Latest PSU headlines:

View Poll Results: The BEST FF so far is . . .

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Final Fantasy I

0 0%
  • Final Fantasy II

0 0%
  • Final Fantasy III

0 0%
  • Final Fantasy IV

2 10.00%
  • Final Fantasy V

0 0%
  • Final Fantasy VI

2 10.00%
  • Final Fantasy VII

10 50.00%
  • Final Fantasy VIII

3 15.00%
  • Final Fantasy IX

1 5.00%
  • Final Fantasy X

1 5.00%
  • Final Fantasy XI

0 0%
  • Final Fantasy XII

0 0%
  • Final Fantasy XIII

0 0%
  • Final Fantasy XIV

1 5.00%
Page 83 of 159 FirstFirst ... 738393 ... LastLast
Results 2,051 to 2,075 of 3967
    Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Sir_Scud
    Items Final Fantasy IVDark SoulsGuerrilla Games
    Oh, I see. Then I doubt they'd pull a move like that then.

PSN ID
    voicebox88
    Im hoping for some sort of International + version, which would have normal, expert and extreme sphere grids and additional secret temples/aeons...but thinking it may just be a pipe dream

PS Unchained
    Items Protect yourselfNew User TitleTitle Style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by voicebox View Post
    Im hoping for some sort of International + version, which would have normal, expert and extreme sphere grids and additional secret temples/aeons...but thinking it may just be a pipe dream
    Anything more powerful then penance would be overkill

Thank you itachi

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    robvandam111
    Items User name style

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Sir_Scud
    Been playing more FFX, I like to think I've really been enjoying it. I've liked the whole Tidus narrating over the events bit, but my only gripe with the game thus far is how linear it's been. There are lots of long tunnels to walk down and since I played XII first, it's kinda disappointing. I'm digging the whole pilgrimage thing, but it feels like too much of a grind in parts.

Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Scud View Post
    Been playing more FFX, I like to think I've really been enjoying it. I've liked the whole Tidus narrating over the events bit, but my only gripe with the game thus far is how linear it's been. There are lots of long tunnels to walk down and since I played XII first, it's kinda disappointing. I'm digging the whole pilgrimage thing, but it feels like too much of a grind in parts.
    FF10 is very linear. More than FF 13. 10 has little to no side quest. Despite all this people love it yet hate ff13. It really boggles my mind.
    Facebook-https://www.facebook.com/gameryuichi I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Sir_Scud
    That actually came to my mind too, Yuuichi. The complaint of XIII being linear seems moot as I play X, but I think the big key difference to me at least is story. X actually explains the story well. With XIII, they throw a bunch of **** at you and don't explain much of it. If you want to know more you gotta read the index. Probably why I quit playing XIII after a few hours back when it released.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuuichi View Post
    FF10 is very linear. More than FF 13. 10 has little to no side quest. Despite all this people love it yet hate ff13. It really boggles my mind.
    There's a huge difference that you're forgetting...

FFX has towns, mini-games, puzzles, optional cut-scenes, etc, along the way. Final Fantasy X may be just as linear, but it has MUCH more variety along the way.

FFXIII is all battles. Nothing else. Even when the game opens up, what is there to explore and find? Yep, more battles.

Ultimate Veteran
    Items DreamcastPlayStationNintendoBullyGTA ClaudeFinal Fantasy IX
    Apart from the hammy cutscene with Tidus and Yuna laughing, Final Fantasy X was pretty good. The linearity doesn't really matter.
    Last edited by Black; 01-27-2013 at 01:04.

3DS Friend Code: 1349-4916-2054

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksite View Post
    The linearity doesn't really matter.
    That's the difference between FFX and FFXIII.

The linearity is much more painful in FFXIII because you're only doing one thing the entire game.

FFXIII plays like this:

---Battlefield-----Battlefield-----Battlefield-----Battlefield-----Town-----Battlefield-----Battlefield-----Battlefield-----Battlefield-----Battlefield-----Battlefield-----Battlefield-----Battlefield-----Battlefield-----Battlefield-----Battlefield-----Battlefield-----Battlefield

FFX plays like this:

---Battlefield-----Town-----Mini-Game-----Battlefield-----Temple-----Battlefield-----Mini-Game-----Town-----Battlefield-----Temple-----Battlefield-----Town-----Battlefield-----Mini-Game-----Battlefield-----Town-----Temple-----Battlefield

Suicide Season
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    I stopped playing FF XIII a few days after it was released, I remember getting stuck at a main boss and I gave up, it did get tiring just battling all the time and I didn't really know what was going on. I did really like the characters though, Fang was probably my favourite out of them all.

I'm looking forward to the HD remake of FF10 though, used to enjoy playing Blitzball quite a lot.

"Guns for Show, Knives for Pro"

Ultimate Veteran
    Items DreamcastPlayStationNintendoBullyGTA ClaudeFinal Fantasy IX
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post

The linearity is much more painful in FFXIII because you're only doing one thing the entire game.

FFXIII plays like this:

---Battlefield-----Battlefield-----Battlefield-----Battlefield-----Town-----Battlefield-----Battlefield-----Battlefield-----Battlefield-----Battlefield-----Battlefield-----Battlefield-----Battlefield-----Battlefield-----Battlefield-----Battlefield-----Battlefield-----Battlefield

FFX plays like this:

---Battlefield-----Town-----Mini-Game-----Battlefield-----Temple-----Battlefield-----Mini-Game-----Town-----Battlefield-----Temple-----Battlefield-----Town-----Battlefield-----Mini-Game-----Battlefield-----Town-----Temple-----Battlefield
    I meant, in general, linear games can be just as fun as open-ended ones. Not to be confused with repetitive or diverse gameplay.
    Last edited by Black; 01-27-2013 at 04:50.

