Master Guru

Gaming meets its maker: Flower used in interactive church service

Sing hallelujah for Exeter Cathedral. The 700-year-old Devonian church made history recently by holding a service that used PS3 game Flower as an interactive tool. Editor of Game People Andy Robertson (AKA Wired’s GeekDad) facilitated the event, and proved that videogames and church make for a surprisingly effective mix.The strange combination held lots of possibilities for Robertson. “I gave a talk this year on perspectives on videogames, and some of the clergy from Exeter Cathedral were there,” he explains. “Afterwards, we got talking about how they might use a game in their service. Flower is a good fit with the creation theme.”Projected on to the wall above the congregation, churchgoers were encouraged to play. “The sound was fed into the amplification system,” Robertson explains. “The congregation took turns playing the game. I’d expected the use of a videogame in the faith context to feel a little odd and unusual – maybe even a bit forced – but it felt quite natural. The tranquil feel worked beautifully with the theme of the service.”Jenova Chen, creative director at Flower dev ThatGameCompany, tweeted enthusiastically before and after the event. Currently playable at the Smithsonian Art Gallery in Washington, the PSN offering now seems perfectly at home in a church environment, too. Is there nothing it can’t do?Robertson can be found on
    Twitter @GeekDadGamer
    , and is philosophical on how games affect us. “The most exciting aspect isn’t the tech, graphics or play mechanics, but how people feel when they play them. We invest millions in these ground-breaking ways of telling stories and expressing what it means to be human.” It’s probably for the best that he’s never seen our lunchtime games of FIFA.
    http://www.officialplaystationmagazi...hurch-service/

Master Guru
    Items Legend of ZeldaInsomniac GamesKonamiNaughty DogNintendoMetal Gear SolidFinal Fantasy XI OnlineDark Souls CoverPlayStationDoomDemons Souls Cover
    quick, throw in some titties so they don't use it anymore

Let's be honest: You sleep with anything that walks on two legs. Sometimes, you're not even that discriminating

Elite Guru
    I don't remember 'And the lord said, thou shalt pwn at PlayStation - and so did they pwn' in the bible...

4. Likes AaronSOLDIER , Lebowski likes this post
    Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Praise thy lords essence through sixaxis!

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    Praise the game gods! Lord Sixaxistis!!

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Dedicated Member

And on the 7th day He rested

For He needed to get His game on

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Simple game and very soothing I quite liked it.

Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Simple game and very soothing I quite liked it.
    Definitely agree! I loved the change of pace and the fact that a game could have such a calming effect on me.

Dedicated Member
    I think this is great. Maybe we'll see more appreciation for gaming and less demonizing. Flower was a very soothing and peaceful game (at certain points... it gets pretty dark later on). Journey was even better. Hope the pattern continues with their next game.

Thread Information