can't put sole blame anywhere here, all we are trying to do is find out how to engage the community with the content and start building a great system. That way when PS4 hits, we are set to be a new community with a great support system in place.

But in order for that to happen, we need to get the house in order and spot problems.
    LMAO

Superior Member
    As a newcomer I would like to say that one of the reasons I would not link to my Twitter or Facebook to a thread here is the amount of profanity I have seen in my short time I've been a member. Personally, I have no problem with it but I would never lead someone here that it could offend.
    I don't need no stinkin' signature!

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Man Gamer View Post
    As a newcomer I would like to say that one of the reasons I would not link to my Twitter or Facebook to a thread here is the amount of profanity I have seen in my short time I've been a member. Personally, I have no problem with it but I would never lead someone here that it could offend.
    We actually used to have it censored. ALL of it. However, it was a strong wish by the community to stop being treated like children.

I understand your view though, and it can be off-setting to see the language. However, it is no more prominent here than you will see in any PG-13 or higher movie.
    LMAO

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuguy View Post
    it's not. We just want to know why there is such a disconnect between the forum community and their support of the content?

However, we must mention that in order for a site to really make advancements, it is not entirely the responsibility of the staff. Members must make good posts, repost our news and information ,spread word of mouth, etc.. and right now it isn't happening. We are also seeing, as the writer above said, minimalhits on our own site, meaning not even our own members are looking at the articles outside of the forums.

We can't put sole blame anywhere here, all we are trying to do is find out how to engage the community with the content and start building a great system. That way when PS4 hits, we are set to be a new community with a great support system in place.

But in order for that to happen, we need to get the house in order and spot problems.
    I've never considered the PSU homepage anything to do with the forums. That is the same thought I have about IGN, Gamespot, and any other combinations like this. That seems to be how most members see it.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    I've never considered the PSU homepage anything to do with the forums. That is the same thought I have about IGN, Gamespot, and any other combinations like this. That seems to be how most members see it.
    it's not how the current site management wants it any longer. Truthfully, it is hard to bind the two communities, but it has worked wonders on some other sites Mr. B is part of, so we feel we need to try it here.
    LMAO

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I understand the desire to do it. Nothing wrong with that. I was posting that because of the part of the quote:
    That's why this isn't going to really become a key to binding them.

YouTube Editor
    Items Tommy VercettiUser name styleModern Warfare 3
    I am going to be honest here. I DO NOT come here EVER to read articles or to view ANY other part of PSU, besides this very forum. The forum community here is a very diverse group, and we together as a group discuss at length all things gaming related (as well as other misc. topics) in a mature, well rounded way. I have been here for 7 years, long before the "PSU" name came into fruition, and it started getting involved into other areas, outside of offering just a forum. PSU is still young in age when compared to other big name players in the "content" world. Competing with some would be almost impossible given the degree of content PSU pumps out compared to them. If anything breaks onto the Internet, I guarantee another web source will document it before PSU, and being the type of community we are it will quickly be located, posted here, and discussed, before an article even arises on PSU regarding this particular news. The strong suit of this place is the forum, and its members. We have grown together since 2003 (I think), and many members/visitors come here solely for what is being discussed, and how it is discussed. Creating an image outside of this forum in other areas will be tough, with so many other sites out there with the same agenda. This forum is easily the strongest part of PSU, so expanding beyond that is the tricky part. I am not saying it can't be done, but it won't be easy. Asking members to do work in "advertising" PSU is not wrong, but expecting them to do it is. Again, I am not saying this is what is being asked, but if so priorities need to be checked ASAP.

8 years and counting!

8. Likes F34R likes this post
    Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    I wasn't telling them to "advertise" the site.

The question was simple, why do our members shun the news as it is reported on our homepage in favor of other sites?

Then, I put it out how members can help get our word out. They don't have to. Most won't in fact, but everyone who tweets or Facebooks our articles potentially reaches thousands of readers.
    LMAO

YouTube Editor
    Well I hope my post answered your main question. I was as honest as I could possibly be. Again though that is just my personal opinion, and others may vary in huge ways.

8 years and counting!

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuguy View Post
    We actually used to have it censored. ALL of it. However, it was a strong wish by the community to stop being treated like children.

I understand your view though, and it can be off-setting to see the language. However, it is no more prominent here than you will see in any PG-13 or higher movie.
    Do you think you're losing more by allowing profanity or by allowing it? The profanity isn't really widespread but seems to be concentrated to a few very active posters.

I do not wish to be critical and please accept my apologies if I am coming across that way. I'm just throwing out an observation.

The funny thing is that the few that use it a lot really don't even know how to use it. It doesn't even come across as funny when they use it. It almost seems forced and that they are doing it just to do it instead of doing it at the appropriate times.
    I don't need no stinkin' signature!

Editor & Moderator
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX
    I'm glad that most of us can agree that the blame shouldn't go on any single group. As Kyle illustrated for us, the content team works tirelessly to bring content to the site and does a very good job in doing so. That doesn't change that the content isn't showing up on PSU first. That doesn't mean it's of lower quality, or that it shouldn't be recognized, but it's obviously a big problem, especially with a community that prides itself on being up-to-date. Hell, if some of the old news posters were still around I think this problem would be much bigger. It seems to me that the obvious choice would be to start bringing on a new writer every so often. Getting a few new writers on board (one at a time, if necessary) would do a great deal to keep us up to speed if the new writers are as dedicated as the old. The PSU Writer's Army certainly proved that there are at least a few members out there who'd be willing to write without pay for the site.

