Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 6 1 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Sony's PS3 strategy this Christmas is to 'go big on family-friendly titles'

Firm says "this is a neglected genre" on the console

Speaking in the latest issue of Game Informer (via Gaming Everything), Sony Worldwide Studios president Shuhei Yoshida said the firm is relying on third parties to deliver the "big core games" for its home console this holiday season, following the releases of first party efforts Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time and PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale in September and October respectively.

"We'd love to have multi-million sellers for the holiday. But each title needs time to develop, especially new IP like The Last of Us," the executive said. "God of War has always come out in March, so that's a natural time to aim at.

"Our strategy for Christmas is to go big on family-friendly titles. This is a neglected genre for the PlayStation 3, but as it matures, I think it's really important to have these games on the platform. I think we have a great lineup this holiday to complement third parties' big core games."

Yoshida's comments are interesting when placed alongside those made last month by Sony's head of digital games, who criticised Microsoft and Nintendo for neglecting core gamers at E3. "Some of our competitors, seemingly, are losing the plot, forgetting what built this industry," Jack Buser said. "It was the gamer... We are for the gamer first and foremost. Everything we do at PlayStation, we ask ourselves first, 'What's right for the gamer?'"

With the likes of The Last of Us, Beyond: Two Souls and God of War: Ascension, we'd have to agree that Sony has some exciting PS3 games in the works. It's just a shame we won't get to play any of those titles until next year.

Sony's likely to reveal some of its Christmas release plans during its Gamescom conference on August 14, but according to reports we won't be getting the first official news on the much-rumoured PS3 Super Slim.
    via CVG.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    I was just reading about this on another site but it mentioned they are doing it to combat the Wii U

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Master Guru
    I thought this was known since last year?

4. Likes mynd likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Yeah Sony just doesn't have any worthwhile exclusives until next year sometime unless youre a little kid.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 07-24-2012 at 19:41.

Master Guru
    Sony always goes big during the holidays whether it be core experiences or family fun. This year will be no different.

Instead of the 12 days of Christmas you might as well call it the 12 days of Sony. They're the company that keeps on giving.

7. Likes PSgamer28 likes this post
    Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    I'll be getting Sly 4, PSABR and LBP Karting this year. May be family focused but these games still rock me.

9. Likes DeviousOne likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Sly 4 has me super hyped, anyone who played those games is probably gonna get it, best platformer since Crash Bandicoot IMO.

Will be getting LBP KArting too at some point, Beta totally surprised me, its great fun.

Glad Sony are kinda going back to their roots a little bit buy bring all these platformers like the old PS1/2 days.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDug13
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

11. Likes Nitey likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    If that super cheap sku is real SONY is in a great position.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

13. Likes Two4DaMoney likes this post
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    If that super cheap sku is real SONY is in a great position.
    Oh yea they can steal alot of nintendos thunder with a move like that!

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Man imagine if they made a blue Sly 4 limited edition super slim? Day One for sure! Never gonna happen though, they don't even do it for Uncharted/GoW, best they'll do is a blue Sly 4 DualShock, in that case, Day One for sure! Never gonna happen though, they don't even do it for Uncharted/GoW, best they'll do is a limited edition Sly 4, in that case, Day One for sure! None of the above will ever happen though.

Just give me Sly 4 then.
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

16. Likes Ghost likes this post
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Sly 4 it is!!!...o wait im not sony =( lol

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Would be even more hyped if they were using the original cartoon graphics

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    I'm glad Sony are able to make family/casual games that aren't $#@!. Seriously, PSABR, LBP Karting and Sly 4 is Sony catering for the casuals?

"That's how it's done."

I wish they'd release Okami HD on BR. Sony need to market that game as it is easily in line with their family friendly focus.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    I think sony is the most "hardcore" cause some kinect titles make my wii blush LOL

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Soldier 95B
    Gone casual.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    Gone casual.
    Agreed. Sony has finally given in and is going after the casual market this xmas holiday. And I think the reason Sony has their core games like TLOU not coming out till 2013 is because they dont want to have to go up against Halo 4 and COD this holiday season.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeviousOne View Post
    I think sony is the most "hardcore" cause some kinect titles make my wii blush LOL
    I'm really looking forward to the WiiU. I love Nintendo's IP's and they always do their core IP's right. The Wii is underpowered but I'm willing to bet dollars to donuts that they'll be awesome on the U.

