Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 7 1 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Forum Elder

and now to the obvious... PS3 v 360..

its not really a V's contest according to some because as we all know, the PS3 is the higher spec console (more powerful) and will win over 360 when the same games are on each system (as we were often told).

and here we are some 6 years later and the "PS3 is hard to program for" excuse is long gone and yet..... 360 holds its own against the mighty PS3. how many Skyrim's need to be released before the fankids realise that PS3 only ever won the V's war on paper?

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I think both systems are pretty equal in graphics and capability each with their own strengths and weaknesses. And as an owner and player of both consoles I haven't seen anything that contradicts that aside from the Sony PR machine and PS3 fanboys. 360 definitely holds its own IMO. As for the multiplats looking better on the 360 the majority of the time I think thats due to Sony's developer unfriendly architecture. In some cases I've also heard developers complain about the split RAM. But if the rumors are true about Sony dumping the cell in favor of more traditional architecture then no doubt the complaints of 3rd party and the inferior multiplats are the reason why. Members like mynd have alot more knowledge about this topic of course.

Forum Elder
    Items User name style
    The PS3 is computationally more powerful and is able use more space for its games and has faster RAM, but yes, as far as pure graphics fidelity (e.g. good texture quality) they are equal. They have the same amount of memory afterall.

In motion is where I see PS3 exclusives having the edge, but honestly, I contribute that mostly to Sony's more talented developer teams and less to specs.

I mean honestly, there isn't any first party studio with Microsoft that I would rate equally with SSM or Naughty Dog.
    Last edited by RedOrb_Collector; 07-13-2012 at 21:34.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by RedOrb_Collector View Post
    The PS3 is computationally more powerful and is able use more space for its games and has faster RAM, but yes, as far as pure graphics fidelity (e.g. good texture quality) they are equal. They have the same amount of memory afterall. In motion is where I see PS3 exclusives having the edge, but honestly, I contribute that mostly to Sony's more talented developer teams and less to specs. I mean honestly, there isn't any first party studio with Microsoft that I would rate equally with SSM or Naughty Dog.
    Yeah Naughty Dog is an amazing developer. Theres a reason why other Sony developers have consulted with them while working on some of their projects. As for MS I will say that I'm impressed with 343 so far. But yeah Sony has some highly talented development teams under their wing no doubt. When it comes to first party MS is bringing a knife to a gunfight. But 360 definitely wins when it comes to versions of 3rd party games.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 07-13-2012 at 22:11.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Truth is the 360 can just pump pixels faster.
    While the PS3 theortically can push more calculatons through its system, it unfortunatley can not put them on the screen as fast.

A lot of that extra calculation power the PS3 has, has been used to good effect to lessen the load of the GPU.

BUt I still find it funny that in this day and age only "PS3 exclusives" that cant be compared to anything else are the best games created on the system..
    Last edited by mynd; 07-13-2012 at 23:05.
    I am no longer participating in these forums, I wish all of you on the PSU Forums the best for the future.

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    BUt I still find it funny that in this day and age only "PS3 exclusives" that cant be compared to anything else are the best games created on the system..
    most devs on 360 have shown that there is little need to spend time and money on developing there own engine to run games when the offerings from Crytek, Epic etc.. are good enough to please most all eye candy lovers and we will never know if the 360 could do Uncharted any justice.

i remember just last year when someone on the PSU forums was saying that multi-plats would never look as good as PS3 exclusives, then Crysis 2 arrived..

Ancient
    I think it depends on the developer, bug ridden games tend to be better on 360 yet highly polished titles tend to be better on PS3, why is that?

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Quote Originally Posted by TGO View Post
    I think it depends on the developer, bug ridden games tend to be better on 360 yet highly polished titles tend to be better on PS3, why is that?

this question makes no sense really. A highly polished game will run great on either console. Your question should have been why is it games with bugs runs better on the 360?

Adding highly polished does nothing. Highly polished games are good no matter the system.

