Latest PSU headlines:

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 818 ... LastLast
    Flaw3d Genius
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    Didnt 360 get announced at E3 then launched the following Fall? Cant remember. Secondly the way MS markets 6 months would be plenty.
    Yep just checked your right! Bring on next box

2. Likes mistercrow wishes they had posted this first.
    Supreme Veteran

Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Cool

ps3 wins because the sony brand in gaming is better known than microsoft

Flaw3d Genius
    Quote Originally Posted by claud3 View Post
    That's that settled!

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Sony console brand has been around longer but both are equally known.

Master Guru
    I would say the PS brand is a little bit more popular than the Xbox brand but both are extremely popular.

I just think Sony is more well known around the world right now. I mean there are probably people in Japan who have never heard of Microsoft or the Xbox with those sales numbers lol.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by TDbank24 View Post
    I would say the PS brand is a little bit more popular than the Xbox brand but both are extremely popular. I just think Sony is more well known around the world right now. I mean there are probably people in Japan who have never heard of Microsoft or the Xbox with those sales numbers lol.
    lol Good one. Anyway I would say in the US the Xbox brand is without a doubt more popular than the PS brand this gen. But the PS brand is the longer established console brand and is definitely more popular in Europe than the Xbox brand. But next gen who knows? Anything can happen.

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    Well if are going by majority, the PS3...HOWEVER, if we are going by quality, then PS3.

C wat i did thar?

9. Likes The Boy From School wishes they had posted this first.
    Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by DreDayDetox View Post
    Well if are going by majority, the PS3...HOWEVER, if we are going by quality, then PS3. C wat i did thar?
    Quality being subjective as we all have different tastes in games.

PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    The Sony brand is in more houses so is probably better known. With over 100 mil PS1s, 150 mil PS2s, 70 mil PS3s, 80 mil PSPs and a few mil Vitas, you're looking at over 400 million Sony game platforms in households. As Rad said though, it has been longer established.
    Last edited by Ghost; 12-28-2012 at 07:35.
    Click HERE to create your mercenary and get exclusive in-game items.

THE GREY CARDINAL (eWar Merc) - COVERT SUBTERFUGE (Minmatar Scout)
    CEO of PSU GHOST SYNDICATE - PSU in-game channel: PSU GHOST

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    The PS3 may have no games... but the 360 has no exclusives

PS4/PS3/X360/WiiU/PC/3DS/PSV

PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Ohhhhhh shit just got real! lol Well, it is the general consensus.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkVincent07 View Post
    And neither is really true. Besides that the 3rd party games dominated this gen tbh. In fact my favorite games this gen were 3rd party games and exclusives on either console make up a small percent compared to the amount of 3rd party games. Do you honestly think 360 only gamers in the real world sit around moping and saying "gee I wish we had some more exclusives."? Only fanboys on internet forums get all worked up over petty stuff like that. Gamers in the real world just play and enjoy the awesome games we've had this gen instead of sitting on some forum having list wars in a futile attempt to prove that "my console is better than yours." Its just so lame. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    Ohhhhhh shit just got real! lol Well, it is the general consensus.
    Maybe on this forum and of internet fanboys in general. lol

The Sony brand is in more houses so is probably better known. With over 100 mil PS1s, 150 mil PS2s, 70 mil PS3s, 80 mil PSPs and a few mil Vitas, you're looking at over 400 million Sony game platforms in households. As Rad said though, it has been longer established.
    But to be fair the topic is about PS3 vs 360. And the Xbox brand has successfully blackened the eye of the PS brand by taking a good chunk of Sony's marketshare and even mindshare. Certain people dont like to admit that but its still true. Now thats "getting real." lol Next gen who knows what will happen.
    Last edited by Black; 12-28-2012 at 08:59. Reason: Triple posting! :O

PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Maybe on this forum and of internet fanboys in general. lol
    I was referring to the gaming media's consensus more than anything. I have seen it said often on shows aired at gametrailers.com, like Bonus Round for instance. Whenever companies like IGN or Gamespot talk about the exclusive realm, they always say, and have said for the past few years, that MS is light on the exclusives when compared to Sony. Of course they don't count all the Kinect games and XBLA content that often gets mentioned here...They are talking about the kind of games that are relevant to their audiences (enthusiast/hobbyist gamers aka core).

