Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Gun sales skyrocket after Colorado massacre

Gun sales skyrocket after Colorado massacre

[COLOR=#999999 !important]Reuters/Joshua Lott

[/COLOR]
    TRENDS:Colorado theater shooting
    TAGS: Retail, Arms, Crime, USA
    The theater shooting in Colorado last week continues to generate discussions about firearms in America, but it is doing more than just getting people to talk. Gun sales in Colorado have skyrocketed in the days since the Aurora, CO massacre.
    James Holmes, 24, is being held in connection with the Friday morning outburst that left 12 people dead and injured dozens more. Authorities allege that Holmes opened fire shortly after the midnight screening of Batman: The Dark Knight Rises began at the Century Aurora 16 theater. Only hours later, though, locals were lining up in droves to equip themselves with the same kinds of weaponry.
    Jake Meyers tells the Denver Post that he arrived for work at Rocky Mountain Guns and Ammo on early Friday to find a line of 15 to 20 people waiting outside of the store. Three days later, he said surging gun sales yielded "probably the busiest Monday all year" and that, for the first time all year, firearms classes taught by the store’s staff were booked for three weeks straight.
    "It's been insane," Meyers says.
    "A lot of it is people saying, 'I didn't think I needed a gun, but now I do,' " Meyers adds. "When it happens in your backyard, people start reassessing — 'Hey, I go to the movies.' "
    The Denver Post reveals that, in only the three days after the shooting, the Colorado Bureau of Investigation approved background checks for 2,887 people interested in purchasing a firearm, signaling a 43 percent jump from the week before and a 39 percent increase from the same time in 2011.
    "We've definitely had an increase," Dion Studinski of the nearby Firing-Line gun store and shooting range confirms to the Post.
    It’s not just the small-town shop owners who are thriving either. Although both the Standard & Poor’s 500 and the Dow Industrial Average fell 1.9 percent and 1.7 percent, respectively, between the closing bell on Thursday and the end of Monday, the only two publicly-traded gun makers saw their shares defy the rest of the market. Smith & Wesson, the makers of at least one of the weapons allegedly used by Holmes, saw their shares drop by only 0.01 percent; Strum, Ruger saw their value spike up by 3.6 percent during the same span.

Alleged shooter James Holmes made his first court appearance on Monday morning. He is expected to be charged with crimes related to the massacre next week.
    Link: http://rt.com/usa/news/gun-colorado-people-percent-972/

You see nothing changes

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    Not shocked to see that given the recent events the public doesnt feel safe anymore

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Not only do they want protection, but they probably figure it's a good idea to stock up on weapons before the government increases gun control.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    Not only do they want protection, but they probably figure it's a good idea to stock up on weapons before the government increases gun control.
    Yep, you got that right.

The Heisman
    now instead of having to deal with the off chance that a psycho walks into your theater...

...you get to deal with the reality that you're in a theater surrounded by a bunch of idiots with guns.

quite the trade off.

By Theft
    I am stunned that some people appear to love their Playstation(1,2,3) or Xbox(360) more than I love the Denver Broncos.
    Trust me, it's sad

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by DayWalker View Post
    now instead of having to deal with the off chance that a psycho walks into your theater...

...you get to deal with the reality that you're in a theater surrounded by a bunch of idiots with guns.

quite the trade off.
    I'd rather have an idiot beside me with a gun who may end up saving my life than...not having one.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    I'd rather have an idiot beside me with a gun who may end up saving my life than...not having one.
    I'll try and be there.

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    I'll try and be there.
    lol but it's sad that no one was there that could've saved them...it's like, where are all these gun owners when you need them?

Then again, I'm sure not all owners keep it with them all the time.

Master Guru
    Items Dark SoulsDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover

quite the trade off.
    So true, man.

Americans and their gun obsession...

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrath View Post
    So true, man.

It's one of our rights here so of course we take it seriously. All people should take their rights seriously.
    I don't need no stinkin' signature!

The Heisman
    I admire your optimism. However my argument centers on the fact that idiot(s) are far more likely to kill you than save you...

Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    Right, because Police Officers receive training that is so superior, right?

:rollseyes:

You would be shocked if you know how lax the standards are for most police departments weapons qualifications. Also most police officers aren't interested in guns so they have little reason to practice with their weapon outside of qualification.

And I'd rather take my chances with a fully armed theater than with a completely unarmed theater.

I'm not sure what you want me to do with this...
    you seem to be countering with "well nobody is properly trained to use a firearm"... I don't think this helps your case...???

