Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation

What's the better console money wise: PS3 or Xbox 360?

A long time ago, maybe around 2-3 years ago, there was a debate about which console was better bang for your buck. No, not video game wise, but hardware and accessory and perhaps online wise. My mind is foggy, but a lot of people stated that the PS3 was the better deal until the XBox 360 Elite came out.

Fast forward 2-3 years. It's 2012. Let's take a look at retail prices of both consoles and see which one is better money wise, whether it's long term or short term.

Xbox 360 250 GB - $299
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Xbox-360-2...inish/19593775

Xbox 360 Kinect Bundle - $299.96
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Xbox-360-S...undle/20441025

PlayStation 3 320 GB - $299
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Playstatio...undle/20863389

PlayStation 3 Move Bundle - $350
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/PlayStatio...-Move/17057058

Other things to consider are the online services and accessory costs.

Note: I know in both retail prices neither console has the same amount of GBs. The PS3 320 GB is closer to the Xbox 360 250 GB, so I used it. I also noticed a 320 PS3 console is not sold at walmart without a bundle. The bundle includes just a game, so I guess you subtract $50-$60.

Now, which console would YOU say is better money wise? It can be in the short term or long term. It can be just the motion gaming bundles or regular console purchasing.

Remember, keep it civil!

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

Forum Elder
    as a new user and with the back catalogue of games now available, has to be PS3 every time.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Personally, for me, I have to use both consoles. So considering which is a better price, I can't make that call for anyone else.

Soldier 95B
    I can't say which is a better value/price either. The PS3 with 320gb looks like a better deal right away because it has Blu-ray. So for those that want Blu-ray movies, it would cost them an Xbox + Blu-ray player. If someone wasn't concerned about Blu-ray, the Xbox gives the user 3 more USB ports than the PS3, gives you wireless N vs. the PS3's b/g, I/R, touch controls, Xbox 360 headset, and 3 months of Xbox Live free. The Xbox seems to have the better value out of the box for dedicated gaming with online.

I should mention that the PS3 gives us 10/100/1000 network card, where as the 360 is only 10/100. So there is a value/price difference there in the PS3 favor. I must admit though, my house is all 1gb connected. The router, the iMacs, the MacBooks, the PS3.....but I have never used or had a need for the 1000 speed to my PS3. Nice to know it's there though.

The value can't be perceived until a gamer found the games that they prefer, the experience that they want, the controller that they like. The PC technically is a better value, since I already have a PC...so that won't cost my any additional money to game it. The games are less expensive, expansions are free, mods are free, no controllers needed, lots of free games as well. Is it the better value for ME though? No, because I don't get any value out of something that doesn't give me a good experience.

It's really a two fold question, but an interesting one at that.

5. Likes The Black Wolf likes this post
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    PS3 for me since i use it for gaming and watching movies on it. Its really 50% movies and 50% gaming use it's really become a part of my living room entertainment

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    Hmm..yeah I'll go with ps3 for the long-term for movies and gaming.

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    The PS3 is an invaluable part of my entertainment set up. Aside from the 3D Blu-ray and gaming/free online play aspect of it, the PS3 media center is an amazing app that gives me full access to all media on my laptop on the PS3 and HDTV. The app does all the conversion PC side so I can watch just about any file format, including mkv and VOB and many others. Furthermore, I can access all of this, and get all of these different media types streamed to my Vita anywhere via wifi through the PS3 and media server. You can get a 160GB PS3 for about 200 on amazon.at, and it does so much for so little. Then there are all of the games, both 1st and 3rd party and many great IPs that are available in bundle sets (Uncharted, Resistance, GoW etc), the greatest hits collection and now games at dirt cheap prices.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    THUGGEDOUT1
    Items LBP ColeLBP SephirothLBP KratosLBP HelgastLBP EzioLBP Cloud
    I own both consoles but coming down do it, PS3, being able to watch my BR movies & play games.

"When I was 12, I milked my eel into a pot of turtle stew. I flogged the one-eyed snake, I skinned my sausage. I made the bald man cry into the turtle stew, which I believe my sister ate. At least I hope she did."

Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    How about when buying a motion gaming bundle? Which console has the better deal when motion gaming?

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    Motion gaming? I'd say Kinect more games for it. .as much as I hate thinking you'd look like an idiot jumping around and all lol

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    THUGGEDOUT1
    Items LBP ColeLBP SephirothLBP KratosLBP HelgastLBP EzioLBP Cloud
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Wolf View Post
    How about when buying a motion gaming bundle? Which console has the better deal when motion gaming?
    I would still say the PS3, the 250gb 360 w/Kinect is $399.00. But again, for me the PS3 has the BR player and then I wouldn't have to pay for online gaming...

"When I was 12, I milked my eel into a pot of turtle stew. I flogged the one-eyed snake, I skinned my sausage. I made the bald man cry into the turtle stew, which I believe my sister ate. At least I hope she did."