But to be fair the topic is about PS3 vs 360. And the Xbox brand has successfully blackened the eye of the PS brand by taking a good chunk of Sony's marketshare and even mindshare. Certain people dont like to admit that but its still true. Now thats "getting real." lol
    Well yeah that is the topic but the sub topic of brand recognition came up. Brand recognition and console recognition aren't the same. Of course MS has taken market and mind share this gen, but nearing 2 decades and 400 million devices in homes leaves a legacy that will be hard to beat in the minds and memories of millions of gamers around the world.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Saying 360 has been light on exclusives lately (or at least new ones) is a far cry from just saying 360 has no exclusives which is what I was responding to. Also this xmas holiday the 360 had the better exclusives then the PS3 did. Secondly the gaming media is a total joke this gen so I dont really care much what they have to say. What passes for journalism today is mostly nothing more than stirring the pot in order to get hits on their sites. I have zero respect for the gaming media because they have zero integrity and therefore zero credibility. And dont forget thats also the same gaming media that jumped on the Sony bash wagon saying PS3 is doomed back in the early PS3 days just trying to work people up to get hits.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 12-28-2012 at 09:49.

Soldier 95B

lol Good one. Anyway I would say in the US the Xbox brand is without a doubt more popular than the PS brand this gen. But the PS brand is the longer established console brand and is definitely more popular in Europe than the Xbox brand. But next gen who knows? Anything can happen.
    In the US, I believe Sony, as far as hardware is concerned, is known by a larger portion of the population. I am talking TV's, phones, etc. However, I think the Xbox branding hit a stride in the US with marketing that targeted the US population. I am completely surprised that the Xbox has dominated so much like it has here. When people think of hardware, Microsoft is not usually on their list.

Quote Originally Posted by TDbank24 View Post
    I would say the PS brand is a little bit more popular than the Xbox brand but both are extremely popular.

I just think Sony is more well known around the world right now. I mean there are probably people in Japan who have never heard of Microsoft or the Xbox with those sales numbers lol.
    I agree with this. I would actually say the PS "brand" is much more known, but has missed a step this gen. Why? That is anyone's guess. But the step that was missed hasn't hindered our gaming experience. And apparently sales of the PS3 is where Sony wants them, so that too is a success. There is room for 3 consoles. They all have pretty close to equal marketshare, and they all seem to appeal to different consumers.

I agree with Sony branding, as far as consoles and hardware. However, with Microsoft Windows, I think that Microsoft brand overall is in more houses. But man, I just don't like Windows. Mac OSX FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by DarkVincent07 View Post
    Last edited by Soldier 95B; 12-28-2012 at 12:32.

18. Likes The Boy From School, Ghost wishes they had posted this first.
    PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Saying 360 has been light on exclusives lately (or at least new ones) is a far cry from just saying 360 has no exclusives which is what I was responding to. Also this xmas holiday the 360 had the better exclusives then the PS3 did. Secondly the gaming media is a total joke this gen so I dont really care much what they have to say. What passes for journalism today is mostly nothing more than stirring the pot in order to get hits on their sites. I have zero respect for the gaming media because they have zero integrity and therefore zero credibility. And dont forget thats also the same gaming media that jumped on the Sony bash wagon saying PS3 is doomed back in the early PS3 days just trying to work people up to get hits.
    I'm pretty sure, unless he was being sarcastic, that Mr Dark wasn't implying the 360 has NO exclusives . Probably more along the lines of "is light on"...The "better" exclusives this holiday sentiment might be wondering close to Subjectiveville, as with everything else we talk about here, unless you are referring to sales or review scores. I've been with PlayStation since the beginning and a brawler celebrating all the characters I met along the way is a better game than another installment of an staple FPS.

I agree that today's game journalism scene is filled with a lot of BS, but there is also a lot of good content being provided by select companies. I follow gametrailers.com mostly, it is a very professional site and has a lot of integrity imho. Geoff Keighley is a very respectable face for the site and I feel that the other content providers have a good grasp on the industry.

It's one of those things I mentioned in PM, part of the ongoing paper, scissors, rock type situations that console have regarding their strengths and weaknesses.

Anyway, who gives a fuck? lol I don't really care, I'm gonna go make a coffee, have a smoke and play some games.

