Latest PSU headlines:

View Poll Results: Will you miss the PS3?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it was an excellent gaming device

22 66.67%
  • No, it didn't live up to hype, can't wait for PS4

11 33.33%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I voted no. Dont get me wrong I enjoy my PS3 but it did really fail to live up to the hype especially considering some of the things Sony promised that Blacksite covered in his post. Sure theres been a few great exclusives that I love, bluray and free online but there has also been alot of vastly inferior ports of 3rd party multiplatform games that has tainted the PS3 experience for me as well. And even some exclusives that I had high hopes for but disappointed me. My favorite Sony consoles are in this order starting favorite to least favorite - PS2, PS1, then PS3. Sony just doesn't seem like the same Sony that rocked me with the PS1 and PS2. IMO Theyre a shadow of their former self. That being said I think Sony has learned some hard lessons this gen and I believe the PS4 will prove that. At least thats my firm hope.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 07-25-2012 at 01:50.

Ancient
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    I voted no. Dont get me wrong I enjoy my PS3 but it did really fail to live up to the hype especially considering some of the things Sony promised that Blacksite covered in his post. Sure theres been a few great exclusives that I love, bluray and free online but there has also been alot of vastly inferior ports of 3rd party multiplatform games that has tainted the PS3 experience for me as well. And even some exclusives that I had high hopes for but disappointed me. My favorite Sony consoles are in this order starting favorite to least favorite - PS2, PS1, then PS3. Sony just doesn't seem like the same Sony that rocked me with the PS1 and PS2. IMO Theyre a shadow of their former self. That being said I think Sony has learned some hard lessons this gen and I believe the PS4 will prove that. At least thats my firm hope.
    Funny you should say yeah it was great but inferior ports, cuz every multiplatform game was inferior on PS2, and it was geometrically noticeable
    But in general I can't knock the PS3, what it was/is lacking is nothing to do with the console as its even more so on other consoles, I'd say developers have wasted our time and money this gen

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    This might be a shocker but I also voted no - Online Passes, I can't forgive them for going that route. Sony better play it in our favor next generation instead of trying to tame us with that bull$#@!.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    It will def be interesting when the transition happens currently im enjoying the ish outta my ps3 lol

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Superior Member
    Though the PS3 is lacking a lot of what the PSX and PS2 had -that's the generation period and not just the PS3- I have enjoyed it the most out of all 3 consoles. i think that the best games on the PS3 are better than the best games on the first two. I think that the PS3 did not reach its potential outside of Sony's first party due to most third party devs going multiplat and the 360 dvd9 holding it back and Japan being disappointing.

Super Elite
    I just can't love the PS3 like I desired, by far I've had a greater gaming experience playing PS2 games I've hunted down on it. It has some good games of course but gaming in general has gone down a few pegs I feel so eh, hopefully I'll have better luck next gen if I buy a console at all

1- PS2
    2- PS1
    3- PS3
    if I am in the PS3 or 360 section I will NOT post about the competitor just to please people, if you want to know what I think about the competitor link me to a thread in the appropriate section

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by TGO View Post
    Funny you should say yeah it was great but inferior ports, cuz every multiplatform game was inferior on PS2, and it was geometrically noticeable But in general I can't knock the PS3, what it was/is lacking is nothing to do with the console as its even more so on other consoles, I'd say developers have wasted our time and money this gen Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2
    Not true. Most multiplatform games were dumbed down on the Xbox to achieve console parity with the PS2. And since I had both consoles I saw that for myself and it was a frequent complaint from Xbox owners.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkNemesis View Post
    Though the PS3 is lacking a lot of what the PSX and PS2 had -that's the generation period and not just the PS3- I have enjoyed it the most out of all 3 consoles. i think that the best games on the PS3 are better than the best games on the first two. I think that the PS3 did not reach its potential outside of Sony's first party due to most third party devs going multiplat and the 360 dvd9 holding it back and Japan being disappointing.
    Yeah I think the same, Sony's first party has been better than ever, third party is what has let it and the entire generation down.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDug13
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    Yeah I think the same, Sony's first party has been better than ever, third party is what has let it and the entire generation down.
    3rd party could of started out better on PS3, but I think Sony's architecture deserve some blame on that one.

