Page 1 of 6 1 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 156

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Elite Sage
    Cuguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Age
    40
    Posts
    11,744
    Rep Power
    135
    Points
    3,496,956 (212,741 Banked)
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

    A Question to the Community

    Here at PSU, our content team works their tails off to bring the latest news, reviews and previews. However, for each article they post covering a press release, or whatever, a member here (no specific one) will post the same themed article FROM ANOTHER SITE for discussion.

    So question #1. Why? Why post a link that awards the other site with hits when the same subject with PSU's article can be discussed. Often times we all get the same press releases, or media packs, yet we still take a backseat in our own forums so people can post from N4G or IGN. What prevents PSU members from viewing, commenting on, and posting PSU articles?

    Question #2 - Do you as a community realize that by supporting our writers by Facebooking their stories, spreading links on Twitter, posting OUR links on other forums, etc.. all is extremely beneficial to our site? One 500 follower Twitter account could potentially get our news into the hands of 20,000 people. All it takes is our members doing what our staff is already doing and that is posting our news on other sites, not the other way around.

    You guys always come to us asking things like "can we get themes for the site?" or "why is this feature still hosed?" and often the answer is, we have to prioritize based on funds.
    To give you an idea of where we stand. Based solely on community support, a rival site with 1/10 of the people we have registered and/or active makes about 5 times the revenue. Reason is their communities hype the $#@! out of their own site.

    Like it or leave it, social media and word of mouth are huge for sites like ours. However, when we bring it to the community it is met with insane indignation, or annoyance. It seems to us as staff that members expect the site to flourish with no help from the community. That it is a staff issue to fix. Well, it can't be fixed by staff to bring in more members if at every turn our own members aren't even supporting our site.

    so in an effort to coerce you folks into helping us out, we are going to roll out a rewards program for PSU Supporters. This is going to be a perk only available to subscribers at this time to give them a reason for being subscribers. Details are going to be hashed out, but here is the skinny; we want people to tweet, retweet, post, whatever it takes to get our articles in other peoples' hands. As a reward for doing so, subscribers will have the following benefits:


    • Chance to win games
    • First access to exclusive content
    • More chances to win hard to find Beta keys contests through sub/supporter only contests.
    • monthly / (weekly?) awards in SP for most articles shared (verifiable of course)
    • Rewards for recruiting new subscribers (free sub extension, games, whatever we can come up with)... # of new subs req'd will be determined.


    We want PSU to be as much community driven as it is content driven. You guys are the ones with thousands of contacts on your sites, Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, etc.. YOU are our untapped resource for growing the PSU community.

    So please, let us know the answers to my questions. What do you subs think of the new perks?
    LMAO

  2. #2
    Ultimate Veteran
    Tutankhamun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Age
    24
    Posts
    21,503
    Rep Power
    131
    Points
    2,334 (16,356 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Two years ago* I suggested a solution on question 1. Do that and you won't have that issue.
    Other opinions are available.

  3. #3
    Elite Sage
    Cuguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Age
    40
    Posts
    11,744
    Rep Power
    135
    Points
    3,496,956 (212,741 Banked)
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    So you propose disabling the homepage comment section completely right?
    LMAO

  4. #4
    Ultimate Veteran
    Tutankhamun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Age
    24
    Posts
    21,503
    Rep Power
    131
    Points
    2,334 (16,356 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuguy View Post
    So you propose disabling the homepage comment section completely right?
    I mean that's up to you really. But Macrumors has such a solution. On their articles, on the frontpage, the comments link leads to the forum. Check it out on macrumors.com
    Other opinions are available.

  5. #5
    Trying not to break stuff...
    DarkVincent07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Age
    22
    Posts
    17,340
    Rep Power
    109
    Points
    48,994 (0 Banked)
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tutankhamun View Post
    I mean that's up to you really. But Macrumors has such a solution. On their articles, on the frontpage, the comments link leads to the forum. Check it out on macrumors.com
    If we could do this it would be awesome !

    It would promote more comments, views and attention towards PSU articles, and also negate the creation of heaps of threads of the same topic

  6. #6
    Administrator
    Ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Posts
    12,932
    Rep Power
    134
    Points
    6,813,331 (100,956 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkVincent07 View Post
    If we could do this it would be awesome !

    It would promote more comments, views and attention towards PSU articles, and also negate the creation of heaps of threads of the same topic
    I agree, I think this is a great solution.

