Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Counting Bro
    PSN ID
    gersfc
    Items Protect yourselfFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVAtlusTidusAuronFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VII

COD4: The best COD?

After reading the replies to my other thread about favourite maps, the general consensus is that COD4 has the best multiplayer maps. Not only that but most people agree it is the best COD game to date.

I bought COD4 2 weeks before W@W was launched, so only played it for those two weeks as i bought W@W on launch day. And yeah it was a good game but if I am honest, I prefer modern warfare 3!

So my question is why is COD4 held in such high regard? Is the maps? Weapons? The fact it was the first COD multiplayer most people played? Or a combination of things?

PSN ID: gersfc

Twitter ID: gers_PSU
    Twitch ID: 19gers87
    Youtube Channel: gers87fc

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    For me, COD4 had the best campaign and the best maps. Though it was the first COD title that I enjoyed.

I hated W@W, MW2 was alright only really got it cause my friends did, Black Ops had a good campaign, MW3 bored me faster online then black ops did I only put 7 hours into it lol

Sig&Av by Kuro

Sometimes streaming Watch_Dogs

PS4 Preorders:
    FarCry4MetroReduxDragonAge3BatmanAKWitcher3DyingLightOrder1886Uncharted4

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Elite Guru
    No, United Offensive was the best game.

Obligatory TapaTalk signature.

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    Well I think MW3 was the $#@!est COD so far. Black Ops is the best I think.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    gangsta_795
    Items Joker (limited ICON)Red Hot Chili PeppersAC/DCEvanescenceNirvanaSteamEA LogoDiablo IIINvidiaManchester UnitedLightningPS3 Fat
    MW2, in my opinion.
    [CENTER]You see, madness, as you know, is like gravity. All it takes is a little push!

Forum Sage

Sorry, I don't understand the question. Was someone under the impression CoD4 wasn't the greatest?

The single player was fantastic - the whole Ghillie in the mist (was that the name?) level was simply amazing - no other game has captured the feeling where you crawl through the level with hundreds of enemy soldiers just feet away from you!

Then the online! My god the online was like nothing experienced on console before. Hands down the best console online shooter this generation. It had some of the best guns (MP5,M4A1, M40A3, R700, G3, G36C, MP44 and the AK47 as a starter weapon)
    The best maps! I think the only map I wasn't really fond of was wetwork (the one on the boat) other than that the maps were all fantastic.

The game modes were all fun, I religiously played Headquarters or HC TDM as in those modes people seemed less tube-happy!!

The game just felt balanced too. I am actually debating trying to have a game on my PS3 but it keeps cutting out

BBK. Tapatalking.

7. Likes Tribunal likes this post
    Counting Bro
    PSN ID
    gersfc
    Items Protect yourselfFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVAtlusTidusAuronFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VII
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBettaKnow View Post
    Sorry, I don't understand the question. Was someone under the impression CoD4 wasn't the greatest?

The single player was fantastic - the whole Ghillie in the mist (was that the name?) level was simply amazing - no other game has captured the feeling where you crawl through the level with hundreds of enemy soldiers just feet away from you!

Then the online! My god the online was like nothing experienced on console before. Hands down the best console online shooter this generation. It had some of the best guns (MP5,M4A1, M40A3, R700, G3, G36C, MP44 and the AK47 as a starter weapon)
    The best maps! I think the only map I wasn't really fond of was wetwork (the one on the boat) other than that the maps were all fantastic.

The game modes were all fun, I religiously played Headquarters or HC TDM as in those modes people seemed less tube-happy!!

The game just felt balanced too. I am actually debating trying to have a game on my PS3 but it keeps cutting out

BBK. Tapatalking.
    It's me that is 'under the impression' cod4 ain't the greatest lol and to be honest you have understood the question better than most lol

The reason that I don't rate COD4 as highly as most is simply because I bought it a year too late (bought it two weeks before W@W was released).

When I played it I kept getting my ass handed to me and didn't know the maps.
    Last edited by Gers; 07-30-2012 at 13:13.

Elite Guru
    Items Naughty DogMetal Gear SolidPlayStation
    I had the most fun on CoD4 over any of them and it was simple and the most balanced out of the lot in my opinion. They just keep making them more complex with every iteration.

oh and watp
    Last edited by EHY893; 07-30-2012 at 15:26.

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    Yeah I think its the best followed up by black ops.

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Counting Bro
    PSN ID
    gersfc
    Quote Originally Posted by emmerich View Post
    I had the most fun on CoD4 over any of them and it was simple and the most balanced out of the lot in my opinion. They just keep making them more complex with every iteration.

oh and watp
    Hello hello good to see another Rangers fan

Yeah everything was a lot simpler in CoD4. Changing the game but one of the things putting me off black ops 2 is the complicated perks that are going on it

PSU Editorial Assistant
    PSN ID
    Diablo_Rosso
    Items User name styleManchester UnitedPlayStation
    It has the best maps and doesn't have all the nonsense of the later games. Easy really.

PSN ID
    Royals26
    Items AppleBattlefield 3Dice
    It's the best because it was so balanced and didn't have 30 overpowered kill streaks going on at once. It actually took some skill to do well in that game, not just sitting in 1 spot using predator missiles getting easy kills.

Forum Sage

Yeah and the helicopters were $#@!ing lethal as well! Didn't have any launchers back then with lock on. You either had to get a sweet hit with an RPG or you had to work as a team and shoot than thing down.