Ancient
    Not true. Most multiplatform games were dumbed down on the Xbox to achieve console parity with the PS2. And since I had both consoles I saw that for myself and it was a frequent complaint from Xbox owners.
    I only remember the likes of....well everygame being better on Xbox( closer to the PC version)
    Splinter Cell, Max Payne etc
    Only MGS2 substance was inferior, some games just wasn't released on PS2 either due to its limitations
    The part that PS2 succeeded in was exclusives, yeah Xbox had its exclusive but they was PC ports, PS2 had Japanese exclusive games which the games that mattered back then

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    3rd party could of started out better on PS3, but I think Sony's architecture deserve some blame on that one.
    Not really, I was talking more about Tekken 6, FF13, GTAIV, which all were let downs due to design decisions, nothing to do with the programming.
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    I only remember the likes of....well everygame being better on Xbox( closer to the PC version) Splinter Cell, Max Payne etc Only MGS2 substance was inferior, some games just wasn't released on PS2 either due to its limitations The part that PS2 succeeded in was exclusives, yeah Xbox had its exclusive but they was PC ports, PS2 had Japanese exclusive games which the games that mattered back then Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2
    And I remember alot of games (not all of course) being not much different than the PS2 version and people complaining about it and seeing it myself having owned both consoles. But that really doesnt matter so much because Sony claimed at the beginning of this gen that the PS3 was something like 3 times more powerful than the 360 and I've yet to see evidence of that. Both consoles have pretty equal graphics (multiplatform aside) from what I've seen hands on. As for PS2 at the time that it launched it was the most powerful and when Xbox and Gamecube launched we already knew those two consoles would be more powerful. But PS3 was hyped to be some uber powerful console that would decimate the 360. Well obviously that turned out to be a load of bs. And then on top of being no more powerful than the 360 the PS3 ends up with inferior multiplatform games 9 times out of 10. So yeah that disappointed me. On the plus side I've played some pretty awesome first party games on the PS3.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 07-27-2012 at 21:11.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    I agree. First party had some really good games. But 3rd party was my main disappointment in the PS3 more than anything else.

Ancient
    And I remember alot of games (not all of course) being not much different than the PS2 version and people complaining about it and seeing it myself having owned both consoles. But that really doesnt matter so much because Sony claimed at the beginning of this gen that the PS3 was something like 3 times more powerful than the 360 and I've yet to see evidence of that. Both consoles have pretty equal graphics (multiplatform aside) from what I've seen hands on. As for PS2 at the time that it launched it was the most powerful and when Xbox and Gamecube launched we already knew those two consoles would be more powerful. But PS3 was hyped to be some uber powerful console that would decimate the 360. Well obviously that turned out to be a load of bs. And then on top of being no more powerful than the 360 the PS3 ends up with inferior multiplatform games 9 times out of 10. So yeah that disappointed me. On the plus side I've played some pretty awesome first party games on the PS3.
    Kinda catch 22 there, you see the PS2 saw many ports that was inferior to the Dreamcast originals, textures & AA was inferior on PS2 and in some cases AA was completely missing from the PS2 versions, and this was down to the Vram the Dreamcast had, developers was used to the DC architecture
    Some even said PS2 couldn't do AA and was less powerful, dispite Sony's claims and thw inclusion of a DVD format thou in reality the PS2 was much more powerful system
    it wasn't until the Dreamcast died off and all games was built for PS2 that we saw the PS2's potential
    This gen is very much the same, developers are use to the 360's architecture and built games to suit that, the only difference is the 369 didn't die off and developers didn't have a focus of one console
    360 and PS3 is more like PS2 and Xbox
    Xbox was a powerful machine and you could see that in some of its games but that generation was built around a template, a PS2 template
    Just like PC's are far more capable of the games they produce they are tied to a template built round current gen consoles
    And this gen that template is 360
    if you think that your assassins creed and all other games would be the same as they are if PS3 was the only console on the market ya delusional
    Is the PS3 more powerful then 360? Yes blatantly so, same way the Xbox was more powerful then PS2
    Did we actually see how powerful the Xbox was? No
    Was it capable of more? Hell yeah
    And what about PS3, exactly the same
    I'm sure Sony will show off some impressive stuff that'll make it hard to believe its running on the system but from 3rd party devs I really doubt it, like I said its a catch 22 and you know why

And I know some don't like it or agree, but the problem with this gen leads all the way to the 360
    360 has changed a lot this gen but sadly none it had been for the good( except for in some peoples eyes)

Last edited by TGO; 07-27-2012 at 22:21.