3DS Friend Code: 1349-4916-2054

PS Unchained
    Items Protect yourselfNew User TitleTitle Style

FFXIII plays like this:

FFX plays like this:

Holy hell there was a town? I must of blinked and missed it

Thank you itachi

14. Likes daLa likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Quote Originally Posted by Chille View Post
    Holy hell there was a town? I must of blinked and missed it
    Nautilus was basically a town, but without anything to interact with.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    robvandam111
    Items User name style
    There's a huge difference that you're forgetting...

FFX has towns, mini-games, puzzles, optional cut-scenes, etc, along the way. Final Fantasy X may be just as linear, but it has MUCH more variety along the way.

FFXIII is all battles. Nothing else. Even when the game opens up, what is there to explore and find? Yep, more battles.

It's not like it was suppose to have towns. People keep on complaining about the game being linear. The characters were fugitives in the story, you can't expect them to be part of the civilizations. The only problem with FFXIII is the restriction when it came to developing your characters. The game isn't diverse but with the new titles coming it shows what Square is trying to experiment. FFXIII is still enjoyable game, the public just needs to find the right type of patience that it takes to appreciate what's given. It may have its flaw but nothing is perfect.

Veteran
    I'm trying to finally finish FF XIII, and regardless of how linear it is I do enjoy it. I guess it's mostly because I just love FF games.

Items Deadmau5
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    I stopped playing FF XIII a few days after it was released, I remember getting stuck at a main boss and I gave up, it did get tiring just battling all the time and I didn't really know what was going on. I did really like the characters though, Fang was probably my favourite out of them all.
    A shame! Fang is a lovely character and really defines the ending scenes.

FFXIII has pacing issues early on but people really need to cool it on the false comparisons. A game designed to not have towns is not "lacking" towns, it's simply designed differently. They have no place in XIII, it would throw entire game off balance.
    Last edited by upmagic; 01-28-2013 at 02:42.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    I never said towns are necessary. I'm saying variety is necessary (unless the battles can carry the entire game, which they can't).

A fugitive story could have included other gameplay elements besides just battles. Puzzles, platforming, mini-games, action sequences, etc.

Items Deadmau5
    I don't think that's an inherent problem, I appreciated the design's simplicity. Easy to understand how that rubs some people the wrong way, though.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Quote Originally Posted by upmagic View Post
    I don't think that's an inherent problem, I appreciated the design's simplicity. Easy to understand how that rubs some people the wrong way, though.
    Yeah, I feel it was way too simple. Battle, walk five steps, battle, walk five steps, battle, and so on. That's the whole game.

And the battles themselves don't require any strategy except for the bosses. Perhaps if the battle system was as complex as Final Fantasy Tactics, then I could see it.

Elite Member
    Yeah, I feel it was way too simple. Battle, walk five steps, battle, walk five steps, battle, and so on. That's the whole game.

And the battles themselves don't require any strategy except for the bosses. Perhaps if the battle system was as complex as Final Fantasy Tactics, then I could see it.
    I'm a fan of FFXIII, but I have to agree with you on that a bit. After a while strategy wasn't important. Not to mention, even with the boss battles you still just used the same strategy over and over again. Sentinels for boss' uber attack, followed by medics to heal, followed by stat buffs/degredation, then ravagers, then beat down with commando's. Rinse and repeat. And they could have easily added towns in the sense of rebel bases. I find it very hard to believe there wasn't some underground movement that could have had a few bases here and there.

That said, I am a big fan of XIII and enjoyed it highly. The lack of towns and what not did indeed make sense. Being able to visit a town, peacefully, would have made no sense what-so-ever. So SE did the right thing there. But they could have found a few ways around that problem. One of my biggest problems with the game though was those darn save/shop orbs. Convenient, sure, but really? They could have given us some lovable traveling merchant at least, like Oaka from FFX.
    -FatesServant
    Fate: the universal principle or ultimate agency by which the order of things is presumably prescribed; the decreed cause of events.

PSN ID
    sektoderselters9
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuuichi View Post
    If you only played the US version then you're also missing all the additional content of the japanese international version / EU version with more sidequests.

PSN ID
    sektoderselters9
    Quote Originally Posted by FatesServant View Post
    That said, I am a big fan of XIII and enjoyed it highly. The lack of towns and what not did indeed make sense. Being able to visit a town, peacefully, would have made no sense what-so-ever. So SE did the right thing there. But they could have found a few ways around that problem. One of my biggest problems with the game though was those darn save/shop orbs. Convenient, sure, but really? They could have given us some lovable traveling merchant at least, like Oaka from FFX.
    -FatesServant
    People also keep complaining that the games really only opens up after 20 hours and gets more open world.
    But FF games traditionally only open up after you get an airship. Look at Final Fantasy VIII. Even after you leave Midgar for the first time and you have access to the world map (oh I miss world maps so much ) you still can only move around so much (which is still more than everything after IX I guess).

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter von Frosta View Post
    People also keep complaining that the games really only opens up after 20 hours and gets more open world.
    But FF games traditionally only open up after you get an airship. Look at Final Fantasy VIII. Even after you leave Midgar for the first time and you have access to the world map (oh I miss world maps so much ) you still can only move around so much (which is still more than everything after IX I guess).
    Considering my favorite game is FFX, I personally never made that argument.

I honestly think people have been giving the wrong criticism to FFXIII. Again, it's problem wasn't linearity. It was a lack of variety and pacing.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    robvandam111
    Items User name style
    Considering my favorite game is FFX, I personally never made that argument.

I honestly think people have been giving the wrong criticism to FFXIII. Again, it's problem wasn't linearity. It was a lack of variety and pacing.
    You need to get BACK ON FFXII....

Thread Information