Now it is true that Sony's devs produce high quality exclusives, but that can't factor into the argument either that you are asking because exclusives can't be cross plat compared.
    LMAO

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    PS3 wins because I bought one and I only buy the best.
    Last edited by keefy; 07-13-2012 at 22:03. Reason: pished

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    I guess it comes down to whether you like nicer multiplats and fewer big exclusives or less polished multiplats and $#@! loads of big exclusives. At the end of the day all 3rd party is playable on both systems...but I'm still waiting to see 360's answer to Beyond and The Last Of Us.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    I guess it comes down to whether you like nicer multiplats and fewer big exclusives or less polished multiplats and $#@! loads of big exclusives. At the end of the day all 3rd party is playable on both systems...but I'm still waiting to see 360's answer to Beyond and The Last Of Us.
    Yeah I seriously doubt you'll see a first party answer to those games coming from MS. lol For me I love Sony's first party offerings which is why I have a PS3. But I also like having nicer looking and/or playing 3rd party games too. Some of my favorite games this gen are 3rd party. For example Skyrim is my favorite game this gen. So I relate to both sides of the coin. And I also enjoy my PS3/Vita combination.

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Circle November 6 on your calender. That is the answer. No doubt those two games will be good but they don't offer a jump in graphics or gameplay from what I've seen. One looks like Heavy Rain and the other looks like Uncharted 2. By the time they release we should be seeing more next gen stuff that will probably blow away everything we've seen this gen......... i hope.
    Last edited by Sub-stance1; 07-13-2012 at 22:56.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    Circle November 6 on your calender. That is the answer. No doubt those two games will be good but they don't offer a jump in graphics or gameplay from what I've seen. One looks like Heavy Rain and the other looks like Uncharted 2. By the time they release we should be seeing more next gen stuff that will probably blow away everything we've seen this gen......... i hope.
    How did I forget that game? lol I definitely agree.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 07-13-2012 at 23:07.

Ancient
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuguy View Post
    this question makes no sense really. A highly polished game will run great on either console. Your question should have been why is it games with bugs runs better on the 360?

Adding highly polished does nothing. Highly polished games are good no matter the system.

Now it is true that Sony's devs produce high quality exclusives, but that can't factor into the argument either that you are asking because exclusives can't be cross plat compared.
    Not true, most bug ridden games perform better on 360 and highly polished game do yes perform very good on both systems but there is always a PS3 advantage, there has been games that aren't anything special that have performed inferior on the PS3 system and then we have games that are graphical stunning and perform excellent on both systems but with PS3 having a edge.
    So is it a developer thing

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by TGO View Post
    Not true, most bug ridden games perform better on 360 and highly polished game do yes perform very good on both systems but there is always a PS3 advantage, there has been games that aren't anything special that have performed inferior on the PS3 system and then we have games that are graphical stunning and perform excellent on both systems but with PS3 having a edge. So is it a developer thing Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2
    Just curious. What "graphically stunning" and "highly polished" games are you referring to that were better on PS3?
    Last edited by mistercrow; 07-13-2012 at 23:10.

Forum Elder
    MS have proven time and again that they don't need to waste money on exclusives that will have average reviews and/or poor sales, Sony even say they themselves should have gone for less exclusives because less is erm..... more.

sure, it hits a check box for the fankids to say my system of choice has more exclusives, but there is only so much gaming time across a year, so why not let the CoD's, Assassins Creeds, Halo's and Gears of this world keep up the quality and at the same time cover the years gaming time.

let the average like Infamous, Killzone, Resistance, Motorstorm etc fade away and make more of the good like Uncharted, God of War and erm...... remind me, apart from Uncharted and God of War.. what are the great PS3 exclusives? its not LBP with its floaty controls or zillions of poor levels. it's for sure not Yakusa or Sports Champions.
    just what are these mythical "Amazing" exclusives?

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    Quote Originally Posted by Yungstar 2006 View Post
    MS have proven time and again that they don't need to waste money on exclusives that will have average reviews and/or poor sales, Sony even say they themselves should have gone for less exclusives because less is erm..... more.

sure, it hits a check box for the fankids to say my system of choice has more exclusives, but there is only so much gaming time across a year, so why not let the CoD's, Assassins Creeds, Halo's and Gears of this world keep up the quality and at the same time cover the years gaming time.

let the average like Infamous, Killzone, Resistance, Motorstorm etc fade away and make more of the good like Uncharted, God of War and erm...... remind me, apart from Uncharted and God of War.. what are the great PS3 exclusives? its not LBP with its floaty controls or zillions of poor levels. it's for sure not Yakusa or Sports Champions.

