Latest PSU headlines:

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 212 ... LastLast
Results 276 to 300 of 314
  1. #276
    Forum Sage
    sainraja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    8,077
    Rep Power
    96
    Points
    24,533 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Who said it was a failure?


    Which is why I didnt have an issue with them doing sequels, it was the 3rd iterations in which I said WTF?

    Not implying they didnt do it right, I think they should have maybe cut the cord on some titles however.


    <sigh> Not sure what playing a game has to do with, from a commercial and fiscal point of view, MS:A should never ever have been green lit.

    We nearly lost a great developer, and a lot of people nearly lost their jobs.


    Where I lived, you bought a PS3 + 2 games, you had you choice of launch titles, R:FOM, MS, Genji and one other I cant remember.


    Again who says they failed?
    You don't have to outright say it but that's what you seem to be implying (titles shouldn't have been greenlit.)

    If they were part of unofficial bundles, then you're discrediting the overall sales of the titles and somehow concluding that they are failures because they shouldn't have been greenlit.

    If you're not calling them failures, what are you calling them?

  2. #277
    Extreme Poster
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    29,624
    Rep Power
    187
    Points
    95,390 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Who said it was a failure?
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    ...all 4 had sequels had sequels that failed...


    Which is why I didnt have an issue with them doing sequels, it was the 3rd iterations in which I said WTF?
    Are you saying 3rd iterations aren't an industry norm? Especially with big publishers. I'd go so far to say that it's changing to where you'll barely see one-installment IPs, in fact, why would you just make one successful game and stop there? lol. Makes no sense business-wise! And as far as giving people more games!

    It's a win-win!

    Not implying they didnt do it right, I think they should have maybe cut the cord on some titles however.
    Like?

    <sigh> Not sure what playing a game has to do with, from a commercial and fiscal point of view, MS:A should never ever have been green lit.
    We nearly lost a great developer, and a lot of people nearly lost their jobs.
    Oh you mean in retrospect, because otherwise we wouldn't certainly know if it was going to be successful or not, the game looked pretty decent and was similar to the older ones. I don't see why it wouldn't have been average at least.

    Again who says they failed?
    You did lol.

  3. #278
    Power Member
    mynd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    41
    Posts
    17,290
    Rep Power
    160
    Points
    153,515 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by sainraja View Post
    You don't have to outright say it but that's what you seem to be implying (titles shouldn't have been greenlit.)

    If they were part of unofficial bundles, then you're discrediting the overall sales of the titles and somehow concluding that they are failures because they shouldn't have been greenlit.

    If you're not calling them failures, what are you calling them?
    Which titles? I dont think ms:3 or res:3 should have been greenlit.

    The others, I call them good launch titles that got the traditional launch boost all good titles get at launch, as I said look at COD2 on the xbox.

    I wasn't suggesting the games were failures, but I also don't consider some of them worthy of a third outing that they got.

    I certainly consider their sequals failures, and that should have been enough for the publishers and devs to stop makin the third iteration.

    The industry doesn't make sequels because they need sequels, they make them if the consumers still show an interest in the franchise.

    Plenty of games have made it to a sequal and no further.
    Last edited by mynd; 03-26-2013 at 03:15.
    I am no longer participating in these forums, I wish all of you on the PSU Forums the best for the future.

  4. #279
    Administrator
    Ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Posts
    12,716
    Rep Power
    131
    Points
    6,416,647 (100,956 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    The biggest failure is that you never played these games Seriously.

  5. #280
    Extreme Poster
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    29,624
    Rep Power
    187
    Points
    95,390 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Which titles? I dont think ms:3 or res:3 should have been greenlit.

    The others, I call them good launch titles that got the traditional launch boost all good titles get at launch, as I said look at COD2 on the xbox.
    There are pros and cons of putting out a game in pretty much any time of a console's life. Though generally there's that golden age when the demand is the highest. Launch is definitely not a handicap but sometimes is supported by console-makers.

    I wasn't suggesting the games were failures, but I also don't consider some of them worthy of a third outing that they got.

    I certainly consider their sequals failures, and that should have been enough for the publishers and devs to stop makin the third iteration.
    On what basis? Sales?

    LBP2 is not good enough with almost 3m sales? Resistance 3 had around 1.3m sales, that's not horrible, just average. Infamous 2 had 1.55m sales.

    So I guess Alan Wake developer shouldn't have put out that Live Marketplace iteration? Because according to you, that failed.

    What you don't understand is these titles also sell the console, because if they didn't put them out, you would have less titles to choose from.

    The industry doesn't make sequels because they need sequels, they make them if the consumers still show an interest in the franchise.