  7. #7
    Editor & Moderator
    Steve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Columbia, MO
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX
    Age
    19
    Posts
    8,133
    Rep Power
    78
    Points
    6,879 (0 Banked)
    These questions definitely needed to asked. I know I've been guilty in the past of posting articles from other sites, and it was never really a mindful action. There are tons of new articles on PSU's front page every single day, all of which could generate considerable discussion in the forums. Additionally, the variety our news stories have would undoubtedly bring in loads of users if everyone chipped in and starting sharing things more.

    Like Tut, I did propose a solution awhile back to help improve the interconnectedness of the main page and forums. At MacRumors, whenever a blog post is made on their front page, a thread is automatically made in a news section. PSU has all of that. We're halfway there. The difference between our section and theirs is that virtually no discussion goes on in ours, while MacRumors is getting a minimum of 50 posts per news thread. Why? Because not only are the news articles linked to the forums, but the comments are as well. Any article comment made is instantly translated into a forum post, meaning users who generally hang around the home page would suddenly have a place in the forums. We could have it work both ways, too, by making forum posts in said section translate into main page comments, generating discussion on all fronts. I don't know the specific vBulletin feature that makes this possible, but it's obviously out there somewhere. And perhaps this isn't something PSU can acquire yet, and that's fine. I think the initiative you've taken with this thread should be enough to draw users to the site, I simply think that the feature I mentioned above would also help to solve this issue.

    Edit:
    For the short version, see Tut's post.
    Read my work on Medium, my blog, and connect with me on Twitter.

  8. #8
    Super Carlton
    33x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    SW London
    PSN ID
    JMEWalterblack
    Age
    33
    Posts
    13,716
    Rep Power
    105
    Points
    34,688 (0 Banked)
    Items PS3 Slim360 SlimiPhone 4 BlackGears of WarGoogle ChromeManchester UnitedUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    But our guys are not as quick as getting news as say IGN etc......i can post a link from an external source before our guys get it.......

    Thanks to Final for the sick sig!

  9. #9
    Elite Sage
    Cuguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Age
    40
    Posts
    11,744
    Rep Power
    135
    Points
    3,496,956 (212,741 Banked)
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by three3-times View Post
    But our guys are not as quick as getting news as say IGN etc......i can post a link from an external source before our guys get it.......
    Not an excuse.

    More often than not, we have the stuff posted 1st, or at a minimum the same time. It doesn't matter, the community will not even discuss our content.
    LMAO

  10. #10
    Super Carlton
    33x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    SW London
    PSN ID
    JMEWalterblack
    Age
    33
    Posts
    13,716
    Rep Power
    105
    Points
    34,688 (0 Banked)
    Items PS3 Slim360 SlimiPhone 4 BlackGears of WarGoogle ChromeManchester UnitedUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuguy View Post
    Not an excuse.

    More often than not, we have the stuff posted 1st, or at a minimum the same time. It doesn't matter, the community will not even discuss our content.
    I pay little attention to our news, i come to the fourm 1st and foremost to do my job and see whats going on. with the lull in gaming atm doesnt really help. but if its news i want, ill go to ign or eurogamer.

    i kinda forget that we have a news page

    Will do more to promote that $#@! boss!

    Thanks to Final for the sick sig!

  11. #11
    Dave
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuguy View Post
    Not an excuse.

    More often than not, we have the stuff posted 1st, or at a minimum the same time. It doesn't matter, the community will not even discuss our content.
    I disagree greatly here. That isn't an excuse at all. It's a fact and a problem that has plagued the content side of the site for years now.

    If the content was posted at PSU first, it would be raping the social media scene with link throughs and through degrees and up votes at news aggregate websites, but it is hardly doing either.

    Unless the content side gains contributors that are goal-oriented towards speeds of information and geared towards creation of new information through secondary information -- the problem to question number one will never be solved.

  12. #12
    Elite Sage
    Cuguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Age
    40
    Posts
    11,744
    Rep Power
    135
    Points
    3,496,956 (212,741 Banked)
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    I disagree greatly here. That isn't an excuse at all. It's a fact and a problem that has plagued the content side of the site for years now.

    If the content was posted at PSU first, it would be raping the social media scene with link throughs and through degrees and up votes at news aggregate websites, but it is hardly doing either.

    Unless the content side gains contributors that are goal-oriented towards speeds of information and geared towards creation of new information through secondary information -- the problem to question number one will never be solved.
    At the very least it is a partial excuse. We have posted the exact same topic as someone like IGN BEFORE they do, and yet still the community will post and discuss the IGN article before they even check to see if PSU posted the same information.

    This is not solely a content team not getting out there issue, this is a community involvement with the content issue as well and we want to know why.
    LMAO

  13. #13
    Dave
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuguy View Post
    At the very least it is a partial excuse. We have posted the exact same topic as someone like IGN BEFORE they do, and yet still the community will post and discuss the IGN article before they even check to see if PSU posted the same information.

