Veteran

AMD game console chip exec departs for NVIDIA

This just reinforces the likelihood the GPU for the PS4 is going to be Nvidia, not AMD/ATI. Sony may not be totally happy with their working relationship with Nvidia but with Maxwell not far away, they are the only real powerhouse GPU choice.

AMD game console chip exec departs for NVIDIA

The executive at AMD chiefly responsible for getting the company's graphics chips inside the Xbox 360 and the Wii game consoles has now left the company. The Wall Street Journal reported today that Bob Feldstein departed the company on Friday and came to work for one of its biggest rivals, NVIDIA, this week.

The story states that Feldstein previously worked at ATI before AMD acquired the company in 2006. By then, ATI had already signed deals with Microsoft and Nintendo to bring a version of its Radeon graphics chips to the Xbox 360 and Wii game consoles, respectively.

Feldstein, who had the official title of corporate vice president of business development while at AMD also reportedly has signed a deal with Nintendo to put a Radeon-based chip inside the upcoming Nintendo Wii U console. The story adds that he also secured similar deals for the next game console from Sony and Microsoft, even though neither company has commented publicly on their next-gen game console plans.

His new role at NVIDIA will be as its vice president of technology licensing. You can bet that NVIDIA, which got its GeForce chip inside the Playstation 3, would like to have its hardware inside future game consoles as well.
    Sauce
    Pacing in wait of Sony's imminent DOOM!...since 2006
    PS4 - The Only Hardcore Gaming Console = All Your Baserape Are Belong To Us

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    So...... The point is they are following the man who signed the deal. I see allegedly similar deals have been made (though honestly who else would be supplying the chips?) but I'm lost as to how this shows NVIDIA chips winning the hot seat for PS4.

3. Likes Xelios, daLa likes this post
    Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by D3seeker View Post
    So...... The point is they are following the man who signed the deal. I see allegedly similar deals have been made (though honestly who else would be supplying the chips?) but I'm lost as to how this shows NVIDIA chips winning the hot seat for PS4.
    Agreed, I don't see how can they draw such conclusion from this. PS4 & Xbox 720 could both be running on AMD graphic cards for all we know.

Elite Sage
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Yeah this doesn't prove anything.
    I once ate a dirty sock...don't tell anyone.
    World domination has taken a momentary setback...talk amongst yourselves in the meantime.
    UK>America. its just true

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    lol What a ridiculous article. How they arrived at that conclusion based on just that I dont know. This doesn't prove anything.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Syphon_Filter
    Items User name styleinFamousPSN LogoBattlefield 3NvidiaSteamPS3 SlimVita
Gift received at 01-31-2013 from Metal King SlimeColeBattlefield 3
    I would like to see GTX GPU on PS4 called GTX1010 LOL.

CPU: I7 3820--GPU: Asus Gtx 670 2GB--Motherboard: BioStar TpowerX79--HDD: Seagate 2TB--CPU COOLING: Corsair Hydro H80--Case: CoolerMaster RC932 Haf--RAM: 16GB 1333 DDR3 Corsair--Sony Dvd X18 Player: Power Supply: Seasonic 760W--Windows 7 64Bit, Monitor: HP Led 2311X--TV: Samsung LED TV 120HZ Un40d6000--PS3 Super Slim 1TB HDD--PS3 Slim 750GB--PS VITA 32GB.

Thread Information