Easily the best out of all of them

M40A3 - ACOG Scope - Slight of Hand, Stopping Power, Steady Aim
    MP5 - Silencer - Bandolier, UAV Jammer - Dead Silence
    G36C - Red Dot Sight - 3 x Grenade (go on, judge me, see if i care ) - Stopping Power - Steady Aim.

Man those are still my favorite classes till this day

15. Likes Royals likes this post
    Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    If yu liek COD 4 because its simplicity then COD 2 is much more simple than COD 4.

No perks
    No streaks
    No millions of weapons
    Better balanced
    Last edited by keefy; 07-30-2012 at 16:24.

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    The guns were ace as well loved using my G3 silenced

‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Quote Originally Posted by Gersfc View Post
    After reading the replies to my other thread about favourite maps, the general consensus is that COD4 has the best multiplayer maps. Not only that but most people agree it is the best COD game to date.

I bought COD4 2 weeks before W@W was launched, so only played it for those two weeks as i bought W@W on launch day. And yeah it was a good game but if I am honest, I prefer modern warfare 3!

So my question is why is COD4 held in such high regard? Is the maps? Weapons? The fact it was the first COD multiplayer most people played? Or a combination of things?

I think World At WAR is the Best

Forum Sage

g3 silenced was a beautiful gun. Got many a headshot with that set up. What was the other single shot rifle? it looked like the M21

Superior Member
    It had

The best campaign
    The Best Maps(Only Black Ops 1 comes close to compare)
    The best balancing

And it is the game all other COD is copy/pasted from lacking innovation in the newer titles, where the innovation in COD4 was amazing for it's time.
    Ride or die Sony(Playstation) supporter since 12/25/1997 Currently playing: Mass Effect 3, NBA 2K14, Tomba,Battlefield 4,Warframe, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows
    Holding down Turtle Power since 1991

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBettaKnow View Post
    g3 silenced was a beautiful gun. Got many a headshot with that set up. What was the other single shot rifle? it looked like the M21
    It was the m14 I believe.

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    Although MW2 is my most played CoD this gen, MW1 was still my favourite so far. The story was ace, and I played a ton of the online - actually had it on my PC . It felt really fresh for back then, and that initial impression has yet to be surpassed by any other CoD so far. Black Ops is probably my 2nd favourite

Counting Bro
    PSN ID
    gersfc
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitey View Post
    Although MW2 is my most played CoD this gen, MW1 was still my favourite so far. The story was ace, and I played a ton of the online - actually had it on my PC . It felt really fresh for back then, and that initial impression has yet to be surpassed by any other CoD so far. Black Ops is probably my 2nd favourite
    Think you hit the nail on the head there. CoD4 was fresh and think that the subsequent CoD games have struggled to replicate that.

Apprentice
    I gotta agree. When I first put COD4 in my (back then: FAT and original launch model 60GB) PS3 and the "Activision/Infinity Ward presents: Call Of Duty 4 : Modern Warfare" logo showed up on my TV, I got VERY excited. I played through the campaign (which was an absolute blast, I mean seriously... it was THAT great back then! the Sniper mission... even the prologue!) and then stepped into multiplayer. It was my first multiplayer experience EVER. I never played MP before. And it just blew me away. I spent a freaking 24 days online playing that game! I think I'm a pretty good COD player, but in COD4 it was different... I can't explain it, but that feeling when you had a run and had a killstreak of 10+... you got that adrenaline rush, and you got even better... you didn't think about strategy, you just played and kicked ass. Once I played with the M14 (the one assault rifle that was the most difficult to handle; single-shot semi automatic and a HUGE load of recoil, and it was extremely loud) on "bog"... All the other players had M4A1's, G36's, MP5's, Barrett's and what not... but I kicked their butts. Lol it was a blast.

I guess everyone of you could tell a story like this. It's that feeling that we'll never get again until some studio develops an online shooter that gets you that excited again, because it's FRESH and it's NEW and it has something to it that gets you excited. COD4 had it. All the CODs that followed - for me - didn't have "it". Maybe Black Ops (for the campaign, the MP... I couldn't get into it because I just like to unlock stuff and the graphics were absolutely unbareable on the PS3 in MP)...

Lol do you guys remember how hyped we all were for MW2? And then it came out and after a few weeks everyone was pissed because it was not as good as COD4. Lol I was SOOO disappointed after a few weeks. But the hype they built up... never before seen I'd say.

25. Likes Kuro likes this post
    Counting Bro
    PSN ID
    gersfc
    Quote Originally Posted by MBS D@v!d View Post

Lol do you guys remember how hyped we all were for MW2? And then it came out and after a few weeks everyone was pissed because it was not as good as COD4. Lol I was SOOO disappointed after a few weeks. But the hype they built up... never before seen I'd say.
    Great post!

I have to be honest and say I loved mw2! I was relieved with it after playing World at War. By the time mw2 came out, I had almost given up with CoD after playing W@W for the year!

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    GreatnessRD
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Gersfc View Post

COD4 is the best because it was still a war based shooter. You didn't have AIM-Assistance, deathstreaks, outlandish killstreaks and Nukes. It was just straight up gun-game and tactical equipment placing. The maps told the story and the perks made sense. Then MW2 comes along and the game got arcadey with its over-the-top bull$#@!. $#@! spawning, ridiculous lag comp and just inferior product in every single way to COD4.

I'm still waiting for a proper sequel to COD4. If Activision would give me map packs, weapons and maintenance on the servers, I'd return right now and pay whatever price they can dream up. $200? No problem.

$Greatness$ Awaits™

Soldier 95B
    COD2 was the best COD to date. MW3 is a close second though.

Thread Information