Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
    PSU Editor-in-chief
    PSN ID
    geist226
    Items User name styleFull Metal AlchemistYunaGuerrilla GamesNaughty DogDaft PunkDeus Ex HR AdamAtlusFinal Fantasy X

PSU - 55 percent of you think God of War III is better than Red Dead Redemption

Read more here: http://www.psu.com/a016300/55-percen...ead-Redemption

Our Ultimate PS3 Showdown is in full swing, and with the first round of match-ups complete, we've had time to take a look at the results and dig a little deeper into what it all means.

One of the closest match-ups of them all was destined to be God of War III vs. Red Dead Redemption - a visceral, polished, totally epic PS3 exclusive set against a masterpiece of open-world design in a unique historical setting. It was close all the way to the bitter end, but when all the votes were in, God of War III came ahead with a clear majority - 55.43% to Red Dead's 44.57%.

Both of these games deserve heaps of praise, and are undeniably among the greatest titles of this generation. However, in selecting God of War III as the better game, PSU readers "thwarted the system". On aggregate ranking site Metacritic, Red Dead Redemption holds an absolutely stellar rating of 95 while God of War III's respectable 92 rating trails behind. Critics were clearly enchanted with John Marston's tale over Kratos' third quest, so why wasn't the same result reflected in our poll?

Perhaps the emotional attachment that gamers developed for Kratos over two prior adventures helped raise God of War III to new heights, heights unappreciated by critics without the same feelings. Perhaps the legion of PlayStation fans that PSU serves came out in full force to support an exclusive IP. Perhaps the Metacritic system is broken, and fails to provide an accurate picture of game quality by focusing only on the numbers.

So, our question is, why? What is it about God of War III that struck a chord with you over Red Dead Redemption? Use the comments below, or this thread, to join the discussion and tell us why you voted the way that you did. Let's get to the bottom of this interesting result.

Elite Member

PS3 fans voting that a good exclusive is better than another good multiplatform game means perhaps metacritic is broken?????

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Who cares it was still close. Good battle.

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

PSU Editor-in-chief
    PSN ID
    geist226
    Items User name styleFull Metal AlchemistYunaGuerrilla GamesNaughty DogDaft PunkDeus Ex HR AdamAtlusFinal Fantasy X
    Quote Originally Posted by Super_Lilith View Post
    PS3 fans voting that a good exclusive is better than another good multiplatform game means perhaps metacritic is broken?????
    Metacritic is inherently flawed regardless. Best used as a general measure, not an accurate picture of quality versus other games.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by KyleOnTheRun View Post
    Metacritic is inherently flawed regardless. Best used as a general measure, not an accurate picture of quality versus other games.
    Indeed it is. Not to mention that so many people take the score to heart as a great indication of quality. Hardly the case though.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    I voted RDR smh lol

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Elite Member
    I don't see any sort of system being defied or anything because the Metascores are just the aggregate opinions of other people as well. So that group of people thought RDR was slightly better and we thought GoW3 was better.

Tapatalking from my bed. Ya mutha says hi.
    Thanks to Kwesnoth for the sig!

TheCinemaJack Movie Reviews!

Editor & Moderator
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX
    I think that God of War has the advantage of seniority and a popular fan base. If an excellent first person shooter were released, it likely wouldn't beat out Call of Duty or Halo at first, and likely never would, because it wouldn't have the fan base that those games have. God of War has had several titles, obviously, each of which have garnered the franchise more support and more fans.

Both Red Dead Redemption and God of War III are excellent titles, and are both of great quality in different ways. If God of War didn't have such a large fan base, I expect that there would be much less of a tilt, closer to a tie. I could be wrong, but that's how I see it.
    Read my work on Medium, my blog, and connect with me on Twitter.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Someone made a comment on the fact that they chose GoW3 over RDR because this is the Ultimate PS3 Game voting, not the Ultimate Console Game voting. This further shows why I feel the votes were not honest and the better games were not all voted on. Oh well...

10. Likes *goo, neoxthexone likes this post
    PSU Editor-in-chief
    PSN ID
    geist226
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    Someone made a comment on the fact that they chose GoW3 over RDR because this is the Ultimate PS3 Game voting, not the Ultimate Console Game voting. This further shows why I feel the votes were not honest and the better games were not all voted on. Oh well...
    I feel you, but it's the reality of democracy.

12. Likes DeviousOne , Lethal likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    the_mooninites
    Items ICO
    I voted for RDR but obviously no game is more deserving then the other just a matter of personal opinion. Hell, there could be someone out there that thinks Naughty Bear is the best game ever made

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    And no doubt the 360 fans here voted RDR just because its multiplat.

Majority of votes were probably from people who actually played both and gave an honest opinion.