    Plenty of games have made it to a sequal and no further.
    Plenty of games have made it further than sequels as well, especially, this generation. I definitely think there is interest enough to garner above-average sales. They can always reboot the IP or do a better job next time for better sales. Thing about it is that it's also cheaper for them to make sequels rather than stop at the first or second one.

    Let me get this straight: You're alright with MS not even giving a $#@! and criticizing Sony for trying? You haven't answered about their strategy yet. You have a 360 right? You must agree with their decisions. Tell us what you think about MS' strategy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    The biggest failure is that you never played these games Seriously.
    Seriously! lol.

  6. #281
    Power Member
    mynd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    41
    Posts
    17,290
    Rep Power
    160
    Points
    153,515 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    The biggest failure is that you never played these games Seriously.
    There a lots of titles I don't feel inclined to buy or want. Heavy Rain and Uncharted 2 and 3 stand out as titles I actually do want to play. The others fail to excite me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    There are pros and cons of putting out a game in pretty much any time of a console's life. Though generally there's that golden age when the demand is the highest. Launch is definitely not a handicap but sometimes is supported by console-makers.


    On what basis? Sales?

    LBP2 is not good enough with almost 3m sales? Resistance 3 had around 1.3m sales, that's not horrible, just average. Infamous 2 had 1.55m sales.

    So I guess Alan Wake developer shouldn't have put out that Live Marketplace iteration? Because according to you, that failed.

    What you don't understand is these titles also sell the console, because if they didn't put them out, you would have less titles to choose from.
    Yeah right, I know a console which had no games, and still sold well at launch, and I know another console which also has apparently no games and still continues to sell well.
    Plenty of games have made it further than sequels as well, especially, this generation. I definitely think there is interest enough to garner above-average sales. They can always reboot the IP or do a better job next time for better sales. Thing about it is that it's also cheaper for them to make sequels rather than stop at the first or second one.

    Let me get this straight: You're alright with MS not even giving a $#@! and criticizing Sony for trying? You haven't answered about their strategy yet. You have a 360 right? You must agree with their decisions. Tell us what you think about MS' strategy.

    Seriously! lol.
    PMSL, you are getting very uptight about games, heres what I think ...

    I think MS choose to put a LOT of its resources into Kinect, and it shows in the lack of titles in the latter life of the 360, which I'm fine with there is more than enough 3rd party titles to cover the market.
    And the one's they have put out have been stonking fantastic games (Horizon, Gears, Halo 4, Forza Motorsports 4).

    Do I think MS did some titles they shouldnt have? Yeah of course they did, both Fable 3 and Crackdown 2 where ill thought out, ill planned, and rushed to their detriment. Titles like Ninja Blade were simply a waste of good resources, and the lack of titles updates for LIPS pissed me off no end.

    Closing a few studios is also a crazily stupid move, and I am glad they have reversed that trend.

    Ive always said a console manufacturer needs to have titles supporte dby them, early on in the generation, because

    a/ No one else is making games for your console
    b/ You have the opportunity to set the bar in terms of what the graphics etc should be like.
    c/You need to convince a critical mass of people to purchase your console, and in turn convince developers that they need to support it.

    As the generation gets older, they all tend to play it safer with sequal after sequal,they both do it, I aint cirticising anyone for doing that, especially a sequel that's better than the first, which tends to happen, but there are some generes or titles that end up playing and competing with 3rd party titles that actually do it better, or in some cases, end up competing for the consumers money regardless of genre.

    I also think MS knows when to release a title, Sony have always failed to propel some good titles due to their poor timing in terms of release dates.
    I am no longer participating in these forums, I wish all of you on the PSU Forums the best for the future.