You're definitely that guy now.

This new forum is awesome

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot

In the metacritic range of 80-100 Sony has about 15 more exclusives than MS. They have quality and quantity so this argument of less is more isn't even reasonable lol. In fact Uncharted 2 (96) and LBP (95) scored better than MSs best scoring games which are Gears of War and Halo 3 at 94. PS3 has 12 exclusives in the 90+ range where as 360 has 8. So talk all you want about the poor reviews given to these games if it makes you feel better.

PS3 retail games with 80+ @ Metacritic: 34
    360 retail games with 80+ @ Metacritic: 20 (I gave 360 4 games that are on PC and a casual game)
    Last edited by Ghost; 07-13-2012 at 23:35.

Elite Guru
    In the metacritic range of 80-100 Sony has about 15 more exclusives than MS. They have quality and quantity so this argument of less is more isn't even reasonable lol. In fact Uncharted 2 (96) and LBP (95) scored better than MSs best scoring games which are Gears of War and Halo 3 at 94. PS3 has 12 exclusives in the 90+ range where as 360 has 8. So talk all you want about the poor reviews given to these games if it makes you feel better.
    Shut it Ghost-Rhayne

God damn 'fankid'. Less is always more.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitey View Post
    Shut it Ghost-Rhayne

I'm sorry, you are right. I don't know why I thought having more games to choose from was something that is desirable. Silly me.

Elite Guru
    I'm sorry, you are right. I don't know why I thought having more games to choose from was something that is desirable. Silly me.
    Silly you indeed. But I get why these exclusives catch your attention, despite getting $#@! scores and selling like $#@!, it's because multiplatform games aren't even worth playing on the PS3

--

This is how you deal with him guys. Thank me later ^_^

Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    Yakuza is an extraordinary series along with Infamous and Motorstorm.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitey
    Shut it Ghost-Rhayne

As a gamer, I prefer a better variety of games.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Yeah I love the Motorstorm series. And I picked up Infamous Festival of Blood for $4.82 thanks to PS+.

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by FonFahbre View Post
    Yakuza is an extraordinary series along with Infamous and Motorstorm.

As a gamer, I prefer a better variety of games.
    metacritic on the extraordinary PS3 Yakuza
    Yakuza 4 78
    Yakuza: Dead Souls 63
    Yakuza 3 79

also the extraordinary Motorstorm
    MotorStorm: Apocalypse 77
    MotorStorm: Pacific Rift 82
    MotorStorm 84

inFamous 2 83
    inFamous 85

there'sa theme running through those extraordinary games. thats it... they review worse with each iteration.
    indeed.... extraordinary..

Sony’s Worldwide Studios President
    we have to be very honest about our games’ quality as well. We love our games, but we can point out many issues when you look at the titles individually.
    http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/...op-less-games/

Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    metacritic on the extraordinary PS3 Yakuza
    Yakuza 4 78
    Yakuza: Dead Souls 63
    Yakuza 3 79

also the extraordinary Motorstorm
    MotorStorm: Apocalypse 77
    MotorStorm: Pacific Rift 82
    MotorStorm 84

inFamous 2 83
    inFamous 85

there'sa theme running through those extraordinary games. thats it... they review worse with each iteration.
    indeed.... extraordinary..

Sony’s Worldwide Studios President

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/...op-less-games/
    So you judge games based on metacritics but never tried them yourself?. Sorry to disappoint you but I had a hell of a lot more fun with the Yakuza series(That includes, Dead Souls!) then I did with games like Call of Duty and Halo. I could ask you to try out the handfull of PS3 exclusives that are available which are more fun then you can imagine but I am certain that you will disregard them with the way you're responding.

It's never a good idea to trust metacritics or review sites completely, you should try some games by renting them or borrowing them from friends and judge them based on your experience. A good example that I love to use a lot is, Nier and the average rating it received which scored lower then the ratings you posted above(Joystiq didn't even give Nier a proper review score when it released because of how bad it was to them). In the end, it turned out to be one of the best games I've played in a while in terms of character development, story and soundtrack. Those who've played it agree wholeheartedly and heck even a member here was grateful to me for recommending such a gem.

Thread Information