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by mooninites View Post
    I voted for RDR but obviously no game is more deserving then the other just a matter of personal opinion. Hell, there could be someone out there that thinks Naughty Bear is the best game ever made

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2
    Indeed. All my votes were in fact opinion based and I'm sure the majority of voters voted for the same reason. I don't know why some are in denial that a certain game got more votes while another should be voted on just because they're good(In their opinion).

For example if they had a poll to vote between, Skyrim, Fallout 3 and Atelier Totori, I'll definitely vote on Totori!. I honestly think that the game(Hell, even Atelier Meruru) are better then the first two games I mentioned. It's all a matter of preference no matter how you want to see it.
    Last edited by Fon; 07-29-2012 at 02:53.

16. Likes Kauldron likes this post
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post

Majority of votes were probably from people who actually played both and gave an honest opinion.
    Yep that's the way I see it. I played both and honestly though RDR was the better game so that's how I voted.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    I loved GOW3 but I thought RDR was flat out just a better game.

Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER

I really don't think it had anything to do with it being mulit-plat. It's just a matter of opinion. Rockstar San Diego is a solid studio. This game didn't win a lot GOTY awards for nothing.

Elite Guru
    Own both on PS3. God of War III was good. Red Dead Redemption was better.

Also, on the overall standings; Uncharted 3 better than Arkham City? Lol.

Elite Member

Most people on this forum are PS3 biased fans because naturally this is a PS3 fan site, they would have well out-numbed 360 fans.

Gamers are all about bias fanboys (and girls) and console wars, it's more fun and rage this way.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    I voted for the game I liked better. I voted Batman over U3, Portal 2 over KZ2 and Bioshock over inFamous. Could it be that the end results simply reflect the tastes of the people who voted? Nooooo wayyyyy!!!

22. Likes Kauldron likes this post
    Elite Guru
    Most people on this forum are PS3 biased fans because naturally this is a PS3 fan site, they would have well out-numbed 360 fans.

Gamers are all about bias fanboys (and girls) and console wars, it's more fun and rage this way.
    Speak for yourself, thanks.

24. Likes Nitey likes this post
    Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    Lol. Who cares?

User scores on Metacritic have

RDRps3 - 8.5
    GoW3 - 8.7
    RDR360 - 8.8

GoW3 keeping that average being the most user-reviewed

--

They're obviously amazing games. Opinions are opinions.

For me, RDR is a better game and it's in my top 5 games of all time.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    I voted RDR ive played both on PS3 GOW3 was an excellent game but it wasnt anything new RDR was something i never played before and i got extremely addicted to playing that game.

It was a close poll tho thats for sure

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    I really don't think it had anything to do with it being mulit-plat. It's just a matter of opinion. Rockstar San Diego is a solid studio. This game didn't win a lot GOTY awards for nothing.
    Didn't say it wasn't, just pointing out the obvious that a lot people wouldve voted one way or the other simply because of the platform.

Quote Originally Posted by DeviousOne View Post
    I voted RDR ive played both on PS3 GOW3 was an excellent game but it wasnt anything new RDR was something i never played before and i got extremely addicted to playing that game.

It was a close poll tho thats for sure
    Just for the record RDR is the second game in the Red Dead series, but yeah RDR was the first for many.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    And no doubt the 360 fans here voted RDR just because its multiplat. Majority of votes were probably from people who actually played both and gave an honest opinion.
    lol So basically what youre saying is that anybody that voted for RDR was just being 360 biased and anybody that voted for GOW 3 was actually being honest. Right. Of course theres no possibility at all that PS3 fans voted for GOW 3 just because its a PS3 exclusive right? No of course not. lol
    Last edited by mistercrow; 07-29-2012 at 20:08.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Didn't say it wasn't, just pointing out the obvious that a lot people wouldve voted one way or the other simply because of the platform.

Just for the record RDR is the second game in the Red Dead series, but yeah RDR was the first for many.
    Yes thats true and it was my first RDR game. Looking forward to the next one!

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    lol So basically what youre saying is that anybody that voted for RDR was just being 360 biased and anybody that voted for GOW 3 was actually being honest. Right. Of course theres no possibility at all that PS3 fans voted for GOW 3 just because its a PS3 exclusive right? No of course not. lol

Nope, don't put words in my mouth. You clearly missed the second part of my post (or maybe not, just chose to ignore it):

Also, I find it odd that you call me out, when you said nothing about this:

Which is essentially the same thing but from the about the other fanbase. No of course not.

Honestly don't get you sometimes.
    Last edited by AaronSOLDIER; 07-29-2012 at 21:53.

31. Likes TEJ2025, Ghost likes this post

Thread Information