Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 ... LastLast
    Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceryss23 View Post
    HI guys! I am new here and would like to know if anybody knows if PS3 is better than XBOX 360? I am planning to get one for my boys. I am currently debating between PS# and XBox. I would appreciate for the help, Thanks!
    They are pretty much the same, offering nearly identical gaming experiences. If you are buying for your child, I would buy based on these two things:

1. What do most of their friends play games on? I would get a console that most of their friends use
    2. Do you want to spend money for online access? (Xbox has a fee, PS3 is free)
    3. Finally, do you have a desire or need for a Blul-ray player? (PS3 includes a Blu-ray player)

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceryss23 View Post
    HI guys! I am new here and would like to know if anybody knows if PS3 is better than XBOX 360? I am planning to get one for my boys. I am currently debating between PS# and XBox. I would appreciate for the help, Thanks!
    Both are good, but i'd suggest ps3 is free online while you will have to pay for each user name that uses xbox live.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    If they are going online, the xbox has an amazing set of parental controls that you can use to monitor and restrict activity

Outside of that, i think your best to find out what game their friends play or what their friends have.

Either is good.

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    If they are going online, the xbox has an amazing set of parental controls that you can use to monitor and restrict activity
    That is a good point, and one that I forget about. No service or console comes close to the Xbox Family settings features:

You can enable/disable:

Online gameplay
    Accept Friend requests (adult must approve)
    Purchasing
    Voice messages
    Voice in game
    Text messages
    Video Communication
    Web Browsing on IE
    Kinect Sharing
    Game History
    Online Status
    Video Status
    Friends Lists
    You can have a Family dashboard vs. the Xbox dashboard
    Member content (such as custom created emblems in Call of Duty for example, or livery on Forza cars)
    Explicit music
    Profile viewing
    Family Timer. Daily, how long in 15 minute increments. Weekly and how long in 1 hour increments
    Age appropriate games
    Game Ratings
    Movie/TV viewing ratings

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Or you can get a console that has games they want to play not what their friends want to play.

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    Or you can get a console that has games they want to play not what their friends want to play.
    True. Although it can be a lot of fun playing and communicating with friends online.

Quote Originally Posted by Yungstar 2006
    so... LBP Karting and Wonderbook can be added to the other underperforming exclusives on PS3.
    Shame on LittleBigPlanet under performing. Not surprised with Wonderbook though with the poor advertising and all.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    I'm buying/pre ordering all my games on PSN now as are quite a few people especially with PS+ discounts, so a lot of sales aren't being counted. Also, who actually expected WonderBook to sell well? It's just like Star Wars Kinect which was also just as big a failure. Proof that people want proper games, which I'm happy about, it means they can't go down the casual only route in future which I doubt they would've anyway. Leave that $#@! to Nintendo.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Trust me its a big factor for them as they hit their teen years.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Yeah gaming ain't as good as it used to be that's for sure.

Soldier 95B
    As in this gen, or this time period in this gen?

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    No longer about the SP experience for these kids.
    It sucks, because I love the sense of wonder and fiction SP games bring.

I'm buying/pre ordering all my games on PSN now as are quite a few people especially with PS+ discounts, so a lot of sales aren't being counted. Also, who actually expected WonderBook to sell well? It's just like Star Wars Kinect which was also just as big a failure. Proof that people want proper games, which I'm happy about, it means they can't go down the casual only route in future which I doubt they would've anyway. Leave that $#@! to Nintendo.
    I dont think we expected it to sell, so much as they would push it more.

As for Ninty..go see what A4 have said about the CPU.
    Last edited by mynd; 11-20-2012 at 23:31.

Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    @AaronSOLDIER, I agree wholeheartedly about the single player experience. I prefer it more then anything.

Veteran
    Gonna answer the question:

On the Sony side:
    1. Sony has WAY more exclusives. PS3 owners absolutely must spread themselves thinner due to purchasing multiple awesome games. This is probably not as huge as one may think, IMO, but it's still a factor.
    2. Sony's exclusives cover a wider variety of genres, including less-popular genres, resulting in a diminished consumer base for many of them by comparison to, say, an online bro shooter. And even if they are within popular genres, see #1.
    3. Sony's exclusives are also mostly single player games. The average gamer this generation likes to buy games to play with friends. Even if it means they don't play the game if nobody is around. So it's like #2 and #3 are a two-hit combo against the average Sony exclusive in terms of sales for each release.

On the Microsoft side:
    4. Online bro shooters = what your average gamer likes to play this generation and MS's online bro shooters (Halo, Gears) are the "best", which leads to #5.
    5. X360 is best suited for the online experience thanks to pioneering Xbox Live to be just that, which went alongside pioneering the modern online bro shooter, too, allowing them to remain on top in the genre and in online multiplayer service walking in this gen, which goes hand-in-hand with their exclusives sales (the ones that are online bro shooters).
    6. MS doesn't have many of them and most of them happen to also be the "best" bro shooters, a genre that (nearly) everyone likes...so X360 owners everywhere simultaneously wait for the same few games lol
    7. Kinect happened, which happens to be the most intuitive for the most popular motion genre, Dance.

On the TLDR side:
    Microsoft has the best infrastructure for the most popular genre of this generation, their best exclusives fall in that genre, they have few exclusives which means more concentrated sales to each game, they started this generation with a roadmap of how to be the most effective at these things before it even started, Kinect is more intuitive for popular motion gaming, and its competition doesn't have any of these attributes.
    Last edited by Bio; 11-21-2012 at 01:49.

Quote Originally Posted by Bio
    Yep, NGP will retail at $300. We all know it's going to happen.