Superior Member

in terms of functionality it has to be the ps3, but when it comes to gaming experience it would depend on what appeals to one as a gamer and whether or not they play a lot of multiplatform games. Otherwise, both consoles with the huge catalogue of games out offer exceptional value.
    xbox live: AcrylicAltair44

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Personally, for me, I have to use both consoles. So considering which is a better price, I can't make that call for anyone else.
    I'm kind of in the same boat. Both consoles bring stuff to the table that the other one doesn't.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Value differs for each person so it'll be hard to be very conclusive.

For example, some people may find more value in the fact that you can easily place a 1TB ( or any sized HDD) on the PS3 than the restrictive environment MS has with that. Or that some people may find more value in something as little as say Cross-game chat with the 360 perhaps.

It really does depend.

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    Value differs for each person so it'll be hard to be very conclusive.

For example, some people may find more value in the fact that you can easily place a 1TB ( or any sized HDD) on the PS3 than the restrictive environment MS has with that. Or that some people may find more value in something as little as say Cross-game chat with the 360 perhaps.

It really does depend.
    Funny you should mention the hard drives. For me, I have found more value in the HDD on the 360 because it is portable. I can take it out and put it in any Xbox, at friends, family or even at home in my other Xboxes. I frequently do that since I have many digital games and movies on my HDDs.

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Quote Originally Posted by DeviousOne View Post
    PS3 for me since i use it for gaming and watching movies on it. Its really 50% movies and 50% gaming use it's really become a part of my living room entertainment
    I actually just realised that I have never watched a movie, tv show or even played a music cd on my Xbox 360 before. I solely use it for games, so to me, the PS3 is more valuable. I assume DVDs look better on it but I don't know for sure lol

Elite Member
    For the basic console, without the motion control, PS3 is a better choice in my opinion. It comes with so much already. You can pair any Bluetooth headset or plug in a USB headset, plus the batteries are rechargeable, there are a ton more exclusives coming out nowadays, and it has free online. It functions as a Blu-Ray player as well, so there's a lot of value in that.
    Thanks to Kwesnoth for the sig!

TheCinemaJack Movie Reviews!

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    Funny you should mention the hard drives. For me, I have found more value in the HDD on the 360 because it is portable. I can take it out and put it in any Xbox, at friends, family or even at home in my other Xboxes. I frequently do that since I have many digital games and movies on my HDDs.
    Like I said - it really does depend.

(was that not clear the first time? )

Superior Member
    If you want a console to play movies, I believe the PS3 is a better value because of blu ray. If all you want to do I would say the 360 is the better bargain.
    I don't need no stinkin' signature!

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Man Gamer View Post
    If you want a console to play movies, I believe the PS3 is a better value because of blu ray. If all you want to do I would say the 360 is the better bargain.
    It clearly what games they want to play, and/or they are very multiplayer centric (i.e. the overhyped XGC).

It's a slap to the face of the great PS3 (only) games out there...

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Man Gamer View Post
    Yeah thats a valid point since most 3rd party games are better on 360 along with a better online service and the majority of games you'll be playing on any console including PS3 are you guessed it - 3rd party games.

Soldier 95B
    Like I said - it really does depend.

(was that not clear the first time? )
    You were crystal clear. I was just letting peeps know why I like a portable hard drive is all.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    You were crystal clear. I was just letting peeps know why I like a portable hard drive is all.
    True that.

Not having owned a 360 in years, but is it true that you can use an external HDD now (as in the system storage to install games onto)?

Soldier 95B
    True that.

Not having owned a 360 in years, but is it true that you can use an external HDD now (as in the system storage to install games onto)?
    Well, I was talking about the Xbox 360 HDD is portable (and you can still play the 360 with the HDD removed). But as far as external storage goes, you can use a USB key or any external hard drive and install games, dlc, etc to it...BUT...you can only use 16gb of that storage. You could have a USB key plugged in and use 16gb, plus if you hook up an external hard drive you can get another 16gb. Even if you hook up a 1TB HDD the most you can use is 16gb though. Not sure why the limit, but it is what it is.

I don't add that stuff to my 360 because I don't want things plugged into my USBs if I don't have to. I like a clean look.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Well, I was talking about the Xbox 360 HDD is portable (and you can still play the 360 with the HDD removed). But as far as external storage goes, you can use a USB key or any external hard drive and install games, dlc, etc to it...BUT...you can only use 16gb of that storage. You could have a USB key plugged in and use 16gb, plus if you hook up an external hard drive you can get another 16gb. Even if you hook up a 1TB HDD the most you can use is 16gb though. Not sure why the limit, but it is what it is.

I don't add that stuff to my 360 because I don't want things plugged into my USBs if I don't have to. I like a clean look.
    lol I wouldn't mind a look like that myself.

But that's pretty handy even though it's only 16gb. I think 50gb at the minimum would've been ideal. But I guess they're trying to push proprietary. (I hate it when companies do this)

Thread Information