Latest PSU headlines:

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7 ... LastLast
    Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by Yungstar 2006 View Post
    UK chart ..
    LBP Karting last week entered at 27, this week down to 29.
    Wonderbook entered this week at 27.
    Playstation All Stars Battle Royal enters the Chart Track uk combined sales chart at 38.
    i'm begining to understand why MS don't waste millions on exclusives that 360 users don't want to buy and why Sony are in a bit of a state.

2. Likes mistercrow wishes they had posted this first.
    Soldier 95B
    Top 30

Xbox 360 format: 14 titles
    PS3 format: 9 titles
    Wii format: 2 titles

Xbox 360 exclusive: 4 titles
    PS3 exclusive: 1 titles
    Wii exclusive: 0 titles

4. Likes mistercrow wishes they had posted this first.
    Elite Member
    Didn't PASBR come out on Friday, the 23rd, of that week?...

That's like...one day of sales, bruh...

I can't imagine anyone expecting it to do MIND-BLOWING day one numbers...

EDIT: ROFL @ doing worse than Family Guy: Back to the Multiverse, tho...there should be a trophy for that...
    Last edited by Suzano-O; 11-26-2012 at 21:55.

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    Quote Originally Posted by Yungstar 2006 View Post
    i'm begining to understand why MS don't waste millions on exclusives that 360 users don't want to buy and why Sony are in a bit of a state.
    There are loads of people out there that enjoy the game though. It may not have charted well in the UK, but other than Fifa, CoD and other well known/established-IPs most games don't do that well in the UK. The market here is crying out for a new console imo

And Sony are definitely not in a state because of a few exclusives here and there - if the games don't break even then there is a problem, but there is other divisions that are more responsible for Sony being in a state.

As for PSABR I think the game just lacked that killer charactar. Whether it be Snake or Cloud, etc. May not have made much of a difference in the end but it could have helped

Be interesting to see how Beyond and TLoU will chart in the UK next year. New IPs at this end of the generation may not sell that well despite the big install bases

UK chart probably mirrors the US chart. Just replace Fifa with Madden, I guess
    Last edited by Nitey; 11-27-2012 at 13:23.

Master Guru
    Microsoft's exclusives sell better than Sony's exclusives because there are far less of them and they're marketed to the moon. Every time a 360 exclusive is released it's like Christmas for Xbox owners. Big launch parties, lots of sales in 24 hours. I hear so much about Sony hyping their games and then every time a 360 exclusive is being released i turn around and there's a Times Square party or something.

If i didn't own a PS3 and all i had to look forward to each year was 2-3 solid retail exclusives i'd run out on day one and buy whatever they released too because i'd be starved for content.

PS3 gamers get options. We can argue all day what exclusives are quality and what aren't. I'd rather have options then be force fed the same franchises over and over. And for the record i'm a huge Gears of War fan, that one franchise is my main reason for loving the 360. The franchise has given me tons of enjoyment this generation.

Halo, Gears, Fable, and Forza are all great franchises but i can find an equal to better exclusive franchise that i enjoy on the PS3 just as much for all of those and then some.

Halo and Killzone are a toss up for me. Gears and Uncharted, same deal. Fable? Nothing that remarkable but solid, i'd rather play Demon's Souls for a 12th time than Fable III for a 3rd time though. Forza? Solid racing franchise but Gran Turismo 5 owns it for me.

What else is left? The random exclusive here and there like Alan Wake? Good game, but for every Alan Wake there's 2-3 games i can point to on the PS3 that have satisfied me. Like Heavy Rain. Like Valkyria Chronicles.

Sometimes less is better. Some people are satisfied with a yearly Halo, Gears, Fable, and Forza. I'm not though, i need variety. It's always been a staple of my gaming experience.