Forum Elder
    gaming has never been better, i've played (& enjoyed) more games this gen than on any other previous gen.

15. Likes mistercrow likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Both consoles have some great exclusives but the 360 exclusives tend to have better multiplayer so I tend to keep playing those. The PS3 exclusives have great single player so I play through them once or twice and then I'm done with them. Good multiplayer is what gives a game its legs and keeps you playing it long after the single player is done. Just my opinion of course.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Quote Originally Posted by Yungstar 2006 View Post
    gaming has never been better, i've played (& enjoyed) more games this gen than on any other previous gen.
    Nah I'd definitely take any other gen over this one, this gen has been about multiplayer and social features more than anything else and is the reason I may not even buy any future home consoles.

Forum Elder
    Nah I'd definitely take any other gen over this one, this gen has been about multiplayer and social features more than anything else and is the reason I may not even buy any future home consoles.
    i have got 40+ games this year on ps3, 360 and pc. a recent email from MS told me i had only spent 3 hours gaming online.

while more games may have online play, there are only a handfull that get played that way and most all have a single player story to play through. so i dont know where you get this "this gen is all about multi-player" from, as its anything but.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    I think, it pisses people off a little that every game seems to have multiplayer for no reason. I can think of heaps of single player games that would have been just as good, cheaper to make and come out sooner without mp.

The really stupid thing is, the big games have no peers. Mass effect, ass creed etc all benefited from concentrating on single player.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    i have got 40+ games this year on ps3, 360 and pc. a recent email from MS told me i had only spent 3 hours gaming online.

while more games may have online play, there are only a handfull that get played that way and most all have a single player story to play through. so i dont know where you get this "this gen is all about multi-player" from, as its anything but.
    You know it's had more of a presence this gen than any other so it's pretty obvious really, even the PC hasn't this much forced multiplayer in games. And I'd bet most of those games you played aren't as good as previous gen games either, this gen has took a nose dive in terms of quality games due to lazy/poor/rushed development. Only a handful of devs have actually matched or surpassed their previous gen efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    I think, it pisses people off a little that every game seems to have multiplayer for no reason. I can think of heaps of single player games that would have been just as good, cheaper to make and come out sooner without mp.

The really stupid thing is, the big games have no peers. Mass effect, ass creed etc all benefited from concentrating on single player.
    Tacked on multiplayer, unfinished games requiring a day one patch etc. if this was my first gen of gaming I'd never pick a controller up again.

Soldier 95B
    I agree. This is by far my favorite gen in game in my 40 years. Best single player experiences, as well as multiplayer experience. I have spent more money in games this gen, probably 10 times more money, then any gen. What makes me even happier is that this has been a LONG generation, and I keep getting more and more of those great games and I haven't had to invest in a new console.

22. Likes Yungstar 2006 likes this post
    Forum Elder
    You know it's had more of a presence this gen than any other so it's pretty obvious really, even the PC hasn't this much forced multiplayer in games. And I'd bet most of those games you played aren't as good as previous gen games either, this gen has took a nose dive in terms of quality games due to lazy/poor/rushed development.
    a bet you would not win. the reason i have bought more games this gen is because there are many times more.... better games.

dont want to do a list, but 1st and 3rd person games along with sports/driving games (to mention just a few types) are way better and it matters not if there is a bigger presence this gen of online in games, the overwhelming majority of the games i own, all have a worthy single player campaign.

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    I agree. This is by far my favorite gen in game in my 40 years. Best single player experiences, as well as multiplayer experience. I have spent more money in games this gen, probably 10 times more money, then any gen. What makes me even happier is that this has been a LONG generation, and I keep getting more and more of those great games and I haven't had to invest in a new console.
    i'd be at a loss to understand why "anyone" would see it any other way.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    High ass failure rates, game prices hiked, overpriced DLC that should either have been in the game to start with or is just unnecessary.

Yeah I'm not surprised you've spent more this gen than any other.

a bet you would not win.
    Oh I bet I would, easily. Other than racers and shooters other genres haven't advanced much if at all this gen, even worse is the once mega AAA franchises that have fallen flat on their faces this gen.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    i'd be at a loss to understand why "anyone" would see it any other way.
    Thers a lot of aspects I dont like from this gen, but the single player games themselves are not one of them.
    The frequancy and number probably is.
    I do not recall ever having to worry about only 1 RPG a year before.
    Devs need a way to produce great games and a cheaper and faster rate, and cut some of the fluff.

Recent examples would be Dishonoured and Xcom, both fantastic games that concentrate on gameplay, not production values.

And they shoudlnt be afraid to show us somehting that isnt "realsitic" games are escapisim.

27. Likes AaronSOLDIER likes this post
    Forum Elder
    High ass failure rates, game prices hiked, overpriced DLC that should either have been in the game to start with or is just unnecessary.

Yeah I'm not surprised you've spent more this gen than any other.
    i don't think your quite grasping the point.
    i have bought more games this gen than any other. i.e. games, not DLC.

and because of the amount of great games this gen, it is costing me less to buy each title as i can now wait and get most a few months later when they are cheaper.

at the moment, the games i want to buy next list is standing at 30 (not including any i may want from LIVE or PS+) and this will only continue to increase as i still have quite a few unopened from last xmas/birthday along with those i buy in the STEAM sales. i actually don't think i'll be able to get to play them all before next gen starts..

Oh I bet I would, easily. Other than racers and shooters other genres haven't advanced much if at all this gen, even worse is the once mega AAA franchises that have fallen flat on their faces this gen.
    the reason you wont win the bet?... see the answer i gave above.

Thread Information