  7. #282
    Extreme Poster
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    29,624
    Rep Power
    187
    Points
    95,390 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Yeah right, I know a console which had no games, and still sold well at launch, and I know another console which also has apparently no games and still continues to sell well.
    I'm not getting what you're saying here.
    PMSL, you are getting very uptight about games, heres what I think ...
    No I'm laughing my ass off how baseless your opinions are.
    I think MS choose to put a LOT of its resources into Kinect, and it shows in the lack of titles in the latter life of the 360, which I'm fine with there is more than enough 3rd party titles to cover the market. And the one's they have put out have been stonking fantastic games (Horizon, Gears, Halo 4, Forza Motorsports 4).
    See, the problem here is that it's all about your own personal opinion, if you look at the market, they want more games than just a few IPs MS keeps putting out sequels for. You just happen to like their offerings so you're ok with even "Horizon"!? LOL. SERIOUSLY! I'm sorry, hypocrisy? This thing sold 1.3m...wait a second, how? I'm so confused! WHOAaaaaa my head hurts! If it weren't for the larger selection of current games that PS3 has, it would not have caught up with the 360 all these years. Do you have another theory?
    Do I think MS did some titles they shouldnt have? Yeah of course they did, both Fable 3 and Crackdown 2 where ill thought out, ill planned, and rushed to their detriment. Titles like Ninja Blade were simply a waste of good resources, and the lack of titles updates for LIPS pissed me off no end.
    But we're talking about not just putting out sequels but also IPs, MS did not focus on IPs at all, that's your entire argument against Sony. Isn't it?
    Closing a few studios is also a crazily stupid move, and I am glad they have reversed that trend. Ive always said a console manufacturer needs to have titles supporte dby them, early on in the generation, because a/ No one else is making games for your console b/ You have the opportunity to set the bar in terms of what the graphics etc should be like. c/You need to convince a critical mass of people to purchase your console, and in turn convince developers that they need to support it. As the generation gets older, they all tend to play it safer with sequal after sequal,they both do it, I aint cirticising anyone for doing that, especially a sequel that's better than the first, which tends to happen, but there are some generes or titles that end up playing and competing with 3rd party titles that actually do it better, or in some cases, end up competing for the consumers money regardless of genre.
    That doesn't mean that you should not come out with those titles. Because in the end, you're also trying to sell the console and more options means that the console is more attractive and that's how you get brand loyalty. The point is to keep giving so the consumer keeps coming back for more. That's the console maker's job.
    I also think MS knows when to release a title, Sony have always failed to propel some good titles due to their poor timing in terms of release dates.
    So do you suppose they should release them all together when other big hitters come out? Why don't you give me an example of a game that should not have released at a certain point and then tell us when it should've. If anything, I disagree with MS' strategy for "keeping" games from being released just so they can garner a few extra sales and make it seem like they are keeping their supply up...the gamers won't ignore even a few months of drought. They will remember that.
    Last edited by Omar; 03-26-2013 at 05:18.

  8. #283
    Dedicated Member
    Shingo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Posts
    1,254
    Rep Power
    30
    Points
    13,603 (0 Banked)
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    Overall the sales would probably go towards Sony in terms of 1st party sales, but MS fanboys only really have this argument left. Ultimately no one gives a $#@! so long as the games make enough profit to make MORE GAMEZ!
    There may be only a few million diffrence maybe 2 And 2 million is definitely not any big number in the eye...
    If I recall correctly this year sony releasing amazing titles while MS sending 360 to bin... Sony will take the lead this year;

    PS3 exclusives:

    The Last of Us
    God of War: Ascension
    Dust 514
    Beyond: Two Souls
    Ni no Kuni
    Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time
    Tales of Xillia
    The Witch and the Hundred Knights
    Puppeteer
    Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of Twilight Land
    Until Dawn
    Hyperdemsion Neptunia Victory
    MLB 13: The Show
    Xbox 360 exclusives:

    Gears of War: Judgment
    Dark
    Deadfall Adventures
    Ascend: New Gods (XBLA)
    Monaco: What's Yours is Mine (XBLA)
    Double Dragon II: Wander of the Dragons (XBLA)
    State of Decay (XBLA)
    Crimson Dragon (XBLA)
    Matter (XBLA)
    LocoCycle (XBLA)
    Skulls of the Shogun (XBLA)
    (_)
    ( _)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)



    MyAnimeList
    Currently playing GOW:A
    Next : Last of Us, One Piece : Pirate Warriors 2

  9. #284
    Member
    Robardian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    143
    Rep Power
    28
    Points
    989 (0 Banked)
    Most of those are xbla titles....sad.

    Sent from my HTC-PG762 using Tapatalk 2

  10. Likes DarkVincent07 likes this post
  11. #285
    Power Member
    mynd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    41
    Posts
    17,290
    Rep Power
    160
    Points
    153,515 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    I'm not getting what you're saying here.
    Exclusives are not needed or required to shift mature consoles.
    No I'm laughing my ass off how baseless your opinions are. See, the problem here is that it's all about your own personal opinion, if you look at the market, they want more games than just a few IPs MS keeps putting out sequels for. You just happen to like their offerings so you're ok with even "Horizon"!? LOL. SERIOUSLY! I'm sorry, hypocrisy? This thing sold 1.3m...wait a second, how? I'm so confused! WHOAaaaaa my head hurts! If it weren't for the larger selection of current games that PS3 has, it would not have caught up with the 360 all these years. Do you have another theory?
    A couple of things.