Quote Originally Posted by Old Man Gamer View Post
    It's one of our rights here so of course we take it seriously. All people should take their rights seriously.
    Of course they should. That doesn't mean that you do away with any and all common sense laws/rules/regulations...

its funny... most of you feel the exact same way about "the masses" as I do... until the topic turns to guns. Then all of a sudden everyone is competent and responsible and should be given the benefit of the doubt... its quite entertaining
    Last edited by DayWalker; 07-29-2012 at 19:55.

By Theft
    I am stunned that some people appear to love their Playstation(1,2,3) or Xbox(360) more than I love the Denver Broncos.
    Trust me, it's sad

Forum Sage
    I admire your optimism. However my argument centers on the fact that idiot(s) are far more likely to kill you than save you...

I'm not sure what you want me to do with this...
    you seem to be countering with "well nobody is properly trained to use a firearm"... I don't think this helps your case...???

Of course they should. That doesn't mean that you do away with any and all common sense laws/rules/regulations...

its funny... most of you feel the exact same way about "the masses" as I do... until the topic turns to guns. Then all of a sudden everyone is competent and responsible and should be given the benefit of the doubt... its quite entertaining
    I'm saying that while there will be some idiots out there, most gun owners have a genuine interest in firearms that motivates them to practice to hone their skills, unlike most police officers who rarely do more than the req. minimum which is usually insufficient.

You do understand how a right works? You cannot take it away with legislation. Should gun owners practice/have training before they use/carry their guns, yes. Should they be forced to, to exercise their right, no.

Forum Overseer
    You mean in a different scenario where there isn't a psycho shooting at me already?

In a situation such as the one just occurred, I'd rather someone had a gun other than the shooter himself.

In a different situation like the shooting of trayvon? I can agree there.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrath View Post
    So true, man.

Germans and their political correctness obsession...

Master Guru
    Items Dark SoulsDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    Germans and their political correctness obsession...

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    Bootleg moveis for me yay!

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Forum Sage

It's not surprising that people want to protect themselves. Unfortunately, the government isn't helping any with the renewed threats of stricter gun control. I'm glad to see the sales skyrocket.

Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    I can guarantee you, 100% that if they make a nationwide ban on guns in the US, the crime rate will sky rocket. Just remember this.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    its the case of, i have more guns than you

But i believe the USA will kill each other one off these days and the out side world will just sit back and say " TOLD YOU SO "

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by claud3 View Post

But i believe the USA will kill each other one off these days and the out side world will just sit back and say " TOLD YOU SO "
    lol, very comical...

Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by claud3 View Post

Don't worry, by the time the US kills itself off the UK will be mostly asian and arabic.

And actually, if the trend of the past 20 years continues for another 20 years then the UK murder rate will be higher than the US. Your overall violent crime is already 5 times higher than the US. Walking the streets of Detroit is safer than a midnight stroll through Manchester or London.

You know, there is a country in the Western Hemisphere with nearly identical gun control laws to the UK. Care to guess what that country is?

MEXICO

So, if you want to see how well your British style gun bans work, come visit Ciudad Juraez sometime. Bring kevlar.

Veteran
    Items LiverpoolUser name style
    If a properly trained individual with a license to carry was in the theater maybe he could have saved some lives.

Assuming everyone is an idiot is a bigger idiocy.

The Heisman
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibby View Post
    If a properly trained individual with a license to carry was in the theater maybe he could have saved some lives.

Assuming everyone is an idiot is a bigger idiocy.
    naw. I've seen these "properly trained" individuals...
    I've seen the "requirements" to get a license to carry.

someone with the IQ of a rottweiler would have no problem passing.

And there are a lot more idiots in the world than there are psychos. Simple truth.

By Theft
    Trust me, it's sad

Forum Sage
    naw. I've seen these "properly trained" individuals...
    I've seen the "requirements" to get a license to carry.

someone with the IQ of a rottweiler would have no problem passing.

And there are a lot more idiots in the world than there are psychos. Simple truth.
    Right, because Police Officers receive training that is so superior, right?

:rollseyes:

You would be shocked if you know how lax the standards are for most police departments weapons qualifications. Also most police officers aren't interested in guns so they have little reason to practice with their weapon outside of qualification.

And I'd rather take my chances with a fully armed theater than with a completely unarmed theater.

Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    -shrugs-

I bought my Sig TACOPS 1911 this past week in no small part because of the renewed interest in the "gun control" debate by politicians after the shooting.

