PSU U.K. Executive Editor and Podcast Host
    Items User name styleLed ZeppelinAssassins Creed Ezio3DSDreamcastNintendo 64Vita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

6 PS3 sequels that blow their predecessors out of the water

http://www.psu.com/a016150/6-PS3-seq...t-of-the-water

Hey guys,

So, we've been cooking up a few new features here at PSU.com, the latest of which lists 6 sequels on PS3 that we feel blow their predecessors out of the water. We're talking success stories here, such as Uncharted 2 and Assassin's Creed II, titles that really elevated the franchise to the next level or refined things that much better.

Here's a little teaser, but click the link above to view the full article.

- - - - -

Sequels are a tricky business. Like a musicianís second album, it has to build upon the foundations set by the original, while simultaneously introducing a number of fresh elements and attempting to better its predecessor in every conceivable manner. Invariably things donít always pan out, though when it does, weíve been privy to some of the best slices of gaming on the market. PlayStation 3 has seen its fair share of disappointing sequels (Resistance 2, Resident Evil 5 spring to mind), but mostly, the platformís CV has a glowing record when it comes to follow-ups.

With PS3 approaching its six-year milestone on the market, PSU.com decided to scrutinize some of the consoleís biggest and best sequels to date. Did your favourite make the cut? Read on to find out.

- - - - - - -

UNCHARTED 2: AMONG THIEVES

Nathan Drakeís globetrotting spectacle isnít just one of the finest PS3 sequels to date, but one of the best games this generation, period. The original Uncharted was top-notch make no mistake, but Among Thieves tops it in virtually every avenue. Developer Naughty Dog really went to town with this sequel, offering a compelling adventure packed with sumptuous visuals, jaw-dropping set-pieces and frantic gunplay. Remember how Terminator 2: Judgement Day took the series from surprise hit to Hollywood blockbuster? Well, thatís pretty much how Among Thieves propelled the Uncharted series back in 2009. PS3ís graphical muscle was pushed more than it had ever been up until that point, allowing for dynamic lightning, intricate textures and stunning facial animations. Gameplay was far more diverse too, implementing more emphasis on stealth and CQC, while the script was far more adventurous, taking Drake from the jungles of Borneo to the freezing mountains of Tibet. Oh, and final ingredient: multiplayer was introduced for the first time, offering a robust online component ripe with perks and addictive combat. Until the sequel arrived, Among Thieves was undeniably the PS3ís quintessential action-adventure Ė though for some people, it still hasnít been topped.
    http://www.psu.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=263583&dateline=13663  69798

2. Likes Fijiandoce, Kuro , DeviousOne , F34R likes this post
    Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    This has to be my favorite PS3 game thus far. It's amazing on so many levels.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    I like this feature good stuff!

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    UC2 was awesome! Damn man why'd i sell it?

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    the_mooninites
    Items ICO
    Good list. Like someone said in the comments, i think Infamous 2 blew away the first one.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    nice! PSU do the best features.....most of the time
    they also contain the best writing on the interwebs imo.
    Last edited by Fijiandoce; 07-18-2012 at 02:32.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Master Guru
    Items Legend of ZeldaInsomniac GamesKonamiNaughty DogNintendoMetal Gear SolidFinal Fantasy XI OnlineDark Souls CoverPlayStationDoomDemons Souls Cover
    i too like the list and totally agree with Infamous 2. but the elder scrolls games are kind of a no-brainer. i'd even put God of war III, and Batman: Arkham City on there too

Let's be honest: You sleep with anything that walks on two legs. Sometimes, you're not even that discriminating

Dedicated Member
    Items Full Metal AlchemistThe X-FilesFinal Fantasy VII
    disagree with Killzone 3. Killzone 2 was way better thanks to the bullet physics and story. While neither had a good story at least KZ2 had an awesome boss fight (Radec), KZ3's ending was just horrible and kinda made playing through the game pointless.

10. Likes Suley likes this post
    Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    All great games that did go above and beyond their predecessors. Good picks

Dedicated Member

Definitely some good picks there, and I totally agree that Arkham City could easily have been one of them.

Master Guru
    Uncharted 2 was amazing and better than the first Uncharted but Drake's Fortune will have a place in my heart forever. It was my first PS3 game and i didn't even have an HDTV at the time. The game was beautiful. I thought it turned my standard TV into an HDTV. Seriously, it was that good.

Resistance 3 was definitely better than Resistance 2 but for all the hate R2 gets i still enjoyed it. Then again i haven't met a PS3 game that i haven't enjoyed. What an awesome platform.

I agree that Infamous 2 was a step up over the first Infamous game as well. Still, the original was great no doubt.

Super Elite
    Items Atari
    I'm surprised that Skyrim was included, with the game making headlines for how broken it was on PS3. I assume that the story is covering PS3 games, due to the fact that 4 of the 6 titles are PS3 games, so does it make sense to include a PS3 game, which, for a significant amount of time, didn't work properly?
    During E3 I check out the booth babes, and if that's wrong...then maybe I'm missing the point of E3

Master Guru
    Items Legend of ZeldaInsomniac GamesKonamiNaughty DogNintendoMetal Gear SolidFinal Fantasy XI OnlineDark Souls CoverPlayStationDoomDemons Souls Cover
    it never seemed to $#@! up for me like apparently did for everyone else

Let's be honest: You sleep with anything that walks on two legs. Sometimes, you're not even that discriminating

Thread Information