Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Do you expect PSN and XBL to be comparable next gen?

Historically speaking, PSN played catch up from day one with XBL, in terms of functionality, Sony originally had absolutly no infrastructure in place.
    Truth be told they still dont today, it entirley up devs how they create their online experience. Thats has some positives, it all has some drawbacks.

In terms of the O/S infrasturcture, PSN is of course miles better than it once was.

With the next gen, people are assuming features will be in place form the get go, such as the ability for cross game chat etc.
    In other words, the O/S will take over a large chunk of functionality.

The quesiton for now is...

If Sony launch PSN, with comparable features to XBL as it stand on the console only. Will you be happy enough?

Given where MS is going with Smartglass/ apps conectivity, are you going to be happy with just Cross game chat , some Vita interaciton and a website?

Would you like to see Sony take over more control over indiividual game servers so they can implement more remote funtionality?

Or would you just be happy with cross game chat?

What we are talking about is the differnece between, say a game voluntary allowing control from say a vita, because the devs opted to put it in, or the O/S allowing it on every game, becuase it a fundamental building block of the system.
    Last edited by mynd; 07-19-2012 at 23:08.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    bolderdash
    they are pretty comparable now. I think next gen will be the same more or less. Whoever launches first might have a slight edge in the beginning but overall it will be the same.

Somebody get me a doctor, I ain't feelin' ill ...But I ain't feelin' this at all...

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by btbam View Post
    they are pretty comparable now. I think next gen will be the same more or less. Whoever launches first might have a slight edge in the beginning but overall it will be the same.
    Right now, XBL is going through a very quite revoution, and it is one that is going to make it a more connected network, way beyond your joypad and console.
    While it may not seem very significant right now, the ability to flex its muscle becuase it completly owns the platform DNA of XBL is a far cry form the voluntary business you have on the PS3.

Being open, very much limits what Sony can do and integrate into third party offerings. They could take "options" and make them "features" in the future, if they integrate more of its abilities into the O/S.
    Last edited by mynd; 07-19-2012 at 23:30.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    closer than this gen for sure

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by btbam View Post
    No they aren't. Even if Sony launches first, they still won't have a slight edge unless they build out their infrastructure world wide. Not going to happen.

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    One will always have the upper hand in some sort of way so I'd say somewhat comparable.

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    They sort of are now.

I don't see any real disadvantages, and quite frankly - the differences reek of buyer's justification and placebo effect. Apart from the famed Cross game chat of course.

In regards to MS Surface, I think it can easily be countered with a Sony Android Tablet running PS Portable Certification. TBH, both will likely have their pros/cons (but what products don't, right? ).

Almost kind of redundant to ask.

Really, for anyone to wish that they aren't going to be comparable, is negatively hopeful and fanboyish.

The way I see it, and based on your responses so far; you're only really asking in order to say that Sony won't be comparable (i.e. be sub-par). Which I find odd.

Oh well, c'est la vie I suppose, no biggie. I'm sure you'll find some way to twist it (I'm betting on it!) anyway.
    Last edited by Admartian; 07-20-2012 at 03:40.

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    They sort of are now.

I don't see any real disadvantages, and quite frankly - the differences reek of buyer's justification and placebo effect. Apart from the famed Cross game chat of course.

In regards to MS Surface, I think it can easily be countered with a Sony Android Tablet running PS Portable Certification. TBH, both will likely have their pros/cons (but what products don't, right? ).

Almost kind of redundant to ask.

Really, for anyone to wish that they aren't going to be comparable, is negatively hopeful and fanboyish.

The way I see it, and based on your responses so far; you're only really asking in order to say that Sony won't be comparable (i.e. be sub-par). Which I find odd.

Oh well, c'est la vie I suppose, no biggie. I'm sure you'll find some way to twist it (I'm betting on it!) anyway.
    I dont think you quite get differences, which is understandable because the front end side of things doesnt really look and feel that different.