    This is not solely a content team not getting out there issue, this is a community involvement with the content issue as well and we want to know why.
    It sucks to hear, but it is solely a content team issue, but it isn't the content team's fault that it's like that. It's how the community has been trained to work due to how the content team has been ran since pretty much day one, yet a lot on the content side has changed in the sense of determination (too long to explain since I'm typing on an iPad).

    If the community is trained to realize that PSU is generally late on most news (which it has been for years), it has no reason to even bother checking to see if PSU has the same information or not whether it be first or at the same time because they never had to before and never thought of doing so either because it was pointless.

  14. #14
    Administrator
    Ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Posts
    12,932
    Rep Power
    134
    Points
    6,813,331 (100,956 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    I post stuff from other sites as I see it. Sometimes the news doesn't even make it to the PSU front page. I remember there was a thread made some time ago by one of the staff asking for us to help PSU find breaking news stories. We need to be as up to date as sites like CVG imo. Also, I think the WHOLE article should be posted by this auto posting bot that makes a thread when a news article is posted. At the moment it just posts a paragraph and then links to the front page. I think it's fair to say that most of us here don't really like discussing on the main page because it's not really as enjoyable to use as the forum is. If the front page comments section was closer to the forum in this regard, I think people would be more inclined to have the discussion there. I think I've drifted OT lol. Basically...

    If there is news I want to discuss on the front page i'll link it. but generally the stuff I wanna discuss or post hits other sites first, and stays unhit by PSU for too long.

    Having the whole article posted in the forum in the PSU section or having better post options on the main page is a solution.

  15. #15
    Veteran
    adamdolge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Age
    32
    Posts
    4,261
    Rep Power
    50
    Points
    31,692 (0 Banked)
    Items User name styleE3PS3 Slim
    Yes, big sites will beat us because they have a lot more writers than we have. However, we try very hard to get the major PS-related news as fast as we can. I completely understand that sometimes we aren't fast enough. To be honest, we don't have the manpower to fix that. So, let's come up with a solution to that. The vast majority of news on websites comes from press releases--stuff like new screen shots, videos, new release dates, etc. How would you guys feel about replacing your original link with a link to PSU's homepage version once we get ours live?

    We've tried many ways of reminding the community to check the homepage, but nothing has worked. In fact, this is as bad as it's been in a long, long time. I say that because this is the best content we've had in my three years on the content team.

    How about if the writers start new threads in their respective categories and try to get discussion? Hopefully you guys noticed that most of us writers use you all as a representative of the PlayStation Fan. We link back to your forum threads, we ask you questions, we offer competitions, etc. We're at a point where we need to work together and come up with some solutions to keep moving forward, and if we can't get our own community on our side, how can we convince new people to join us?

  16. #16
    Supreme Veteran
    Ixion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    New York
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Age
    24
    Posts
    19,970
    Rep Power
    162
    Points
    72,649 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I think it goes both ways. The members need to spread the word more, but as the staff, there are still some things we need to do. It's hard to ask the members for their full support when the main site comments and forum comments are not connected, the full articles aren't posted in the forum, and those news threads have their own section away from the regular discussion threads.

    So we need to streamline things a bit more first IMO.

    I'm not sure if the news threads are automated, but maybe we should do away with the separate section and post our news threads in the right forums? And if we post the entire article, that's fixing two problems right there. Then we would just need to work on connecting the site and forum.

  17. #17
    Elite Sage
    Cuguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Age
    40
    Posts
    11,744
    Rep Power
    135
    Points
    3,496,956 (212,741 Banked)
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    I'm not sure if the news threads are automated, but maybe we should do away with the separate section and post our news threads in the right forums? And if we post the entire article, that's fixing two problems right there. Then we would just need to work on connecting the site and forum.
    We used to have an automatic thread generation bot that posted in PSU.com when the article was posted to the homepage.

    We have disabled that now and the content guys will be posting their own threads.
    LMAO

  18. #18
    Trying not to break stuff...
    DarkVincent07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Age
    22
    Posts
    17,340
    Rep Power
    109
    Points
    48,994 (0 Banked)
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuguy View Post
    We used to have an automatic thread generation bot that posted in PSU.com when the article was posted to the homepage.

    We have disabled that now and the content guys will be posting their own threads.
    Into the PSU section or into appropriate sections on the forum?

    I think the latter will help get attention and discussion towards said articles. For whatever reason, possibly because it was automated, the PSU.com section felt very robotic

  19. #19
    Elite Sage
    Cuguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Age
    40
    Posts
    11,744
    Rep Power
    135
    Points
    3,496,956 (212,741 Banked)
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkVincent07 View Post
    Into the PSU section or into appropriate sections on the forum?