I've been procrastinating getting a handgun due to cost, but this pushed me over the edge finally.

Contrary to what many think, an armed society is not dangerous nor has this traditionally been the case.

So now I'm well protected. Also I anticipated this kind of reaction, so there's a fair chance prices will shoot up nation wide in the next few months as people scramble to arm themselves. So I saved myself some money I figure.

@Blackwolf

The 2nd Amendment, contrary to the ATF's interpretation, was not crafted by the founding fathers for "sporting purposes" and "self defense only". The explicit objective of our leaders was to arm a populace so that the government would think twice before abusing them.

Put differently, "Self defense" was always meant to possibly include the government or some other body. This is why it is meant to be a "God given and inalienable right".

Furthermore, I'm unsure how AK47's and AR15's are "excessive" for self defense. Explain this rationale to me, if you please. You clearly aren't taking issue with the 7.62x39mm and 5.56x45mm round respectively- just the platforms.

Furthermore, for the love of all that is holy, explain to me exactly what constitutes an "Assault Rifle" because I and legions of others are dying to know why this nefarious term means anything. Is it a rifle that shoots a smaller round? Is it a magazine fed rifle? A weapon designed for and\or by a military?

And if so, why is this a problem? The weapon was designed to kill other human beings, clearly, so to me that fits the role of self defense just fine.
    Did you really just buy a bastardized 1911, from Sig nonetheless?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave-The-Rave View Post
    Yeah, but stupid people without guns are harmless...see what I did there?
    Do you have any idea how much worse Colorado could have been if the guy used Moltov $#@!tails or pipe bombs instead of his guns?

Or perhaps poision gas/chemical weapons.

For all his planning he did a very poor job of carrying out his intended goals.

lol but it's sad that no one was there that could've saved them...it's like, where are all these gun owners when you need them?

Then again, I'm sure not all owners keep it with them all the time.
    You know there are restrictions on where you can carry. In CO, movie theaters above a certain seating capacity are off limits for legal carry.

Also even if somebody in the audience did have a gun on them, they are under no obligation to draw it and use if if they don't feel confident in their ability to make a proper shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Wolf View Post
    Different guns have different power.

What? I never said anything about "Assault Rifles".

I have a big problem with this statement. Self Defense DOES NOT always mean killing a person.

If a guy attacks you with his fists, all you have to do is shoot him in the knees, conflict ended. It's the same way if he had a gun. Disable him, but killing is not always necessary.

Now I can understand if killing is an absolute must, but a lot of times it's not. The Jayvon Martin case comes to mind. He didn't have to kill that boy even if it was in self defense. Shooting him is one thing, but that man shot to kill.

Like I said, I'm not hoping for gun bans, for gun regulations.
    When you draw your weapon (Police or the average joe) you draw it to shoot to kill. You never shoot to wound. That is the entire point of carrying a gun. You draw it and intend to use it as a last resort, you don't use lethal force to give warning shots or non life threatening wounds. You want the neutralize the threat as fast as possible. Which means that you want to shoot for center mass to incapacitate. Whether that incapacitation is lethal or not is another matter.

And gun regulations are just another hidden term for gun bans/exclusions.

Of course it doesn't help when you have idiots trying to create these gun laws that know nothing about firearms. So you end up with stupid guns laws (not sure if there is even such a thing as good gun laws) that make no sense, and unjustly penalize the law abiding citizens.

One example is the recently renewed call for bans on "assault weapons" like AR/AK pattern rifles. Yet handguns are fine?

They say its a capacity issue, no need for more than 10 rounds in a rifle? Yet there are pistols with standard capacity magazines that can hold up to ~20 rounds.

Lethality? Sorry, but these intermediate rounds pose less of a threat than full power rifle rounds in most cases.

Overpenetration? The .223/5.56 round has been proven to have the least penetration of any common caliber (rifle, pistol, or shotgun) which makes it the ideal round for home protection.

I can go on and on all day about how stupid these "gun regulations" are.

Then you have statements like this:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1697708.html

I wish it would happen. A 2 week strike. Announce all the locations where LEO's would go on strike. Then just wait and see which areas suffer more crime than others. Hint, its the areas where people can't exercise their 2A rights as freely as they can in other areas.

And of course the guy is so spineless he takes it back:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...p_ref=politics

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibby View Post
    If a properly trained individual with a license to carry was in the theater maybe he could have saved some lives. Assuming everyone is an idiot is a bigger idiocy.
    I totally agree.

Thread Information