Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 314
  1. #76
    Super Moderator
    Admartian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    New Zealand
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Age
    27
    Posts
    13,023
    Rep Power
    128
    Points
    40,454 (0 Banked)
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    Yeah I do commend Sony for taking risks. And some of their niche games that I was on the fence about turned out to be pretty good. Heavy Rain was one of those.
    Yep.

    But I know you'll agree that there's definitely room for two console "big boys" - one to pump out "dude bro" games and the other one to do some games like that but also (try) to cater to different niches and audiences.

    #IndieStation4 and proud of it.

  2. #77
    Superior Member
    Old Man Gamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    840
    Rep Power
    22
    Points
    7,850 (0 Banked)
    I believe that the 360 is more of a mainstream console whereas the PS3 fills needs that the 360 doesn't.

    When my friends talk about gaming they ask if anyone is playing Xbox even though they are referring to gaming in general. My wife, a non-gamer, refers to gaming as playing Xbox as well.

    Not sure if it's brand identity or what but this is what I am seeing.
    I don't need no stinkin' signature!

  3. #78
    Super Moderator
    Admartian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    New Zealand
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Age
    27
    Posts
    13,023
    Rep Power
    128
    Points
    40,454 (0 Banked)
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Man Gamer View Post
    I believe that the 360 is more of a mainstream console whereas the PS3 fills needs that the 360 doesn't.

    When my friends talk about gaming they ask if anyone is playing Xbox even though they are referring to gaming in general. My wife, a non-gamer, refers to gaming as playing Xbox as well.

    Not sure if it's brand identity or what but this is what I am seeing.
    I think this is more true in the U.S than anything else. Yes, the 360 is popular in other regions too; but how people refer to gaming is socially-biased.

    #IndieStation4 and proud of it.

  4. #79
    Extreme Poster
    mistercrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Posts
    25,535
    Rep Power
    166
    Points
    169,417 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    Yep. But I know you'll agree that there's definitely room for two console "big boys" - one to pump out "dude bro" games and the other one to do some games like that but also (try) to cater to different niches and audiences.
    "Pump out" dude bro games? Gears and Halo are the only two that I guess you could maybe throw that label on. Forza and Fable not so much. Am I missing some others?

  5. #80
    Super Moderator
    Admartian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    New Zealand
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Age
    27
    Posts
    13,023
    Rep Power
    128
    Points
    40,454 (0 Banked)
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    "Pump out" dude bro games? Gears and Halo are the only two that I guess you could maybe throw that label on. Forza and Fable not so much. Am I missing some others?
    Pump out maybe was a poor choice; but there is clearly a lean towards that type of game. I think also, I am thinking of 3rd party stuff too - since people like to say those games are better on 360 - they can be lumped in as only being for 360 too.

    #IndieStation4 and proud of it.

  6. #81
    Extreme Poster
    mistercrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Posts
    25,535
    Rep Power
    166
    Points
    169,417 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    Pump out maybe was a poor choice; but there is clearly a lean towards that type of game. I think also, I am thinking of 3rd party stuff too - since people like to say those games are better on 360 - they can be lumped in as only being for 360 too.
    Ok I gotcha. And btw those people aren't just saying those 3rd party games are better on 360 because they actually are in most cases. I've seen that firsthand.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 07-16-2012 at 21:56.

  7. #82
    Supreme Veteran
    mynd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Down Under
    Age
    41
    Posts
    17,527
    Rep Power
    162
    Points
    160,618 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Im at a loss to explain this niche market thing.

    Are we refering to two IP's in Quantic Dreams and LBP?

    What are these other niche games?

    I dont see anythign like Viva Piniata, or Halo Wars on the PS3, for example.

  8. #83
    Extreme Poster
    mistercrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Posts
    25,535
    Rep Power
    166
    Points
    169,417 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Im at a loss to explain this niche market thing. Are we refering to two IP's in Quantic Dreams and LBP? What are these other niche games? I dont see anythign like Viva Piniata, or Halo Wars on the PS3, for example.
    Good point. I forgot about those. I would definitely consider Viva Pinata niche and RTS to an extent are as well.

