Page 1 of 4 1 ... LastLast

Thread: Convince me.

Editor & Moderator
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX

Convince me.

A couple months ago, I let my Xbox LIVE gold membership expire. It wasn't because I wasn't interested in having a LIVE account, but more so because I hadn't started my new job and therefore was broke. Right now I'm sitting on a pretty good amount of money, though, and while at one point it would have been an obvious decision to renew it, I'm beginning to second guess it.

So what I'm looking for with this thread is for you to convince me why I should renew my Xbox LIVE membership. I'm hoping that a little bit of discussion about it will help me make an informed decision that I'm happier with a month from now.
    Read my work on Medium, my blog, and connect with me on Twitter.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Do you have the time to take advantage of a paid membership? If you've had it before you def know all the advantages of having the account. For me a decision would be based on long term use and value your going to get out of it cause its money out of your pocket

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Editor & Moderator
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX
    Quote Originally Posted by DeviousOne View Post
    Do you have the time to take advantage of a paid membership? If you've had it before you def know all the advantages of having the account. For me a decision would be based on long term use and value your going to get out of it cause its money out of your pocket
    To be honest, I really don't know all of the advantages of having an account. It wasn't until recently that I started becoming interested in the plethora of other features available to me, mainly because I knew my membership was running out and I wouldn't be able to take advantage of them for long.

I could easily look up all of the features available to gold membership users, but that would likely take me to the Xbox.com website, which would do nothing more than make the features available to me sound ten times better than they actually are (in theory). So what I'm really looking for, I guess, is to get an unbiased opinion on what Xbox LIVE really offers and how good those features and services actually are.

I can easily be told that I can get "cutting edge access" to something or another, but if the Xbox website didn't say that I think they'd need to hire a new sales manager.

I'm looking through what the official Xbox site has to say about it at the moment, but again, I think I can get a much better idea about whether or not LIVE is a good decision for me by hearing what some of you guys have to say about it. What do you like? Dislike? How do certain aspects of it compare to PSN and PS+?

Super Carlton
    PSN ID
    JMEWalterblack
    Items PS3 Slim360 SlimiPhone 4 BlackGears of WarGoogle ChromeManchester UnitedUser name style
    I would but i cant, i dont game online hardly anymore and with this gen dying out......i wont be renewing mine

Thanks to Final for the sick sig!

Dedicated Member
    Why not just look on line and convince yourself?

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by three3-times View Post
    I would but i cant, i dont game online hardly anymore and with this gen dying out......i wont be renewing mine
    I would imagine that your xbox live account would be transferable to a next gen xbox? Was this not the case with Xbox to Xbox360 accounts? Im curious I dont not KNOW since i've never owned an xbox console

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    You either wanna play the 360 games online or you don't. That's all you really needed to know.

Editor & Moderator
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX
    After looking online I'm almost tempted to buy an entirely new Xbox... The new ones sound so much better than my old Elite.

Soldier 95B

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    uberman6352
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    You either wanna play the 360 games online or you don't. That's all you really needed to know.

I agree.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Thats really what it comes down to right there.

Editor & Moderator
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX
    Well, I figure with the release of Halo 4 on the horizon I'm going to want to jump in on the action. So, I renewed my gold membership. I figure that along the way there will be other 360 games I'd like to try out online, so it'll be worth it in the long term. Plus it'll be nice having another device that can use Netflix and all of that good stuff.

I also purchased an additional 800 MS points to change my gamertag. Anyone have any gamertag ideas to throw out there?

Elite Guru
    Items Naughty DogMetal Gear SolidPlayStation
    How about the same as your PSN ID?

Forum Elder
    29 for 14 months off Ebay, bit of a bargain.... i'd say.

Quote Originally Posted by SchaffinOSX View Post
    Well, I figure with the release of Halo 4 on the horizon I'm going to want to jump in on the action. So, I renewed my gold membership. I figure that along the way there will be other 360 games I'd like to try out online, so it'll be worth it in the long term. Plus it'll be nice having another device that can use Netflix and all of that good stuff.

I also purchased an additional 800 MS points to change my gamertag. Anyone have any gamertag ideas to throw out there?
    add me up dstevens

El Presidente
    It's only fifty bucks a year isn't it? I guess that's a lot if you don't plan to play online at all. I never planned to play ME3 online but have found myself playing it and enjoying it. So you may end up playing something online you didn't plan to, ya never know.

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

PSU Technical Advisor
    1. Do you have a gaming PC and/or PS3?
    2. Do you have a ton of friends on XBL?

If the answer to these questions are "yes" and "no" respectively, don't get XBL.

Unless you have a ton of exclusive titles that are a joy online (e.g. Halo, Gears).