    I think the latter will help get attention and discussion towards said articles. For whatever reason, possibly because it was automated, the PSU.com section felt very robotic
    Well, we are debating that a little. We are thinkin of setting up the PSU.com forum to count for more SP per post to encourage discussion there.
    LMAO

  20. #20
    Trying not to break stuff...
    DarkVincent07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Age
    22
    Posts
    17,340
    Rep Power
    109
    Points
    48,994 (0 Banked)
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuguy View Post
    Well, we are debating that a little. We are thinkin of setting up the PSU.com forum to count for more SP per post to encourage discussion there.
    That could help.

    Also, instead of having the PSU.com account post it with a link to the homepage... the author of each article could post it, in full or partial with a link, just after they post it on the main website. That way we could get more personal with the writers and get to know them and discuss what they wrote about in a better way and get them more involved with us on a personal level

  21. #21
    Super Carlton
    33x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    SW London
    PSN ID
    JMEWalterblack
    Age
    33
    Posts
    13,716
    Rep Power
    105
    Points
    34,688 (0 Banked)
    Items PS3 Slim360 SlimiPhone 4 BlackGears of WarGoogle ChromeManchester UnitedUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Yes PSU has gotten better at posting news articles, but PSU to me is FORUM 1st and a game site 2nd, if its news i want, ill got to ign etc...... thats not a sight on your part

    Thanks to Final for the sick sig!

  22. #22
    Elite Sage
    Cuguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Age
    40
    Posts
    11,744
    Rep Power
    135
    Points
    3,496,956 (212,741 Banked)
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by three3-times View Post
    Yes PSU has gotten better at posting news articles, but PSU to me is FORUM 1st and a game site 2nd, if its news i want, ill got to ign etc...... thats not a sight on your part
    Not at all, mostly because for the first 5 yrs of it's life that's all PSU was, it was PS3forums.com, not a news site.
    LMAO

  23. #23
    young rich and tasteless
    squirrelbo1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    London
    Age
    23
    Posts
    16,768
    Rep Power
    135
    Points
    16,383 (0 Banked)
    Items ChelseaPS3 Fat
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuguy View Post
    Not at all, mostly because for the first 5 yrs of it's life that's all PSU was, it was PS3forums.com, not a news site.
    precisely.

    and herein lies the problem. This is a forum first and foremost. Nothing you do artificially will really change that. Even gaf would struggle to make a news portion to their site. The community wouldn't jump on it. Same thing here.

    if you google playstation news, yeah were the third hit, but thats it. you google playstation forum, psu appears loads of times. Googling a direct news story also very rarely gets psu up high, but google a ps3 related problem, bam psu forums almost always front page.
    Last edited by squirrelbo1; 07-13-2012 at 17:41.
    "Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life"

    Quote Originally Posted by dc89 View Post
    If this makes time travel possible I'll go forward in time voluntarily to get my hands on CoD34 and Final Fantasy Versus XIII. They come out in the same year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seahawkk View Post
    I dont think i could take a dick, 1. im not gay and 2 one time i stuck my finger in my butt to see how it felt and i wasn't very pleased with the experience

  24. #24
    young rich and tasteless
    squirrelbo1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    London
    Age
    23
    Posts
    16,768
    Rep Power
    135
    Points
    16,383 (0 Banked)
    Items ChelseaPS3 Fat
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    The problem is the psu forum section is seperate from everything else. You go to ps3 games and bam all the games stuff you need from everywhere. go to psu section. Just stuff posted by psu.
    "Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life"

    Quote Originally Posted by dc89 View Post
    If this makes time travel possible I'll go forward in time voluntarily to get my hands on CoD34 and Final Fantasy Versus XIII. They come out in the same year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seahawkk View Post
    I dont think i could take a dick, 1. im not gay and 2 one time i stuck my finger in my butt to see how it felt and i wasn't very pleased with the experience

  25. #25
    Elite Sage
    Cuguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Age
    40
    Posts
    11,744
    Rep Power
    135
    Points
    3,496,956 (212,741 Banked)
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrelbo1 View Post
    The problem is the psu forum section is seperate from everything else. You go to ps3 games and bam all the games stuff you need from everywhere. go to psu section. Just stuff posted by psu.
    I don't get how that is a "problem" so to speak.

    It is a place to capture and summarize the PSU news and content all in one, OR, let it get muddled and lost in the other sections.

    That is my view. Who knows, it might work out better your way, but that is up to the content team since they will be doing the posting.
    LMAO

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.