  9. #84
    Super Moderator
    Admartian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    New Zealand
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Age
    27
    Posts
    13,023
    Rep Power
    128
    Points
    40,454 (0 Banked)
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Im at a loss to explain this niche market thing.

    Are we refering to two IP's in Quantic Dreams and LBP?

    What are these other niche games?

    I dont see anythign like , or Halo Wars on the PS3, for example.
    You just named the better version earlier in your post. I'm pretty sure Singstar was niche before games like Rockband and GH were popular.

    And an RTS is niche? Maybe on consoles.

    But I guess EoJ is won't cut it for you as being niche. (Mate, tbh, arguing anything that would prove anything in Sony's favour is futile with you ).

    Stally dude this one.

    There's hardheaded and there's mynd etc

    #IndieStation4 and proud of it.

  10. Likes sainraja likes this post
  11. #85
    Supreme Veteran
    mynd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Down Under
    Age
    41
    Posts
    17,527
    Rep Power
    162
    Points
    160,618 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I know people point to games like infamous as well , a big open world sand box with super powers...or did I just describe Crackdown?

    The only risks Sony has done this generation is to put 5 countem I said 5, FPS into the market on a console were they apprently (not my words) dont sell.
    And bring up 1 JRPG in White Knight Chronicles.

    Here is why the PS3 games dont sell that well....

    They bought out a console and games that didnt match their exsisiting fanbase.

    It was expensive and had some FPS's.

  12. #86
    Extreme Poster
    mistercrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Posts
    25,535
    Rep Power
    166
    Points
    169,417 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    You just named the better version earlier in your post. I'm pretty sure Singstar was niche before games like Rockband and GH were popular. And an RTS is niche? Maybe on consoles.
    Well consoles are what we're talking about right now correct? Namely PS3 and 360.

  13. #87
    Supreme Veteran
    mynd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Down Under
    Age
    41
    Posts
    17,527
    Rep Power
    162
    Points
    160,618 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    You just named the better version earlier in your post. I'm pretty sure Singstar was niche before games like Rockband and GH were popular.
    So?
    Microsoft has 4 Singstar games on the 360 (Lips, Lips #1 Hits, Lips I love 80's, Lips Party Classics).
    Not only that but they actually have a much better mic.
    Not to mention 440 songs you can download.


    And an RTS is niche? Maybe on consoles.
    Exactly
    But I guess EoJ is won't cut it for you as being niche. (Mate, tbh, arguing anything that would prove anything in Sony's favour is futile with you ).

    Stally dude this one.

    There's hardheaded and there's mynd etc
    There is the ill informed mases.
    I think you just proved that by naming Singstar as some form of niche game.

    It is my job to inform you
    Last edited by mynd; 07-16-2012 at 22:31.

  14. #88
    Elite Sage
    Cuguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Age
    40
    Posts
    11,744
    Rep Power
    133
    Points
    3,394,444 (212,741 Banked)
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    You just named the better version earlier in your post. I'm pretty sure Singstar was niche before games like Rockband and GH were popular.

    And an RTS is niche? Maybe on consoles.

    But I guess EoJ is won't cut it for you as being niche. (Mate, tbh, arguing anything that would prove anything in Sony's favour is futile with you ).

    Stally dude this one.

    There's hardheaded and there's mynd etc

    Just a reminder. These are to be friendly discussions. Even little jabs like this can blow up. If they do, I will section ban all involved.
    LMAO

  15. #89
    Soldier 95B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    And this is why I'm always going to own a Sony console. Not saying it's better, before Soldier or anyone else has a hissy fit ().
    I would never have a hissy fit. I see no reason why someone elses opinion should be discounted. I love my PS3 and my 360. If I were to rate them on a scale of 1-100, with 100 being awesomesauce, the PS3 would be a 99 and the 360 would be 100. I like them equally, I just use one more than the other because it has more games that appeal to me. For some, the PS3 has more games that appeal to them. Nothing wrong with that! I just buy all the games for both the systems and swim in gaming heaven