    1/ You quote VGchartz, and I ignored it earlier, but lets get something straight about LBP2, the game was a FLOP (350k in Jan NPD, less than 200k in Feb)
    2/ The game shifted 400k in November 2011 because it was a BUNDLE

    Do some research before you start spouting numbers. All you have done is point the bloody obvious, that these games get inflated due to sales in bundles (again I have no problem with that, but don't go quoting 2.8 million as some sort of magic number, the games sold less than 1 million with out bundles).

    Horizon, on the other hand has sold (VGchartz I assume) 1.3m and IS STILL IN THE UK CHARTS, and was also bundled, at a time when MS sold 5 million consoles.

    VGChartz is a joke. Please stop using them.

    - But we're talking about not just putting out sequels but also IPs, MS did not focus on IPs at all, that's your entire argument against Sony. Isn't it?
    What? My "argument" was that some of Sonys titles are heavy hitters, some aren't. Even though many want them to be, and wish they were, they were/are not.
    Then when this happens, people complain that "Sony doesn't sell as much" which is not true. They sell as well as most of MS, if not better, they just don't sell as well as Gears or Halo. Neither do they sell as well as GT5 or Uncharted. Between those 4 titles alone, you have the biggest selling games this generation (*exclusives I mean).

    Again, people had expectations for games like Resistance and Motostorm sequels, which they were never ever going to full fill.

    Im not at all against new IP's, quite the opposite, Id rather have new IP's than sequels, I'm realistic enough to know certain titles are heavy hitters, and will always have sequals coming their way, but I would prefer game that are not heavy hitters, not those stellar titles, to be let be and devs move on.

    There is a reason we have COD's year after year, they sell, and they sell well. There is also a reason why Dead Space 3 is reportedly the last.

    This is not pointed to any particular platform, MS seems ot be good at one aspect "letting go", they just suck at replacing them with new games.
    That doesn't mean that you should not come out with those titles. Because in the end, you're also trying to sell the console and more options means that the console is more attractive and that's how you get brand loyalty.
    Brand loyalty doesn't exist in the real world of consoles, only on these forums.
    The point is to keep giving so the consumer keeps coming back for more. That's the console maker's job. So do you suppose they should release them all together when other big hitters come out? Why don't you give me an example of a game that should not have released at a certain point and then tell us when it should've. If anything, I disagree with MS' strategy for "keeping" games from being released just so they can garner a few extra sales and make it seem like they are keeping their supply up...the gamers won't ignore even a few months of drought. They will remember that.
    You give consumers way to much emotional attachment to a piece of electronics.
    I am no longer participating in these forums, I wish all of you on the PSU Forums the best for the future.

  12. #286
    Superior Member
    TrUe GaMeR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    600
    Rep Power
    66
    Points
    2,811 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    So do you suppose they should release them all together when other big hitters come out? Why don't you give me an example of a game that should not have released at a certain point and then tell us when it should've. If anything, I disagree with MS' strategy for "keeping" games from being released just so they can garner a few extra sales and make it seem like they are keeping their supply up...the gamers won't ignore even a few months of drought. They will remember that.
    Here's an example.

    Let's take Uncharted 3. Release date: November 1, 2011.

    That month of November should already give most of you guys pause. Why release a big game like Uncharted in November. Dumb move.

    So what 3rd party monster games came out that time frame?

    Battlefield 3, October 25, 2011

    next is Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, November 11, 2011

    next is The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, November 11, 2011

    for comparisons sake

    Gears of War 3. Release date: September 20, 2011

    Lets not forget that both Gears and the Halo series first and second games were released in the month of November but MS ceded that month to Call of Duty and took over September for their big releases. The exception being Halo Anniversary obviously and Halo 4.

    They should of released Uncharted in September even though Uncharted sold millions I fail to see why it should compete when it could of complemented what's on or coming to the system that year.

    What I think anyway.

  13. #287
    Member
    Robardian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    143
    Rep Power
    28
    Points
    989 (0 Banked)
    I still find that Sony games have overall better quality than most ms games. And better stories.

    Sent from my HTC-PG762 using Tapatalk 2

  14. #288
    Member
    Robardian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    143
    Rep Power
    28
    Points
    989 (0 Banked)
    You can have the biggest budget in the world, doesn't mean your game is going to be good.