Sony delivers on that front and you can bet if they only released Killzone, Uncharted, Demon's Souls, and Gran Turismo every year or every other year and marketed them to the moon like Microsoft does with their big 4 games they'd get the same sales.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    You can't be starved of games when good multi-patform games come out all the time.
    The reality is most ps3 exclusives cant even compete with a good multi-platform title. Get over it. Most multis are marketed better than sony ever does.
    Last edited by mynd; 12-18-2012 at 06:54.
    2play:Red Dead, GTA 4,Batman AA,Batman AC,Borderlands 2,Enslaved,Sleeping Dogs,Reckoning,DarkSiders,DarkSiders 2,Dark Souls,Dead Space 2,MGS 3,MGS:PW, XCOM:EU,Hitman Absolution,Biosuck Infinite,Assassins Creed 3,Deus Ex,Castlevania, Halo Wars,Civilization,Forza Horizon,Black Ops,Black Ops 2,MW3,LA Noire,Crackdown,Dead Rising 2,Fallout 3, Fallout:NV,RE 4, Bully

9. Likes Yungstar 2006 wishes they had posted this first.
    Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by TDbank24 View Post
    Microsoft's exclusives sell better than Sony's exclusives because there are far less of them and they're marketed to the moon. Every time a 360 exclusive is released it's like Christmas for Xbox owners. Big launch parties, lots of sales in 24 hours. I hear so much about Sony hyping their games and then every time a 360 exclusive is being released i turn around and there's a Times Square party or something. If i didn't own a PS3 and all i had to look forward to each year was 2-3 solid retail exclusives i'd run out on day one and buy whatever they released too because i'd be starved for content. PS3 gamers get options. We can argue all day what exclusives are quality and what aren't. I'd rather have options then be force fed the same franchises over and over. And for the record i'm a huge Gears of War fan, that one franchise is my main reason for loving the 360. The franchise has given me tons of enjoyment this generation. Halo, Gears, Fable, and Forza are all great franchises but i can find an equal to better exclusive franchise that i enjoy on the PS3 just as much for all of those and then some. Halo and Killzone are a toss up for me. Gears and Uncharted, same deal. Fable? Nothing that remarkable but solid, i'd rather play Demon's Souls for a 12th time than Fable III for a 3rd time though. Forza? Solid racing franchise but Gran Turismo 5 owns it for me. What else is left? The random exclusive here and there like Alan Wake? Good game, but for every Alan Wake there's 2-3 games i can point to on the PS3 that have satisfied me. Like Heavy Rain. Like Valkyria Chronicles. Sometimes less is better. Some people are satisfied with a yearly Halo, Gears, Fable, and Forza. I'm not though, i need variety. It's always been a staple of my gaming experience. Sony delivers on that front and you can bet if they only released Killzone, Uncharted, Demon's Souls, and Gran Turismo every year or every other year and marketed them to the moon like Microsoft does with their big 4 games they'd get the same sales.
    All good points TD and I agree. And as much as I like Gears, Halo and Forza playing the same 3 exclusive ips over and over has finally started to wear on me. And sure you could argue that Sony milks certain ips but it doesnt really feel like it when you have such a variety of exclusive ips as well as new exclusive ips to play as well. And Sony is even releasing a new IP despite us nearing the end of this generation. And like I said before Sony must feel that most of these ips are selling enough otherwise they wouldn't be green lighting these sequels.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 12-18-2012 at 07:02.

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    You can't be starved of games when good multi-patform games come out all the time.
    The reality is most ps3 exclusives cant even compete with a good multi-platform title. Get over it. Most multis are marketed better than sony ever does.
    Halo is still in the UK top 5 and while Sony may be offering up more exclusives, people are not really walking out to get them. Never mind run.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    It is noble to be a sacrificial lamb by making games that no one buys. Except of course unless you want to make money. Im happy playing ass creed 3, xcom, dishonoured and halo this xmas, as well as forza horizon. All amzing top selling games.

Meanwhile sony will release their top game next year at time that gta is likely being launched.
    Last edited by mynd; 12-18-2012 at 08:51.
    2play:Red Dead, GTA 4,Batman AA,Batman AC,Borderlands 2,Enslaved,Sleeping Dogs,Reckoning,DarkSiders,DarkSiders 2,Dark Souls,Dead Space 2,MGS 3,MGS:PW, XCOM:EU,Hitman Absolution,Biosuck Infinite,Assassins Creed 3,Deus Ex,Castlevania, Halo Wars,Civilization,Forza Horizon,Black Ops,Black Ops 2,MW3,LA Noire,Crackdown,Dead Rising 2,Fallout 3, Fallout:NV,RE 4, Bully

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by TDbank24 View Post
    Microsoft's exclusives sell better than Sony's exclusives because there are far less of them and they're marketed to the moon. Every time a 360 exclusive is released it's like Christmas for Xbox owners. Big launch parties, lots of sales in 24 hours. I hear so much about Sony hyping their games and then every time a 360 exclusive is being released i turn around and there's a Times Square party or something.