  16. #90
    Legend
    F34R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Posts
    40,105
    Rep Power
    244
    Points
    146,204 (0 Banked)
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Ok, after I misunderstood this at first... I did a lot of calculating this. Here's the once and for all, true, accurate 100% correct, answer:

    I buy two or three copies of Xbox 360 exclusives for everyone to play on a 360 in my house, and only have to buy a single copy of a PS3 exclusive because I don't let know one else use it. That is the only reason the 360 exclusives sell more than the PS3.




  17. #91
    Super Moderator
    Admartian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    New Zealand
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Age
    27
    Posts
    13,023
    Rep Power
    128
    Points
    40,454 (0 Banked)
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    I would never have a hissy fit. I see no reason why someone elses opinion should be discounted. I love my PS3 and my 360. If I were to rate them on a scale of 1-100, with 100 being awesomesauce, the PS3 would be a 99 and the 360 would be 100. I like them equally, I just use one more than the other because it has more games that appeal to me. For some, the PS3 has more games that appeal to them. Nothing wrong with that! I just buy all the games for both the systems and swim in gaming heaven
    lol all good mate.

    I understand that - sometimes it's hard to gauge posts in general.

    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    So?
    Microsoft has 4 Singstar games on the 360 (Lips, Lips #1 Hits, Lips I love 80's, Lips Party Classics).
    Not only that but they actually have a much better mic.
    Not to mention 440 songs you can download.




    Exactly


    There is the ill informed mases.
    I think you just proved that by naming Singstar as some form of niche game.

    It is my job to inform you
    Good one. I suppose only I get the friendly reminder from Cuguy?

    Serves me right for not being more stealthy with my jibes!

    All good mate; all I was trying to say is getting a "Draw" result from you is like trying to get John Key to admit he's wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Ok, after I misunderstood this at first... I did a lot of calculating this. Here's the once and for all, true, accurate 100% correct, answer:

    I buy two or three copies of Xbox 360 exclusives for everyone to play on a 360 in my house, and only have to buy a single copy of a PS3 exclusive because I don't let know one else use it. That is the only reason the 360 exclusives sell more than the PS3.
    Heard it here first - F3AR is single-handedly keeping the games industry afloat!

    What doesn't he do? ?

    #IndieStation4 and proud of it.

  18. Likes Nitey , F34R likes this post
  19. #92
    Supreme Veteran
    mynd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Down Under
    Age
    41
    Posts
    17,527
    Rep Power
    162
    Points
    160,618 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    lol all good mate.

    I understand that - sometimes it's hard to gauge posts in general.


    Good one. I suppose only I get the friendly reminder from Cuguy?

    Serves me right for not being more stealthy with my jibes!

    All good mate; all I was trying to say is getting a "Draw" result from you is like trying to get John Key to admit he's wrong.



    Heard it here first - F3AR is single-handedly keeping the games industry afloat!

    What doesn't he do? ?
    Look, Sony seems to get a lot of credit for some things, when in fact they are no more or less propotianlly doing the same as MS.
    Lets not forget that those proportions are in Sonys favour, they have released more games.
    But to say "sony takes more risks" "looks after the niche gamer" etc isnt even remotley true.
    Maybe if 50% of their PS3 releases where niche games, but I still dont see how they look after the niche gamer any more than anybody else does.

    I never said MS was any better at doing it either, I just dont see either particularly "niching it out".

    I will give credit to Sony for conitnuing to release new IP this late in to the gen though.

  20. #93
    Forum Overseer
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    30,478
    Rep Power
    190
    Points
    107,279 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuguy View Post
    I think I can offer ONE reason that potentially the RPG's would have sold worse on the PS3, and this one can be assumed from the past titles out up till this point. Since almost every MP title performed and/or has looked better on the 360 due to porting issues to the PS3, it can be assumed that a lot of sales would go to the better performing version.