    Sent from my HTC-PG762 using Tapatalk 2

  15. #289
    Ultimate Veteran
    AaronSOLDIER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Age
    21
    Posts
    20,718
    Rep Power
    117
    Points
    66,208 (0 Banked)
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Only mistake Sony made this gen with their games is ignoring their RPG fanbase.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDug13
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

  16. #290
    Member
    Robardian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    143
    Rep Power
    28
    Points
    989 (0 Banked)
    Yeah, it was kinda sad for
    Rpgs this Gen. I noticed nintendo actually had a a lot lately. The only noteworthy one I can think of for ps3 is ni no kuni.
    Sent from my HTC-PG762 using Tapatalk 2

  17. #291
    Ultimate Veteran
    AaronSOLDIER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Age
    21
    Posts
    20,718
    Rep Power
    117
    Points
    66,208 (0 Banked)
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Nah there's a ton of amazing JRPGs for PS3 both exclusive and multiplat, but they're all third party, Sony only really had a hand in White Knight Chronicles and Demon's Souls, that's it.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDug13
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

  18. #292
    Member
    Robardian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    143
    Rep Power
    28
    Points
    989 (0 Banked)
    I just want a good turn based rpg again kinda getting tired of these action rpgs. Though demon souls and chronicles are quite good.

    Sent from my HTC-PG762 using Tapatalk 2

  19. #293
    Extreme Poster
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    29,624
    Rep Power
    187
    Points
    95,390 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Exclusives are not needed or required to shift mature consoles.
    Ok so how did PS3 catch up to the 360? Do you honestly believe if Sony didn't have exclusives, they would've caught up anyway? What magic does PS3 possess with its inferior multiplat games and almost twice the price this whole time, that it caught up with the 360? Online services? lol.

    Was 360 going to get a boost in sales, were it not for Kinect? If you look at 360 sales, they were dropping before kinect came into the picture, then it's been keeping up with the PS3 ever since. You argue about bundles and yet you blind your eye towards MS when it comes to the importance of exclusivity.

    At the same time, you said it was stupid of MS to shut down studios...well, why? You say yourself you don't think exclusives are important! Make up your own mind lol.

    A couple of things.

    1/ You quote VGchartz, and I ignored it earlier, but lets get something straight about LBP2, the game was a FLOP (350k in Jan NPD, less than 200k in Feb)
    2/ The game shifted 400k in November 2011 because it was a BUNDLE

    Do some research before you start spouting numbers. All you have done is point the bloody obvious, that these games get inflated due to sales in bundles (again I have no problem with that, but don't go quoting 2.8 million as some sort of magic number, the games sold less than 1 million with out bundles).

    Horizon, on the other hand has sold (VGchartz I assume) 1.3m and IS STILL IN THE UK CHARTS, and was also bundled, at a time when MS sold 5 million consoles.

    VGChartz is a joke. Please stop using them.
    Why do bundles matter to you so much? If you wanna go down this route then we can argue that due to discounts and bundles given by MS (which were way better than what Sony ever gave), we should discount all those 360 sales. Sounds silly right? What about Kinect bundle? What about that $99 bundle? Who cares lol. They made a game to sell the console, and they're doing that, I don't care enough to be a fundamentalist who only counts sales that were sold stand alone.

    and what does your argument have to do with VGChartz? Do you know a better way to find figures? Over time these figures are fairly accurate as they are gathered from previous sales. They wouldn't work if you're trying to find recent figures.

    What? My "argument" was that some of Sonys titles are heavy hitters, some aren't. Even though many want them to be, and wish they were, they were/are not.
    Then when this happens, people complain that "Sony doesn't sell as much" which is not true. They sell as well as most of MS, if not better, they just don't sell as well as Gears or Halo. Neither do they sell as well as GT5 or Uncharted. Between those 4 titles alone, you have the biggest selling games this generation (*exclusives I mean).

    Again, people had expectations for games like Resistance and Motostorm sequels, which they were never ever going to full fill.

    Im not at all against new IP's, quite the opposite, Id rather have new IP's than sequels, I'm realistic enough to know certain titles are heavy hitters, and will always have sequals coming their way, but I would prefer game that are not heavy hitters, not those stellar titles, to be let be and devs move on.

    There is a reason we have COD's year after year, they sell, and they sell well. There is also a reason why Dead Space 3 is reportedly the last.

    This is not pointed to any particular platform, MS seems ot be good at one aspect "letting go", they just suck at replacing them with new games.
    You've just explained your argument in more detail and agreed with what I said. As for Sony coming out with certain games that didn't sell well. Some may have been bad ideas or maybe they just didn't make the game as good as the previous ones, the point is that it doesn't matter if the game didn't sell well, having that game there is better than not. We don't know if not making that game would automatically mean a new IP because both of those would require vastly different resources and time.

    Brand loyalty doesn't exist in the real world of consoles, only on these forums.
    lol I knew you were going to say that. Yes, we realized that there's no permanent brand loyalty but there is definitely an ongoing brand loyalty (for the lack of a better word). For example, you are waiting for the next Xbox because of the offerings by MS this generation. The same goes for me with Sony.

