Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8 ... LastLast
    Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    Oh yeah, all threads stay on topic 100% of the time . TD made a few points, one of which is that Sony has more games to choose from and that plays a role. Financially speaking, it's easier to buy 1 exclusive a year than it is to buy 10.
    Well, "Sony as a first party publisher on retail disk $60 games" might have more exclusives available compared to "Microsoft Studios first party publisher on retail $60 games". But outside of that small number, the Xbox actually has substantially more exclusives to choose from. So the whole 1 vs. 10 thing here doesn't work.

I have to say it is all in marketing. Our local Best Buy has one FULL aisle more of Xbox games and accessories than the PS3 does. Microsoft, as well as 3rd party accessories seem to be supporting the Xbox a bit more in product and product placement. If MS is dumping millions on shelf space, that alone is going to sway consumers. They will assume the demand is for the green packaging.

Forum Elder
    TD made a few points, one of which is that Sony has more games to choose from and that plays a role. Financially speaking, it's easier to buy 1 exclusive a year than it is to buy 10.
    while true that less games = less spend, it misses the point somewhat.

it would indeed be cheaper if only that 1 exclusive came out a year, but back in the real world there are way more unmissable multi-plats and Arcade tittles to be funded each year.

and while it may be good that Sony had more to choose from. it looks like PS3 owners would rather have a good multi-plat over an average exclusive.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Oh yeah, all threads stay on topic 100% of the time . TD made a few points, one of which is that Sony has more games to choose from and that plays a role. Financially speaking, it's easier to buy 1 exclusive a year than it is to buy 10.
    Isn't that why, historically speaking, that Ratchet games tend to start slow - then end up selling pretty decently (guess you could apply that to any Sony exclusive but they're one of the longer running ones) over time?

As my sig says; worrying too much about what happens in this arena is a really silly "my toy is better than your toy" exercise.

Regardless of whether it has a positive or negative effect on our gaming habits - it's not something to which we have control over, as individuals.
    Be Together - Not the same.

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    The less is more defense sounds more like damage control to me because it makes no sense from a consumer viewpoint.
    didn't MS say that they see no point in releasing certain types of games when other devs are already catering for that segment of gamer?

Thats why I always say that if youre a hardcore online multiplayer gamer than 360 is for you and if youre more into epic single player experiences and online play is secondary than the PS3 is for you.
    you can say, but you'd be wrong.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Well Forza Horizon suffers very much from "Sony syndrome", it is a classic example of a game being released to compete with another franchise (NFS). If anything it shows exactly what is wrong with the way Sony do it. I never stated anything about quality of the games.
    Yes you have. In the past you've cited quality and/or lack of appeal as the reasons.

Soldier 95B
    I like to play with my toy.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    At the end of the day it boils down to two strategies that have worked equally as well for both companies. Sony goes out on a limb and delivers constant exclusive content to its system and is well known for taking risks. The company is synonymous with exclusives because Sony is a fairly big publishing power in the entertainment industry.

MS relies on tried and tested IPs and has seen that having content unique to the system hasn't been necessary to rake in sales so has clearly not been as much of a focus as it has been for Sony.

To me it marks a different philosophy these companies have about the service they provide to their customers. Sony is delivering the games consistently and I would much rather support a company that has focuses on releasing games instead of media services. It tells me the company has no issue in making games for me even in the face of sales that don't explode like other IPs. This year has been weaker than those before it but next year Sony is bring it BIG time. Releasing 6 new IPs and 2 current ones next year is better than releasing 1 current IP imho...if less is more, and if sales somehow add a special shine to the game, then more power to ya! All that really matters, behind all of this, is that the time you invest in gaming, those precious minutes of life that you will never get back, were spent in a satisfactory manner,and that you feel fulfilled as a gamer. Everything else is subjective and trivial imho.
    Exactly. (missed this post earlier)

This is pretty much how I see it. Doesn't mean I don't enjoy gaming on other systems. I just don't like to take in other factors which aren't "gaming" into you know, my gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    I like to play with my toy.
    Me too (why does the rep and like button keep disappearing randomly?). I like to have multiple toys.

I don't want to say out loud what happens when I get excited (or sad) when playing with toys...

/TMI?

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    Me too. I like to have multiple toys.

I don't want to say out loud what happens when I get excited (or sad) when playing with toys...

/TMI?
    I am moist just thinking about it....

Master Guru
    You can't be starved of games when good multi-patform games come out all the time.
    The reality is most ps3 exclusives cant even compete with a good multi-platform title. Get over it. Most multis are marketed better than sony ever does.
    You should read my post again and realize that we're talking about exclusives here. If you wipe away the multiplat games and make exclusives the focal point, then the Xbox 360 is a starved console. That's a fact in my opinion.

The lesser exclusives are few and far between. In my opinion Microsoft had a great couple years to open the generation in the exclusives department. 2009 on? It's mostly been Halo, Gears, Fable, Forza, rinse and repeat. Keep in mind this is retail exclusives i'm talking about. XBLA is great and has had a lot of gems over the years.

