Latest PSU headlines:

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 414 ... LastLast
    Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    BF3 is still linear it just has bigger environments.
    He said exactly what you just said. It has bigger environments. Uncharted, all versions of it, are what i call 'funnel' shooters. You get this illusion through smoke and mirrors that you are in this large, interactive world, but in reality you are only going to see a fraction of it. Alan Wake was the same way. Large expanses for eye candy, but you still have your "path".

All he is saying is BF3's path is much larger than most funneled shooters.

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    BF3 is still linear it just has bigger environments.
    I was talking more about the multiplayer aspect of BF3, which is not linear and has expansive environments. The multiplayer in BF3 looks better than the single player & multiplayer of UC3, and even better than Gears 3.

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    God of War 3 is the best looking game this generation [on consoles], it's absolutely mindblowing at times, not sure why it gets overlooked when it comes to graphics - it's better than the Uncharted's as far as I'm concerned. Ascention will top it as the best looking game when it comes out - the E3 demo, while a bit of a dull demo, looks like it's gonna be another mindblowing experience

4. Likes Ghost wishes they had posted this first.
    PSU Editorial Assistant
    PSN ID
    Diablo_Rosso
    Items User name styleManchester UnitedPlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    I am still waiting for a game to beat out Battlefield 3 graphically on either console. Based on what I have seen so far that we have videos of, Halo 4 is looking to take the crown.
    Battlefield 3 on console looks like crap compared to the PC version. The best looking FPS on console is Killzone 3.

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by R3D D3V!L View Post
    Battlefield 3 on console looks like crap compared to the PC version.
    Everything on console looks like crap compared to PC.

PSU Editorial Assistant
    PSN ID
    Diablo_Rosso
    Items User name styleManchester UnitedPlayStation
    Everything on console looks like crap compared to PC.
    Not everything. God of War 3, Uncharted 3, Killzone 3 look very good and I'd place them up there with the PC's finest. Not at the top, since the best looking PC games do look better but the gap isn't as wide as it could be. All thanks to the talents of Sony's top developers. Imagine what they can do with more powerful hardware *salivates*

Elite Guru
    Dislikes Bigdoggy disliked this post
    Not a fan of Kratos?

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitey View Post
    Not a fan of Kratos?
    Gotta side with the Bigdoggy here... I played GOW3 through, and it is ok, but I wouldn't rank it in the top 5 of my gfx faves.

Elite Sage
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DS
    Uncharted 3 is definitely the game that's blown me out the most when it comes to console graphics. Battlefield 3 was amazing too, but I was more blown away by U3 and KZ3 to be honest. Animation wise, Uncharted 3 also takes the cake, but I'm sure The Last of Us and Beyond will top it by far.
    |My Playfire|My Deviantart|
    - SIG BY MY SISTER-

PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorzilla View Post
    Uncharted 3 is definitely the game that's blown me out the most when it comes to console graphics. Battlefield 3 was amazing too, but I was more blown away by U3 and KZ3 to be honest. Animation wise, Uncharted 3 also takes the cake, but I'm sure The Last of Us and Beyond will top it by far.
    Yeah, Beyond and TLOU have both got awesome animations and Beyond just looks stellar.
    Click HERE to create your mercenary and get exclusive in-game items.

THE GREY CARDINAL (eWar Merc) - COVERT SUBTERFUGE (Minmatar Scout)
    CEO of PSU GHOST SYNDICATE - PSU in-game channel: PSU GHOST

Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    Not a fan of Kratos?
    actually, I swear I thought you said Gears of War o.O.

Soldier 95B
    Not everything. God of War 3, Uncharted 3, Killzone 3 look very good and I'd place them up there with the PC's finest. Not at the top, since the best looking PC games do look better but the gap isn't as wide as it could be. All thanks to the talents of Sony's top developers. Imagine what they can do with more powerful hardware *salivates*
    No biggie, we all have differing opinions.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Uncharted 3 maybe comparable but I disagree with the others. KZ3 looked pretty much like KZ2 and the helghast jungle level in KZ3 had some god awful looking textures everywhere. That was one ugly level. And to say PS3 games graphics are right up there with PC's finest is just plain laughable.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 07-18-2012 at 07:19.