I think that the other issue is a habitual one. Why do I often check IGN over PSU's main page? Because that's where I've always gone. It's nothing personal towards the writing team, as I love their writing, it's just a matter of habit. I want news? That's the place to go. Again, it isn't the content team's fault. They're working around the clock to bring us the content they do and we as the community really need to start being more responsive to it, but the underlying fact that many gamers simply choose other news sites out of habit remains.

The single greatest solution would be to work towards making PSU become a reckoning force in the gaming news world. We keep saying that the PSU content team doesn't get news out before other websites. Why is that? Certainly there are ways we can at least work towards fixing that issue. The task may be daunting, but that doesn't mean it can be ignored.
    Read my work on Medium, my blog, and connect with me on Twitter.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    RaYU84
    Items Iron Maiden3DSBaby ChocoboDr. DreDragon Ball Z3DSPS3 SlimNintendo 64TOOLPink FloydAC/DCFuturama
    I've got an idea. As a community, we register on other sites, and begin spamming the hell out of their stories and comments. That'll bring the quality of posts down in those places and people will start looking for places with higher quality commenters. Enter PSU. Problem solved!
    Thanks to THUGGEDOUT for the sig, The Black Wolf for the av.
    Life's too short to be sober! Drunk with power!

14. Likes Ixion , Justin likes this post
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by ray_210 View Post
    i've got an idea. As a community, we register on other sites, and begin spamming the hell out of their stories and comments. That'll bring the quality of posts down in those places and people will start looking for places with higher quality commenters. Enter psu. Problem solved!
    genius!!

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

16. Likes Justin , RaY_210 likes this post
    YouTube Editor
    Quote Originally Posted by RaY_210 View Post
    I've got an idea. As a community, we register on other sites, and begin spamming the hell out of their stories and comments. That'll bring the quality of posts down in those places and people will start looking for places with higher quality commenters. Enter PSU. Problem solved!
    I recommend you for Admin!

8 years and counting!

18. Likes RaY_210 likes this post
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    **Ray_210 for Mod 2012**

Can i be campaign manager! lol

Ive actively been trying to read an comment on PSU stories. I'll make sure if i outsource a story on a thread its NOT SONY or Playstation related

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

20. Likes RaY_210 likes this post
    Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    RaYU84
    Items Iron Maiden3DSBaby ChocoboDr. DreDragon Ball Z3DSPS3 SlimNintendo 64TOOLPink FloydAC/DCFuturama
    Quote Originally Posted by justintheman87 View Post
    I recommend you for Admin!
    Quote Originally Posted by DeviousOne View Post
    **Ray_210 for Mod 2012**

Can i be campaign manager! lol

Ive actively been trying to read an comment on PSU stories. I'll make sure if i outsource a story on a thread its NOT SONY or Playstation related
    Lol Thanks guys.
    Thanks to THUGGEDOUT for the sig, The Black Wolf for the av.
    Life's too short to be sober! Drunk with power!

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Good points.

RE: the news posting of game-related news, if it isn't on here, then I'll post it from wherever I see it first. I will however, make an effort to check the PSU front page first then move on.
    Be Together - Not the same.

Master Guru
    Items User name style
    No offense but the front page is dead and I don't look at the front page anymore cause there's normally like 1 or 2 comments in there and not enough people participate

People just do whatever they want, I wouldn't call this much of a community as it was before

How can you make people start caring again? i have no clue

Also I personally stop caring when there are topics brought up such as fixing the forum navigation, someone says they're working on it and nothing happens for weeks. When my boss at work tells me that he's going to do something and he doesn't do it, he can do jump off a bridge.
    Last edited by Shin Asura; 12-28-2012 at 03:15.

Huge thanks to my awesome friend Finalreaper for the sig!!

24. Likes Justin likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    man i agree, but to fill in the caps. I search the net for news off all kinds

if you put in a thread about boobs or guns, you will get a posting pile on
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Quote Originally Posted by Shin Asura View Post
    Also I personally stop caring when there are topics brought up such as fixing the forum navigation, someone says they're working on it and nothing happens for weeks.
    Anto, our programmer, is the only one who can fix technical issues. The most Cuguy can do is check on him and make sure issues are reported and prioritized.

Anto is kind of a wild card, to be perfectly honest. He's a part-time employee who works for all of Mr. B's sites, not just PSU. So it depends when he can focus on PSU, and sometimes the higher-ups need him to focus on other sites for weeks at a time.

Cuguy has prioritized the issues that popped up after the forum upgrade, but now we have to wait on Anto.

Master Guru
    Items User name style
    That's cool, thanks for the explanation

I have to say one more thing though in regards to how I feel about this place, people stop visiting the forum and move on, it's hard for me to deal with it because i'm normally used to seeing those people around and they aren't around anymore so I stop contributing.

I think the group that I belonged to left and there aren't enough of them around anymore so I feel like i"m not a part of this place. I try posting and helping out but there's only so much I can do before I get tired of it

Huge thanks to my awesome friend Finalreaper for the sig!!

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    One part-time programmer per multiple sites is a $#@!ing joke.

29. Likes Justin likes this post
    Selected Members Council
    FonFahbre left because of the technical issues. I wouldn't be surprised if more leave before Bishop and Anto get around to addressing them.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 12-28-2012 at 10:38.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksite View Post
    FonFahbre left because of the technical issues with the site. I wouldn't be surprised if more leave before Bishop and Anto get around to addressing them.
    As they said it multiple times, they dont care about the forum as its just a minor part of the website, they only care about the websites news, homepage etc.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    well i wont left, because all forums have problems and changes are a pain. But if you stay loyal it all pays off in the end
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Thread Information