It is perhaps best left at that. If you dont understand the differences, then you cant really weigh in on the discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    Next gen Sony will have its unified SEN in place (music, movies, games on one account on PS3, PS4, PSP, PSV, smartphones, tablets and TV) and then of course there is Gaikai which is clearly going to play a major role in Sony's next gen infrastructure. Vita already has the community aspect that PS3 lacks including XGC. I can't really see how that side of things can be improved, other than having the ability to video chat with friends while gaming lol. So yeah, they will be more or less comparable next gen.
    So you think they will go for a more unified apporach? WIth the O/S doing most of the work? Do you think they will close the network for the PS4?
    This would allow for them to charge, which they may or may not do.
    But it also would allow much more control.
    Last edited by mynd; 07-20-2012 at 07:25.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    So you think they will go for a more unified apporach? Do you think they will close the network for the PS4?
    This would allow for them to charge, which they may or may not do.
    But it also would allow much more control.
    I dont think, I know! Sony have been working up to this for years. They will keep it open too, I don't think they want the rigid restrictions that MSs closed system imposes. There was an article recently that said that Sony was actually making PSN more open to accommodate Dust 514 and other such ventures n the future. I also don't think they will charge, MS is the onyl gaming platform to do that, they are the exception, not the norm. PSN/SEN will remain free but they will probably have a sub service that offers badass bells and whistles.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    I dont think, I know! Sony have been working up to this for years. They will keep it open too, I don't think they want the rigid restrictions that MSs closed system imposes. There was an article recently that said that Sony was actually making PSN more open to accommodate Dust 514 and other such ventures n the future. I also don't think they will charge, MS is the onyl gaming platform to do that, they are the exception, not the norm. PSN/SEN will remain free but they will probably have a sub service that offers badass bells and whistles.
    What about a more integrated O/S support.
    Building that into the next O/S would mean things like remote play would just happen.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    What about a more integrated O/S support.
    Building that into the next O/S would mean things like remote play would just happen.
    Yeah I think this is an option, although remote play is already possible, I think this approach would definitely help. MS are in an interesting position in this regard (integrated O/S i mean), especially if the rumored W8 integration happens, which is highly likely. But yeah, I think we will see a lot more parity in basic features next gen, but both Sony and MS will be doing their own thing which will offer a different kind of differentiation next gen. Both companies have some mighty nice cards up their sleeves so it will be interesting to see what pans out.
    Last edited by Ghost; 07-20-2012 at 10:40.

Forum Elder
    I also don't think they will charge, MS is the onyl gaming platform to do that, they are the exception, not the norm.
    i'm sure Nintendo would charge if they had something worth paying for, with Sony they were late to the party and perhaps never gave a thought to charging until it was to late and then tried to use the free online against MS in keeping it free as a marketing selling point. it will by now have cost them 10's (if not 100's) of millions by not charging and i'd imagine they are trying to fit a charge into PS4 so that it becomes a must for on-line rather than an add on like PS+, they are in business after all to make money..

of course, there will be many in the PS3 user base who will not want to pay next gen, but i'm sure Sony will be adding up what they might lose from some over what they will gain.

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne;5867524I
    also don't think they will charge, MS is the onyl gaming platform to do that, they are the exception, not the norm. PSN/SEN will remain free but they will probably have a sub service that offers badass bells and whistles.
    Actually, Microsoft wouldn't be the exception. They were the first to bring a full fledged high speed online gaming service to consoles, called Xbox Live. It's a service with many features and continuous updates that exceeds (feature wise and infrastructure) any other console network. The exception would be PSN and Nintendo. I imagine if PSN and Nintendo networks had the labor force, the features, infrastructure and a system that pays for developers hosting fees like Microsoft has, they would charge too.

So for PSN, being free, it's great! And for XBL being $38 a year, it's great! (IMO). You get what you pay for. PSN+, FOR ME, is not great, BUT for others, it's awesome.
    Last edited by Soldier 95B; 07-20-2012 at 20:27.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Next gen Sony will have its unified SEN in place (music, movies, games on one account on PS3, PS4, PSP, PSV, smartphones, tablets and TV) and then of course there is Gaikai which is clearly going to play a major role in Sony's next gen infrastructure. Vita already has the community aspect that PS3 lacks including XGC. I can't really see how that side of things can be improved, other than having the ability to video chat with friends while gaming lol. So yeah, they will be more or less comparable next gen.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    There is nothing that makes PSN significantly crippled compared to XBL. Majority of psn gamers don't even use mics to benefit from cross game chat. PS plus has started kicking ass with its new free game offerings. Gaikai's acquisition by Sony is sure to bring great things like backwards compatibility and ps3 games on the go (cloud streaming to sony devices).

The ONLY thing XBL has on PSN right now is the number of apps

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    History tells us that sony will most likely be playing catch up again in this area. I see no reason why Microsoft won't have the edge again.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    History tells us that sony will most likely be playing catch up again in this area. I see no reason why Microsoft won't have the edge again.
    Sony has already caught up on Vita...And it's for free. I know some people here desperately want Sony to have a less than comparable service but it is already quite clear that they have more than enough up their sleeve and have learned enough lessons not to fall behind next gen.