Elite Member
    If you plan on playing games like Halo 4, then you really have no choice, and what sucks is that the other features aren't worth $#@! unless you put in even more money for something like Netflix or Amazon Prime.

$#@! you, Microsoft

-it's MICROSOFT. No fanboy terminology -Cuguy

Tapatalking from my bed. Ya mutha says hi.
    Last edited by Cuguy; 07-18-2012 at 16:41.
    Thanks to Kwesnoth for the sig!

TheCinemaJack Movie Reviews!

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    If you plan on playing games like Halo 4, then you really have no choice, and what sucks is that the other features aren't worth $#@! unless you put in even more money for something like Netflix or Amazon Prime.

$#@! you, Micro$oft.

Actually, you have a choice, 100%. You either want to play online, and/or use the Gold features, or you don't. One side, you pay for the services to use them. The other side, you don't. See, that's a choice.

PSU Technical Advisor
    Actually, you have a choice, 100%. You either want to play online, and/or use the Gold features, or you don't. One side, you pay for the services to use them. The other side, you don't. See, that's a choice.
    Yea, but his point is not all that dissimilar from saying: "Ok States, you can either accept our Federal Healthcare plan, or decline but lose the majority of your federal funding for everything else. See, you actually do have a choice! We're giving you options!"

Yea uh huh. I agree with what he's getting at, you can't just spend the several hundred dollars on the xbox and the game and play with your internet connection (that you pay for). You must then pay Microsoft for a service which, comparatively speaking, is inferior just to unlock the (potentially) one feature you really want: online multiplayer.

They screw you coming and going with points to. It's all part of the plan.

The only thing Xbox Live really has going for it is: its huge install base, stability, group chat.

And really given that party chat exists on PS+ and the PS Vita and PSN has become much more stable lately.. I don't see why I should fork out cash.

STEAM>Everything, naturally.
    Last edited by Vulgotha; 07-18-2012 at 02:10.

21. Likes Admartian likes this post
    Elite Member
    Fine, you buy Halo 4 and completely ignore the online multiplayer. That's a $20 game you've got now, for the low price of $60!

Thanks to Kwesnoth for the sig!

TheCinemaJack Movie Reviews!

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    Yea, but his point is not all that dissimilar from saying: "Ok States, you can either accept our Federal Healthcare plan, or decline but lose the majority of your federal funding for everything else. See, you actually do have a choice! We're giving you options!"

Yea uh huh. I agree with what he's getting at, you can't just spend the several hundred dollars on the xbox and the game and play with your internet connection (that you pay for). You must then pay Microsoft for a service which, comparatively speaking, is inferior just to unlock the (potentially) one feature you really want: online multiplayer.

They screw you coming and going with points to. It's all part of the plan.

The only thing Xbox Live really has going for it is: its huge install base, stability, group chat.

And really given that party chat exists on PS+ and the PS Vita and PSN has become much more stable lately.. I don't see why I should fork out cash.

STEAM>Everything, naturally.
    There are features other than "online game play", that are built into the online playing.
    Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Fine, you buy Halo 4 and completely ignore the online multiplayer. That's a $20 game you've got now, for the low price of $60!

That doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    Yea, but his point is not all that dissimilar from saying: "Ok States, you can either accept our Federal Healthcare plan, or decline but lose the majority of your federal funding for everything else. See, you actually do have a choice! We're giving you options!" Yea uh huh. I agree with what he's getting at, you can't just spend the several hundred dollars on the xbox and the game and play with your internet connection (that you pay for). You must then pay Microsoft for a service which, comparatively speaking, is inferior just to unlock the (potentially) one feature you really want: online multiplayer. They screw you coming and going with points to. It's all part of the plan. The only thing Xbox Live really has going for it is: its huge install base, stability, group chat. And really given that party chat exists on PS+ and the PS Vita and PSN has become much more stable lately.. I don't see why I should fork out cash. STEAM>Everything, naturally.
    Live is an "inferior service comparatively speaking" to PSN? First time I've ever heard somebody try to claim that. Now if youre trying to say that PSN is a better value then I'm with you. PSN with PS+ is a much better value for your money than XBL gold imo.

Master Poster
    Items VitaLiverpool360 SlimPS3 FatGoogle Chrome
    The only reason why i am even keeping my 360 is because of a game called class 3 ( open world zombie survival, but its a arcade game but not much of a issue)

PSU Technical Advisor
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    Live is an "inferior service comparatively speaking" to PSN? First time I've ever heard somebody try to claim that. Now if youre trying to say that PSN is a better value then I'm with you. PSN with PS+ is a much better value for your money than XBL gold imo.
    I'm saying its a better value and objectively a better service cost wise.

Thread Information