Forum Sage

RTS: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion

Did a quick search of the PC gaming forum and didn't find anything for the game.

First of all, to date there have been 5 releases for the game. Sins of a Solar Empire/Entrenchment/Diplomacy/Trinity(all 3 of the previous) and now Rebellion (Stand alone expansion with all content) You'd only have to make one purchase for Rebellion now.

If any of you haven't ever heard of this game, and you're a fan of RTS, I would highly recommend you look it up. It's a huge game with matches that can take anywhere from an hour to eight hours to complete. Although admittedly matches start out outrageously slow, but by the time you start getting 5 planets in your empire you'll feel like you don't have enough time to deal with the constant barrage of attacks from your enemies fleets, pirates, or an enemies bomber squadron that only came through to blast your planet to pieces. The game strikes a good balance between waging war, managing your planets defenses while also allowing you to pursue diplomatic ways of winning games. You'll find more often than not that making alliances is the only way to survive giant games that span multiple solar systems, as managing your trade routes becomes problematic when they cross between enemy territory and someone you have a trade alliance with. (enemy factions can blow up your trade ships and take away your money)

I wont lie, the game is not overly complex. But requires a great deal of planning when you play on higher difficulties, without a solid strategy you simply can not keep up.

Besides the point. The game's excellent, pick it up. Get in here so we can discuss all the fun ways we screw over the computer.

Trailer:

Screen Shots:
    1080P Images of Research Menu and the Overview of the Galactic Map.

2. Likes Valefor likes this post
    PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    I've owned SoaSE and the expansions on each of their releases, this is the only one I have yet to purchase at release and that's the reason why, because it's basically all of them as a single product. Having said that there is now 6 races but it's meaningless as it's basically 3 races with 2 skins each.

I might get it but only if it's cheaper. Love the series so far mind and one of my most played games of all time.

Forum Sage
    I can agree that if you've purchased the previous copies it's hard to justify this expansion. Being the only meaningful difference is Titans + Each race has 1 or 2 unique abilities between factions. I made the thread for the game in general, however even amongst my close friends no one has really heard of the game.

They've updated the graphics a bit also, but it's not very noticeable.

PSU Technical Advisor
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Question. Do you have to buy all of the prior games? Or is this a stand alone title?

IF you can buy and play this alone, what do you lose out on if you don't buy the others in the series?

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    The only difference between the first three (or rather Trinity) and Rebellion is the story, that's it really. Rebellion is a standalone game and essentially you could call it SoaSe 2 but it's not really a sequel per se unlike a traditional sequel. Get either Trinity or Rebellion but the way Trinity works you have to switch in between the expansions on which you want to play, with Rebellion it's simply all there as is so that would be the better option to get.

Forum Sage
    You can buy Rebellion and you get all other content. Rebellion gets you 12 new ships in total. 1 unique Titans per faction, 1 new capital ship per race, and Corvettes (pretty much cheap cannon fodder)

And some changes to the skill trees. If you're starting out, Rebellion is all you need.

PSU Technical Advisor
    Perfect.

El Presidente
    I like this types of games I really do and I've played Sins before but I never know how to manage things and get overwhelmed. And I literally do get overwhelmed. The enemy always sends a cluster$#@! of ships at me lol

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by podsaurus View Post
    I like this types of games I really do and I've played Sins before but I never know how to manage things and get overwhelmed. And I literally do get overwhelmed. The enemy always sends a cluster$#@! of ships at me lol
    That happened to me a game or two ago. The computer completely forwent on getting a Capital Ship in the beginning of the game and just harassed me 5 minutes in and had like 20 frigates. (On a good note though, it seems so far in Rebellion it's less likely EVERY computer player attacks you) If it wasn't for a timely pirate raid to distract him I would have never been able to expand.

You have to focus on being able to defend yourself first, or else the Computer will stomp you. I don't start expanding until I have at least 15 ships to capture and hold a planet, and on Hard that's almost never enough.
    Last edited by Tribunal; 07-30-2012 at 00:59.