15. Likes AaronSOLDIER likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Owning both consoles I dont see anything that shows me an Xbox/PS2 graphics gap between the PS3 and the 360 so I guess we'll have to just disagree on that. Also I think that the Xbox brand was a breath of fresh air and if it wasn't for that brand we would still be stuck playing a plethora of cookie cutter JRPGs. I know you want to relive the days of endless JRPGs. JRPGs are something you have said you enjoy and even your avatar and sig suggests I know. And judging by the the way the market has changed and is mostly embracing western developed games I think its safe to say the majority of gamers out there in the real world feel the same way. JRPGs are a dying breed while western style games sell by the boatloads. Sony has even realized that and has westernized the PS3 for the most part especially compared to the PS2. The gamers have spoken with their wallets and they have shown that they want the type of games that the Xbox brand brought to the console world and that now the PS brand has embraced as well. Like it or not thats how it is. People like you are in the vast minority in real life. Just look at the console market (with the exception of Japan). And while we are on that subject what actually made PS2 sell big were 3rd party exclusive western games like GTA. Thats why this gen MS went after all the big 3rd party exclusive IPs that Sony had last gen (which is what I loved about PS2). And now Japan just isnt the market giant that it was in the PS1 and PS2 days and I dont see that changing.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 07-27-2012 at 23:14.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    I only remember the likes of....well everygame being better on Xbox( closer to the PC version)
    Splinter Cell, Max Payne etc
    Only MGS2 substance was inferior, some games just wasn't released on PS2 either due to its limitations
    The part that PS2 succeeded in was exclusives, yeah Xbox had its exclusive but they was PC ports, PS2 had Japanese exclusive games which the games that mattered back then

I think the trick was, if it was developed on the PC, it excelled on the Xbox.

But the majority of games developed never to be on the PC, were generally pretty average.
    At best THQ, Acitivision etc might just might let them have a better texture here and there.
    But normal maps, higher poly count etc wasn't there.

Generally if it was developed for consoles, the Xbox got a dumbed down version, it was developed on PC, that was a different story....
    I am no longer participating in these forums, I wish all of you on the PSU Forums the best for the future.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksite View Post
    Not to amuse you guys but I actually voted, "No."

When you take a lot of the things Sony promised back in 2005/2006 into account, the PlayStation 3 really didn't live up to the hype. 1080p gaming at 60 frames per second, 7 controllers, being able to play on two HDTVs (which sounds ridiculous but you get the idea), CGI-quality graphics etc. The backwards compatibility feature was even removed from the newer models.

Don't get me wrong though. I love the home console. It has a great library of exclusive titles, pioneered Blu-ray (correct me if I'm wrong), and you're able to access the PlayStation Network free of charge. But it wasn't the best thing since sliced bread. I think its predecessors had a larger impact on the industry. It's difficult to say if the PlayStation 4 will fair any better.

Oh, and since you asked, I would rank them in the following order:

1. PlayStation 2
    2. PlayStation
    3. PlayStation 3
    I disagree with the part where you say that they promised those features. They shared a litte too much with what they wanted to do with the PS3. They shouldn't have.