Obviously if we're talking about the consoles as a whole both the PS3 and 360 have way more than enough content to satisfy any gamer. At least i'd hope.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    And the point would be that, perhaps sony suppling to an over saturated market means either they miss out or
    Multipats miss out.

As i have repeatedly said, exclusives count for a lot early a console cycle.

At the end of the day exclusives don't compete with the competitions exclusives, unlike you guys seem to think, they compete with multi-plats for the consumers money.

Soldier 95B
    I must resist starting a list war........especially as a mod..........I haz blue balls now.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    I must resist starting a list war........especially as a mod..........I haz blue balls now.
    You mean as an SMC. Your name aint green just yet. lol

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Even if you weren't what would that accomplish? In fact, I say do it. Make you, and mynd, and Yungstar feel better.

Soldier 95B
    I already feel better, because I already know the answers.

15. Likes Yungstar 2006 likes this post
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    I already feel better, because I already know the answers.
    Well there you go. Good for you mate.

THoguh I don't get this notion amongst gamers. No one was hinting at a list. TD's post was mainly about retail; clearly outlined XBLA may be different.

To me, it comes as off insecure, respectfully speaking. If it were the other way around, which you allude it is - then who gives a $#@!?

In any case, pat yourselves on the back fellas.

Hold on, I'll call "Glorious Leader Major Nelson" for this magnificent victory of yours.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    It used to be the other way around and i didn't give a dam then either. The fact that the ps3 has like 15 more exclusives after 6 years is being complety over exaggerated by people. And again, wrong en of the console cycle for it to matter.

Soldier 95B
    Doesn't make any difference to me. The Xbox 360 has been the best gaming experience of my life. Oddly enough, I will probably only be getting a PS4 this next gen, and no Xbox. AND I wouldn't have NOT been AS happy if I didn't own both the Xbox and PS3 this gen. Combined, the experience is untouchable IMO.

As for next gen, both are probably going to be equally fun, but time only permits for one console going forward for me. I will take the free online (at least as of now), unless I hear something about the next consoles that would make me lean one way or the other.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    It used to be the other way around and i didn't give a dam then either. The fact that the ps3 has like 15 more exclusives after 6 years is being complety over exaggerated by people. And again, wrong en of the console cycle for it to matter.
    I always thought it was 1:1 (more or less).
    Doesn't make any difference to me. The Xbox 360 has been the best gaming experience of my life. Oddly enough, I will probably only be getting a PS4 this next gen, and no Xbox. AND I wouldn't have NOT been AS happy if I didn't own both the Xbox and PS3 this gen. Combined, the experience is untouchable IMO.

As for next gen, both are probably going to be equally fun, but time only permits for one console going forward for me. I will take the free online (at least as of now), unless I hear something about the next consoles that would make me lean one way or the other.
    Yeah that's true. Even more so with a capable computer/laptop. Next-gen, I'll take the free-online as well. Prtty much the same approach. But will have to pick up both at some point (the second probably coming at some major price cut etc).

These threads tend to steer everywhere. I think everyone knows the answer though Sony doesn't market as much/as well as MS does. They don't know how/or when to blitz every medium with their games.

They seem very passe about it.

Exclusive or otherwise.

Master Guru
    Go ahead and make your list Soldier. I already know what it will include.

A bunch of 360 exclusives from 2005 when the PS3 wasn't even out. Maybe some 06-07 games. What has Microsoft put out recently is the question? As in the past 4 years, 2008-2012? Not much besides Halo, Gears, Fable, Forza, and Alan Wake. And a slew of XBLA titles.

Nothing wrong with that but claiming the 360 has more core retail exclusives these days is false in my opinion. Sony has been tearing it up the past few years. Releasing games at a 3:1 ratio over Microsoft's offerings.

The whole point isn't which console has more exclusives it's that Sony has been releasing more exclusives over the past few years and that's why their heavy hitters don't stack up to Microsoft's heavy hitters when it comes to sales.

That and Microsoft is king of marketing. I don't think there is one commercial that made me want to buy a game like the Gears of War commercial did in 2006. No gameplay, just emotion. It made me want to know what the game was all about. Without even seeing a glimmer of gameplay.

Sony can market, their commercials have been great over the years. They simply just don't push their games as much as Microsoft does. You can tell who has all their eggs in one basket. That's Microsoft with Halo, Gears, Call of Duty, and Kinect.

That's the last i'll say on this topic. It seems some people simply don't get it. Or they want to believe that Halo and Gears are just miles ahead in quality of every single Sony published exclusive because they rake in all the sales in 24 hours.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by TDbank24 View Post
    Go ahead and make your list Soldier. I already know what it will include.