PSU Technical Advisor
    Can you destroy planets like in Master of Orion?

Forum Sage
    Nah, unfortunately not. You can only take them over.

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    When I start the game I always first create in this order:
    • 2 Scouts (send all available scouts to auto explore)
    • Capital Ship factory
    • As many Skirmishers as your unit cap can manage
    • Capital ship for colonising

Remember that your first Capital ship is free! With the shed load of Skirmishers you'll build you'll be able to fend off the enemy fine, and when they do come then build a few turrets near entry point.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Varsh View Post
    When I start the game I always first create in this order:
    • 2 Scouts (send all available scouts to auto explore)
    • Capital Ship factory
    • As many Skirmishers as your unit cap can manage
    • Capital ship for colonising

Remember that your first Capital ship is free! With the shed load of Skirmishers you'll build you'll be able to fend off the enemy fine, and when they do come then build a few turrets near entry point.

Pretty sound strategy, so much so that in Rebellion quick start; 2 scouts and the Capital Ship Factory are already waiting for you in the beginning, along side your planets mining facilities on asteroids already being built. I was pretty surprised when that eliminated my first 8 clicks.

You can turn that feature off though.

If I'm advent I opt to build Hangers instead of turrets. I expand quickly to planetary "choke points" and fortify the every living crap out of them. The TEC loyalists also allow you to do this, even easier really. TEC:L has a research perk to build 2 Starbases in one gravity well. Which is great until they hit you with long range siege ships, I can't remember what they're called.

Dedicated Member

Thanks for the insight. I'll look out for it to see if it goes on sale.

PSU Technical Advisor
    Ok so, is this game purely combat? Or is it an empire management kind of game? Basically is it a 4X title?

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    It's very much so 4x, the maps can be insanely massive, you can have thousands of ships on screen, you need to strike the right economy, and you need to be quite diplomatic at times in order to strike the right advantage (or even put pirates on others xD). I'd say there's a larger emphasis on battles however it's an amazing game.

PSU Technical Advisor
    Sigh, I'm broke right now and can't buy it.. But oh how I wish I could play it! =(

Wish I had heard of this title earlier.

Forum Sage
    For anyone who hasn't purchased this game yet it's on sale on Steam for $14. That's a steal.

Elite Guru
    I purchased it today on Steam. Won't have time to play for a week or two, though.

Also got Shogun 2 DLC I'd missed and the standalone Fall of the Samurai & DLC. Oh, and StarCraft II on Battlenet is on sale too. Also got that. Lol.

Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tribunal View Post
    For anyone who hasn't purchased this game yet it's on sale on Steam for $14. That's a steal.
    Purchased. Thanks for the heads up, I've been waiting for it to go on sale since you started this thread.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    I've bought this, but haven't been able to put time into it.

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Elite Guru
    So, Sins of a Solar Empire: Trinity is also in the Steam sale. Since I already own Rebellion, is it something I should still pick up?

Appreciate there are some responses above saying Rebellion is essentially everything but having looked up a few articles/alternative forum posts - I get the impression there are differences.

Forum Sage
    No, If you've already purchased Rebellion you got all that content.

25. Likes *goo likes this post
    Elite Guru
    Yeah, did a lot more reading and that's the conclusion I've come to; despite some other sites suggesting otherwise. Thanks for the post up, Tribunal.

Played for around 8 hours between yesterday and today. Man, time just disappears. And I haven't even finished my first match, Lol. Mind you, things are now starting to 'click' and I'm progressing a lot faster than I was at the outset.

Question though, how would you typically play the start of a match? Put your time/effort into industrialisation?

Elite Guru
    Built my first Titan yesterday, lives up to it's name - laid waste in both battles I sent it into. Absolutely love this game. Runs on such a grand scale and looks superb when all hell breaks loose.

Thread Information