As far as casual games go, there is no need to look any further than Nintendo.
    I don't need no stinkin' signature!

24. Likes DeviousOne likes this post
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Man Gamer View Post
    I'm really looking forward to the WiiU. I love Nintendo's IP's and they always do their core IP's right. The Wii is underpowered but I'm willing to bet dollars to donuts that they'll be awesome on the U.

As far as casual games go, there is no need to look any further than Nintendo.
    I def share your view on the wii U also i enjoy nintendo's IPs. Wii U will be interesting to me looking forward to it.

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

General Manager
    PSN ID
    jonnyvito
    Items 3d dot game heroes3d dot game heroesUser name styleMove360 SlimVitaLightningNaughty DogPlayStation
    You can't really blame them. They're shifting PS3s before the PS4 comes along. At this point they might as well get as many people as possible on board. We've still got the core games

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    I'm glad Sony are able to make family/casual games that aren't $#@!. Seriously, PSABR, LBP Karting and Sly 4 is Sony catering for the casuals?
    [CENTER][B]

I wish they'd release Okami HD on BR. Sony need to market that game as it is easily in line with their family friendly focus.
    Err, no, they catering to the family.
    Family does not equal casual.

Quote Originally Posted by ONQ View Post
    I thought this was known since last year?
    Seems only a few of us ever actually read articles.
    Last edited by mynd; 07-26-2012 at 21:03.
    I am no longer participating in these forums, I wish all of you on the PSU Forums the best for the future.

28. Likes AaronSOLDIER , Thorzilla likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    Gone casual.
    I guess the PS1 and PS2 were casual consoles too then. Still, so long as they don't throw every developer into the casual basket like MS, I'll be happy.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    I guess the PS1 and PS2 were casual consoles too then. Still, so long as they don't throw every developer into the casual basket like MS, I'll be happy.
    Every developer? So Halo , Gears, and Forza are all casual games now? lol Then I guess Killzone, GT5 and Starhawk are all casual games too. I've only seen one MS developer get "thrown into the casual basket" and thats Rare. A far cry from "every" developer.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 07-26-2012 at 21:44.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    Every developer? So Halo , Gears, and Forza are all casual games now? lol Then I guess Killzone, GT5 and Starhawk are all casual games too. I've only seen one MS developer get "thrown into the casual basket" and thats Rare. A far cry from "every" developer.
    True Rare all they do (currently) are kinect games.

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

32. Likes AaronSOLDIER likes this post
    Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    I think his point is that this was the label thown at MS.
    The fact that family orientated titles are infact not casual titles, its just that most of them dont appeal to the hardcore.

A lot of people instantly labelled family kinect games as casual simply because it didnt appeal to them.

Fruit Ninja Kinect? Sure that is a casual game. (a lot of frigign fun too).
    Kinect Disney, nope thats a family game.

The porblem Sony has is, they are working in a crowded space, between the Wii, and MS, its going to be hard to break into this market, and even with the titles they have announced, they are really only aiming at the PSP owning 10-13 year olds.

My 2 daughters both play Dance Central, Kinect Disney and Viva Piniata (and now Minecraft but thats a different story).
    I dont really see anythign in Sonys line up that is going to steal any of that sort of thunder outside of wonderbook.

Quote Originally Posted by DeviousOne View Post
    True Rare all they do (currently) are kinect games.
    And even thats not really correct, they have done 1 Kinect game and helped out on another.
    But Rares output has been awefull 1 title in about 4 years is not fantastic.
    Last edited by mynd; 07-26-2012 at 22:15.
    I am no longer participating in these forums, I wish all of you on the PSU Forums the best for the future.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    Well put.

First MS gets blamed for being a shooter only console in another thread and now they are only developing casual games.

I really wish the people around here would make up their minds.
    I don't need no stinkin' signature!

Thread Information