Forum Sage
    Sony has already caught up on Vita...And it's for free. I know some people here desperately want Sony to have a less than comparable service but it is already quite clear that they have more than enough up their sleeve and have learned enough lessons not to fall behind next gen.
    That's exactly what I said, "catch up". If MS beats them out of the gate again, its a strong possibility that its infrastructure will remain superior. Xbox live is partly responsible for its strong marketshare. I don't see Microsoft giving up that advantage anytime soon.
    Last edited by Sub-stance1; 07-20-2012 at 14:50.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    That's exactly what I said, "catch up". If MS beats them out of the gate again, its a strong possibility that its infrastructure will remain superior. Xbox live is partly responsible for its strong marketshare. I don't see Microsoft giving up that advantage anytime soon.
    By what logic do you deduct that releasing first equates to having a superior infrastructure? What is it that makes up a strong online experience? XCG/messaging/communication, ease of matchmaking and joining friends in game, leaderboards etc. I can't think of anything else that will improve the multiplayer aspect of next gen gaming beyond that. MS has this with the 360, Sony has it with Vita. Sony dropped the ball with the PS3 but that mistake has been dealt with moving forward. What will really differentiate the online experience next gen is not the MP features, but the additional features offered in terms of entertainment, and how you are able to connect with and interact with your PSN/SEN and XBL accounts etc. In this regard both companies have their own thing going on. If Sony offer up all the features that MS has now, but for free as they have with Vita, then MS is going to have to step up their game with their online experience...But again, I can't think of anything outside of what we have already that can be built upon.

Well time will tell, but I don't think looking to the past is the best indication of the future, I think the present paints a much clearer picture.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    By what logic do you deduct that releasing first equates to having a superior infrastructure? What is it that makes up a strong online experience? XCG/messaging/communication, ease of matchmaking and joining friends in game, leaderboards etc. I can't think of anything else that will improve the multiplayer aspect of next gen gaming beyond that. MS has this with the 360, Sony has it with Vita. Sony dropped the ball with the PS3 but that mistake has been dealt with moving forward. What will really differentiate the online experience next gen is not the MP features, but the additional features offered in terms of entertainment, and how you are able to connect with and interact with your PSN/SEN and XBL accounts etc. In this regard both companies have their own thing going on. If Sony offer up all the features that MS has now, but for free as they have with Vita, then MS is going to have to step up their game with their online experience...But again, I can't think of anything outside of what we have already that can be built upon.

Well time will tell, but I don't think looking to the past is the best indication of the future, I think the present paints a much clearer picture.
    The reason PSN continues to be free is that Sony hasn't put together all of the pieces like MS has and built the behind the scenes infrastructure to make it all work.

It is a HUGE investment, and one Sony will have to find funding for, i.e. pay to play if they are to go toe to toe with XBL for features and connectivity. It isn't just about XGC or another solitary feature. Your Gamertag is like an online presence. It permeates everything MS if you want. Sony simply does not have that.

All my opinion of course, but I still believe if Sony majorly overhauls PSN to step up to XBL, we will see a subscription model for online play.

But yes, I DO expect them to be closer to equal, but I DO expect to be charged on Sony's side for it.
    Last edited by Cuguy; 07-20-2012 at 15:22.
    LMAO

Forum Sage

There is really no need for me to go into detail since someone has already mentioned certain things in their response to your post. I will say this though, xbox live isn't only about multi-player gaming. Things like having a more polished dash board, better community support, and better overall presentation is really what sets it apart from PSN. Now, throw in all the next gen possibilities with windows 8, surface technology, skype, and Kinect2, it should make the experience even better. Not saying that sony won't have improvements but I really don't see them beating Microsoft at their own game.

Soldier 95B
    In addition to Cuguy, the integration of Windows Live Messenger to all devices to chat is a huge XBL feature unavailable on PSN. The Windows Live Messenger also lets you use it for Video chat with any device running windows live messenger, and is integrated with Kinect for video conferencing over XBL (something we can't do with PSN). XBL adds try-skill universal ranking so every game is using the same standard for ranked matches. Because it is universal, every game gets access to this, where as some games on PSN do not have ranked matchmaking, while the 360 version does. XBL supports the ability to remain online while watching movies on DVD as well. Full online status and full background downloading and updating while watching them. Something we can't do on PSN.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Simple fact.

Is isn't PSN, so Ghost won't like it,.. no matter what we say.

So, I'm outtie.
    LMAO

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuguy View Post
    Simple fact.

Is isn't PSN, so Ghost won't like it,.. no matter what we say.

So, I'm outtie.
    The same could be said of Xbox Live and it's fans - no matter what other people say - those who only wish for Sony to be behind, won't like it.

Me, I couldn't really give a $#@! who is perceived to be "on top". So long as fanboys don't $#@! on a service just because it's not their preferred one.

If you like a certain service over another fair enough, just don't go try saying it's the best when the competition is more than sufficient.

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    The same could be said of Xbox Live and it's fans - no matter what other people say - those who only wish for Sony to be behind, won't like it.

Me, I couldn't really give a $#@! who is perceived to be "on top". So long as fanboys don't $#@! on a service just because it's not their preferred one.

If you like a certain service over another fair enough, just don't go try saying it's the best when the competition is more than sufficient.
    i don't say it's the best. i say it's the best for me, so try to not be so defensive
    LMAO

Thread Information