What do game developers themselves want to see from the Xbox 720 and PlayStation 4?

Published on Jul 20, 2012
Wii U is almost here. Xbox 720 and PS4 could be revealed in 2013. But what will these mysterious new machines offer in terms of amazing visuals and new gameplay experiences?

We asked eight prominent videogame developers on what they want to see from as-yet unannounced console platforms:

Assassinís Creed 3

Matt Turner, Lead Script Writer
"As far as where Assassinís Creed will go, I really canít say. For me itís more than graphical fidelity, which Iím sure it will have. The idea of being connected all the time I think is a strong one, and Iíd like to see that come through. Whether that translates into the games that come out, I couldnít tell you. I would like gaming and consoles to move beyond just being consoles. To have other functions and do them well. As far as what [Sony and Microsoft] are doing, I havenít the foggiest idea, but thatís where Iíd like to see it go. That would be great for Assassinís Creed, for sure. But as far as where itís going, I donít know."
God Of War: Ascension

Todd Papy, Director
"I prefer joystick and buttons versus Move and Kinect. I think it will all go touch screen. Check out [Samsungís TV from CES] Ė very cool tech. If we go with some glove controller Ė more Minority Report, not Power Glove Ė I would prefer something with better response time. More like Vita/iPad connected to your TV."
The Amazing Spider-Man

Brant Nicholas, Executive Producer,
"At the moment, developers have hit the limits of what the current generation of hardware is capable of in terms of data capacity, memory, processing power and streaming speed from the media. As a former artist myself, I am not really waiting for that extra blade of grass to make the world more visually stunning. For the next gen, Iím personally looking forward to the increased processing power and what this will allow people to achieve with in-game AI-driven decision-making. The next set of hardware is shaping up to be a major leap forward in terms of the power of the consoles.

"There will definitely be some impressive titles at launch, but Iím really looking forward to that second round of IPs that will be released once the studios have become experts on the new hardware. My hope is that we will finally be able to integrate truly learning AI that will provide not only adaptive encounters for the player, but also a well-balanced experience that is fun to play for gamers of any skill level. Unfortunately, AI-driven Ďnon-deterministicí gameplay is notoriously difficult to script and still tell a compelling story. In the end, it will be an awesome experience to see how things unfold in the next few years."

Sleeping Dogs

Jeff OíConnell, Senior Producer
"There are two things. First one being console games have become more immersive, certainly with triple-A titles, and I think the ability to tell stories that are better through greater processing power and greater graphical capability, Iím sure that is going to be an aspect of what these consoles bring. As a fan of triple-A experiences myself and a developer of those, I think weíre all looking forward at United Front to that. I think the other aspect of it, which is more of a personal wish list thing, is if thereís some capability or potential to take the physicality into games more.

"Itís going to be hard to beat the standard controller for a game like Sleeping Dogs where youíre going to be playing it for a very long time, but it would be interesting at some point during a game like this to have more interactivity possible Ė more physical interactivity. So maybe down the road some more integration of things like Kinect or Move. Weíll have to see what comes down the pipe, but that would make something interesting, at least for segments of future triple-A games."
Dead Or Alive 5

Yosuke Hayashi, Producer
"I think power is the obvious answer. But itís more than just that Ė itís not all about just having great-looking games or just great graphics. You need more; you need features that can actually enhance videogames and gaming experiences. We really want something that will blow people away, something that lets us really create games that offer players experiences that they canít get from what developers are producing right now."
Dishonored

Viktor Antonov, Visual Design Director
"Iíve had the philosophy of trying to remove everything that doesnít relate to the story. Painters have been doing that for 400 years and have gotten really good at it. So, this is really about more abstract and stylised games Ė thatís the future. I think games, like any media, will try and become photorealistic first, but when thatís done whatís next? Anybody can do photorealism and scan things into a game, but thatís not the point."

Dirt: Showdown

Mike Chapman, Senior Game Designer
"Apart from improvements in hardware power and interaction devices, I think itís going to become vital for developers to have the ability to foster a closer relationship with their players. Itís sometimes very difficult to react to any sort of player feedback, as games normally have a gestation period of a few years, with players being in the dark until the last few months. Itís likely that weíll see much more of a dialogue between developers and players in the future, and Iíd ideally like to see this encouraged across all the main platforms.
http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1494717..._consoles.html