    People will move on to another platform in a minute if they stopped getting what they want. That's true. But they also look at what happened in the past. I would have sold my PS3, if I didn't have use for it after 2009. I would've been more skeptical about PS4 but may have given it a chance.

    Both offerings and how you were treated go hand in hand. You might like a company's offering but you might not like how they treated you in the past. In an essence, that's the definition of brand loyalty.

    You give consumers way to much emotional attachment to a piece of electronics.
    No, that's how the business world works. If they liked what you gave them, they will come back for more. That's like...I donno, the first thing you learn in the business world.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrUe GaMeR View Post
    Here's an example.

    Let's take Uncharted 3. Release date: November 1, 2011.

    That month of November should already give most of you guys pause. Why release a big game like Uncharted in November. Dumb move.

    So what 3rd party monster games came out that time frame?

    Battlefield 3, October 25, 2011

    next is Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, November 11, 2011

    next is The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, November 11, 2011

    for comparisons sake

    Gears of War 3. Release date: September 20, 2011

    Lets not forget that both Gears and the Halo series first and second games were released in the month of November but MS ceded that month to Call of Duty and took over September for their big releases. The exception being Halo Anniversary obviously and Halo 4.

    They should of released Uncharted in September even though Uncharted sold millions I fail to see why it should compete when it could of complemented what's on or coming to the system that year.

    What I think anyway.
    1) I don't know why people think UC would be directly competing with Halo or COD.

    2) November is an important month, if they're going to get any sales, you might as well come out with the other big hitters or people might spend all their money on that.

    3) You do know that Gears 3 and UC3 sold about the same?

  20. #294
    Ultimate Veteran
    AaronSOLDIER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Age
    21
    Posts
    20,718
    Rep Power
    117
    Points
    66,208 (0 Banked)
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Robardian View Post
    I just want a good turn based rpg again kinda getting tired of these action rpgs. Though demon souls and chronicles are quite good.

    Sent from my HTC-PG762 using Tapatalk 2
    There's not as many as PS1/PS2 had but there are a lot more on PS3 than 360 or Wii, here's a quick list off the top of my head:

    Ar Tonelico 3/Qoga
    Atelier Rorona
    Atelier Totori
    Atelier Meruru
    Demon's Souls
    Dark Souls
    Disgaea 3
    Disgaea 4
    End of Eternity
    HyperDimension Neptunia
    HyperDimension Neptunia Mk.2
    Ni no Kuni
    Nier
    Tales of Graces f
    Tales of Xillia
    Tales of Xillia 2
    Trinity Universe
    White Knight Chronicles
    White Knight Chronicles II
    Yakuza 3
    Yakuza 4
    Yakuza 5 (technically Yakuza is a beat em up/Adventure/RPG)

    If importing is an option then there's much more than that. But yeah PS3 had a slow start to the JRPG scene but it now has more JRPGs than 360 and Wii combined, but if you do have a Wii you should check out Xenoblade Chronicles too.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDug13
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

  21. #295
    Power Member
    mynd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    41
    Posts
    17,290
    Rep Power
    160
    Points
    153,515 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    Ok so how did PS3 catch up to the 360?
    Japan
    Do you honestly believe if Sony didn't have exclusives, they would've caught up anyway?
    Yes
    What magic does PS3 possess with its inferior multiplat games and almost twice the price this whole time, that it caught up with the 360? Online services? lol.
    The brand name and Japan.

    Was 360 going to get a boost in sales, were it not for Kinect? If you look at 360 sales, they were dropping before kinect came into the picture, then it's been keeping up with the PS3 ever since. You argue about bundles and yet you blind your eye towards MS when it comes to the importance of exclusivity.
    Kinect is hardly a game, its a peripheral.
    At the same time, you said it was stupid of MS to shut down studios...well, why? You say yourself you don't think exclusives are important! Make up your own mind lol.
    Because you need to lead into a new generation with something.
    Why do bundles matter to you so much? If you wanna go down this route then we can argue that due to discounts and bundles given by MS (which were way better than what Sony ever gave), we should discount all those 360 sales. Sounds silly right? What about Kinect bundle? What about that $99 bundle? Who cares lol. They made a game to sell the console, and they're doing that, I don't care enough to be a fundamentalist who only counts sales that were sold stand alone.
    I have no porblems with bundles, I said that, but it also bolsters games popularity well beyond where they truley stand, Kinect adventures has sold more titles than any other game in that case. Is it popular...nope.
    and what does your argument have to do with VGChartz? Do you know a better way to find figures? Over time these figures are fairly accurate as they are gathered from previous sales. They wouldn't work if you're trying to find recent figures.
    Oh come on, VGchartz have been proven again and again to be complete BS, I would never quote their numbers willingly. 2.8 million for lBP? 1.4 for America, how the hell did it get 1.4 in america withou bundles, well we KNOW it didnt, therefore they include bundles.
    Now Forza Horizon, it was bundled at Xmas, when MS sold nearly 6 million units, even if only 1 million of them were the forza Xmas bundle, they saying the game ssold 300k outside of that? Pssshhh.