If i didn't own a PS3 and all i had to look forward to each year was 2-3 solid retail exclusives i'd run out on day one and buy whatever they released too because i'd be starved for content.

PS3 gamers get options. We can argue all day what exclusives are quality and what aren't. I'd rather have options then be force fed the same franchises over and over. And for the record i'm a huge Gears of War fan, that one franchise is my main reason for loving the 360. The franchise has given me tons of enjoyment this generation.

Halo, Gears, Fable, and Forza are all great franchises but i can find an equal to better exclusive franchise that i enjoy on the PS3 just as much for all of those and then some.

Halo and Killzone are a toss up for me. Gears and Uncharted, same deal. Fable? Nothing that remarkable but solid, i'd rather play Demon's Souls for a 12th time than Fable III for a 3rd time though. Forza? Solid racing franchise but Gran Turismo 5 owns it for me.

What else is left? The random exclusive here and there like Alan Wake? Good game, but for every Alan Wake there's 2-3 games i can point to on the PS3 that have satisfied me. Like Heavy Rain. Like Valkyria Chronicles.

Sometimes less is better. Some people are satisfied with a yearly Halo, Gears, Fable, and Forza. I'm not though, i need variety. It's always been a staple of my gaming experience.

Sony delivers on that front and you can bet if they only released Killzone, Uncharted, Demon's Souls, and Gran Turismo every year or every other year and marketed them to the moon like Microsoft does with their big 4 games they'd get the same sales.
    Agreed. Nothing wrong with this at all.

Still don't get what's wrong with this post... (doesn't bash the 360 - in fact clearly states "Maybe less is better for some" - /paraphrase).

?

14. Likes MartyRules wishes they had posted this first.
    PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    At the end of the day it boils down to two strategies that have worked equally as well for both companies. Sony goes out on a limb and delivers constant exclusive content to its system and is well known for taking risks. The company is synonymous with exclusives because Sony is a fairly big publishing power in the entertainment industry.

MS relies on tried and tested IPs and has seen that having content unique to the system hasn't been necessary to rake in sales so has clearly not been as much of a focus as it has been for Sony.

To me it marks a different philosophy these companies have about the service they provide to their customers. Sony is delivering the games consistently and I would much rather support a company that has focuses on releasing games instead of media services. It tells me the company has no issue in making games for me even in the face of sales that don't explode like other IPs. This year has been weaker than those before it but next year Sony is bring it BIG time. Releasing 6 new IPs and 2 current ones next year is better than releasing 1 current IP imho...if less is more, and if sales somehow add a special shine to the game, then more power to ya! All that really matters, behind all of this, is that the time you invest in gaming, those precious minutes of life that you will never get back, were spent in a satisfactory manner,and that you feel fulfilled as a gamer. Everything else is subjective and trivial imho.
    Click HERE to create your mercenary and get exclusive in-game items.

THE GREY CARDINAL (eWar Merc) - COVERT SUBTERFUGE (Minmatar Scout)
    CEO of PSU GHOST SYNDICATE - PSU in-game channel: PSU GHOST

Power Member
    Items User name style
    They don't help themselves ay times though, they cant market and they release most of their games at the wrong time of year.

I simply do not buy the "lack of variety" line of thought however, with multiplats alone we are well serviced with games. The reality of a mature market is you don't need show off your console capabilities. It is noble of Sony, but short of launching months before GTA v, the last of us, for example, is just going to be overshadowed.