Ancient
    Owning both consoles I dont see anything that shows me an Xbox/PS2 graphics gap between the PS3 and the 360 so I guess we'll have to just disagree on that. Also I think that the Xbox brand was a breath of fresh air and if it wasn't for that brand we would still be stuck playing a plethora of cookie cutter JRPGs. I know you want to relive the days of endless JRPGs. JRPGs are something you have said you enjoy and even your avatar and sig suggests I know. And judging by the the way the market has changed and is mostly embracing western developed games I think its safe to say the majority of gamers out there in the real world feel the same way. JRPGs are a dying breed while western style games sell by the boatloads. Sony has even realized that and has westernized the PS3 for the most part especially compared to the PS2. The gamers have spoken with their wallets and they have shown that they want the type of games that the Xbox brand brought to the console world and that now the PS brand has embraced as well. Like it or not thats how it is. People like you are in the vast minority in real life. Just look at the console market (with the exception of Japan). And while we are on that subject what actually made PS2 sell big were 3rd party exclusive western games like GTA. Thats why this gen MS went after all the big 3rd party exclusive IPs that Sony had last gen (which is what I loved about PS2). And now Japan just isnt the market giant that it was in the PS1 and PS2 days and I dont see that changing.
    I actually only like traditional FF's actually, hate FFTactics and the like, never was a fan of Darkcloud either
    Adventure/action games are my thing, and I got a thing for horrors
    I like the classics, Metal Gear, Resident Evil, Silent Hill, DMC and obviously Tomb Raider
    Yeah just from that theres 1 western game so it does seem I like Japanese games, but thats because they produce better games, but not many this gen Japanese developers are just not making games, and a lot of good Japanese franchise are/have been ruined by westernisation and its not Japanese devs making a Westernised games, its western devs making great Japanese franchises Westernised and they are $#@!, theoretically the games are fine by western standards I don't understand why they get reviewed so low other then they are comparing them to the Japanese developed originals which yeah they do lack charm and look generic( and no I don't expect characters to all be long haired girly boys before say that)
    Don't get me wrong there is a load of western devs that are good, very good but they too seem to be missing in action this gen too with only a few releases
    But this gen has been the rise of the mediocre devs, but that's just my opinion
    And when you say people like me, do you mean people who knew what E3 & TGS was before Microsoft attended?
    The guys who use to play neogeo, spend hours in the arcades, played games in Japanese cuz they was imports?
    Yeah I'm a gamer, a console gamer if it makes you feel better
    And people like me got a longer history in this department thenthe guys playing marrow wind
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    I think the trick was, if it was developed on the PC, it excelled on the Xbox.

But the majority of games developed never to be on the PC, were generally pretty average.
    At best THQ, Acitivision etc might just might let them have a better texture here and there.
    But normal maps, higher poly count etc wasn't there.

Generally if it was developed for consoles, the Xbox got a dumbed down version, it was developed on PC, that was a different story....
    I generally agree with ya, its pretty much in line with what I said....kinda
    Except for most of the highly acclaimed games from last gen regardless of format never even graced the PC they was console games
    And the PC got a shoddy port at best, thou the same could not be said about PC games
    Some of the great titles that originated from PC remained on PC thou they never did hold a candle to the console heavy hitters, most titles ported to consoles were poor with the exception of Splinter Cell & Max Payne.

Last edited by TGO; 07-28-2012 at 07:00.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    I came to vote no but I found the poll too guided for my opinion.

But I would vote no if I could. No, because I will not miss the PS3, or the 360 for that matter, as soon as the next gen is here. The same way I did not miss the PS2 when the PS3 came.
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Power Member
    Items User name style
    I generally agree with ya, its pretty much in line with what I said....kinda
    Except for most of the highly acclaimed games from last gen regardless of format never even graced the PC they was console games
    Excluding Japanese games, which could never have made the jump to PC, because the Japanese would have never bother to put the effort and they all would have ended up loking like PS2 games, what other "highly acclaimed games games form last gen didnt make it to PC.
    Bear in mind I assume we are talking about muliplats.