    You've just explained your argument in more detail and agreed with what I said. As for Sony coming out with certain games that didn't sell well. Some may have been bad ideas or maybe they just didn't make the game as good as the previous ones, the point is that it doesn't matter if the game didn't sell well, having that game there is better than not. We don't know if not making that game would automatically mean a new IP because both of those would require vastly different resources and time.

    lol I knew you were going to say that. Yes, we realized that there's no permanent brand loyalty but there is definitely an ongoing brand loyalty (for the lack of a better word). For example, you are waiting for the next Xbox because of the offerings by MS this generation. The same goes for me with Sony.

    People will move on to another platform in a minute if they stopped getting what they want. That's true. But they also look at what happened in the past. I would have sold my PS3, if I didn't have use for it after 2009. I would've been more skeptical about PS4 but may have given it a chance.

    Both offerings and how you were treated go hand in hand. You might like a company's offering but you might not like how they treated you in the past. In an essence, that's the definition of brand loyalty.


    No, that's how the business world works. If they liked what you gave them, they will come back for more. That's like...I donno, the first thing you learn in the business world.

    1) I don't know why people think UC would be directly competing with Halo or COD.

    2) November is an important month, if they're going to get any sales, you might as well come out with the other big hitters or people might spend all their money on that.

    3) You do know that Gears 3 and UC3 sold about the same?
    I am no longer participating in these forums, I wish all of you on the PSU Forums the best for the future.

  22. #296
    Extreme Poster
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    29,624
    Rep Power
    187
    Points
    95,390 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Japan
    and that's why you're into programming and not business.
    The brand name and Japan.
    So on one hand you say that brand loyalty doesn't exist but brand name does? lol you do realize they're the same things right?

    Kinect is hardly a game, its a peripheral.
    What difference does that make? lol. Wow...how does that change my point?

    Because you need to lead into a new generation with something.
    You need it throughout the generation, of course the impact is bigger in the beginning but that doesn't mean that you should stop development. The sales figures of the games might go down but their "influence" (something PC geeks don't understand) stays.

    Outside of MS camp, we call that "support".
    I have no porblems with bundles, I said that, but it also bolsters games popularity well beyond where they truley stand, Kinect adventures has sold more titles than any other game in that case. Is it popular...nope.
    Should MS not have done Kinect Adventures?

    Oh come on, VGchartz have been proven again and again to be complete BS, I would never quote their numbers willingly. 2.8 million for lBP? 1.4 for America, how the hell did it get 1.4 in america withou bundles, well we KNOW it didnt, therefore they include bundles.
    You do realize that bundled sales are also sales? Why do you take this $#@! so serious lol.

    Now Forza Horizon, it was bundled at Xmas, when MS sold nearly 6 million units, even if only 1 million of them were the forza Xmas bundle, they saying the game ssold 300k outside of that? Pssshhh.
    So what is the actual amount then? Do you know? Sounds about right to me. 1) It's not Forza in the traditional sense. 2) Forza games don't sell more than a few mil.

    Sounds about right to me sir.
    Last edited by Omar; 03-26-2013 at 21:14.

  23. Likes sainraja , MartyRules likes this post
  24. #297
    Power Member
    mynd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    41
    Posts
    17,290
    Rep Power
    160
    Points
    153,515 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    and that's why you're into programming and not business.
    I suggets you go crunch the numbers.
    The "gain" Sony has is the lead it has in Japan over the 360.
    In other words outside of Japan, they have sold 1:1 since launch.
    So on one hand you say that brand loyalty doesn't exist but brand name does? lol you do realize they're the same things right?
    No, I didn't say brand loyalty, I said brand name. Brand recognition is a big thing.
    Not everyone is buying a PS3 because they owned a PS2.
    What difference does that make? lol. Wow...how does that change my point?
    Kinect has shipped what 20 million? Opened a new market, a new way of playing and a new revenue stream, thats a significant difference between hardware and a software. Not one software title could ever do that without hardware to accompany it. Trying to compare new hardware to a game titles as some form of extra boost to hardware sales? Really? Its not even in the same league.
    You need it throughout the generation, of course the impact is bigger in the beginning but that doesn't mean that you should stop development. The sales figures of the games might go down but their "influence" (something PC geeks don't understand) stays.
    Again, there is no proof of that, where is you proof, if this was true, why does MS continue to sell Xbox's like hot cakes?