A bunch of 360 exclusives from 2005 when the PS3 wasn't even out. Maybe some 06-07 games. What has Microsoft put out recently is the question? As in the past 4 years, 2008-2012? Not much besides Halo, Gears, Fable, Forza, and Alan Wake. And a slew of XBLA titles.
    Mas Effect, Bioshock,. Splinter Cell etc were all exclusives at the time of release
    Nothing wrong with that but claiming the 360 has more core retail exclusives these days is false in my opinion. Sony has been tearing it up the past few years. Releasing games at a 3:1 ratio over Microsoft's offerings.
    No one said that. And yu even at 3:1 it took tem tilll November 2010 to get on parity.
    The whole point isn't which console has more exclusives it's that Sony has been releasing more exclusives over the past few years and that's why their heavy hitters don't stack up to Microsoft's heavy hitters when it comes to sales.

That and Microsoft is king of marketing. I don't think there is one commercial that made me want to buy a game like the Gears of War commercial did in 2006. No gameplay, just emotion. It made me want to know what the game was all about. Without even seeing a glimmer of gameplay.

Sony can market, their commercials have been great over the years. They simply just don't push their games as much as Microsoft does. You can tell who has all their eggs in one basket. That's Microsoft with Halo, Gears, Call of Duty, and Kinect.

That's the last i'll say on this topic. It seems some people simply don't get it. Or they want to believe that Halo and Gears are just miles ahead in quality of every single Sony published exclusive because they rake in all the sales in 24 hours.
    Well, Halo and Gears are miles ahead in quality of MOST, not every single Sony published game, no one every said they were.
    Then again, Uncharted is also miles ahead of most Sony published games as well.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Well, Halo and Gears are miles ahead in quality of MOST, not every single Sony published game, no one every said they were.
    Passing off your opinion as gospel fact. Youre doing the exact same thing that youre always accusing PS3 fans of doing.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 12-19-2012 at 06:28.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Passing off your opinion as gospel fact. Youre doing the exact same thing that youre always accusing PS3 fans of doing.
    Halo and Gears are quality titles, they have millions poured into them, that's not disputable at all.
    I'm not referring to weather you like them or not, but you cannot deny the production values and money that is sunk into them.

Same goes for Uncharted, it is a quality title, with millions sunk in to it, and it shows.

The Production quality of title is not subjective, if you enjoy a title or not, thats up to you.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Halo and Gears are quality titles, they have millions poured into them, that's not disputable at all. I'm not referring to weather you like them or not, but you cannot deny the production values and money that is sunk into them. Same goes for Uncharted, it is a quality title, with millions sunk in to it, and it shows. The Production quality of title is not subjective, if you enjoy a title or not, thats up to you.
    I do like Gears and Halo but I wouldn't call their quality miles beyond Killzone for example (since we already mentioned Uncharted) at least as far as SP campaign goes and Killzone 3 definitely looks better than either of those games. And the firefights in Killzone 3 are still unmatched by either of those games as well. Now multiplayer ok, thats a different story. Alot of Sony's 1st party games in other genres have a certain level of polish to them as well. And what has MS been putting out with Halo and Gears level polish for the last 2 or 3 years besides Halo, Gears and Forza? But yet PS3 has TLOU (new ip), Beyond (new ip) and GoW Ascension coming up. What does MS have coming up? Yeah thats right, another Gears now that we just had another Forza and Halo.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 12-19-2012 at 06:55.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    I have seen this "quality" debate before and the end result was: it's all subjective.

Also, no need for lists. It's just a simple misunderstanding of context. We all know that XBLA has an army of games and you could bring out all these titles for stats sake, but how many of these games feature in the game industries eye? Are they on Bonus Round or GTTV? Are they being covered by IGN, Gamespot etc? Not really. Our discussions here are usually based on what games are "relevant" in this regard. Retail games like Uncharted, Gears etc, and downloadable legends like Journey and Mark of the Ninja.

Also, if itis MS's philosophy that "exclusives only matter at the start of a gen" then I definitely won't be jumping on board next gen. I don't give a$#@! about what's bestfor the company,I want what's best for me, and 10 extra titles to choose from on top of the likes of 2013's 3rdparty offerings is what's best for me. I like to feel spoiled as a consumer.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    I do like Gears and Halo but I wouldn't call their quality miles beyond Killzone for example (since we already mentioned Uncharted) at least as far as SP campaign goes and Killzone 3 definitely looks better than either of those games. And the firefights in Killzone 3 are still unmatched by either of those games as well. Now multiplayer ok, thats a different story. Alot of Sony's 1st party games in other genres have a certain level of polish to them as well. And what has MS been putting out with Halo and Gears level polish for the last 2 or 3 years besides Halo, Gears and Forza? But yet PS3 has TLOU (new ip), Beyond (new ip) and GoW Ascension coming up. What does MS have coming up? Yeah thats right, another Gears now that we just had another Forza and Halo.
    Well I agree with just about everything you just said so....uhhhhh.....

Now in saying that I enjoyed the hell out of Halo, Gears and Forza, but more Crackdown, or Rallisport, or Crimson Skies would not go amiss.

At the end of the day, we know MS is working on new IP's, but they aren't for the 360. The PS3 is a year younger than the 360 so it would be worrying if Sony was pulling back like MS is.
    We will just have to wait and see what they bring to the party.

Thread Information