    So in the end, if the PS3 had gotten those titles, it would have been interesting to see sales and how they related to the versions. FFXIII was a no brainer since the 360 port was so badly done, so who's to say the same wouldn't happen if the 360 had the upper hand?
    In my opinion, being bad ports had little to do with it. Most of them weren't even bad ports...that's a harsh term...most issues were minor, most wouldn't even even know what the differences were.

    The biggest reason I'd say 360 would generally sell more software regardless of the genre (for the most part) is that it just had more userbase in the US.

    A lot of those Western RPGs are much more popular in NA...than even EU.

  21. Likes sainraja likes this post
  22. #94
    Supreme Veteran
    mynd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Down Under
    Age
    41
    Posts
    17,527
    Rep Power
    162
    Points
    160,618 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    In my opinion, being bad ports had little to do with it. Most of them weren't even bad ports...that's a harsh term...most issues were minor, most wouldn't even even know what the differences were.

    The biggest reason I'd say 360 would generally sell more software regardless of the genre (for the most part) is that it just had more userbase in the US.

    A lot of those Western RPGs are much more popular in NA...than even EU.
    Tis true, I think games like FIFA have a pretty even userbase across both systems, I think even PS3 might edge out the 360 (not sure). Simply because they are EU games.

  23. #95
    Ancient
    TGO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    purgatory
    Age
    32
    Posts
    10,502
    Rep Power
    100
    Points
    12,865 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    Yeah I do commend Sony for taking risks. And some of their niche games that I was on the fence about turned out to be pretty good. Heavy Rain was one of those.
    And thats the beauty of it, you mention Heavy Rain
    It is by all means a heavy( not intended) ip with high production values thanks to Sony embracing it
    And because Sony did, so did the gamers
    Sega, Nintendo and Sony has had these types of unique games in their catalog for years but Sony makes sure they don't get forgotten or held back by production values
    These niche titles get the same treatment and attention as the dudebro games, you see this on the DS too
    whereas MS seems to have a doorman with a checklist
    If anything Xbox is a very commercial console, the girl that leaves with the highrollers if ya know what I mean.

    Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2

    "Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

  24. Likes AaronSOLDIER likes this post
  25. #96
    Soldier 95B
    Guest
    Alan Wake was another niche title that MS took a chance with, and it paid off too. Gamers indeed like those unique titles.

  26. #97
    Extreme Poster
    mistercrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Posts
    25,535
    Rep Power
    166
    Points
    169,417 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    Alan Wake was another niche title that MS took a chance with, and it paid off too. Gamers indeed like those unique titles.
    Although MS didnt market that game hardly at all. That game sold well despite MS not because of MS. At least marketing wise.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 07-18-2012 at 16:14.

  27. #98
    Super Moderator
    Admartian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    New Zealand
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Age
    27
    Posts
    13,023
    Rep Power
    128
    Points
    40,454 (0 Banked)
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    Alan Wake was another niche title that MS took a chance with, and it paid off too. Gamers indeed like those unique titles.
    MS do have some niche titles. But I don't believe they're as vigilant in their efforts with that as Sony is.

    I believe the fact that they're selling.sold off a lot of their devs, as well as focusing on the mainstream Kinect crowd; is enough evidence to at least suggest this.

    #IndieStation4 and proud of it.

  28. #99
    Extreme Poster
    mistercrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Posts
    25,535
    Rep Power
    166
    Points
    169,417 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    MS do have some niche titles. But I don't believe they're as vigilant in their efforts with that as Sony is. I believe the fact that they're selling.sold off a lot of their devs, as well as focusing on the mainstream Kinect crowd; is enough evidence to at least suggest this.
    To be fair MS just recently opened up a few more studios. My guess is to get ready for next gen.

  29. #100
    Super Moderator
    Lethal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kansas City
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Age
    34
    Posts
    11,407
    Rep Power
    143
    Points
    78,602 (0 Banked)
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Looks like the PS3 in getting some holiday exclusives this year. LBP Karting and Playstation All-Stars is scheduled to release this holiday season.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.