And people like me got a longer history in this department then the guys playing marrow wind
    And before japanese games, there were 8-bit computers, programmed by kids. Those kids grew up to run companies like Codemasters, Rare, and Blitz Games.
    I played Laser Squad, years before X-com
    I played games like Cybernoid, Turrican, Sabre Wulf, Jet Set willy, you clearly came from a Japanese console orientation, I came from a computer/arcade background, I can tell you right now there is no way in hell I would trade a game like Elite, or Mercenary for all the 8-bit Japanese games in the world...
    Last edited by mynd; 07-28-2012 at 13:09.
    I am no longer participating in these forums, I wish all of you on the PSU Forums the best for the future.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Actually, the Spectrum was our first console, and yes I also played Jet Set Willy, Skool Daze etc. we also had an amiga with HUNDREDS of floppy disks, and would still choose the NES/SNES/PS1 JRPG era.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    @TGO- If it makes me feel better? lol Dont get so defensive. Consider yourself whatever you want I dont care. And I've been gaming for just as long as you have so spare me the ancient gamer who was there from the beginning act. I just get the impression that you miss the old days when there was tons of JRPGs and you resent MS for westernizing a formerly Japanese console world. At least thats what I get from alot of your posts. Anyway you prefer Japanese developed games and I prefer western developed games. No big deal. It just so happens that the console market this gen shares my preference (except Japan) western developed games and not yours Japanese developed games and you dont like it.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 07-28-2012 at 19:56.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Actually, the Spectrum was our first console, and yes I also played Jet Set Willy, Skool Daze etc. we also had an amiga with HUNDREDS of floppy disks, and would still choose the NES/SNES/PS1 JRPG era.
    My point games is like Morrowind etc, have their roots elsewhere, open world quest games have been around for a very long time.
    I mean Christ look at The Bards Tale, etc. PC might be the platform these days, but western devs have always been bloody good game makers.
    Its by no means the domain of the Japanese.
    And the Japanese, always were limited to their hardware, I really don't think a game like Elite could ever have been created in Japan.

Neo-geo for example, those games always left me feeling like I just played the same game, they either had a vertical of horizontal shoot em up, or they had a Double Dragon/Final Fight clone on the dam thing.
    It had the ability to do big sprites in hardware, so that what the Japanese developers used.
    Arcades didn't die because of the home console, they died because they got stale.
    We are going through somewhat of a similar thing now, with FPS's, as far as I'm concerned, I pick one up these days and it looks and feels like the same dam game. Music games fell in to the same trap.

The demise of Japanese games, isn't due to the fact that they have tried to westernize these games.
    Lost Odyssey was a very true to its roots JRPG, and it just didn't appeal to that many people.

I'm playing DMC HD at the moment , and you know what, it meh.
    Its merley ok. If I compare it to games I wa splaying in 2001 on PC?

I was playing Unreal Tournament, I was playing, I had played Half Life, Diablo II, The Sims, Thief II, Age of Empires II , all infinatley better and deeper games than Devil May Cry.

I do wonder if people consider these PS1/2 games classic because they didn't have access different game. Yes, there was always games like Tomb Raider, but they were also PC games back in the day.

The Japanese, up until this generation, had a large market share, they developed Japanese games for Japanese hardware, and competed with a handful of companies making console games from outside of Japan.

With the Xbox, PC developers went, hey now we could make our games on this thing with minimal effort. The only reason the demise of Japanese games didn't happen earlier was because the Xbox wasn't as popular last gen.
    Look at who has come aboard since the PS1 days.

Epic, Bioware, Bethesda, ID, Crytek, etc.
    You compare what these boys have done (Knights of the old republic, Gears of War, Crysis, Fallout, Elder Scrolls) in the conosle space compared to where it used to be.

JRPGs were popular because they were the deepest games on consoles.

Thats long since been surpassed.
    Last edited by mynd; 07-28-2012 at 22:54.

For me the PS3 in 100 times better then the PS1 and PS2. I loved it so much and I will most deffinitly miss my PS3 when I get the PS4. But I will proably buy another TV and connect the PS3 up to the new TV so they can be both set up and can play either when ever i feel like it.

Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    I still liked the PS2 and PS1 better, in terms of graphics, gameplay. but the fact that quite a few things were done right. However, with the PS2 even though it got a bunch of sales it was a tiny bit more difficult for devs to develope for, it wasn't as indie developer friendly compared to the PS1.

The PS3 completely lost out on Indie developers and that is really a shame because the huge success of the Playstation brand does in fact start with the PS1 and it's success with indie developers. the PS3 lost it all, Sony talked and talked and talked and talked about how big the PS3 was but the MAIN thing it lost was the independent developer support that was so big with the PS1 and PS2.
    Last edited by Bigdoggy; 07-30-2012 at 14:45.

Thread Information