Sony stacked their exclusives at the wrong end of the products life cycle, I firmly believe that.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    It is noble to be a sacrificial lamb by making games that no one buys. Except of course unless you want to make money. Im happy playing ass creed 3, xcom, dishonoured and halo this xmas, as well as forza horizon. All amzing top selling games. Meanwhile sony will release their top game next year at time that gta is likely being launched.
    Making games that nobody buys? Granted some of their games didnt do that well just (like certain 360 games) but games like GT5 sold 9 million copies and UC3 was around 4 million and others have sold 1 or 2 million so to just broadly say they make games that nobody buys isnt entirely true. Speaking of which Forza Horizon doesnt exactly seem to be burning up the charts despite being a good game. http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/927749-xbox-360/64568755 So I guess MS just made another game that "nobody is buying." So by your logic Forza Horizon is a flop. So is it still a good game? You always say that sub par sales of certain PS3 games means theyre poor games or lack appeal so that would mean in order for your opinion to be consistent and unbiased you would have to declare Forza Horizon a poor game with no appeal because "the sales" have spoken.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 12-18-2012 at 18:59.

18. Likes sainraja wishes they had posted this first.
    PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    They don't help themselves ay times though, they cant market and they release most of their games at the wrong time of year.

I simply do not buy the "lack of variety" line of thought however, with multiplats alone we are well serviced with games. The reality of a mature market is you don't need show off your console capabilities. It is noble of Sony, but short of launching months before GTA v, the last of us, for example, is just going to be overshadowed.

Sony stacked their exclusives at the wrong end of the products life cycle, I firmly believe that.
    TD and others aren't talking about the critical and sales success of the games. More that they enjoy that Sony offers, on top of what is offered by 3rd party, a respectable amount of content. You respond by talking about advertising and release timing etc. It's not the point, people here aren't debating that Sony can't market etc this is clear. I'm also pretty sure that no one here is going to go to the game shop and pass up The Last Of Us JUST because GTA V is on the shelf.

Sony gives you more to reward you for choosing its console in this regard. I don't care if MS's sole 2013 exclusive outsells all of Sony's. Why? Because The Last Of Us, Beyond: Two Souls, Sly 4, Rain, Until Dawn, Puppeteer, God of War: Ascension, Ni no Kuni, DUST 514 and Final Fantasy 14 + 3rd party is a more diverse proposition (in my books) than Gears of War: Judgement + 3rd party. This is the point that has been made here. Sony will suck at advertising these games, they will be released at unfortunate times and I'm sure GTA V will eat up some of the sales (around that time), but that doesn't alter the fact that these games will be out there, ready to satiate the tastes of RPG, platforming, FPS, adventure, hack 'n' slash, MMO RPG and Move/Horror fans on the PS3.

I'll never understand the less-is-more or less-is-fine-by-me mentality. I will choose the buffet that offers me more each time,regardless if I end up eating from all the trays or not. MS's offer over the past few years hasn't enticed me to support their console. I could have bought a 360, 2 or 3 games and a year of Live for what I spent on Vita. While I could have even more buffet variety by visiting the other restaurant as well, I'm simply not going to bother if they don't make my patronage worth while.
    Last edited by Ghost; 12-18-2012 at 18:48.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    TD and others aren't talking about the critical and sales success of the games. More that they enjoy that Sony offers, on top of what is offered by 3rd party, a respectable amount of content. You respond by talking about advertising and release timing etc. It's not the point, people here aren't debating that Sony can't market etc this is clear. I'm also pretty sure that no one here is going to go to the game shop and pass up The Last Of Us JUST because GTA V is on the shelf. Sony gives you more to reward you for choosing its console in this regard. I don't care if MS's sole 2013 exclusive outsells all of Sony's. Why? Because The Last Of Us, Beyond: Two Souls, Sly 4, Rain, Until Dawn, Puppeteer, God of War: Ascension, Ni no Kuni, DUST 514 and Final Fantasy 14 + 3rd party is a more diverse proposition (in my books) than Gears of War: Judgement + 3rd party. This is the point that has been made here. Sony will suck at advertising these games, they will be released at unfortunate times and I'm sure GTA V will eat up some of the sales (around that time), but that doesn't alter the fact that these games will be out there, ready to satiate the tastes of RPG, platforming, FPS, adventure, hack 'n' slash, MMO RPG and Move/Horror fans on the PS3. I'll never understand the less-is-more or less-is-fine-by-me mentality. I will choose the buffet that offers me more each time,regardless if I end up eating from all the trays or not. MS's offer over the past few years hasn't enticed me to support their console. I could have bought a 360, 2 or 3 games and a year of Live for what I spent on Vita. While I could have even more buffet variety by visiting the other buffet as well, I'm simply not going to bother if they don't make my patronage worth while.
    Agreed. Sony offers a more diverse 1st party games library AND all those great 3rd party games. The less is more defense sounds more like damage control to me because it makes no sense from a consumer viewpoint. And as already said nobody is arguing against the fact that Sony has poor marketing and releases games at odd times from a purely business perspective.

PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    Agreed. Sony offers a more diverse 1st party games library AND all those great 3rd party games. The less is more defense sounds more like damage control to me because it makes no sense from a consumer viewpoint. And as already said nobody is arguing against the fact that Sony has poor marketing and releases games at odd times from a purely business perspective.
    Exactly. It's just the nature of the beast. Sony a publishing giant. Movies, music and games. Creating content is second nature to Sony. MS isn't a publishing giant, it's a software and technology company which is why it's OS and online experience runs circles around the PS3s. Both companies have benefited from 3rd party equally...And both have fought admirably with their strengths to come up almost dead equal at the twilight phase of this gen.

If MS and Sony one day magically assimilated each other we would get the perfect gaming eco system.

Soldier 95B
    Yup, nailed it. I have enjoyed multiplatform titles over exclusive titles this gen, by leaps and bounds.

I am not sure why MS exclusives sell more, considering the Xbox has more exclusives and more games in general. I would imagine it is marketing.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Exactly. It's just the nature of the beast. Sony a publishing giant. Movies, music and games. Creating content is second nature to Sony. MS isn't a publishing giant, it's a software and technology company which is why it's OS and online experience runs circles around the PS3s. Both companies have benefited from 3rd party equally...And both have fought admirably with their strengths to come up almost dead equal at the twilight phase of this gen. If MS and Sony one day magically assimilated each other we would get the perfect gaming eco system.
    Agreed. Thats why I always say that if youre a hardcore online multiplayer gamer than 360 is for you and if youre more into epic single player experiences and online play is secondary than the PS3 is for you.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    I am not sure why MS exclusives sell more, considering the Xbox has more exclusives and more games in general.
    lol

Supreme Veteran

Cool

Because Bill gates will send round heavies to collect your Sony PlayStation3 and shit on it...

Telling you that a 360 will get you a girlfriend and your mum will disappear... Plus I believe that

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    You always say that sub par sales of certain PS3 games means theyre poor games or lack appeal so that would mean in order for your opinion to be consistent and unbiased you would have to declare Forza Horizon a poor game with no appeal because "the sales" have spoken.
    Well Forza Horizon suffers very much from "Sony syndrome", it is a classic example of a game being released to compete with another franchise (NFS).

If anything it shows exactly what is wrong with the way Sony do it.
    I never stated anything about quality of the games.

TD and others aren't talking about the critical and sales success of the games.
    Well then maybe they should read the thread title a little better. Because they are way off topic then.

The question isn't who had the best games or most variety.
    Last edited by mynd; 12-18-2012 at 19:10.

Soldier 95B
    Has Microsoft released official sales numbers for Forza Horizon?

PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Well Forza Horizon suffers very much from "Sony syndrome", it is a classic example of a game being released to compete with another franchise (NFS).

If anything it show exactly what is wrong with the way Sony do it.
    I never stated anything about quality of the games.

Well then maybe they should read the thread title a little better. Because they are way off topic then.

Isn't judging a game's performance solely on release time is a very subjective diagnosis of the cause?

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Isn't judging a game's performance solely on release time is a very subjective diagnosis of the cause?
    It's a combination of release schedule, marketing and social awareness.

PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot

Oh yeah, all threads stay on topic 100% of the time . TD made a few points, one of which is that Sony has more games to choose from and that plays a role. Financially speaking, it's easier to buy 1 exclusive a year than it is to buy 10.

Thread Information