Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Markus

The type of Cloud Gaming we could see on PlayStation (or other devices)

I just wanted to bring this to everyone's attention, in case you didn't know.

Gaikai (the Cloud Gaming service that Sony recently acquired) announced a partnership with nVIDIA back in May. This brought nVIDIA's GRID technology together with Gaikai's cloud platform to acheive the following goals:
    -lower server latency
    -increased server density (4x)
    -lower costs per user
    -higher performance video encoding

Basically to make the cloud gaming experience more like having the image rendered locally.

Source:
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/cloud-gaming.html (includes a couple of tech demos)

Press release:
    http://www.nvidia.com/content/PDF/NV...e-Study-HR.pdf

Imagine instantly accessing your game collection (and new games!) on any PlayStation Certified (PlayStation Mobile) device (including smartphones and PSVita). Playing against your friends no matter where you are, no matter what device you have with you (how about not paying for the same game twice!?) Or not having to wait for patches or installs on games you own. Or how about not having to spend time downloading games off PSN? Personally, I think streaming the 60-minute game trials would be a really good idea.

Another good thing about Cloud Gaming is the benefits to developers. They don't need to worry about piracy (at least not in the same capacity...) and the learning curve for new machines is non-existant.

The only issue I see with this is the impact on the hardware market (but this isn't an issue on consoles-ironic that this is pushed by nvidia haha). On the other hand, I don't think every single gamer is willing (or has the capability) to switch to a 100% cloud system at this very moment. However, I do think that giving gamers the option in the next generation (Microsoft is reportedly relying heavily on cloud services for the next xbox) could help usher in the era of cloud gaming.

I'm not trying to argue that Cloud Gaming is better (I personally shudder to think of not having a bookcase full of game cases) and it's definitely possible that Sony won't implement any of that but I just want to get people thinking.

PS4 Launch Edition
    PS3 60GB (Upgraded to 500GB)
    Phenom II X4 955, HD 7770 1GB, 6GB RAM

If you add my PSN say you're from PSU or I might delete it!

The problem is that there are a lot of people that would rather have the hard copy of the game. It makes you feel better, you know someone can not hack into your account and delete a few hundred dollars worth of games in a minute. Of course someone could break into your house to destroy your real video games, but deleting them off a cloud is MUCH easier!

Superior Member

Quote Originally Posted by genesis-ch View Post
    The problem is that there are a lot of people that would rather have the hard copy of the game. It makes you feel better, you know someone can not hack into your account and delete a few hundred dollars worth of games in a minute. Of course someone could break into your house to destroy your real video games, but deleting them off a cloud is MUCH easier!
    Why would someone delete your video games off your account?? That sounds stupid. Sony or Gaikai would have a record/receipt of your transaction if not you have an email confirmation. People don't want to do it because of poor internet quality/speed and limits and simply because they participate in the used gaming industry and you can't trade in a digital copy. Those are really the only reasons for not wanting this. Everything else is a benefit....from not having to get up to put the disc in to saving money going to the store waiting for it to be delivered. Soon enough retailers will all sell digital copies and we will see prices go down just as much as we do the physical copies. What I would like to see is Sony offer better prices on the PSN on their digital copies...I mean if I can go to Target or Walmart or order it off Amazon (physical copy) cheaper than I can download...that doesn't make sense.

Related to that can I use the Amazon app to download straight to my PS3? I think it is only for watching amazon prime movies but that would be a great app.

Thread Information