Supreme Veteran

I do know both are well known, but Sony are from the land of gaming aliens and Microsoft is from the land of the forbidden fruits...

You either are known well or not

21. Likes Nitey wishes they had posted this first.
    Forum Elder
    The Sony brand is in more houses so is probably better known. With over 100 mil PS1s, 150 mil PS2s, 70 mil PS3s, 80 mil PSPs and a few mil Vitas, you're looking at over 400 million Sony game platforms in households.
    all that shows is just how far Sony have fell and that the Sony brand is not helping them at all this gen.

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    Sony brand has helped them shift 70m overpriced console with no games I think it's doin alright. It's still a very desirable product

The brand has been roughed a little since the PS2 days without question, but that doesn't mean it has no pulling power, or it's causing them more harm then good. Without PS/Sony stamped on the front it would have flopped at it's price and early-gen conundrums

Let's hope lessons have been learnt going forward! Imagine how many they sell if they get the formula right :O

PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Yungstar 2006 View Post
    all that shows is just how far Sony have fell and that the Sony brand is not helping them at all this gen.
    You say that Sony fell, I say MS caught up, and deservingly so. It's all a matter of perspective,see? PS3 is more expensive and has only had a fraction of the advertising that the 360 had, yet it's still neck and neck (give or take a few million) despite being on the market 1 year less. Some could perceive that as proof that Sony's brand remains strong, as MS were a staunch and stoic juggernaut this gen. People might also remember that Sony isn't a one trick pony, they have had the PSP out since around the time 360 launched. Sony has sold more PSPs than MS has 360s. Combined, that's 150 million devices this gen. But of course this probably doesn't matter does it (for whatever reason)? We could dance like this all day, contorting history and numbers to suit subjective point of views, which is all pretty pointless isn't it.

Ancient
    Quote Originally Posted by Yungstar 2006 View Post
    I think it is, I can assure you if the tables was turned and it was MS they wouldn't have shifted 70 mill, especially coming off the original Xbox
    So the brand obviously did play a part in it, if that was the Sony or PlayStation name is a different subject

Sent via Codec

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Forum Elder
    You say that Sony fell, I say MS caught up, and deservingly so. It's all a matter of perspective,see?
    perspective has bugger all to do with it. its a matter of figures and PS3 has lost a massive amount of market share.

PS3 is more expensive and has only had a fraction of the advertising that the 360 had, yet it's still neck and neck (give or take a few million) despite being on the market 1 year less.
    going from an overwhelming commanding market share lead to neck and neck in a generation against a console that charges to play online and that suffered badly with the RRoD, can't ever be seen as any thing other than a fall.

Some could perceive that as proof that Sony's brand remains strong, as MS were a staunch and stoic juggernaut this gen.
    losing massive market share is not the sign of a strong brand.

People might also remember that Sony isn't a one trick pony, they have had the PSP out since around the time 360 launched. Sony has sold more PSPs than MS has 360s.
    while they may have sold more PSP's than MS have sold 360's. it is a wrong comparison, you should look at Nintendo for a comparison of console/handheld sales as they are also not a one trick pony.

horses for courses as it were.

Combined, that's 150 million devices this gen. But of course this probably doesn't matter does it (for whatever reason)? We could dance like this all day, contorting history and numbers to suit subjective point of views, which is all pretty pointless isn't it.
    you appear to be he one who is trying to spin the numbers to suit. i simply use the fact of where Sony were last gen to where they are now. no spin, no made up numbers, no adding in sales of handhelds to make something look better.

27. Likes mistercrow wishes they had posted this first.
    PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    lol Ok dude. You are 100% right. I feel better knowing that you will sleep better at night having proven how far Sony has plummeted.

29. Likes Nitey wishes they had posted this first.
    Ancient
    PS3 70+mill sold
    360 70+mill sold
    I think he is right Ghost, Sony has fallen very far, I think Sony should quit

Sent via Codec

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by TGO View Post
    PS3 70+mill sold
    360 70+mill sold
    I think he is right Ghost, Sony has fallen very far, I think Sony should quit

Sent via Codec
    Man, how retarded of me, I do see the error of my point of view on this matter now. Sony has a 50/50 market share with MS in the HD console arena. The fact that Sony went from a dominant position last gen to an equal one marks a complete failure on Sony's account.

Thread Information