    Outside of MS camp, we call that "support".
    Should MS not have done Kinect Adventures?
    Not sure what you point is here.
    My point would be, that they wouldn't then make Kinect Adventures 2 for the 360.

    You do realize that bundled sales are also sales?
    And selective counting is selective counting, or is that guessing, either way, VGChartz is a joke.
    So what is the actual amount then? Do you know? Sounds about right to me. 1) It's not Forza in the traditional sense. 2) Forza games don't sell more than a few mil.

    Sounds about right to me sir.
    Still guesswork.
    Last edited by mynd; 03-26-2013 at 21:40.
    I am no longer participating in these forums, I wish all of you on the PSU Forums the best for the future.

  25. #298
    Extreme Poster
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    29,624
    Rep Power
    187
    Points
    95,390 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    I suggets you go crunch the numbers.
    The "gain" Sony has is the lead it has in Japan over the 360.
    In other words outside of Japan, they have sold 1:1 since launch.
    Japan definitely helped Sony but isn't the only reason for their catch up. If you think so, it only shows how limited you are in your thinking. However, apparently you've done all the maths so what would I know lol.

    No, I didn't say brand loyalty, I said brand name. Brand recognition is a big thing.
    Not everyone is buying a PS3 because they owned a PS2.
    Please tell me the difference between brand name and brand loyalty?

    Kinect has shipped what 20 million? Opened a new market, a new way of playing and a new revenue stream, thats a significant difference between hardware and a software. Not one software title could ever do that without hardware to accompany it. Trying to compare new hardware to a game titles as some form of extra boost to hardware sales? Really? Its not even in the same league.
    What? Are you confused? I'm not comparing a hardware to a software. I was telling you that Kinect boosted 360's sales...regardless of it being bundled or not.

    Again, there is no proof of that, where is you proof, if this was true, why does MS continue to sell Xbox's like hot cakes?
    Kinect! Look at the numbers before Kinect and then afterwards. Better yet, post it here for others to see the trend.

    You can't tell us that, this late in the generation, you're going to see a large boost in a video game console (note I said "VIDEO GAME") that's slowing down in game development without any reason at all. Not logical person would argue against that. We know, here, the amount of data we get to look at, for various consoles/handhelds that once a console starts getting games, the numbers jump...NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND! lol

    Not sure what you point is here.
    My point would be, that they wouldn't then make Kinect Adventures 2 for the 360.
    Well duh they wouldn't make it now this late in the generation. What makes you think they won't in the next-gen?

    and i don't get what your argument about "sequels are bad" has to do with anything, you're speaking in retrospect...a sequel of an average game may not sell better than the first installment but generally they do about as good and in cases where they improved, they might see better sales.

    How can you, sitting at your computer desk, say, "Oh well, they should've never done it." Yes, you can say that "after" it happened but really, we wouldn't have known. Apocalypse doesn't look like a failure of a game, just that they must not have realized the demand.

    What do you know that they get out of it? If they knew about the future, the wouldn't do it themselves!

    And selective counting is selective counting, or is that guessing, either way, VGChartz is a joke.
    No, you're the one who's counting selectively. You're only counting stand alone sales.

    Still guesswork.
    Come on dude lol, if it were anything more than that we'd hear about it. If it sold really well, we would see it charting, we would see it in the top ranks. Take off those goggles bud.

  26. Likes sainraja , MartyRules likes this post
  27. #299
    Elite Sage
    Two4DaMoney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    27
    Posts
    12,291
    Rep Power
    110
    Points
    13,329 (75,576 Banked)
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    ps3 has a 7.5m lead over the 360 in JP

    360 has a 13+m lead over the ps3 in NA

    The ps3 is not 5.5(or more)million behind the 360.

    MS are in trouble if Kinect 2 doesn't capture the casuals.
    Last edited by Two4DaMoney; 03-26-2013 at 23:51.
    Destiny is going to be EVERYTHING that EA and MS hoped titanfall would be

  28. #300
    Power Member
    mynd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    41
    Posts
    17,290
    Rep Power
    160
    Points
    153,515 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Two4DaMoney View Post
    ps3 has a 7.5m lead over the 360 in JP

    /snip .
    How much lead did MS have at launch of the PS3?
    I am no longer participating in these forums, I wish all of you on the PSU Forums the best for the future.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

PSU

Playstation Universe

Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission of Abstract Holdings International Ltd. prohibited.
Use of this site is governed by our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.