15. Likes Yungstar 2006 wishes they had posted this first.
    Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    Yeah, Beyond and TLOU have both got awesome animations and Beyond just looks stellar.
    Beyond like Heavy Rain will be pretty much an interactive movie although I enjoyed Heavy Rain for its story so I'll be renting Beyond as well. But TLOU definitely looks epic. Looking very forward to playing that. ND are amazing developers.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Unfortunately, UC3, while looking really good, is an extremely linear experience. Battlefield on the other hand, HUGE environments, lots of AI, lots of vehicles including jets and copters, great character animations, lots of destruction, tons of debris, tons of smoke, ashes, fire, tons and tons of physics, and still looks awesome and is the pinnacle of console graphics. Frost Bite engine is rockin' like dokken.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuguy View Post
    He said exactly what you just said. It has bigger environments. Uncharted, all versions of it, are what i call 'funnel' shooters. You get this illusion through smoke and mirrors that you are in this large, interactive world, but in reality you are only going to see a fraction of it. Alan Wake was the same way. Large expanses for eye candy, but you still have your "path".

All he is saying is BF3's path is much larger than most funneled shooters.

In regards to linear experiences, I don't understand the gasping and gnashing of teeth that gamers generally have in response to this.

Most linear games aren't actually bad. Like everything else in life, it is whether the developers execute the narrative and game play to match the type of linear experience they want the player to have.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    In regards to linear experiences, I don't understand the gasping and gnashing of teeth that gamers generally have in response to this.

Most linear games aren't actually bad. Like everything else in life, it is whether the developers execute the narrative and game play to match the type of linear experience they want the player to have.
    I have ZERO problems with linear games. I have problems with people who try to make it sound like linear shooters are so epic in scale. KZ, Gears, Uncharted, etc... all of those give healthy illusions of grandeur, hell even God of War is the same. It is all smoke and mirrors. However, there are those here and on other boards who boast on and on about how large the draw distance is, and how epicly large the area is, when in reality, the game is taking place in a minute section of it. You will never interact with, or walk in most areas in KZ and Gears.

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post

Don't forget the amount of graphical prowess they are able to bring forth in games that are restricted on where you can go, etc.

Elite Guru
    Gotta side with the Bigdoggy here... I played GOW3 through, and it is ok, but I wouldn't rank it in the top 5 of my gfx faves.
    Same. Gears had some nice smoke bomb particles (or whatever), nothing spectacular compared to other console games. God of War on the other hand... wooooosh!

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Same. Gears had some nice smoke bomb particles (or whatever), nothing spectacular compared to other console games. God of War on the other hand... wooooosh!
    I actually MEANT God of War 3 It just was a let down once I played. I haven't played Gears 3 yet.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    I have ZERO problems with linear games. I have problems with people who try to make it sound like linear shooters are so epic in scale. KZ, Gears, Uncharted, etc... all of those give healthy illusions of grandeur, hell even God of War is the same. It is all smoke and mirrors. However, there are those here and on other boards who boast on and on about how large the draw distance is, and how epicly large the area is, when in reality, the game is taking place in a minute section of it. You will never interact with, or walk in most areas in KZ and Gears.
    That is true. Though it doesn't bother me too much.

I actually find the smoke and mirrors aspect (as in how devs do it for their respective games) quite interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Don't forget the amount of graphical prowess they are able to bring forth in games that are restricted on where you can go, etc.
    Plus all the action that they can pack in.

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    God of War was a stunner visually, but not a revolution in gameplay. It had some epic scenes and it was brutal and bloody. There are games out there look equal or even better. For example, Max Payne 3 is visually stunning, especially the chapter when he is in Brazil.

Ultimate Veteran
    Items DreamcastPlayStationNintendoBullyGTA ClaudeFinal Fantasy IX
    Yeah, Max Payne 3 looks amazing - thanks to their RAGE engine. I'm excited to see what Rockstar Games will do with the Bully sequel, seeing as how the original focused more on the attention to detail than the size of the world map.

3DS Friend Code: 1349-4916-2054

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    I actually MEANT God of War 3 It just was a let down once I played. I haven't played Gears 3 yet.
    The lighting engine in Gears 3 is stunning imo. Even more so in the Raams Shadow singleplayer DLC. Wow.

Soldier 95B
    I prefer linear games. Not because they are linear though. Just so happens most of the games I find myself enjoying happen to be linear. I am talking Single Player here. Multiplayer, give me BIG, OPEN, WIDE!

27. Likes Admartian wishes they had posted this first.
    Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I prefer games that I buy. LOL.

29. Likes Admartian wishes they had posted this first.

Thread Information